Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

mind the walrus posted:

Thankfully that Amazon production already looks like a truly massive financial sinkhole that even if it's a roaring success they probably won't want to expand it out.

We're deconstructing the idea of a thread needing to have a consistent topic when the sack of poo poo author refuses to provide more content.

Also lmao did the trailer for the new GRRM thing come out? I didn't even see it posted here. No one cares at all huh?

Yeah, the trailer came out. It looks fine. It might be good. It might not.

Why does it seem like people get obsessed with people posting "incorrectly" in this thread? Some people like the material despite the background problems. Only being allowed to post "lol book no coming out GRRM sucks" is some Black Baby Goku "im gay"-era poo poo. This isn't directed at Walrus in particular.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, the trailer came out. It looks fine. It might be good. It might not.

Why does it seem like people get obsessed with people posting "incorrectly" in this thread? Some people like the material despite the background problems. Only being allowed to post "lol book no coming out GRRM sucks" is some Black Baby Goku "im gay"-era poo poo. This isn't directed at Walrus in particular.

We're not allowed to make fun of people for having different opinions on the somethingawful.com forum now? That's incorrect posting, in this thread, according to you?

Do you see, possibly, maybe, a smidge of hypocrisy there?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

We're not allowed to make fun of people for having different opinions on the somethingawful.com forum now? That's incorrect posting, in this thread, according to you?

Do you see, possibly, maybe, a smidge of hypocrisy there?

No, I don't. I'm critical of that fact that the second anyone tries to post anything in this thread that's not "dead books lol" that there needs to be a run of posters who feel the need to save the thread by posting a row of "books actually dead and bad lol".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pennsylvanian posted:

No, I don't. I'm critical of that fact that the second anyone tries to post anything in this thread that's not "dead books lol" that there needs to be a run of posters who feel the need to save the thread by posting a row of "books actually dead and bad lol".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pennsylvanian posted:

No, I get it, your criticism of other people's posting is right and correct.

Other people's criticism of other people's posting is wrong.

Are you too stupid to know what hypocrisy is?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

EDIT: Fine, whatever. Dead gay books lol.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 9, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Aw, don't be that way. It's just that most everything has been discussed to death and the only thing that still seems fun is busting on gurm and his terrible hat and his horrible work ethic and his pathetic excuses and poo poo now im doing it myself

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Pennsylvanian posted:

the books never struck me as particularly gay, am i wrong though? just how gay is ASoIaF?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Aw, don't be that way. It's just that most everything has been discussed to death and the only thing that still seems fun is busting on gurm and his terrible hat and his horrible work ethic and his pathetic excuses and poo poo now im doing it myself

Yeah, I mean calling out posts is lame and I do feel dumb about it. It's just exhausting and I went too far with it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

nurmie posted:

the books never struck me as particularly gay, am i wrong though? just how gay is ASoIaF?

20% of the five kings are gay but he's the first one to die, sad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Come hang out in the wheel of time thread, there's trailers! And all the books are written!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Come hang out in the wheel of time thread, there's trailers! And all the books are written!

How many of the posts are ranting about the series being bad?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

But this thread, Bad as it is, is my forums home :smith:

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
...same. I paid my 10bux for The Bad Thread. I was born into it, I will die in it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I actually joined the forums because of how active the discussion of Dwarf Fortress was, and the emotes :black101: and :gonk: which pair so well with that game. But my interest in that game faded over the years, and while my interest in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire has also faded, my interest in posting in the thread theoretically dedicated to George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire has not.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Only if you consider those 3 books of absolute trash canon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pseudanonymous posted:

Only if you consider those 3 books of absolute trash canon.

See, plenty of hate there too

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did Robert Jordan ever post "Current Mood: Horny" with a little devil smile emoji?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Did Robert Jordan ever post "Current Mood: Horny" with a little devil smile emoji?

that's what the five paragraphs about snug bodices every chapter are all about

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jazerus posted:

that's what the five paragraphs about snug bodices every chapter are all about

Also all the spanking

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Phenotype posted:

He wasn't that efficient with words, no.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Saquan Barkley hosed up his ankle today. Winds delayed by a bunch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I JUST MIGHT, THANK YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Speaking of pants-making GBS threads, redditors are both up in arms about b-b-b-b-b-black nobles in the HBO spin-off and there's a bleachers thread set-up to watch the garbage from: https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/q5f4l9/game_of_thrones_spinoff_show_has_black_royals_in/

I'd be convinced this was some kind of viral marketing but being honest-- the only people earnestly into the Game of Thrones spin-off in 2021 being the same dudes who care way too much about race is... very plausible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I do like the idea that George is bringing that pseudo-Marxist 70s sci-fi vibe to a genre that likes to roll itself around in "good old days" feelings for awful political structures. I love nihilist 70s political books and movies from the US and USSR, and it's a shame that Reaganist nationalism pretty much killed it all off from the mainstream (here in the US, at least). Ice and Fire is kind of the closest we get to "elitist power structures all suck" messages in popular media these days.

