Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Imagine how weird it is when you've never really heard of it before waking up to see that!

That was part of my thought process, actually. At some point I basically took a step back and thought “this poo poo looks and feels weird as all hell.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The fact that it was all specifically about poisoning that plant kind of put the :stonk: cherry on top of it all.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

My succulent discord has a rule against using common plant names with ethnic connotations. Destructive intent towards the plant aside, I think it's a good idea.

On another note, I bought some broms.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is probably the wrong thread but hey, plants. I just bought a house. Got a small lawn and I'd love to not have to mow as often. Not actively looking for what I think is implied by the word "xeriscaping", but is there a written resource somewhere for types of grasses native to areas and like, lowest-maintenance options? Can I just slam clover all over my lawn and call it a day?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can I just slam clover all over my lawn and call it a day?

You can, yes, depending on where you are.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
You might want to also ask over in the landscaping thread; there may be more people familiar with grassy lawns over there.

To get the most relevant information for your situation, you will need to post your general location (state and county probably at a minimum if you are in a big state) along with general site conditions (wet, dry, sunny or not, that sort of thing).

It's also important to consider what you envision using the space for - for instance, if no children/pets/ect. will be actively rolling around playing on the surface, you may want to consider options beyond a traditional grassed lawn.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Put it outside for the summer (until like October) and under an inexpensive light indoors.

It’s all etiolated and long now, but you can chop the trunk right under the artichoke bit, stick it back in the soil (ideally put some rooting hormone compound on it, but you really don’t have to), and have a nice squat plant again.

Don’t throw out the cut trunk- it’ll start to grow babies.

Echeveria are crazy propagators- you’ll see it drop leaves at various points in the season and grow clones from them. If you really wanted to, you could chop that plant up and every leaf and cutting would eventually grow into some baby Echeveria

This is from a while ago but I could use more info about this. I have an echeveria and a jade plant that are both super leggy.

I’ve tried growing jade plant pieces when they plop off but they usually rot. I put them in water till they root then pot them and about 3/4 have rotted so far.

Should I let the baby jades sprout more little leaves when they’re rooting in the water before potting them? Could I be keeping them too damp after potting?

I want to lop off the echeveria and make more of them but I think I need a different method than I’ve been using since it’s not working great.

Any help would be appreciated!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ghost Cactus posted:

This is from a while ago but I could use more info about this. I have an echeveria and a jade plant that are both super leggy.

I’ve tried growing jade plant pieces when they plop off but they usually rot. I put them in water till they root then pot them and about 3/4 have rotted so far.

Should I let the baby jades sprout more little leaves when they’re rooting in the water before potting them? Could I be keeping them too damp after potting?

I want to lop off the echeveria and make more of them but I think I need a different method than I’ve been using since it’s not working great.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't think water rooting is correct. Succulent rot easily when overwatered, and my instinct is that the same would apply to props. I root all my leaves by simply leaving them on some dirt (or even just on a dish) in a dim well ventilated area. Once they develop roots, I stick them in soil and water lightly.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

pokie posted:

I don't think water rooting is correct. Succulent rot easily when overwatered, and my instinct is that the same would apply to props. I root all my leaves by simply leaving them on some dirt (or even just on a dish) in a dim well ventilated area. Once they develop roots, I stick them in soil and water lightly.

That makes sense. Thank you! Explains my success rate since I’m doing the exact opposite of what they want.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I tried water rooting this guy below and it went nuts; this jar was completely full of roots by the time I moved it to soil and it's doing fine

On the other hand, I too have killed my share of succulents with overwatering them once they're in soil. Plants are weird

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghost Cactus posted:

That makes sense. Thank you! Explains my success rate since I’m doing the exact opposite of what they want.

Yep. I just leave cuttings/dropped leaves in a dish or even in the very pot where they drop and let them sprout there.

If there’s dry soil in the dish they tend to do a bit better, but a lot of the time they’ll just start putting out roots/leaves wherever they drop and then they can be repotted.

In the summertime I leave them outside and they propagate really quickly. Any other time of year I do it indoors in a windowsill or under the grow light.

