Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/152/my-hero-academia-chapter-329

with a chapter title like that what could possibly go wrong

Well it was nice knowing you Star and Stripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Shigaraki is just cool as hell lately. Our boy's come a long way from being bothered by his untreated eczema.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

So the big bad villain that's been hyped for something like two and a half seasons shows up at the scene. But then Almight punches him in the chin 3 times and he falls down on the ground and the crowd joins in cheering and it's all over

Did not expect this :v:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is the manga thread, bud. If you wanna post here at your own peril that's fine but there's absolutely 0% need for you to spoiler anything haha

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Feliday Melody posted:

So the big bad villain that's been hyped for something like two and a half seasons shows up at the scene. But then Almight punches him in the chin 3 times and he falls down on the ground and the crowd joins in cheering and it's all over

You know we have a thread specifically dedicated to the anime right?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963453

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All Might vs. All for One ends anticlimactically for All for One's first outing, but it's a pretty good "All Might's last stand" situation, so I get why people like it.

Still cannot find it within me to enjoy Deku vs. Muscular, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

United States of Smash is hype as hell.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I kinda like how the league (other than Shigaraki who isn't really himself anymore anyway) just look completely burned out, like, they're mostly complying, but they didn't sign up to follow All For One specifically and even Spinner is just doing so out of inertia. It's an interesting villain dynamic, that their victory doesn't feel "earned" and their leadership just feels completely usurped.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dabi always looks burnt out.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Ironically Dabi's probly the only one still having fun.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hmm, this is an interesting setup Hori has going here. It seems pretty obvious that Star is doomed, but I have a hunch that Spinner's going to get her Quirk (by way of AFO). And Spinner might end up being in a position to suddenly turn onto AFO at a critical moment. We all know how much Hori loves Star Wars, after all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Feliday Melody posted:

It’s important to understand that they’re both shadows of their former selves. All for One was heavily crippled in the same fight that All Might assumed had killed him, and of course we already know what All Might’s situation is. That said, it still takes every last bit of juice he has to put All for One down for the count. It’s really about All Night’s last stand more than anything

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Probably Magic posted:

I kinda like how the league (other than Shigaraki who isn't really himself anymore anyway) just look completely burned out, like, they're mostly complying, but they didn't sign up to follow All For One specifically and even Spinner is just doing so out of inertia. It's an interesting villain dynamic, that their victory doesn't feel "earned" and their leadership just feels completely usurped.

Genuinely sort of more invested in Shigaraki's outcast villain squad than the heroes. The switch in focus to the main villain threat being AFO, the Liberation army, the escaped criminals, and the Nomu does a good job of managing to make the original villains still feel like underdogs even though this is supposed to be their triumph. There's a real "What were we fighting for?" vibe, a lot of genuine tragedy even for a bunch of murderous cartoon villains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know people say that AFO wasn't at his best in that fight, but I'd argue that, while that may be the case, the real issue is more how he chooses to fight All Might.

Beyond having his face mauled off, he seems to be in pretty good shape the whole time and could've just won by sniping All Might with those concussive blasts. But he decided to go about humiliating All Might before killing him as the bigger punch man, which put him in a terrible position that allowed All Might to one-shot him.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It wasn't really a fight to be fair, it was pretty much AFO toying with All Might and then getting punked for not taking any of it seriously.

I'll admit I was hoping they'd do something more interesting with the new character than it looks like they are going to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I know people say that AFO wasn't at his best in that fight, but I'd argue that, while that may be the case, the real issue is more how he chooses to fight All Might.

Beyond having his face mauled off, he seems to be in pretty good shape the whole time and could've just won by sniping All Might with those concussive blasts. But he decided to go about humiliating All Might before killing him as the bigger punch man, which put him in a terrible position that allowed All Might to one-shot him.

