Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if someone with money thinks it will make money

Occasionally a team going "We really like this and think we could do it well", but it still has to be followed with "in a way that will be popular enough to make us money.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What are / were some of the longest-running series that never got anime adaptations, anyways? Seems to take around 100-150 chapters (about 2-3 years) before adaptations happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I liked that series until it introduced the game like elements. its hard to have dramatic tension when a lot of the stuff that happens won't actually matter.

Huh. Yeah actually you've got a point, unless they get tampered with and suddenly it's SAO 'you die in the game you die for real' stakes then the shadows worlds don't actually matter for anything aside from Desir's goal of eliminating commoner and noble racism, stacking wins for commoners so that they have to be recognized as being as good or better than them or just getting him better artifacts because he's never going to make it up to 4th class mage because his magic capacity is so low.

It really is just a bunch of exams but you have to stop a barbarian invasion or destroy a humunculus instead of the 4500 physics problems Spider-Man solves in his head to launch himself 8 blocks after snagging the tip of a helicopter's propeller for extra momentum.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, dying in them is fatal. the big problem that desir is facing is that the world has gotten complacent about these naturally occurring historical simulators.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, dying in them is fatal. the big problem that desir is facing is that the world has gotten complacent about these naturally occurring historical simulators.

They had the big team competition one that would kill you if you died in it, but it was supposed to warp people out if they got hurt too much, I thought them being non-lethal was the case for all of them?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are the real ones and the simulated ones. the non-lethal one was the latter. still, shadow worlds are considered so mundane and non-threatening that they also use the real ones for school competitions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 3, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

RareAcumen posted:

I hope manwhas are fine here because I don't know if I'm missing where other people are posting this one.

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

Since Medical Return is the same thing, I'm now a fan of 'The future's hosed, go back in time to fix it' stories now. Well those and Saike Mata Shitemo but anyway. It's like, a magic fantasy setting and a post apocalypse is where the story starts off, tons of people have died over the 10 years that the world's been like that and as they finally manage to kill the dragon it's heart explodes and he finds himself 10 years back in the past.

So he's got 10+ years of experience and foreknowledge of how things are going to go to poo poo in the future and he's acting on that now while he can like recruiting and training people who'll be killed earlier and getting them better training to hopefully prevent that and intercepting criminal attempts to steal magic artifacts. It's a lot better than I'm making it sound but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it or I just missed it.

I just hope it doesn't get cancelled next week.

There's a manga similar to this which I really like: Tsuyokute New Saga.

The premise is basically that The Hero, Kail, finally defeats The Demon King, but at great cost: all of his friends and allies are dead, and the whole continent has been devastated by the war against the demons; Kail himself is dying of his wounds. Exploring the Demon King's castle after the battle, Kail finds a suspicious-looking gemstone, and grabs it.

This immediately transports Kail's consciousness several years in the past, when the demon war hadn't started yet; Kail then proceeds to use the knowledge he'd acquired to try and avoid the Bad End he'd been subjected to.

It's fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

The premise is basically that The Hero, Kail, finally defeats The Demon King, but at great cost: all of his friends and allies are dead, and the whole continent has been devastated by the war against the demons; Kail himself is dying of his wounds. Exploring the Demon King's castle after the battle, Kail finds a suspicious-looking gemstone, and grabs it.

This immediately transports Kail's consciousness several years in the past, when the demon war hadn't started yet; Kail then proceeds to use the knowledge he'd acquired to try and avoid the Bad End he'd been subjected to.

It's fun.

Hey that sounds awesome! I hope I like it, because the premise is hitting all the spots.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its pretty slow since its a 1 monthly series with the same length of a weekly series and chapters end like you'd get in a weekly series. Alright when there is a lot to read but extremely slow once caught up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days and Witch Watch are super good this week.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That final move in Undead Unluck :gonk:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

That final move in Undead Unluck :gonk:

Yikes :gonk: I guess that's a strategy.

Sakamoto: Dang good stuff. But Shin should've paid more attention to UI Goku and stamina.

Mashle: Mashle is awesome again!

Elusive Samurai: Is getting very good again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sakamoto was very hell yea today, it's so we'll drawn actionwise.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
What I really like about Elusive Samurai this week is that they raised the stakes with historical info that we ignorant readers were unaware of.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mikl posted:

It's fun.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey that sounds awesome! I hope I like it, because the premise is hitting all the spots.

Fun Fact: The title of the series is LITERALLY New Game Plus. Series was legitimately really good and fun, but drat is it slow to update. Legit don't recall what kind of series you asked for, but Undead Adventurer is Really, REALLY GOOD and everyone should read it.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Mikl posted:

It's fun.

I liked this when I started reading it, but kind of just fell off of it. Didn't really grab me anymore.

Also doesn't help that the chapters are monthly iirc and a lot of the chapters within the past what feels like year/2 years were short and nothing really happened in them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: I'm looking forward to how this arc plays out, it'll be fun to see how Toshiyuki has to handle a fight he can't just physically run away from. I also like that the major adult villains aren't just one-note incompetents for the most part. Sadamune is a very dangerous foe for Toshiyuki and the manga respects that.

