Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It took over 5 years but the founder of Zynga finally got approval to gut his historic mansion and add an addition and underground bunker
The story so far https://socketsite.com/archives/tag/2950-pacific-avenue
Old listing ($18 million) https://www.sfproperties.com/properties/2950-pacific-avenue
RIP

Current listing (($29.5 million) https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2950-Pacific-Ave-San-Francisco-CA-94115/15080894_zpid/
From what I can tell they haven't done anything yet but claim it is "shovel-ready", so feast your eyes on these renderings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Youth Decay posted:

It took over 5 years but the founder of Zynga finally got approval to gut his historic mansion and add an addition and underground bunker
Old listing ($18 million) https://www.sfproperties.com/properties/2950-pacific-avenue
RIP

Current listing (($29.5 million) https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2950-Pacific-Ave-San-Francisco-CA-94115/15080894_zpid/
From what I can tell they haven't done anything yet but claim it is "shovel-ready", so feast your eyes on these renderings

this is a crime against humanity

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Luneshot posted:

this is a crime against humanity
More, the result of and future base for crimes against humanity

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from the scooter fruity thread

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
that stack weighs like 2,500 lbs, holy poo poo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

that stack weighs like 2,500 lbs, holy poo poo

yeah a Deck isn't built to hold a houses worth of shingles on like of the boards. That deck may see close to 2000lbs if you have a bunch of ppl over but they're not going to all be standing on one joist.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2021

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Youth Decay posted:

RIP

I can't imagine having the money required to do this and building such an incredibly boring, drab outcome. If you're going to put a bunker under your house at least go all out, put in a command center, an ossuary, do the thing from Blast from the Past where there's a fake tiny house with an artificial 'outside' yard. What a waste.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I pick the hot vicegrips!

edit: I also noticed the bonus resting on metal side of dryer! Def the winning fighter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OP said that they found two more splices just like the one on the left, and now they’re rewiring everything.

:nws: This was the fourth splice

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who's reviewing the NASA documents about proper wire splicing at work today all I can say is lmao.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

YOLO

I had one of those in my house but it came with a bonus. the way the circuit was powered.... a 2 prong make a plug plugged in 20 ft away. when I opened the electrical tape (at least it was taped), it was worse than I assumed. I did not submit my rewire to code as I was like hey this poo poo's safer than what was here.. (is not code compliant due to no conduit within 8 ft)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 6, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like that game where you lead the metal rod through the electrified wire maze except with way higher stakes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Source4Leko posted:

As someone who's reviewing the NASA documents about proper wire splicing at work today all I can say is lmao.

I think it was in this thread, but there was someone who bought a house not far from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and it turned out it was owned by an engineer that worked there. For whatever God forsaken reason, that person rewired his house using NASA spec wire splices.

Probably one of the only cases I can think of where an amateur home electrician does a better job than you're likely to find working to code.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That sounds cool until your house fails to deploy its braking chutes due to a conversion error and craters into the surface of Mars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like solder.

I don’t use it on mains wiring because code forbids it and it’s a pain to rework, but if for whatever contrived reason I absolutely had to make a splice in a location that will become inaccessible, no way around it, yeah, I’d use solder. It’s already violating code and impossible to rework by nature of its inaccessibility. What’s there to lose?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid :clint: :science:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ashcans posted:

I can't imagine having the money required to do this and building such an incredibly boring, drab outcome. If you're going to put a bunker under your house at least go all out, put in a command center, an ossuary, do the thing from Blast from the Past where there's a fake tiny house with an artificial 'outside' yard. What a waste.

What gets me is why does someone buy some historic mansion just to gut it and make it into something completely different? If it were a little bungalo, sure, that's in the range where it can be economical to buy in a style you hate but a neighborhood you love and and just redo it. But if you're spending mansion bucks, why buy a fixer upper? It's like putting body kits on a lambo to make it look like a ferrari.

And I don't even particularly like the original! Sure the woodwork is cool, but the whole thing is oppressively brown.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dillbag posted:

Stolen from the scooter fruity thread

Nice, they get a new deck included in the cost of their new roof.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What gets me is why does someone buy some historic mansion just to gut it and make it into something completely different? If it were a little bungalo, sure, that's in the range where it can be economical to buy in a style you hate but a neighborhood you love and and just redo it. But if you're spending mansion bucks, why buy a fixer upper? It's like putting body kits on a lambo to make it look like a ferrari.

And I don't even particularly like the original! Sure the woodwork is cool, but the whole thing is oppressively brown.

Because it's a large house in a part of town that you want to live in, in a very desirable city, with a great view etc. It's not like there's going to be another mansion sized building that ticks all those boxes and a modern interior down the block.

In your analogy you live in Cuba and that lambo is one of three on the island that somehow got in and if you want a performance car that's what you're getting, so time to slap on a Ferrari badge.

FWIW I love the original interior and despise the new one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

OP said that they found two more splices just like the one on the left, and now they’re rewiring everything.

I like it, it's whimsical.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because it's a large house in a part of town that you want to live in, in a very desirable city, with a great view etc. It's not like there's going to be another mansion sized building that ticks all those boxes and a modern interior down the block.

In your analogy you live in Cuba and that lambo is one of three on the island that somehow got in and if you want a performance car that's what you're getting, so time to slap on a Ferrari badge.

