Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
lmfao now that boosters are approved and the pandemic is over again, the more important questions about how china started all this poo poo can be discussed again: https://www.axios.com/covid-origins-wuhan-lab-leak-debate-e922bca5-f9a1-4bc4-97b5-a91456d4c162.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

etalian posted:

I imagine each WSJ Op-ed or interview is driving her ego through the stratosphere.

if she was wrong, would she be so widely published or would so many people be listening to her? clearly the market has spoken and her ideas are cool and good and valid - checkmate doomerbrains!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

what level is everyone at

https://twitter.com/ppetoheros/status/1444781607370567687?s=21

im at level 6, PAPR only all the time

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

gently caress this man too
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/04/covid-dr-scott-gottlieb-expects-families-will-gather-for-holidays.html

lmfao the narrative now is that holidays are safe. many people are going to die from this decision

Doubly so because all the people that otherwise would stay home are instead hearing the respectable people on the news say that big holidays are cool and good and you should do them so they are gonna do what the news tells them is safe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

It's true, I am personally killing at least 8 people a day. The nanomachines get ripped right out of you it's really loving gruesome. Like getting shot from the inside but with millions of tiny bullets.

Clean up is easy though you can just use a garden hose.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they shouldn't be so confident about it being safe in december especially since the current surge hasn't exactly stopped yet

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Gio posted:

you joke but we have at least one super necessary papr wearer in the thread

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

they shouldn't be so confident about it being safe in december especially since the current surge hasn't exactly stopped yet

none of the people dying matter anymore. its all people with preexisting conditions or who brought it upon themselves. me and mine and our friends? we're safe. survival of the fittest

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New Aussie state record :coronatoot: (and probably national record)

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1445140582205059077?s=19

We had essentially zero cases from October 2020 until July 2021.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Gio posted:

3+. Would be 5+ but it'd make work incredibly difficult.

To help mitigate I also have a corsi cube, windows open, and fans going.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

ram dass in hell posted:

you think it's bizarre only because you haven't internalized this: stephen miller and joe biden are the same person.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

none of the people dying matter anymore. its all people with preexisting conditions or who brought it upon themselves. me and mine and our friends? we're safe. survival of the fittest

it seems callous to me that the us federal government has explicitly stated that they are completely fine with the 40% of people who aren’t getting vaccinated contracting and spreading a deadly pandemic which will kill one in fifty and maim one in five

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

:getin:

Labor everywhere becoming woke to their power now that a fifth of pool is dead from covid.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

:getin:

Labor everywhere becoming woke to their power now that a fifth of pool is dead from covid.

quote:

The vote passed with 98.7 percent support, and 90 percent turnout — a resounding outcome that the union hopes will strengthen its bargaining position.

Talks have stalled between the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the studios. The unions have been negotiating since May on a new contract, and are seeking to address long-standing concerns, including long hours on set, streaming wage scales and residuals, and the stability of the pension and health funds.

quote:

The strike threat comes as Hollywood has never been busier, especially on the TV side. Soundstages are at or near full capacity, and productions have had difficulty finding enough workers to keep shooting. That has led to exhaustion and burnout, but the high demand has also emboldened union members.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

More than a 98% Positive IATSE vote, this is going to be huge in Hollywood.

that’s some solidarity

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Solidarity with the GOATSE strikers

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gio posted:

Please please please let us wear elastomeric on airplanes

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Gio posted:

I thought a PAPR was basically the Christmas tree costume as far as everyone around you is concerned.
E: he acknowledged this after someone pointed it out in the comments so whatever

kaxman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2021

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Gio posted:

level 5 at my oil change today, and they were super chill with it.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gio posted:

PAPR has poor source control

The comments are chewing him up for several mistakes and omissions

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Gio posted:

Level 5 (full face) thanks to this thread. Excited to eventually be beaten to death by the apartment complex's aggressively anti-mask outdoor staff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

It's true, I am personally killing at least 8 people a day. The nanomachines get ripped right out of you it's really loving gruesome. Like getting shot from the inside but with millions of tiny bullets.

well thank gently caress I won't suffer after my 19th moderna.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Level 5 (full face) thanks to this thread. Excited to eventually be beaten to death by the apartment complex's aggressively anti-mask outdoor staff.

The face plate should protect you from mace backsplash

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

I plan on doing good, normal posting with my forum pals this holiday season :yayclod:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

russia is apparently surging a bit again and putting in more restrictions. it's wild to see the UK is still up at a huge level of infection. delta is just not going away--we're plateauing at an enormous level of cases

endemic means a 9/11 a day we can safely ignore

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

First you were complaining about people not sitting still, now you're complaining when they do... end up still.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I can't get any pictures on the time of flight mra if the blood isn't flowing!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I can't get any pictures on the time of flight mra if the blood isn't flowing!

with the right settings, maybe you can get the magnetized blood to flow up the walls

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gio posted:

level 5 when I'm inside, level 3+ when I'm outside
i assume kf94 is level 3+

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1445053772963717121?s=20

?:rubby:?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Gio posted:

where does full diving gear fall on this? both recreational and the stuff that commercial divers use

just in case

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

I want to nominate this Atlantic article for a Fauci Award of Excellence in Public Health Communications.

Why Are Americans —Still!— Wearing Cloth Masks

Yasmin Tayag posted:

At this point, cloth masks are so ubiquitous in the United States that it can be easy to forget that they were originally supposed to be a stopgap measure. In April 2020, when surgical masks and highly coveted N95s were first in short supply, the CDC released its initial mask guidance and said cloth masks were the way to go for most people—noting that they could be sewn at home from old T-shirts. Even at that point, when the pandemic was full of unknowns, we knew that cloth masks, although far better than going maskless, weren’t as protective as other types.

~~~

Unless you work in health care, the CDC still recommends masks made with at least two layers of washable, breathable fabric. A big reason for this is that, yes, surgical masks are still in limited supply, according to the FDA, and so they must be prioritized for health-care workers. Though the shortage appeared to relent this summer, when widespread vaccination led to a dip in demand for both surgical and cloth masks, the rise of the Delta variant precipitated another major mask crunch.

~~~

As the Harvard epidemiologist Bill Hanage told me in an email, we’re still wearing cloth masks because they’re “expected to still be better than nothing.” And they really are far better than nothing: He likened surgical masks to a sturdy, well-made umbrella and cloth masks to the cheap kind that inverts. “Both are better than a plastic bag held over your head, which is itself better than nothing,” he said.

~~~

But America’s complacency about masks is not simply the result of individual decisions. Public-health agencies could have prioritized using government resources to remedy the mask shortage, as well as simply mailing all Americans more-protective masks. “I can’t speak for the CDC,” Hanage said, “but I would hope that they would be able to convey the message that all masks are not alike, just like all umbrellas are not alike.” A spokesperson for the CDC told me that although the agency believes that N95 masks are “better at protecting the wearer, and if available should be worn,” cloth masks have been shown to be an “effective method of source control,” according to CDC research, and are still recommended when N95s aren’t available. (The spokesperson did not mention surgical masks, and did not respond to a follow-up question.)

~~~

Ultimately, while masking is important, it’s not the most important thing we should be doing to protect ourselves from the coronavirus. Although Osterholm makes it clear that he’s very pro-masking, “it’s really all about the whole hierarchy of environmental control,” he said, referring to the various methods for reducing risk within a space, a key concept in occupational safety. Vaccination is by far the most protective measure a person can take. Second is ensuring proper ventilation—replacing the air in a room at least five to six times an hour, he explained. Next is social distancing. And then there’s masking: “You keep going down in that order, and finally the lowest thing in terms of overall prevention potential is individual respiratory protection,” he said.

~~~

Even if a pivot toward surgical masks wouldn’t be some pandemic panacea, America’s mask inertia is in many ways a symptom of the nation’s single-pronged pandemic response. The country has collectively banked on vaccination to end the pandemic, and one consequence is that attention to other protective measures has lagged. Our vaccines are terrific, but it’s now clear that our best way out of the pandemic does not rely on shots alone. “If you have enough pieces of Swiss cheese, you can cover every hole, and you can’t see the table,” Osterholm said. “If you put [one slice] by itself on the table, I promise you, you’re going to see the table.”

ah I see, well it’s all so simple and yet the Americans keep loving up in spite of clear and easy to understand messaging.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

i've had asthma loving with me for so long it seems so simple

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

so I'm supposed to put swiss cheese on my face now? not sure how that's gonna help but ok

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Feste posted:

I want to nominate this Atlantic article for a Fauci Award of Excellence in Public Health Communications.

Why Are Americans —Still!— Wearing Cloth Masks

ah I see, well it’s all so simple and yet the Americans keep loving up in spite of clear and easy to understand messaging.

Quick thought exercise:

-How many months would it take to get to elimination in the US if everyone wore an N95 or better in all public contexts?
-How many months would it take to get to elimination in the US if everyone was vaccinated with one of our current crop of mRNA vaccines?

If you answered "probably a while - like maybe 6 or 8 months?" for the first question and "actually never" for the second question congrats you're a doomposting antivaxxer, please report to QCS for your perma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Golden Bee posted:

IATSE does everything on set that isn’t driving, writing, directing or producing. (that’s the Teamsters, WGA, DGA and PGA.)

Camera, lights, animation, script coordination, stunts, set decorators, painters and carpenters. 150,000 ppl in 366 unions. if they strike, you won’t even be able to watch local news.

Depending on the Local and the area, IASTE is also the main labor for trade shows, concerts, and theaters. There might even be a few members at sporting events running spot lights, pyro, lighting, or sound.