Never ever propagate succulents in water. It’s fundamentally the opposite of how they survive and you’ll kill them p much every time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nosre posted:

I tried water rooting this guy below and it went nuts; this jar was completely full of roots by the time I moved it to soil and it's doing fine

On the other hand, I too have killed my share of succulents with overwatering them once they're in soil. Plants are weird

Echeveria can tolerate (tolerate) water rooting, but if you’d propagated that trunk in a dish of soil instead of water you’d have babies growing out of all of those nodes instead of roots.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

oh yea it's more of a curiosity or fun project to try, wasn't saying it was best practice

On another note, we were away 6 weeks and I had neighbors water for me, but they did not do enough for my Avocado. I'm happy to see it's pulling through :unsmith:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The problem with water rooting in general is that the filamentous roots don't need to do any real development since all the water is just right there so you can get what looks like a lot of root development but most of it isn't functional (outside of water, anyway).

I, also, just drop mine on top of some little pots I keep on my windowsill until they root themselves in. I do usually use a substrate that holds a little more water for propagation vs actual growing.

Speaking of water last week I killed off all of the roots on my tiny little Adromischus by not noticing the water hanging out in its saucer :(. Hopefully the couple hundred 3/4" rubber feeties I got from Amazon will prevent similar fuckups in the future.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 7, 2021

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yep. I just leave cuttings/dropped leaves in a dish or even in the very pot where they drop and let them sprout there.

If there’s dry soil in the dish they tend to do a bit better, but a lot of the time they’ll just start putting out roots/leaves wherever they drop and then they can be repotted.

In the summertime I leave them outside and they propagate really quickly. Any other time of year I do it indoors in a windowsill or under the grow light.

Never ever propagate succulents in water. It’s fundamentally the opposite of how they survive and you’ll kill them p much every time.

Wallet posted:

The problem with water rooting in general is that the filamentous roots don't need to do any real development since all the water is just right there so you can get what looks like a lot of root development but most of it isn't functional (outside of water, anyway).

I, also, just drop mine on top of some little pots I keep on my windowsill until they root themselves in. I do usually use a substrate that holds a little more water for propagation vs actual growing.

Speaking of water last week I killed off all of the roots on my tiny little Adromischus by not noticing the water hanging out in its saucer :(. Hopefully the couple hundred 3/4" rubber feeties I got from Amazon will prevent similar fuckups in the future.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I will let them sit on a dish on a sunny windowsill.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghost Cactus posted:

Thank you! This is super helpful. I will let them sit on a dish on a sunny windowsill.

It’s also good to let cuttings (esp cacti and euphorbia) callus over in the air for a few days-to-two weeks before potting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So quick question about planting citrus - I keep seeing "Citrus/Cactus/Avocado potting soil", what the hell is that exactly, and is it absolutely required? What sort of soil should I be planting into? Can i make my own or something similar?

I do understand that I'm going to need citrus specific fertilizer, that's no big deal.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It's the gritty mix that keeps getting mentioned. Basically just low organic matter, well draining soil for plants that drown easily.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Solkanar512 posted:

So quick question about planting citrus - I keep seeing "Citrus/Cactus/Avocado potting soil", what the hell is that exactly, and is it absolutely required? What sort of soil should I be planting into? Can i make my own or something similar?

I do understand that I'm going to need citrus specific fertilizer, that's no big deal.
Are you putting them in the ground or in pots? IDK anything about potting mixes, but if in the ground, I would try to amend your yard dirt, not plant them in potting soil.

My citrus grows fine in the sandy but high in organic matter, well drained, very acidic, native dirt here. Basically azalea/camellia/blueberry dirt.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hutla posted:

It's the gritty mix that keeps getting mentioned. Basically just low organic matter, well draining soil for plants that drown easily.

There's a slightly longer description of gritty mix (and what to use to make your own) in the third post of da thread, but that's definitely a container thing.

Most trees that make fruit want some fertilizing, but a specialized fertilizer for citrus trees probably isn't really necessary IMO.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are you putting them in the ground or in pots? IDK anything about potting mixes, but if in the ground, I would try to amend your yard dirt, not plant them in potting soil.

My citrus grows fine in the sandy but high in organic matter, well drained, very acidic, native dirt here. Basically azalea/camellia/blueberry dirt.

Ok, good to know. They're being planted in the ground and my soil is very similar so I'll amend it lightly. The instructions do say to use a citrus fertilizer, so I will err in that direction but I have a feeling that once established that it won't actually matter all that much. I've had great results with Espoma's "Tree tone" on my Japanese maples, so I'll likely go that route.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll post some pictures of the forsythia carcasses and newly planted citrus when I'm done.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is what I use to make high-draining soil mix: Pumice stones, perlite and organics of your choice (locally-made soil mix from a nursery I go to). I agree with amending your existing yard soil but a blend of these ingredients seems to be working for me.

