Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Peperomia, ponytail palm, echeveria and definitely consider bromeliads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My ponytail palm, the cats liked to shred the long leaves.

My coffee plant was apparently the perfect plant for peeing in.

And for some reason, they just liked to push my jade entirely off of whatever surface it was resting on, so we'd find a massive jade sitting on the floor surrounded by fallen leaves, basically saying "!"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Got another Bolivian Torch/Trichocereus Bridgesii cactus, this time a hybrid (SS02xZelly12). It’s so cute :3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
it’s October and getting cold and it’s time to bring in the tropicals and start moving in the succulents

holy poo poo these plants are all so big some of them have doubled-tripled-quadrupled in size

I’m equal parts excited and terrified

moving from this place is gonna be a loving ordeal

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

So I’m tired of these dumb rear end security bushes that came with our house and decided to replace them with some security cactus. I live in Los Angeles so I’m assuming I don’t have to do much besides throw them in the ground, keep an eye on them and water every few weeks? I was going to go to a nursery and just pick out some stuff at random but would love some suggestions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A talking coyote posted:

So I’m tired of these dumb rear end security bushes that came with our house and decided to replace them with some security cactus. I live in Los Angeles so I’m assuming I don’t have to do much besides throw them in the ground, keep an eye on them and water every few weeks? I was going to go to a nursery and just pick out some stuff at random but would love some suggestions.

I'm very new but that's basically what I've learned other than to add that they should have a super-fast-draining soil that is like 50% pumice/gravel/sand and 50% organic material, depending on where you live. If you live in an extremely dry climate you might mix 40% rock 60% soil.

I got what I believe is a Pilocereus Magnificus cutting from my friend's backyard today. The stand it's from is unbelievably huge.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A talking coyote posted:

My raised beds that I specifically mixed for cacti are approximately 1 part gravel, 1 part coarse sand, 2 parts perlite, 2 parts loam. You just want to make sure they're in well draining soil and leave them alone for the most part. In two years I have yet to water my succulent gardens. (I'm in the northeast where it rains reasonably often, you may want to give them extra water for optimum growth where you are. Ask at the nursery you buy them from probably.)

For cacti you can grow in LA you're probably spoiled for choices but if you actually want something resembling the original hedge as far as creating a barrier I'd look into cylindropuntia.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 3, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Wallet posted:

My raised beds that I specifically mixed for cacti are approximately 1 part gravel, 1 part coarse sand, 2 parts perlite, 2 parts loam. You just want to make sure they're in well draining soil and leave them alone for the most part. In two years I have yet to water my succulent gardens. (I'm in the northeast where it rains reasonably often, you may want to give them extra water for optimum growth where you are. Ask at the nursery you buy them from probably.)

For cacti you can grow in LA you're probably spoiled for choices but if you actually want something resembling the original hedge as far as creating a barrier I'd look into cylindropuntia.

Nah I don’t actually want security cactus that was a joke, I’m not even sure how that would work? I just want to replace the bushes but I’ll definitely ask when I go to the nursery next week.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Mexican fence post cactus is a good one. Golden barrel is another classic. If you want to splurge a myrtillocactus geometrizans crested variety would be sick. I lived in the bay area for a long time. In that climate just make sure to water about once a week during the hottest months. I didn't water in the wet season at all and every 2-3 weeks otherwise. You can fertilize once a year.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A talking coyote posted:

Nah I don’t actually want security cactus that was a joke, I’m not even sure how that would work? I just want to replace the bushes but I’ll definitely ask when I go to the nursery next week.

If you google cylindropuntia you'll probably see how it would work—a lot of them grow quite dense. If you have the room there are some that grow into trees eventually. A big old pachycereus is also a sight to behold.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've learned the San Pedro cacti, which you can easily get at any nursery in North America, grow like 2 feet per year(!) in decent conditions and get utterly massive if you let them.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Thanks all, I just wanted some desert plants cause trying to maintain lawns/gardens in the desert seems kind of pointless to me no offense to anyone here. But the idea of a wall spikes in front of my windows does seem pretty badass. I’ll look into all your suggestions when I go to the nursery next weekend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Agave makes a great ornamental, space-taking-up, low water needs plant for a yard. Plant a whole bunch with blue chalkstick succulents. You never really have to water them and it looks cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Agave makes a great ornamental, space-taking-up, low water needs plant for a yard. Plant a whole bunch with blue chalkstick succulents. You never really have to water them and it looks cool.