Fair enough. I tend to think of mansions as being on big tracts of land away from anything else, floating in the abstract void that rich people tend to occupy for me, but now that I actually engage my brain being an hour outside of a major city is different from being an hour outside Eufala, Alabama.

Edit: Eufala, by the way, has a main street lined with incredibly charming antebellum houses and, iirc, the local high school had their first racially integrated prom in 2005. It's situated along a road that runs from Atlanta westward into Alabama, through a wasteland of trailer neighborhoods placed around billboards advertising barn kits, windowless prefab churches, and periodic signs that say poo poo like "Welcome to the home of Hugging Molly." My faimily used to drive that route periodically when we went to visit my dad's folks. When they died, the whole region basically fell into the sea as far as I'm concerned. I hadn't realized it but somewhere along the line I'd started thinking about it like a Southern Gothic version of Lordran.

quote:

FWIW I love the original interior and despise the new one.

There's a lot I like about the old one, it's just too much brown. Replace the flooring (or just get really big area rugs) and it'd be fine. The new version is a soulless void, and I say that as someone who actually likes a lot of the designs that people in this thread and the other one describe as soulless voids.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like it, it's whimsical.

Most of the time when I curse the previous owner I can't see them cursing back. It's art.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 6, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fair enough. I tend to think of mansions as being on big tracts of land away from anything else, floating in the abstract void that rich people tend to occupy for me, but now that I actually engage my brain being an hour outside of a major city is different from being an hour outside Eufala, Alabama.

This is not "an hour outside of a major city". It's literally in SF, and overlooks The Presidio. That is the Golden Gate Bridge you can see out the windows.

E: it's also on what would be two lots of average size for the area. The land is worth far, far, far more than the structure on it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 6, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's just it, though: It's not an hour outside a major city.

It's smack dab in the middle of SF, literally about a 2 minute walk from the edge of The Presidio / Golden Gate Park. Also about 45 minute walk from downtown if you can't stand to be in your car for 10 minutes. It's the sort of place a billionaire buys so they can walk to work in the morning.

You'd be challenged to find more expensive real estate anywhere in the US. If it was a tin shack sitting on a superfund site it would still get bought and have a multi-million dollar mansion built on it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I am not a clever man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

Someone who overheard an electrician wiring something in delta configuration.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My goon, that is clearly a Wye configuration.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I feel like it's more of buying a classic Corvette/jag e type/ or something similar and trying to make it look like a Tesla or some ultra modern looking thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Youth Decay posted:

RIP

I dig the underground stuff, but why would you not leave the cool vintage stuff vintage and cool?
And yeah, go full on underground lair with that part.

edit:

wesleywillis posted:

I feel like it's more of buying a classic Corvette/jag e type/ or something similar and trying to make it look like a Tesla or some ultra modern looking thing.
Accurate.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MRC48B posted:

My goon, that is clearly a Wye configuration.

Ya wye on earth did they do it am I right.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
From the listings that house already looks anachronistic. It's hardly some rare instance of un-bespoiled "Dutch Colonial Revival".

So the nouveau-riche tore out the ugly of-its-time wood of replaced it with ugly of-its-time Modern White & Grey.
I won't be shedding any tears.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is the old wood style in that mansion supposed to be "boatpunk" or something. it's very unique but i can't tell from those two pictures whether i like it at all

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The little nautical lamps are kinda whatever but I do love everything about the actual architecture, particularly the mushroom-shaped inglenook.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Magic Hate Ball posted:

mushroom-shaped inglenook.

:flaccid:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

~Coxy posted:

From the listings that house already looks anachronistic. It's hardly some rare instance of un-bespoiled "Dutch Colonial Revival".

So the nouveau-riche tore out the ugly of-its-time wood of replaced it with ugly of-its-time Modern White & Grey.
I won't be shedding any tears.

It's not that they're supposedly destroying something historical, it's that they've taken something interesting (or at least different) and turned it into the same bland characterless garbage as they could get anywhere else.

Rich people are loving boring

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vim Fuego posted:

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid :clint: :science:

Yes, but if it works until it goes catastrophically wrong, then it's stupid.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If it's stupid but it works, it's still pretty drat stupid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

Yes, but if it works until it goes catastrophically wrong, then it's stupid.

it's only stupid if you're still around when it goes wrong

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's smack dab in the middle of SF, literally about a 2 minute walk from the edge of The Presidio / Golden Gate Park. Also about 45 minute walk from downtown if you can't stand to be in your car for 10 minutes. It's the sort of place a billionaire buys so they can walk to work in the morning.

At first I was like "Zynga's not downtown, he's a 90 minute walk from the Zynga building" (since I work right next to it) but apparently he's now just doing VC poo poo so it doesn't matter where you live then I guess. I would have picked something with an easier commute to SFO if all I do is fly around to meet my VC bros, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

luminalflux posted:

At first I was like "Zynga's not downtown, he's a 90 minute walk from the Zynga building" (since I work right next to it) but apparently he's now just doing VC poo poo so it doesn't matter where you live then I guess. I would have picked something with an easier commute to SFO if all I do is fly around to meet my VC bros, but that's just me.

Just lol if you think he's driving or getting driven to SFO. Anybody like that is leaving on a chopper from Half Moon Bay or China Basin and probably headed to general aviation at OAK to get on their NetJet.