Edit: VVV yea I haven’t made up my mind but I’m leaning that direction.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 8, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Perlite is fine but I really hate the look of it. There isn't any harm in just using pumice or small gravel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I got some new plants

Need some help identifying this Euphorbia

It’s like a more “extreme” and more angular/bigger/much more substantial lactea. Looks kind of like grandicornis to some extent, maybe a hybrid?

Also got these guys. 90% certain these are Euphorbia meloformis x obesa hybrid, but would love a second opinion. They originally came with dumb plastic flowers so no ID on the label for some reason

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s like a more “extreme” and more angular/bigger/much more substantial lactea. Looks kind of like grandicornis to some extent, maybe a hybrid?

If I had a gun to my head I'd probably call it a lactea cultivar (there used to be some larger ones floating around but I don't remember their names) because of the shape of the new cladodes and because I think you could get them that chonky if you had a very well developed (outdoor) plant that you were propagating via cutting. Of course it could also be some godforsaken hybrid, and then who could possibly say?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also got these guys. 90% certain these are Euphorbia meloformis x obesa hybrid, but would love a second opinion. They originally came with dumb plastic flowers so no ID on the label for some reason

Very cute; it looks a great deal like E. meloformis f. falsa (previously infausta).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to the thread. The suggestion that my sad, yellow pepper plants needed a different fertilizer was spot on.

That was a few days ago. It’s even bushier now. Leaves growing like it’s frigging spring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you need a reminder, Home Depot is liquidating all of their remaining non-Holiday trees and shrubs at 50% off. Lots of great deals to be had on junipers and picea and acers and plums and weird surprises and whatnot

maybe you’ll find an unloved Mugo pine that’s too ugly for the yard (but perfect to start making into a bonsai) for $11, or maybe that spruce forest planting you’ve had on your mind is suddenly much more in-budget now.

or maybe you’ll do what I did and pick up a 3’ Tamukeyama that’s like 70% of the way there for $44.99 (seriously, what the gently caress) :wtc:

like I don’t want to blow poo poo out my rear end all over my clean pants here but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen dead ringers for this guy at New England Bonsai selling for like $800+

I love a tree and I don’t care who knows

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Perlite is the bee’s knees. Porous, nonorganic, and extremely light.

Get the extra chunky stuff (#3 or even #4) from a weed supply place.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have burnable plants next to the front of my house and I need to switch to succulents. Zone 9B, moist seacoast area that doesn't rain in the summer. What do you think is really beautiful? All heights and widths welcome.

To give you some idea of my tastes, here are some I like from Annie's Annuals (won't necessarily order succulents from there, it's just the catalog top-of-mind for me.)

https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=4124 Aeonium decorum 'Sunburst', https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=1202 Aeonium tabuliforme "Dinner Plate Aeonium", many echeverias. Basically, interesting, relatively large-scale textures and colors. I'm sorry if this is a lazy list; I've never considered succulents before.

As tribute, I bring a succulent octopus from my local botanical garden.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have burnable plants next to the front of my house and I need to switch to succulents. Zone 9B, moist seacoast area that doesn't rain in the summer. What do you think is really beautiful? All heights and widths welcome.

Plant Delights has some really gorgeous Agave I would grow if it weren't multiple zones too cold for them here. I'm big on some of the tree form Yucca as well but they can be harder to find (at least online/around here).

Mountain Crest Gardens is also a decent place to get smaller succulents very inexpensively if you're willing to wait for them to grow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anything rosette would be fun to mix and match: Aloe, Echeveria, Haworthia, and Aeonium.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

seeds from my Pelargonium alternans

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

My bulbers came in today unexpectedly. I got a lot of planting to do. Probably shouldn't have spent the weekend reorganizing the shed, my back is already sore.

pokie posted:

seeds from my Pelargonium alternans
I like your pelargonium! I don't see enough of them. Will you try to grow more from seed?

Mine (cotyledonis) has been doing well the last few months after spending its first half-year in my care as a slightly green stick but I haven't seen any hint of flowers:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
has anybody tried growing big succulents (cacti and euphorbias) in textile grow bags?