until it sends up a 40 foot spike and dies :P

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok Comboomer posted:

ya :(

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A talking coyote posted:

Thanks all, I just wanted some desert plants cause trying to maintain lawns/gardens in the desert seems kind of pointless to me no offense to anyone here. But the idea of a wall spikes in front of my windows does seem pretty badass. I’ll look into all your suggestions when I go to the nursery next weekend.

Really nothing wrong with that. Growing what grows best in your climate will give you a great chance to have success. I couldn't grow most cactuses outside without covering them for 8 months of the year. They'd just drown.

Does anyone have any ideas for window plants that do well in very low light conditions? I have a couple basement north facing windows that are about 95% shade for the entire year, but they're just very empty and I'm not really sure where to start.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yuccas are less cool but they flower more than once so there's that.

Of course if you have enough agave they replace themselves anyway.

Jhet posted:

Does anyone have any ideas for window plants that do well in very low light conditions? I have a couple basement north facing windows that are about 95% shade for the entire year, but they're just very empty and I'm not really sure where to start.

I have very few low-light plants, but I do have a pothos (Epipremnum) that grows real goodly even though the only light it gets is from an east facing window that it's not even in front of. I've been working on training it up the wall for a while. Here it is 4 or 5 months ago:

And just now:

It finally discovered the window a couple of weeks ago and redirected quite a bit. (I'll get around to trimming the bit growing along the floor some day, leave me alone.)

Also a chonker of a Spathiphyllum that's 10 feet from the closest window but still flowers year round for whatever reason.

You could also add an additional light source, of course.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 4, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My string of pearls and pilea I posted about earlier are thriving! Very happy with the string of pearls, it was bedraggled when I got it home and it's growing like stink in a north-facing window, putting out new tendrils all over. The pilea has put out a pup (or more probably I didn't notice it had one when I got it) so I will look into the repotting process for that, seems pretty easy.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I come seeking advice on how to kill plants (they’re horribly invasive plants that have no business being in my back yard).

Offender #1: Wandering Dew/Purple Heart/tradescantia pallida. I know the answer is probably going to be “dig them all up,” but are there any other methods to control or kill them?

Offender #2: Bamboo. Another one where digging them out appears to be the only way. My main question here is whether cutting the bamboo way back will cause it to spread more, or if it’ll tend to stay where it is until I can dig it out. It’s already popping up all over the yard.

Location is in the Houston area, so there’s plenty of water to keep these stupid plants growing/spreading. I don’t have time to completely redo the landscaping, so my immediate goal is control until the temperatures come down enough to dig it all out. Not completely adverse to chemical warfare, but I want to limit it to low toxicity/short duration measures if possible (kids and dogs).

Of course a recent hurricane and subsequent wind storm split the one good tree in our back yard and 60% of it is dying now, so that’ll have to come out too. Ugh.

smax fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 6, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

smax posted:

I come seeking advice on how to kill plants (they’re horribly invasive plants that have no business being in my back yard).

Offender #1: Wandering Jew. I know the answer is probably going to be “dig them all up,” but are there any other methods to control or kill them?

Offender #2: Bamboo. Another one where digging them out appears to be the only way. My main question here is whether cutting the bamboo way back will cause it to spread more, or if it’ll tend to stay where it is until I can dig it out. It’s already popping up all over the yard.

Location is in the Houston area, so there’s plenty of water to keep these stupid plants growing/spreading. I don’t have time to completely redo the landscaping, so my immediate goal is control until the temperatures come down enough to dig it all out. Not completely adverse to chemical warfare, but I want to limit it to low toxicity/short duration measures if possible (kids and dogs).

Of course a recent hurricane and subsequent wind storm split the one good tree in our back yard and 60% of it is dying now, so that’ll have to come out too. Ugh.

You'll end up digging them both out, but make sure you know where your buried utilities are. Any of those vining plants will split a irregular intervals and make a mess of things. You can use roundup/glyphosate on them, just use it properly with a spray bottle and right on the leaves. It'll make it easier to pull out and dig out the rest.