Hannah Murray was always too good for the Gilly role. I've been so happy to see her killing every role she's had over the years.

Plenty of great fantasy authors did this before him tho. Moorcock was thumbing his nose at this poo poo in the 70s.

GRRM was hardly a trailblazer in that regard.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Speaking of pants-making GBS threads, redditors are both up in arms about b-b-b-b-b-black nobles in the HBO spin-off and there's a bleachers thread set-up to watch the garbage from: https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/q5f4l9/game_of_thrones_spinoff_show_has_black_royals_in/

I'd be convinced this was some kind of viral marketing but being honest-- the only people earnestly into the Game of Thrones spin-off in 2021 being the same dudes who care way too much about race is... very plausible.

Black nobles? Clutch my pearls! I've never seen Merlin, but I heard Guinevere was BLACK. My knee-jerk reaction was, "That's neat."

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shageletic posted:

Plenty of great fantasy authors did this before him tho. Moorcock was thumbing his nose at this poo poo in the 70s.

GRRM was hardly a trailblazer in that regard.

Yeah, I've only gotten into fantasy in recent years, despite having started to read Ice and Fire around 2003 or 2004. Moorcock, Le Guin, and Jemisin are next on my read/try list.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Woodpile posted:

Black nobles? Clutch my pearls! I've never seen Merlin, but I heard Guinevere was BLACK. My knee-jerk reaction was, "That's neat."

Tbf the ethnic appearance and family resemblance of characters is a pretty big deal in asoiaf, but it really isn't in most Arthurian retellings. I personally don't care either way, but I can see why people would.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The original GoT series also made a bunch of slave and "exotic" characters black that were non black in the original, e.g. Missandei, Sallador, Quarth in general, Unsullied in general, so the new version is certainly better than that.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

pidan posted:

The original GoT series also made a bunch of slave and "exotic" characters black that were non black in the original, e.g. Missandei, Sallador, Quarth in general, Unsullied in general, so the new version is certainly better than that.

Missandei is from the Summer Islands which is the Africa equivalent and is described as having dark skin, so that was in the books.

Also, of course Missandei was apparently ten years old in the books. Goddamn it, Gurrm...

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 13, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m surprised that fucker is still alive just look at him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Invalid Validation posted:

And that was years ago.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shoggoths are pretty durable.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Missandei is from the Summer Islands which is the Africa equivalent and is described as having dark skin, so that was in the books.

Also, of course Missandei was apparently ten years old in the books. Goddamn it, Gurrm...

Also, apparently according to Roy Dotrice she's Mr. Yunioshi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm willing to bet solid money that a huge chunk of his daily social life is some form of adoration/respect and a sense of belonging/purpose, however overripe, and has been for decades now. That kind of social reassurance can be huge to keeping the body from eating itself alive. Plus the ability to afford really comfortable shoes, mattresses, air conditioning, offload laundry/cooking/paperwork onto someone else, etc.

Even Absolute Fuckery of a diet and years of neglect can stand up pretty well to that level of insulation.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 13, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He certainly has a lot of insulation.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

He told you words are wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm willing to bet solid money that a huge chunk of his daily social life is some form of adoration/respect and a sense of belonging/purpose, however overripe, and has been for decades now. That kind of social reassurance can be huge to keeping the body from eating itself alive. Plus the ability to afford really comfortable shoes, mattresses, air conditioning, offload laundry/cooking/paperwork onto someone else, etc.

Even Absolute Fuckery of a diet and years of neglect can stand up pretty well to that level of insulation.

Old people go to doctors all the time and rich old people (at least the ones with common sense or a competent team/handler around them) probably get seen weekly if not more so by doctors who can prescribe the best of everything, so even someone like GRRM can shamble on for a while regardless of how bad off he might appear to be.