Some of my big specimens are rapidly outgrowing their 8 and 10 inch plastic/terra cotta pots and I’m looking toward getting them in something that

1) breathes and isn’t too deep/prone to holding moisture where it won’t be properly drained/sucked

2) isn’t fragile or prone to cracking/breakage

3) isn’t topheavy, something that isn’t gonna tip over and probably break or crack

4) doesn’t weigh a whole bunch and make a heavy plant situation already much heavier

grow bags seem good, and if they’re good enough for weed and tomato people they’re probably fine for a big ol’ cactus, right?

I’m worried about them losing their shape/being difficult to control and keep upright. Don’t want an expensive and spiky prize E. horrida or Trichocereus group to go flopping out of a grow bag and onto the floor/my body

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also how do ppl feel about dollar tree colanders/hampers/strainers/etc/you know what I mean- plastic meshy/screeny pots and bowls

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

has anybody tried growing big succulents (cacti and euphorbias) in textile grow bags?

I haven't tried it but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work with an appropriate soil mix (except for potential stability problems of the bag itself, bags don't seem great for things you want to move with any kind of regularity). I was able to buy some larger plastic pots for a project I was doing outdoors from a hydroponics supplier for a lot less than nurseries/home depot/etc, so that might be worth looking into assuming price is part of the motivation.

I would be careful about trying to find pots or bags or whatever that are less than normal depth, though, since that's going to increase your odds of the plants not being able to root deep enough to keep themselves from tipping and having a cactus fall on you will be unpleasant.

Re: moisture concerns, having used it for quite a while now and repotted enough things to be able to tell, it seems like something about the particle size of gritty mix makes succulents care less about being moist for longer periods of time. I have a few 12+ inch pots and even with gritty in there it quickly starts becoming enough volume that they don't dry out that quickly, but the plants don't seem to be bothered as long as the bottom of the pot isn't sitting in a saucer of water. Even in a mesh bag or something a soil based substrate seems like it's going to be able to hold onto water for a frighteningly long time when you've got 8 or 9 gallons of it in a cylinder.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 12, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Some of my big specimens are rapidly outgrowing their 8 and 10 inch plastic/terra cotta pots and I’m looking toward getting them in something that

1) breathes and isn’t too deep/prone to holding moisture where it won’t be properly drained/sucked

2) isn’t fragile or prone to cracking/breakage

3) isn’t topheavy, something that isn’t gonna tip over and probably break or crack

4) doesn’t weigh a whole bunch and make a heavy plant situation already much heavier

grow bags seem good, and if they’re good enough for weed and tomato people they’re probably fine for a big ol’ cactus, right?

I’m worried about them losing their shape/being difficult to control and keep upright. Don’t want an expensive and spiky prize E. horrida or Trichocereus group to go flopping out of a grow bag and onto the floor/my body

Bags are fine. They move fine if you have handles, and I've moved mine around plenty. They do wear out faster than anything else but don't break easily, and the first part that goes is the bottom, but that's from getting wet and wearing out. Probably less of an issue for most of your cactus' life in them. They do drain well, and I've had cherry tomatoes 3' tall just over loaded in one on a slope, so that's very good too.

I picked up a Euphorbia cereiformis and Kalanchoe blossfeldiana hybrid from the big orange box store today. Opposed to most others I've been in, they don't overwater their succulents/cacti and indeed look like they haven't been watered in weeks (but happily so). The Euphorbia has about 5-6 small new branches starting to move off, so I'll have to figure out how to divide it properly, and the Kalanchoe is about to flower, so hopefully I'll get to see what color those are soon. There's also a leaf from another succulent that I found under the Euphorbia, so it must have gotten stuck on the shelf. It's in good condition, so I'll see if I can't just get it to root itself too. Just no idea what it is right now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Neighbor gave me some chunks of a cactus of his that toppled over in Ida. Should I just pop these things in a pot with gritty mix and stick in the sun? I'm not really a pro on cacti

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Neighbor gave me some chunks of a cactus of his that toppled over in Ida. Should I just pop these things in a pot with gritty mix and stick in the sun? I'm not really a pro on cacti

Pretty much. Looks like they're already rooting. You may want to be careful about how much sun you give them before they have some more roots if you're growing them in a pot rather than in the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I like your pelargonium! I don't see enough of them. Will you try to grow more from seed?

Yeah, that's the idea. I should dredge up my remaining lithops, conophytum, and pseudolithos seeds too.