Bamboo doesn't mind getting dug back, and it'll delay the hard work of digging out the rest. It travels underground, so that's the only place to get rid of it. It may take some time because it's such a pain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My friends who are academic botanists say that bamboo is a couple-of-years siege.

1. Cut the bamboo to the base.
2. Paint the new shoots/growth with Roundup.

Repeat. Eventually you use up the nutrition stored in the roots and they can't send up shoots any more.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My friends who are academic botanists say that bamboo is a couple-of-years siege.

Repeat. Eventually you use up the nutrition stored in the roots and they can't send up shoots any more.

:stonk:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bamboo is a horrible thing. Mine drove shoots under a concrete foundation and up into the crawlspace.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

They planted bamboo and wandering dew all over the place. All up and down the fences. My biggest fear is that the neighbors’ yard will be a constant reservoir for the bamboo- I have no problem digging up my beds to yank it out, but it’ll get old if it keeps coming back under the fences. Luckily the neighbors on both sides don’t have any obvious bamboo (they probably just mow whatever pops up).

It’s led to some comical and frustrating combinations.

Wandering dew behind a rose bush I’m trying to keep? Hell yeah, try digging or cutting that one out.

Wandering dew in the bamboo? Why not, it makes the wandering dew grow upward rather than out, and you can’t reach the roots to cut them back easily.

Bamboo encroaching on a cactus? I think they’re learning to take advantage of other plants’ defenses.

And there are fire ants everywhere to make things unexpectedly spicy at times.

This is all interspersed with some other flowering thing that attracts bees and hummingbirds, that is probably just as invasive. I’m trying not to rip it out immediately, but it’s all a goddamn mess. (Edit: turns out these are cannas)

A few weeks ago I manually pulled 3 full lawn bags worth of wandering dew, and didn’t even get half of it. I apparently have a mild reaction to the water/sap/liquid they drop (I swear they’re about 95% water), so that was fun. This weekend I took a whack at the wandering dew with a lawnmower. It all turned into mush that was a pain to deal with. My lawnmower bled purple for a day. I hit the hard to reach stuff with a line trimmer, which showered me with the purple goo. The bamboo kept me from doing too much since it was completely eating up my line though.

At this point the wandering Dew is all cut back, so we’ll be able to see where it’s actually coming from. Then Phase 2: The Diggening can commence.

Non-horticultural landscaping addendum: the PO installed a big area in the middle of the yard with gravel, they had a wood picnic table out there (rotten through, had to junk it along with half of the poo poo in this house). It took us a few weeks to get moved in, so we had a lawn guy come out to do the yard. Dude decides to hit a few weeds in the gravel pit with a line trimmer, launching a bunch of gravel against the house and shattering a 4’x6’ double pane tempered glass window. Even the dead/inert shot in this back yard is a hazard.

smax fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 6, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bamboo is nice to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Bamboo is nice to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.

When we were looking at this house, the bamboo didn’t even register to me. I saw big bushy things everywhere and didn’t think to look closer until we owned the place.

>.<

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I really like the purple wandering jew as a groundcover in the shade. The native tradescantia/spiderwort can gently caress right off though. IME strong roundup (2-3oz concentrate/gallon)alone will kill wandering jew, no digging needed. It helps to add a tablespoon or three of dawn/dish soap to the roundup mix for waxy leaved stuff like monkey grass/cherry laurel/camphor tree/ivy/wandering jew. If the undesired plants are mixed in with other stuff you want to keep, spraying isn't a great option and digging is gonna be your best bet. What Arsenic Lupin said is best ime for bamboo, but it's definitely a multiyear process. That stuff is near impossible to dig without a backhoe when it makes really dense clumps.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, pretty much any sort of plant with rhizomes or tubers needs to be treated like this. We did the same thing with Himalayan Blackberry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smax posted:

They planted bamboo and wandering Jew all over the place. All up and down the fences. My biggest fear is that the neighbors’ yard will be a constant reservoir for the bamboo- I have no problem digging up my beds to yank it out, but it’ll get old if it keeps coming back under the fences. Luckily the neighbors on both sides don’t have any obvious bamboo (they probably just mow whatever pops up).
That is exactly what happened to me. We managed to eradicate ours, but shoots from theirs kept coming up under the fence.

