Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

I love when you headshot somebody who is off doing their own thing so their buddy doesn't notice, because it plays the last little bit of the sting that plays when everybody is dead and there's no alarm anymore. Then I do the same to his buddy, then the next person, and it plays each time. :haw:

The devs think you're a loving idiot and hate you for engaging with their stealth mechanics.

But I play the exact same way :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Pokemon Ultra Moon: The side quest where you go to the school at night and investigate spooky ghost stories.

Also Alolan Grimer is cute, rainbow colored and eats garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Pokemon Ultra Moon: The side quest where you go to the school at night and investigate spooky ghost stories.

Also Alolan Grimer is cute, rainbow colored and eats garbage.

Same.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I have played Basegame RimWorld a bunch and love it to death, do you have any recommendations or is there a goon mod set or something? I want what you're offering is what I'm saying.

Anything on the top subscribed that looks like a quality of life improvement is a good start. Other than that the Vanilla Expanded mods at a metric ton of content that meshes pretty with the vanilla aesthetic, especially if you want to play a Medieval tech level game between Tribal and Industrial.

Other than that:

- Prepare Carefully allows you to fully customize your starting colonists.

- Hospitality makes visiting pawns not a waste of time.

- EPOE adds a ton of bionics and prosthetics

- Pawnmorpher let's you make horrifying Dr.Moreau style monstrosities

- Alpha Animals and Alpha Animals Biomes adds some really weird and creative creatures and environments if you want to hunt extradimensional monstrosities in an eyeball forest.

There's also dozens of race mods for everything from the entire slate of Forgotten Realms races, Warcraft, Star Wars, Star Trek, weird rock people, random custom races with gimmicks people have come up with, etc...

Really there's just too many mods to count it's honestly one of the most modded games out there.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

I have played Basegame RimWorld a bunch and love it to death, do you have any recommendations or is there a goon mod set or something? I want what you're offering is what I'm saying.

Oh boy, the Rimworld thread might be a better place to ask because I have no idea where to even start. It all depends on what you want and how far you want to go.

A personal favourite of mine is Rimworld of Magic which adds the ability for your pawns to become a large variety of fantasy RPG classes, complete with experience and leveling system. I usually add some stuff to make the game more challenging though because once you've get a fairly leveled Blademaster teleporting across the battlefield chopping heads off, a firemage raining fire from the skies or a loving chronomancer messing with time so raiders literally die of old age before they even reach your defences the challenges of the base game don't mean much anymore.

Eta:
There's not really a goonpack (other than a list of recommended UI stuff) I think because so much depends on what theme you're interested in. An idea might be to check out youtube letsplays to see whst you like and use their packs as a jumping off point.

It's really wild what you can do.
LotR, WH40k, Wild West, Rome, Medieval, etc. You want to set up a cult to worship lovecraftian beings in the hope of being rewarded? There's a mod for that. You want to a colony where you perform horrific experiments and people and animals? No problem. You want a world where pawns can randomly mutate and acquire animal characteristics? Sure. Hell, combine any or all of the above for maximum chaos.

I remember the first time one of my pawns grew fur, had to shave himself (I think I made a hat out of it), then grew an udder and had to milk himself (which obviously upset him) only to lay an egg a day later. His cow horns and bear claws made him a formidable melee fighter though.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Oct 6, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I started playing Ghost of Tsushima last night and I pet a fox, but not before I tried following it to a shrine and fell off a waterfall, not entirely sure of what sort of jumping I was able to do yet.

Inari!!! :argh:

What a charming game. I keep making the wind gust just because it's cool that I can. The moment when I realised I was meant to follow a blinking firefly to locate a collectible treasure was a real lightbulb moment. I wrote a haiku. I killed a bunch of dudes.

I will say that I keep trying to make my horse gallop by pressing the button that makes me JUMP OFF DRAMATICALLY, probably because my brain is trying to apply RDR2 horse controls, but that's just kind of funny, honestly.

Annoyingly, my good controller is acting up and seems to have developed some drift which is making Jin walk into things like a drunk, and my bad controller doesn't have a working R3 which is necessary for this game. It's very annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RoboRodent posted:

I started playing Ghost of Tsushima last night and I pet a fox, but not before I tried following it to a shrine and fell off a waterfall, not entirely sure of what sort of jumping I was able to do yet.