Why bother being the demon lord if you’re not going to have fun while being it?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryaomon posted:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/152/my-hero-academia-chapter-329

with a chapter title like that what could possibly go wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ercQOGIcAc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao Stars and Stripes is just radiating death flags. She took all the ones Jinbe doesn't need any more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At what point does an author go "drat these are TOO MANY DEATH FLAGS" and subverts expectations or do they just roll with it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stars and Stripes is now going to talk about how she is two days from retirement, just beat cancer, and has a girl waiting for her back home in the 'states.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

At what point does an author go "drat these are TOO MANY DEATH FLAGS" and subverts expectations or do they just roll with it.

I mean MHA has already done so, given that's the whole deal with All Might vs AfO. I don't think Stars and Stripes is dying here, I do expect her to lose though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My only thing is: AFO is a little too excited about getting Stars and Stripe's quirk for me to think he'll succeed. I mean, completed Shigaraki with the hard-hitters leftover from the Redestro crew I think should be enough to give the good guys a good final battle. Aizawa is even more limited to flip Shigaraki's quirks off and a 70% complete version of Shigaraki was basically dunking on the entire crew. Even pseudo-100% Deku I think would be pressed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New Vigilantes
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-111/chapter/23276?action=read

Knuckleduster nooooooo:smith:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Really wanna see the spin-off's spin-off where 6 chose Orca as his quirk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean MHA has already done so, given that's the whole deal with All Might vs AfO. I don't think Stars and Stripes is dying here, I do expect her to lose though.

Or when Lock Rock was giving the kids a hard time during the Overhaul raid and then it revealed he just had a kid only for him to survive the raid, as well as the huge war with the Villains despite being right there were Shigaraki was!

There was also the whole Captain Celebrity arc in Vigilantes, but that's a different writer, so I'm not sure it counts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair that is probably the most badass death in the entire franchise so far.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not accepting this death until I actually see the explosion. Koichi is going to fly in at the last second and save him

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm sure it's been posted already but AFO is going to give Spinner an obscenely powerful quirk and he's going to turn good/vigilante after he learned that Stain is working with All Might

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spinner is extremely done with this poo poo and is not far off a heel turn, for sure.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm sure it's been posted already but AFO is going to give Spinner an obscenely powerful quirk and he's going to turn good/vigilante after he learned that Stain is working with All Might

We did already have at least half of that story beat with Nagant fwiw

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also(Vigilantes spoilers) I'm still reeling from the reveal that Number 6 isn't actually a weird blob monster, but actually just a dude with a really depressing mental disorder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah gently caress. I love Vigilantes.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

(329 spoilers)I have a feeling AFO is gonna accidentally say something bigoted about Spinner in the heat of the moment, and that’s gonna be Spinner’s crack-ping event that will cause him to defect.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Awesomesaurus posted:

(329 spoilers)I have a feeling AFO is gonna accidentally say something bigoted about Spinner in the heat of the moment, and that’s gonna be Spinner’s crack-ping event that will cause him to defect.

AFO has a heated gamer moment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s going to be interesting for whoever at Bones refuses to put him in the anime

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I personally expect that literally nothing will come of spinner besides him getting his rear end kicked and bringing in more random flunkies for whatever the final battle is

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Also(Vigilantes spoilers) I'm still reeling from the reveal that Number 6 isn't actually a weird blob monster, but actually just a dude with a really depressing mental disorder.

It's worked really effectively at making sure we didn't empathize with him too much... until recently.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Jen X posted:

I personally expect that literally nothing will come of spinner besides him getting his rear end kicked and bringing in more random flunkies for whatever the final battle is

I agree with this except I think Stain is going to personally kill Spinner for being on the wrong side and feeling "responsible" for someone clearly trying to follow in his footsteps and going about it "wrong". Spinner will get some kind of dying monologue revealing a key weakness of AFO or something in an attempt to redeem himself

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My call: Spinner's big thing is going to be him asking Deku to save Shigaraki because he's his friend and doesn't like AFO controlling him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Spinner is gonna make an even play bigger sword and stab the cruller in the present