Mashle: I'm not gonna lie I thought they were actually gonna start fighting so I had the same reaction as Mashle when it was revealed it wasn't even the actual date of the tournament.

Red Hood: It was a chapter.

Roboco: Standard chapter. Not bad, but not standout. Roboco is a fun character though.

Sakamoto Day: Hell fuckin' yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o yea red hood, completely forgot about that this week. more than outright dislike, indifference tends to be how I drop most jump series

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like PPPPPP because I love piano and classical music but I understand that it's half-decent at best. I find the girl really cute, though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Mashle: I'm not gonna lie I thought they were actually gonna start fighting so I had the same reaction as Mashle when it was revealed it wasn't even the actual date of the tournament.

Mash has been a perfect stand in for myself these past 3 chapters.

Witch Watch: Silly magic to the rescue! Great chapter. At the climax of the previous arc they used all the "lovely" spells that Nico cast in the lead up. SO I fully expect this spell to come back and serve us again.
It's weird, I love reading Witch Watch and it's always good for a laugh. Yet I always find myself having to force myself to read it. Maybe it's just that I read Mash and Sakamoto first which takes me out of the mood to read WW.

Roboco: standard indeed.

Magu: Sweet

Neru: There's something missing in NEru and I'm not sure what. I like the characters well enough. I'm kinda digging the sketch like art. But the story feels a little barren? Like there's no real goal that we're working towards. What even does Neru hope to accomplish at that school?

Twin star: Stuff happened! I don't understand what! Things died! Cya next month! :psyduck:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mikl posted:

It's fun.

Yeah, this has been pretty sweet so far.

I do like that so far Kail is willing to get dirty to prevent the Bad End from happening; I've read up until he killed the King to prevent him from sending more assassins after his daughter. Also, it seems like he'd be more than okay with his childhood buddy dying

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his buddy seems like he should have been the hero all along if he wasn't such a slacker. seriously, a fuckin' long lost secret prince raised by the greatest gladiator in history and physically empowered by a divine wish? that dude is such bullshit.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

After reading 10 or so chapters my wild guess is that the main character is going to somehow become the demon king, realize if he just kills all the humans like the original timeline he can recharge the time travel crystal and go back again and then be killed by someone else who triggers their own time travel loop.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Neru: There's something missing in NEru and I'm not sure what. I like the characters well enough. I'm kinda digging the sketch like art. But the story feels a little barren? Like there's no real goal that we're working towards. What even does Neru hope to accomplish at that school?
I think it's the disconnect between martial artist out of time aspiring to use real weapons and the fact that the MC accomplishes his goal of attending the school within the first few chapters. Basically the MC lacks goals other writers would give characters in his position like trying to find information about his missing grandfather through the school, or maybe find a missing chapter to his own martial arts tomes to complete his style. This is weirdly enough a slice of life story in construction but with a battle shonen core.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd like to think he's building towards a specific focus (or two) at the school but even that seems a ways off. I still enjoy the series but it definitely lacks direction right now.

But I'll hold off worrying about that until it gets some more chapters printed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Undead Adventurer is Really, REALLY GOOD and everyone should read it.

Thanks for this. I checked out a mitsuwa near my house and they had the first volume. Looking forward to reading it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kingtheninja posted:

Thanks for this. I checked out a mitsuwa near my house and they had the first volume. Looking forward to reading it.

Cool, enjoy. Do check out the LN from Novel(buy the premium edition with bonus stories), if it's to your liking as it's a bit further ahead.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh it's in LN format too? poo poo I might have to go that route instead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

The goal is to become the best in all the martial arts disciplines at once, but there doesn't seem to be much of a point to the goal, yeah. As I've noted before, it seems to be purely a "climbing the mountain because it's there" kind of thing. It feels like the author has confused the stated goals of shonen protagonists with what actually drives the plot; stories like Naruto and Black Clover are fundamentally villain-driven, despite what the main characters shout.

quote:

Twin star: Stuff happened! I don't understand what! Things died! Cya next month! :psyduck:

twinstarexorcists.txt.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Twin Star Exorcists is still a thing?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno if this is just how things are but the only thing I can say to the latest DANDADAN is "well, that just happened".

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I think it's the disconnect between martial artist out of time aspiring to use real weapons and the fact that the MC accomplishes his goal of attending the school within the first few chapters. Basically the MC lacks goals other writers would give characters in his position like trying to find information about his missing grandfather through the school, or maybe find a missing chapter to his own martial arts tomes to complete his style. This is weirdly enough a slice of life story in construction but with a battle shonen core.

Silver2195 posted:

The goal is to become the best in all the martial arts disciplines at once, but there doesn't seem to be much of a point to the goal, yeah. As I've noted before, it seems to be purely a "climbing the mountain because it's there" kind of thing. It feels like the author has confused the stated goals of shonen protagonists with what actually drives the plot; stories like Naruto and Black Clover are fundamentally villain-driven, despite what the main characters shout.