Inari!!! :argh:

Inari demands a sacrifice

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

haveblue posted:

There was at least one other psychic powers game that came out at about the same time, it was one of those weird little micro-trends

It was similarly weird that two games that came out in 2016, Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2, both had levels where you jump back and forth in time to solve puzzles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Timeloop gimmicks are very en vogue at the moment thanks to roguelikes being popular and/or having to creatively reuse assets in isolation thanks to pandemic conditions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

William Bear posted:

It was similarly weird that two games that came out in 2016, Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2, both had levels where you jump back and forth in time to solve puzzles.

Pretty sure that's been a thing in games forever. Banjo-Kazooie has it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

The devs think you're a loving idiot and hate you for engaging with their stealth mechanics.

But I play the exact same way :D

They tried in Prey, they tried in Dishonered, and they tried here. News Flash, Arkane: if you don't want me to play like a stealthy sniper popping heads with a silenced nailgun from across the map, don't make it incredibly loving satisfying! :c00lbert:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
From what I remember, they said part of the reason they set up Deathloop like they did was so that if you broke stealth it was an entirely reasonable thing to just fight your way out, unlike in Dishonored where it was easier to just reload a quicksave. Which I find to be a little thing that I love. It's a game that rewards stealth, but doesn't penalise going loud.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The first target you get was so explicitly set up for forcing you to go loud, and I loved it. The problem is that even if you alert everybody around to my presence, they still have to walk in light of side and have a head to click.

I don't know what it is about Deathloop but headshots seem so much easier, even with just iron sights. They made a John Wick Simulator and I love it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I rarely go loud in the game if I can help it but I love the Rapier because I found one that has exploding bullets so you only have to be sort of accurate across long distances to kill someone. You're also far enough away that they hear the explosion but not the gun shot so they go investigate and BOOM dead. It's only a one shot reload so I threw a purple reload trinket on there and it just smokes dudes.

If things get too close I switch to the Pepper Mill with the shredder trinket and just laugh until everyone is dead

:feelsgood:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hattie Masters posted:

From what I remember, they said part of the reason they set up Deathloop like they did was so that if you broke stealth it was an entirely reasonable thing to just fight your way out, unlike in Dishonored where it was easier to just reload a quicksave.

I don't understand this post because generally, seconds after going loud in dishonored, you're standing in a room of corpses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dishonored also incentivizes you to not create a pile of corpses (with the chaos system and clean hands goals)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I don't understand this post because generally, seconds after going loud in dishonored, you're standing in a room of corpses

Yeah but the problem was then you got the bad ending.

Honestly that was my biggest problem with Dishonored in general. They give you all these cool tools to be a magical assassin, but if you dare use them more than a handful of times you get punished for it. The chaos system should have dictated how later levels and enemy alertness is set up, sure, but not the ending.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you want to incentivize stealth you want to give rewards for it, not say "you get the bad ending if you don't use it often enough."

"Bad" endings in games in general I'm not very fond of, at least when they're very clearly meant to signal "you played wrong".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The good/bad ending didn't exist until people kept trying to play non-lethal and complaining there wasn't any reason to iirc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite (I'm being a bit facetious) thing in Dishonored 2 was I fought my way out of the first stage of Dishonored 2. It made sense: Everyone in the level is part of a coup attempt and trying to kill me and has killed multiple innocent people, and I don't have supernatural tools to get around them, just a gun and a sword. I then killed no one else for the rest of the game.

Killing my way to the boats to escape the first level ratcheted the chaos counter so high that I was halfway through the game before Emily stopped growling like the Punisher about what a ruthless butcher she is.

*Emily looking at a queen blood bug in a display case*
Emily: "How many of the people of Karnaka have I killed, like this parasite?" (paraphrased)
Me: None, Emily! You haven't killed anyone in this country!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Honestly that was my biggest problem with Dishonored in general. They give you all these cool tools to be a magical assassin, but if you dare use them more than a handful of times you get punished for it. The chaos system should have dictated how later levels and enemy alertness is set up, sure, but not the ending.

You can kill so many people and still get the good ending, but they didn't communicate that very well. It's mainly what you do with the targets that decides the ending.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's been reiterated to death by now but dishonored's original ending was the "bad" one, they're not really meant to be straight up "bad" or "good" but the whole game is about a weird dying society that the high chaos ending fits with more

Hattie Masters posted:

From what I remember, they said part of the reason they set up Deathloop like they did was so that if you broke stealth it was an entirely reasonable thing to just fight your way out, unlike in Dishonored where it was easier to just reload a quicksave. Which I find to be a little thing that I love. It's a game that rewards stealth, but doesn't penalise going loud.

