Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

Was about to post that, him looking dopey is not a bad visual clue.

Overall, I liked the trailer quite a bit. I'm still very hype for the show to finally air.

That's exactly it, and I spent like 5 minutes yesterday trying to remember when the cloaks ever served a function beyond announcing "my wearer is a warder!". I can't come up with one, so it's fine for the show to drop them.

It's not on screen a lot, but it is a big part of the Warder thing that they're almost impossible to find if they're trying to be sneaky. When their Aes Sedai is hiding or otherwise needs a guard they pop up out of nowhere on anyone trying to find her because with the cloak on they're mostly invisible. It's not on screen a lot, so I'm hoping they toss them in once or twice just to show they have them and that Warders can hide pretty easily if they need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
For me, maybe the part of the Warder cloak I like the most is the flashback to the man wearing the latest in fashionable fancloth outfits. That sudden "Oh. Oh poo poo." as one more example of civilian luxury being repurposed for war clicks into place.

But then, that's just the entire glass columns sequence.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
there was a rider....he scared me. his cloak--it was invisible, but only sometimes, when the rider would say "go go gadget" beforehand

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Brolander posted:

there was a rider....he scared me. his cloak--it was invisible, but only sometimes, when the rider would say "go go gadget" beforehand

This makes me think of cybernetics. As the Age of Legend did everything with magic, the magic-influenced society of modern Rand Land has conceptually not much problems with them, even if they have no idea what e.g. that giant needle which kills everything getting too close is supposed to do, the answer is still somewhere in the realm of "probably magic".

But how would a Rand Land society handle it if someone digs up stuff like brain implants? Imagine some magic society cracking open an ancient vault from 3000 years ago and inside would be cybernetic brains in stasis capsules and other weird biomechanical hybrid poo poo. How would a society where everything special was done with magic react to that? What would they even think putting pieces of metal into a brain was supposed to do?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

"Those are some weird ter'angreal. Better call Tar Valon and not touch it."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Libluini posted:

This makes me think of cybernetics. As the Age of Legend did everything with magic, the magic-influenced society of modern Rand Land has conceptually not much problems with them, even if they have no idea what e.g. that giant needle which kills everything getting too close is supposed to do, the answer is still somewhere in the realm of "probably magic".

But how would a Rand Land society handle it if someone digs up stuff like brain implants? Imagine some magic society cracking open an ancient vault from 3000 years ago and inside would be cybernetic brains in stasis capsules and other weird biomechanical hybrid poo poo. How would a society where everything special was done with magic react to that? What would they even think putting pieces of metal into a brain was supposed to do?

They'd probably think it's hosed up Age of Legends magic that doesn't work anymore and recycle the metal or something. At best it ends up in some noble's museum like that Mercedes hood ornament in the palace in Tarabon.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gwaihir posted:

I think the only cool little bit related to them is when Moridin first pops on the scene, and he's wearing a full rear end complete suit of Fancloth as a stealth getup while spying on Graendal and Sammael's toying with the Shaido. It's a nice reminder/throwback to the visions from the Age of Legends where it was just a normal uniform for soldiers, and it's kinda silly how they still have the ability to make it, but are sorta too nearsighted to use it as much more than a warder status symbol.

I always liked the fan theory that the White Tower had a terangreal that could make fancloth, but they didn't know how to actually sew fancloth without breaking the invisible effect, so they could just make medium sized squares of cloth.

Given the option between color shifting cloaks, color shifting ponchos, and and color shifting togas, warders went with cloaks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

seaborgium posted:

It's not on screen a lot, but it is a big part of the Warder thing that they're almost impossible to find if they're trying to be sneaky. When their Aes Sedai is hiding or otherwise needs a guard they pop up out of nowhere on anyone trying to find her because with the cloak on they're mostly invisible. It's not on screen a lot, so I'm hoping they toss them in once or twice just to show they have them and that Warders can hide pretty easily if they need to.

Aiel hiding impossibly close to other characters get featured a lot more often in the story than warders being sneaky.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Torrannor posted:

Aiel hiding impossibly close to other characters get featured a lot more often in the story than warders being sneaky.

For all you know. There could be hidden warders in every scene ready to spring into action and you would never see it coming

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainsDescendant posted:

For all you know. There could be hidden warders in every scene ready to spring into action and you would never see it coming

assembling the thousands of actors playing the warders hiding in every scene why it’s taken so long to get S1 out

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, but at least this forum has no pull in terms of driving dumb trends online these days or inspiring youtube rant videos

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Torrannor posted:

Apparently the Aes Sedai rings are all set with a stone matching their ajah color. Which makes me wonder how the wonder girls will pull off the "posing as Aes Sedai" trick, since accepted probably don't have a colored stone set in their ring.