It's still early days, maybe he'll add more over time.

Grouchio posted:

Twin Star Exorcists is still a thing?
It is. But it's quite slow. Like this chapter could've been cut in half and would've accomplished the same thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished catching up on Dandadan. So...we're all in agreement that it's awesome and would look batshit insane and awesome animated right?

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 7, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

doomrider7 posted:

Finished catching up on Dandadan. So...we're all in agreement that it's awesome and wod look batshit insane and awesome animated right?

The art style is super clean and very dynamic in the actions and poses of the characters, and the story is interesting. It's top tier. Maybe a little too horny if there is anything bad to say about it.

I think the premise and dynamism of the art style just elevate it above any of it's cons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not the biggest fan of FMA Mangahood. Some people treat it like the best shounen ever but it has way too many glaring flaws, one of which I will discuss in a second. Despite my criticisms, I do like most everything to do with van Hohenheim and Father. Father in particular is a great character. If I ever rewatch FMAB like I just did, it is for the parts with him. I find evrything about him compelling.

...except right before his hour of triumph when the mangaka saw fit to make him a generic, cackling cartoon villain for no real reason. OOC is serious business when it is a pivotal part of the character that he has expunged his very personality. The Homunculi in FMAB are most interesting when you realize they are not really characters unto themselves, they are embodiments of Father's character. You see this most plainly during the brief time he has Greed back in him at which point he becomes quirky and talkative. With no Greed or the others, he's dispassionate to a fault.

Only when he becomes humanoid shadow and eyeballs (a very lame look, too), he's cackling amd making sadistic jokes and generally overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. Then he absorbs Truth and instantly turns back to his typical stoic self.

This brief change is never explained, it contradicts everything else we see from him, and is overall just super lame.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of FMA Mangahood. Some people treat it like the best shounen ever but it has way too many glaring flaws, one of which I will discuss in a second. Despite my criticisms, I do like most everything to do with van Hohenheim and Father. Father in particular is a great character. If I ever rewatch FMAB like I just did, it is for the parts with him. I find evrything about him compelling.

...except right before his hour of triumph when the mangaka saw fit to make him a generic, cackling cartoon villain for no real reason. OOC is serious business when it is a pivotal part of the character that he has expunged his very personality. The Homunculi in FMAB are most interesting when you realize they are not really characters unto themselves, they are embodiments of Father's character. You see this most plainly during the brief time he has Greed back in him at which point he becomes quirky and talkative. With no Greed or the others, he's dispassionate to a fault.

Only when he becomes humanoid shadow and eyeballs (a very lame look, too), he's cackling amd making sadistic jokes and generally overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. Then he absorbs Truth and instantly turns back to his typical stoic self.

This brief change is never explained, it contradicts everything else we see from him, and is overall just super lame.

His self as a Shadow with eyeballs always seemed more talkative and emotional. I am guessing abandoning his human skin, gave him some of his old traits back. Hohenhiem even remarks on it when he sees him again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RareAcumen posted:

Huh. Yeah actually you've got a point, unless they get tampered with and suddenly it's SAO 'you die in the game you die for real' stakes then the shadows worlds don't actually matter for anything aside from Desir's goal of eliminating commoner and noble racism, stacking wins for commoners so that they have to be recognized as being as good or better than them or just getting him better artifacts because he's never going to make it up to 4th class mage because his magic capacity is so low.

It really is just a bunch of exams but you have to stop a barbarian invasion or destroy a humunculus instead of the 4500 physics problems Spider-Man solves in his head to launch himself 8 blocks after snagging the tip of a helicopter's propeller for extra momentum.

I mean all of the things you mentioned aren't really relevant for the shadow world game-like stuff. I liked that stuff you mentioned but instead its mostly just plots about long dead people that don't really matter in the end aside from whether the mission is accomplished or not. The game elements took the focus away from the good stuff in the series.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

One of the points that Hohenheim makes to Father near the end is that he (Father) *thought* he could achieve perfection by purging himself of the seven deadly sins and using a human form, but he never really evolved beyond his original flask form. When he turns into a cackling villain it's really more of a mask off moment where he's within striking distance of his centuries long goal he can't help but drop the facade and revert back to his true nature. But the facade was never the result of actually purging those emotions from himself, just him knowing how to play a part. Just like he did with the King of Xerxes before obtaining a philosopher's stone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ending falls a little flat imo but that doesn't make the series worse as a whole. that can happen if the ending is mega bad but that's just not the case with fma. and I can't think of a better shonen in terms of like the narrative structure or how it treats its extended cast

tho I've always hated what they did with the opening potion of the brotherhood anime. you can't just advertise how much more faithful your adaption is to the source material, then change like the entire first part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brotherhood also kind of speeds through a lot of the early arcs as well (a few multi parters like Nina and Tucker are reduced down to a single episode whereas in the first anime they got at least 2 or 3 devoted to them).