Also, I can't ethically use Roundup in my new house, because it's on land that drains into a state park which drains into the sea.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

For aggressive weeds that spread or want to make shoots like the wandering jew (which FYI is the common name of something like 10 different plants in three or four different genera) I've found it worth getting some selective herbicide and literally painting it on the weeds I want gone (I use a little foam brush) and then coming by a couple of days later to pull the dead poo poo out. It ends up being way less work than constantly pulling out the same poo poo as it comes back over and over until you can exhaust the roots and I haven't had issues with unintentionally poisoning plants I want to keep even when they're right on top of each other (if you get any on something you want accidentally you'll want to remove that part of the plant before it can spread).

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is nearly the only way to get rid of it. My mother has an absolute shitload of it around her house from the prior owner and even going at it with heavy equipment repeatedly does basically nothing to slow it down. She can't use glyphosate because she's got a stream, though :(

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 5, 2021

smax
Nov 9, 2009

In this case I think it’s tradescantia pallida. I feel a little dirty writing “wandering Jew” so many times and I don’t know why it’s called that name in the first place, so from here out I’ll just use t. pallida.

I’m going to re-plant with something else eventually anyway, so one way or another I’ll be breaking out a shovel and a mattock to bust all of this stuff out. It’ll probably be a combined physical removal with targeted chemical measures to deal with any stragglers.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

smax posted:

In this case I think it’s tradescantia pallida. I feel a little dirty writing “wandering Jew” so many times and I don’t know why it’s called that name in the first place, so from here out I’ll just use t. pallida.

Our local name has shifted from wandering Jew, to wandering dew

Its a very *taps temple* solution

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Jestery posted:

Our local name has shifted from wandering Jew, to wandering dew

Its a very *taps temple* solution

I think I just saw “wandering dude” on Wikipedia. I guess any sort of wandering stuff is better than the current name.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

When my father planted a stand of bamboo many years ago, he and I sank about 24" of metal sheeting around the whole area that we were planting in. That worked pretty well for containment, but it still sends up roots that jump the 3-4" of metal sticking above the soil and try to run into the yard. We typically cut those and dig them out as best we can, but it's a long, slow, losing battle. The dead poles have a ton of yard and around the house uses, though.

Whoever buys this house after he dies is going to have to just trench the whole thing with an excavator and be done with it, at this rate.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

smax posted:

Some folks think it honors the steadfastness of the Jewish people wandering the desert, as reflected in the plant's hardiness and growth habit, but apparently it's named after a guy who taunted Jesus on the way to the crucifixion and was doomed to wander the earth without rest until the Second Coming. I've started using "inchplant". (Mine are only ever confined to containers, where they do well without going crazy.)

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bonus tree pic:

https://i.imgur.com/ctJjjdw.jpg

Like a 2-3’ split down the middle of the trunk. Half is obviously dying, the other half will be so unbalanced it’ll probably fall into my neighbor’s yard. It’s coming down this weekend, probably.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smax posted:

Bonus tree pic:

https://i.imgur.com/ctJjjdw.jpg

Like a 2-3’ split down the middle of the trunk. Half is obviously dying, the other half will be so unbalanced it’ll probably fall into my neighbor’s yard. It’s coming down this weekend, probably.

Quick! Sell that as an album cover!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly I was gonna say something about how very jarring it is to be reading people talking about eradicating a thing named after my ethnic group, so I'm glad it got brought up. It might sound silly to call it dew or something else that sounds similar but tbh it's night and day if you're just browsing your favourite dead gay internet forum and don't have to see that.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever personally experienced the progression of:

-This is the plant’s name as I’ve always known it.
-Type it out repeatedly, specifically in the context of killing/getting rid of it.
-Feel increasingly awkward about the whole thing, realizing that this is probably a Bad Thing.
-Decide to not do that.

I still need to go through an clean up my previous posts, I meant to last night but couldn’t make the timing work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Imagine how weird it is when you've never really heard of it before waking up to see that!