I just read the relevant section in EoTW again, and Moiraine really does give her name, and wears her Great Serpent ring openly. It's just that at least Rand doesn't recognize her as an Aes Sedai by it.

I sort of felt like the ring was something that was recognizable to other Aes Sedai but may not necessarily be something normal people would look for or twig onto.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

I sort of felt like the ring was something that was recognizable to other Aes Sedai but may not necessarily be something normal people would look for or twig onto.

The stone in the rings shown in the trailer looked huge to me, I assumed it would be a small jewel for the eyes or something

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mad Hamish posted:

The supergirls flash their rings often enough at random people, and most recognize them for Aes Sedai then.

DarkHorse posted:

The stone in the rings shown in the trailer looked huge to me, I assumed it would be a small jewel for the eyes or something

I guess that wouldn't work in television. I think it's a good enough compromise. It allows viewers to easily tell which ajah an Aes Sedai belongs to, while not forcing those characters to only wear blue or green or whatever all the time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Many of the sisters color code themselves by their dresses, anyway. Especially after the split.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Many of the sisters color code themselves by their dresses, anyway. Especially after the split.

They do, those in the White Tower especially. But not all of them, iirc Cadsuane wasn't shy about wearing non-green dresses for example.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

True, but it was kind of a "Show, don't tell" thing that helped cement why the Aiel were so badass. The only people capable of hiding like them needed special invisibility cloaks to do it.

Really I just think they're cool, and I want them to sneak one in here and there at some point. I can easily see that it would be too expensive to have them as often as the books, but tossing one in now and again would be fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

this thread just got finished getting mad about moiraine using her real name and the richest man in town having a big inn so let’s keep those stones on the ground for now

Did Marion Al'vere know Moraine was aes sedai? I just watched the trailer and Lan introduces her as just Moraine, but then there's a lingering close up on her tar valon ring and "of course moraine sedai"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In the book? Not until after she started throwing fire and lightning at Trollocs during Winternight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe they avoid the long af history lessons. That being known would shave hundreds of pages off of eotw and later EF

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Isn't Season 1 supposed to include book 2? How are they gonna do that if they just cast Elaine and Lanfear?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Glumslinger posted:

Isn't Season 1 supposed to include book 2? How are they gonna do that if they just cast Elaine and Lanfear?

It looks like the first season is *mostly* book one, with some parts from books 2 and 3. They also seem to be skipping Caemlyn.

I just hope they don't leave out Loial.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Loial has been cast so I don't think they're leaving him out

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The show runner has been p upfront about how they plan to rearrange certain parts of the books bringing things in sooner or later. I suspect the ways are gonna be their way out of a jam in maybe Baerlon to the EotW instead of Camelyn so they can loop back to it later. I feel like S1 is going to eschew showing the larger set pieces in the world to save them for escalating the scale and scope of the story as it advances.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RJ had a habit of introducing plot threads/characters/scenery that wouldn't have a real "payoff" for many books. i imagine that stuff doesn't play very well with a tv audience. maybe a bit moreso if amazon was willing to just straight bankroll years of production without promise of returns, but big budget tv producers arent exactly known for taking risks.

like who's gonna remember or care about one throwaway scene from season two where they show that giant statue and fifty hours of tv later rand uses it to cleanse saidin

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hooplah posted:

RJ had a habit of introducing plot threads/characters/scenery that wouldn't have a real "payoff" for many books. i imagine that stuff doesn't play very well with a tv audience. maybe a bit moreso if amazon was willing to just straight bankroll years of production without promise of returns, but big budget tv producers arent exactly known for taking risks.

like who's gonna remember or care about one throwaway scene from season two where they show that giant statue and fifty hours of tv later rand uses it to cleanse saidin

i may be misremembering based on the things i was most bored by, but it feels like a lot of "some random darkfriend/black ajah plotting how they're going to get ahead" really takes up a lot of space too

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hooplah posted:

Game of Thrones did one hell of a job of dealing with this kind of thing with those opening credits swooping around to remind people of major landmarks and associated events.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The show runner has been p upfront about how they plan to rearrange certain parts of the books bringing things in sooner or later. I suspect the ways are gonna be their way out of a jam in maybe Baerlon to the EotW instead of Camelyn so they can loop back to it later. I feel like S1 is going to eschew showing the larger set pieces in the world to save them for escalating the scale and scope of the story as it advances.

Educated guess time.

They're also not doing Baerlon. The first two episodes will be Emond's Field and Shadar Logoth, with an encounter with some Whitecloaks somewhere in there (Geofram Bornhald and Eamon Valda are in the table read for these two episodes).

Then the party gets split. Going by guesses based on released teaser materials and leaks, we're going to see Thom in Rand and Mat's roadtrip. We're going to see a dead Aielman in a cage in Perrin's arc here, a tinker camp, probably more Whitecloaks, and a wolf pack attack. We're going to see Logain, probably an escape attempt, and Moiraine, Lan, and Nynaeve will help Kerene, Alanna, Liandrin, etc., in this section.