It's awesome, because generally Colt is a murder machine well-equipped to handle waves of alert enemies with some quick thinking and clever power abuse, so while I usually try to abuse stealth, if I've spotted Julianna hanging out with a bunch of enemies and she hasn't seen me yet I'll go charging right the gently caress into the thick of it and try to use the sheer chaos of everything to my advantage. gently caress it, YOLOT

Joey Freshwater posted:

I rarely go loud in the game if I can help it but I love the Rapier because I found one that has exploding bullets so you only have to be sort of accurate across long distances to kill someone. You're also far enough away that they hear the explosion but not the gun shot so they go investigate and BOOM dead. It's only a one shot reload so I threw a purple reload trinket on there and it just smokes dudes.

i got this gun and cleared out like 80% of condition detachment through the windows from across the fuckin' bridge, it's awesome

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to what I think is the last level in Homefront on 360- the helicopter stuff is the most fun part of the whole game, way more satisfying than the FPS bits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This is also why I never got into Deus Ex: Human Revolution or finished it despite enjoying the gameplay alright. You're given so many tools for killing people in fun and exciting ways, then the game calls you an rear end in a top hat for using them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Photo mode in games be like:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vic posted:

Photo mode in games be like:

What game is that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Far Cry 6

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah sorry, Far Cry 6. I got it free with my SSD and it plays samba while you order your pet croc to eat fascists.

e:

Vic has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Oct 7, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My favorite part in Deathloop is after Ending 3 the post-credits conversation is so :3:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My favorite part in Deathloop is after Ending 3 the post-credits conversation is so :3:

Wait Ending 3??

Of course there are multiple endings. I’ve done a pretty solid job of not spoiling myself on the game.

Also I finally figured out that if you sit in one area long enough Julianna will come to you. I saw her across the map and sniped her one shot - it ruled

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It feels super loving great when you loop around some schmuck who thinks they're gonna be all batman looking for me and you sneak around and break their necks without them ever noticing at all. Being raided by Julianna and having a legit cat and mouse thing going on was extremely fun

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait Ending 3??

Of course there are multiple endings. I’ve done a pretty solid job of not spoiling myself on the game.

Also I finally figured out that if you sit in one area long enough Julianna will come to you. I saw her across the map and sniped her one shot - it ruled

There is so much good dialogue in Deathloop. Colt and Julianna's banter is one of the best things about the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cythereal posted:

This is also why I never got into Deus Ex: Human Revolution or finished it despite enjoying the gameplay alright. You're given so many tools for killing people in fun and exciting ways, then the game calls you an rear end in a top hat for using them.

At least Human Revolution gave you marginally more non-lethal options than Dishonored. And I feel like on some level the more grounded tone of HR made the question of how far Jensen should take things more interesting, whereas you never get the sense that Corvo has any reason whatsoever to keep his hands clean.

Though it is still lame that you'll never see Jensen's sick arm blades unless you play the game "wrong".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I did non-lethal till I hit the Belltower dudes at the FEMA camp, then the blades came out. :colbert: After that Belltower was open season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

At least Human Revolution gave you marginally more non-lethal options than Dishonored. And I feel like on some level the more grounded tone of HR made the question of how far Jensen should take things more interesting, whereas you never get the sense that Corvo has any reason whatsoever to keep his hands clean.

Though it is still lame that you'll never see Jensen's sick arm blades unless you play the game "wrong".

I didn't even know the armblades existed for a good stretch of the game. I think it was only because of a late-game cutscene I found out they existed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cythereal posted:

I rant about this all the time because it’s insanely stupid but the end for HR counted deaths in the intro level - you know, when Adam is more or less completely human, and his office is literally under siege by heavily armed terrorists, and the terrorists have kidnapped his girlfriend, and his job is to work security and secure the building with a big loving gun. At the end of the intro level they put you in a coma, they’re not loving around. Having those terrorist goons count against the “oh my god I’ve become an inhuman killing machine” morality counter makes absolutely no sense on any level.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
The worst thing about the chaos system in Dishonored is that the framing of it as "now everything is hosed up and everyone hates you and your child is a murder aficionado" and the obscure way it counts Chaos are keeping it from being a Favourite Little Thing. Drop or rework the narrative implications and simplify it to "did you get caught and fight a lot of guards", and it's got potential to just be a neat system to give more gooder fights for people who want to fight a lot.

Frosty Mossman has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Oct 8, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's only for the dumb achievement. DXHR doesn't penalize you for killing peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Vic posted:

It's only for the dumb achievement. DXHR doesn't penalize you for killing peeps.

A lot of people think that if a certain playstyle has an achievement attached, playing the game in any other way is wrong.