Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Kino Lorber is putting out Hard Target on UHD! gently caress yeah!

Worth reminding that Kino has Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78, The Silence of the Lambs, and Misery UHDs all up for preorder as well.

Also, they have these coming in 2021...

Touch of Evil (all three cuts in HDR)
Some Like It Hot
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray remaster confirmed, UHD pending)
To Live and Die in L.A.
Cry-Baby
Out of Sight
Mystery Men
Eastern Promises
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
In Bruges
(Plus more MGM/Universal titles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Amazing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, that’s a ridiculously good list. And that’s just one little label! At the same time, thankful I can space out the slow leeching of my dollars to physical media.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I loved Mystery Men when it came out. I've seen it maybe four or five more times since 1999 and each time felt like playing Russian Roulette.

"Is it going to hold up this time?"

CLICK.

Buying it in 1080p is just putting another round in the chamber.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29379

What's the point of a set like this if you're not gonna have Army of Darkness in it? Who wants an expensive collectors set that's incomplete?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People who bought every Harry Potter box set while the series wasn’t complete?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is weirder than that though, because you have the Showtime series in the set as well. So you have the entire Ash story except for this one chunk missing in the middle.

I can't remember, did they ever do a Phantasm set that had Phantasm 2(which has a messy situation with the rights) missing? Because that's a similar situation and there's no way I'd ever buy a Phantasm set without 2 in it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just rewatched Phantasm 2 last night, best in the series. I’d be more likely to buy a box set that is just Phantasm 2 than I would a set of the other 4 movies.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

tonedef131 posted:

I just rewatched Phantasm 2 last night, best in the series. I’d be more likely to buy a box set that is just Phantasm 2 than I would a set of the other 4 movies.

You're in luck! https://www.amazon.com/Phantasm-I-II-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B09BWD49S5/

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

What's the point of a set like this if you're not gonna have Army of Darkness in it? Who wants an expensive collectors set that's incomplete?

isnt there an Army of Darkness 4K set coming too?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I've got this pre-ordered along with Nothing But Trouble and I cannot wait for that package to arrive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'm pretty sure all the stuff in there is just existing releases in a fancy box. How many times do they really need to reissue the Evil Dead movies? I can't think of any movie that has as many new editions and re-releases other than Star Wars.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

I loved Mystery Men when it came out. I've seen it maybe four or five more times since 1999 and each time felt like playing Russian Roulette.

"Is it going to hold up this time?"

CLICK.

Buying it in 1080p is just putting another round in the chamber.

Sometimes I watch a movie and there's a joke that feels like it's in there for me.

The real life music group the Goodie Mob being a supervillain group called the Not So Goodie Mob in Mystery Men is one of those jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mystery Men rules. Michael Bay plays the leader of the frat boy villain squad for no reason. And has a speaking part lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
in the future, forensic investigators will tie my movie collection to SA Forums because of the correlation of titles to mentions of titles in this thread

"ok but if you see, tammy and the t-rex, plus mystery men, plus...... it's definitely a link"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I jumped on the Arrow Dune release despite not having a 4k TV or player- mostly for the gewgaws, but the included Blu-Ray is still actually an upgrade from Universal's. There some of the color grading felt not-right, here it feels a little more... balanced? The reds are stronger, especially in Arrakeen, and in general I notice a lot more detail.

And of course all the extra stuff is nice. It's a shame they couldn't get the TV cut, even if it's not very good, because the deleted scene doc specifically doesn't include anything that was in the TV version. (Plus it's just an interesting curiosity, with all the weird poo poo they did to try and add exposition.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sniep posted:

in the future, forensic investigators will tie my movie collection to SA Forums because of the correlation of titles to mentions of titles in this thread

"ok but if you see, tammy and the t-rex, plus mystery men, plus...... it's definitely a link"

:lol: just those two movies? That applies to nearly every poster in this thread. You're going to have to go a bit more obscure

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: just those two movies? That applies to nearly every poster in this thread. You're going to have to go a bit more obscure

we removed the false wall in their bookcase and found a "peekarama" mother lode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

we removed the false wall in their bookcase and found a "peekarama" mother lode

I have each and every one prominently displayed on my mantle :smug:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/ultrahdbluray/status/1443956748419747857?s=21

Wild wild stuff

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Surprised DVDs are still so popular

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fixins posted:

A month insignificant number of people would probably still buy in full screen if they could.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fixins posted:

I cant think of another piece of entertainment tech so ubiquitous than the DVD player. Especially going for 25 years now, its just wild how common and known it is. It is probably the last total saturation physical media playback option. I doubt blu-ray or UHD ever catches on at that level, let alone some mythical 8K media. that's just never going to happen I think or be anything more than just demo discs and natively shot products (nature documentary's primarily).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fixins posted:

Everyone has a player and you still get digital widescreen picture and surround sound. A nice copy of the movie you can play anywhere. Same reason the Switch gets away with Xbox360-tier graphics - if you cross the "good enough" line there's not much pain in just staying there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone has a player and you still get digital widescreen picture and surround sound. A nice copy of the movie you can play anywhere. Same reason the Switch gets away with Xbox360-tier graphics - if you cross the "good enough" line there's not much pain in just staying there.

This is true, and I hit that line with blu ray. I own like two UHDs (with the blu rays included) and I bought them for the updated transfer, not necessarily for the UHD part. I don't have a UHD player and don't know if I ever will? :shrug:

I said the same thing about blu ray several years ago though, so who knows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

King Vidiot posted:

This is true, and I hit that line with blu ray. I own like two UHDs (with the blu rays included) and I bought them for the updated transfer, not necessarily for the UHD part. I don't have a UHD player and don't know if I ever will? :shrug:

I said the same thing about blu ray several years ago though, so who knows.

I'm kind of in that same place with Blu-ray for most films. Something really special I'll splash out for the UHD, or I'll get something on sale, but for most things...a well-made Blu-ray looks real drat good.

I've got some movies where I have the Bluray next to the DVD and I'm looking at the Bluray like "why aren't you this nice?" Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown come to mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I'm kind of in that same place with Blu-ray for most films. Something really special I'll splash out for the UHD, or I'll get something on sale, but for most things...a well-made Blu-ray looks real drat good.

I've got some movies where I have the Bluray next to the DVD and I'm looking at the Bluray like "why aren't you this nice?" Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown come to mind.

Yea I think that for the most part, and obviously there are top tier UHDs that are exceptions, the value of UHD is that so many blu rays were either mediocre or legitimately bad. So I have a decent number of UHDs that I probably wouldn't have felt the need to buy if not for the fact that the previous blu ray was just not impressive at all(Predator comes to mind). By the time UHD became a thing, it seems that lessons had been learned about what people who still buy physical media want, and so the mistakes of the past aren't as common anymore which makes UHDs a more consistently high quality format compared to blu ray where there was a ton of junky stuff out there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There’s things I like enough to own that I probably wouldn’t bother upgrading to UHD if I already have the Blu-ray. But going forward I’ll probably just buy UHDs if they’re available. I kind of figure a lot of what I own is obscure enough that it won’t get to UHD. But I was surprised a few times when stuff that slipped DVD made it to Blu.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea when I buy something new these days it's always UHD if that's an option because it's like why not? For example, I bought the upcoming Halloween 4 and 5 UHDs but I didn't bother with 2 or 3 because I already own those on blu ray and I'm not really that certain the UHDs will be a drastic upgrade. You almost always get at least a little incremental boost in color depth with a UHD but when you're paying close to $30 you want a bit more than that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ll probably buy 2 & 3 pretty soon here. Never seen either but it sounds like 2 isn’t too bad and 3 is its own thing and kinda owns.

I already have the UHD from a couple years back, so I’m gonna wait for the reviews. Probably won’t be worth upgrading but honestly, I have no issues with doing as much if it is a better overall version, and not just colors.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Have there been any UHDs with multiple versions yet? IE an improved version of an existing UHD?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’ll probably buy 2 & 3 pretty soon here. Never seen either but it sounds like 2 isn’t too bad and 3 is its own thing and kinda owns.

Definitely go into 3 assuming it's a movie called "Season of the Witch" and not Halloween

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Iron Crowned posted:

Definitely go into 3 assuming it's a movie called "Season of the Witch" and not Halloween

It is dumb as hell and I love it so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Have there been any UHDs with multiple versions yet? IE an improved version of an existing UHD?

Not that I can think of, which is why this Halloween Shout Factory release is very interesting. The details on the site say it's supposedly a new transfer.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Not that I can think of, which is why this Halloween Shout Factory release is very interesting. The details on the site say it's supposedly a new transfer.

I did some light digging into the matter and apart from maybe one release, Cundy has overseen every transfer since Laserdisc and with each step there was always an element that fans hated that he would go back to in the next transfer and redo or retouch and you would see an upgrade in the new release. Since he oversaw the Universal UHD release I'm sure whatever changes he made were done in respect to the reviews the Universal one received that the Shout release will reap the benefits of.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hell, the last physical media purchase I made included four DVDs. In my defense, I can't see how you can get Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes from the 90's in UHD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there an affordable and reliable introductory UHD player? The cheapest Panasonic that fits what I'm looking for has a lot of people saying it's unreliable junk, and a lot of players are still surprisingly expensive. All I need is disc play (no streaming) with HDR10/10+ (my tv doesn't do Dolby Vision).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

Is there an affordable and reliable introductory UHD player? The cheapest Panasonic that fits what I'm looking for has a lot of people saying it's unreliable junk, and a lot of players are still surprisingly expensive. All I need is disc play (no streaming) with HDR10/10+ (my tv doesn't do Dolby Vision).

probably the UBPX-700

https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/blu-ray-dvd-players/blu-ray/p/ubpx700

since you dont have DV you wont need to worry about the weird issue with this that you need to flip a switch in the menu to get it to work and turn it off before you put in content without DV. I've seen it dip to $150 at its lowest price during BF.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

A used Xbox One probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I love this dumb loving movie.

Halloween 3, if not called Halloween 3, would still have the same cult following and Shout Factory Blu-ray. But it would not be getting a UHD.