Else Grinwell, Basel Gill, and Loial are all cast, so it's a good bet that they will feature in Rand and Mat's roadtrip. No clue what combination of darkfriends and Fades will feature here. I hope we get the hapless Paitr.

That also feels like it's going to be about 2 episodes of material. I would guess that we get a CGI Caemlyn in the distance but the Queen's Blessing inn will be just the final stop on the roadtrip in the far outskirts where the rest of the party catches up to Rand and Mat.

Ep 5 is probably some kind of catchup episode, we're going to get everybody together to talk about all the leads to send them to the Eye of the World, heal Mat, maybe some dark prophecy exposition, etc. Released material metadata seems to indicate that the journey in the Ways will be in ep6, and Fal Dara and the Blight will feature in 7. 8 is probably denouement, and losing the Horn will give us a cliffhanger lead-in into TGH material for S2.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 11, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Educated guess time.

They're also not doing Baerlon. The first two episodes will be Emond's Field and Shadar Logoth, with an encounter with some Whitecloaks somewhere in there (Geofram Bornhald and Eamon Valda are in the table read for these two episodes).

Then the party gets split. Going by guesses based on released teaser materials and leaks, we're going to see Thom in Rand and Mat's roadtrip. We're going to see a dead Aielman in a cage in Perrin's arc here, a tinker camp, probably more Whitecloaks, and a wolf pack attack. We're going to see Logain, probably an escape attempt, and Moiraine, Lan, and Nynaeve will help Kerene, Alanna, Liandrin, etc., in this section.

Else Grinwell, Basel Gill, and Loial are all cast, so it's a good bet that they will feature in Rand and Mat's roadtrip. No clue what combination of darkfriends and Fades will feature here. I hope we get the hapless Paitr.

That also feels like it's going to be about 2 episodes of material. I would guess that we get a CGI Caemlyn in the distance but the Queen's Blessing inn will be just the final stop on the roadtrip in the far outskirts where the rest of the party catches up to Rand and Mat.

Ep 5 is probably some kind of catchup episode, we're going to get everybody together to talk about all the leads to send them to the Eye of the World, heal Mat, maybe some dark prophecy exposition, etc. Released material metadata seems to indicate that the journey in the Ways will be in ep6, and Fal Dara and the Blight will feature in 7. 8 is probably denouement, and losing the Horn will give us a cliffhanger lead-in into TGH material for S2.

Probably makes more sense to relocate Min from Baerlon to the Queen's Blessing than skipping the edge of Camelyn I can see that. I was thinking they may want to avoid the giant projection Moraine there and the ways would be a good way to cut that, but just excising that and fitting her character into the Inn at Camelyn would probably be better. We know she's in S1 based on the casting so she will have to be somewhere in some of that split.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Probably makes more sense to relocate Min from Baerlon to the Queen's Blessing than skipping the edge of Camelyn I can see that. I was thinking they may want to avoid the giant projection Moraine there and the ways would be a good way to cut that, but just excising that and fitting her character into the Inn at Camelyn would probably be better. We know she's in S1 based on the casting so she will have to be somewhere in some of that split.

I believe she's actually going to be present at Fal Dara instead.

* I *think* her shooting schedule lines up with the block 4 calendar.
* This makes it so her viewings won't signpost first time viewers that hey, Rand's the guy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hooplah posted:

I mean yeah generally, but that specific moment was awesome

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

We're going to see a dead Aielman in a cage in Perrin's arc here

:confused:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hopefully they just cut Elayne out of the story.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They just officially announced the casting for Elayne yesterday. I don't think Bayle Domon has been cast though? I can imagine cutting him from the story, aside from having one of the seals he doesn't do anything that vital to the overall story and you can easily replace the few things he does do with unnamed ship captains.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I suspect bayle domon will, unfortunately, be the most prominent character who gets cut.

Especially since his accent has kinda aged badly in the post "talk like a pirate day" era, and since "domon" "damane" and "domani" all sounds sounds the same when spoken out loud

Also filming on ships is really expensive

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I suspect bayle domon will, unfortunately, be the most prominent character who gets cut.

Especially since his accent has kinda aged badly in the post "talk like a pirate day" era, and since "domon" "damane" and "domani" all sounds sounds the same when spoken out loud

he's a pitch-perfect dutchman though and i've worked with a ton of bayle domons so you do not be cutting bayle

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

Hopefully they just cut Elayne out of the story.

What a ridiculous take

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'm sad to see him go, but I can totally understand. Hopefully he can show up as a background character in the future, but he just isn't important to the story until maybe TSR, and even then, he could be written out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

it will never be post "talk like a pirate day" era :colbert: