Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I also planted my new tank a week ago and it's got that white bacterial bloom going on, and today I noticed the beginnings of black beard algae.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Let's see that BBA? If you don't have any livestock yet just hit it with hydrogen peroxide.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

For my BBA I took the branch out of the tank, soaked a paper towel in hydrogen peroxide, and wrapped strips of that around the parts with BBA for 5 minutes. It killed it pretty much immediately.

Currently hitting the tank with 5ml per 10 gallons of flourish excel to hopefully wipe out any remnants. I can't stand the look of it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blech.

I can't take out the branch because this is a Walstad tank with a double layer substrate (soil capped with sand) and the base of the branch is buried. The only livestock so far is half a dozen ramshorn snails, so I'll try the peroxide and limiting the lights.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

One of my scarlet shiners has a brown bump under his skin and I'm not quite sure what it is. Easier to see from the other side, it's a little spherical dot in the tail.

The BBA algae seems to be hanging on still on the underside of the driftwood.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 4, 2021

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Finally finished re-scaping and getting the tank on the new stand!

http://imgur.com/gallery/7kLgX9w

Got super lucky and got the stand for $20 from Goodwill and threw a few coats of paint on. The storage is so much better than the stands that LFS sells.

Really excited for the plant order to come in, going to plant it up with coin-leaf anubias and rosette sword, amongst others.

Ignore the red strainers, they're full of melting Java Moss from the low-light temporary tank it was in.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That looks really nice.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That looks really nice.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’ll post some pictures, but we’ve got our 75 planted some more and we have brought home 3 rainbowfish and 2 corys over the last few weeks. I’ve fallen in love with the corys, they are hilarious and cute and they both have their own distinct little personalities. Cute little fish.

Also, that’s does look super nice!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Here’s a goofy question. How often do y’all just sit and watch your aquariums? This thing has brought me so much joy at a time where I need it most, it’s amazing. I sit and watch our aquarium more than I do the TV now. Lol

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Here’s a goofy question. How often do y’all just sit and watch your aquariums? This thing has brought me so much joy at a time where I need it most, it’s amazing. I sit and watch our aquarium more than I do the TV now. Lol

Mine are always right next to me and I watch them a LOT. You're not crazy in that they bring joy:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6663029/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

There's nothing better than tossing food into an "empty" tank and watching swarms of fish suddenly appear to devour it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

There's nothing better than tossing food into an "empty" tank and watching swarms of fish suddenly appear to devour it.

This is some cheesy rear end sentimental poo poo I’m about to share, but I’m in bad health, and just yesterday watching my 10 year old son so very carefully feed our fish choked me the hell up. It kinda made me realize I did something right.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

This is some cheesy rear end sentimental poo poo I’m about to share, but I’m in bad health, and just yesterday watching my 10 year old son so very carefully feed our fish choked me the hell up. It kinda made me realize I did something right.

<3

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been struggling mentally for a long time and feel fortunate that the routines I got into to keep my (too many) fish tanks running have kept me motivated even on days where I feel like I can't get anything done. It's some kind of rhythm to my life, of my own choosing and relating to stuff that I value, rather than imposed on me by others, and I need that to function. Last week I felt really down but it was time to water change my biggest tank and instead of doing the bare minimum of swapping out water I took the time to trim plants, remove dying leaves, pull out a few odd clumps of algae, top up the root tabs, and so on. I think over an hour of tranquility passed that really lifted my mood.

I also really enjoy fish appearing from nowhere to devour food - for me it is my 20 kuhlies who hide under driftwood in one tank, and in the other there are caves I set up for the platydoras that the sterbai corys moved into as well. The initial crowd of corys that pour out of the caves is cool but then the big dumb faces of the comical larger catfish pushing them out of the way to steal the food cracks me up every time. For a fish I almost never see I think they are still my favourite.

These ones are all babies and very zoomy, mine are all bigger fatter and lazier but you can see how the default setting for platydoras is "invisible".

https://youtu.be/BlYOt6buOFg

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 5, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My body and brain may be rapidly failing me but i'll be damned before I stop lugging around buckets full of water.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My tank seems to be slowing down somewhat. I used to grow more water sprite than I could handle and now I'm struggling to grow it and have hair algae issues. I'm really not sure what changed, besides everything just aging.

I dialed down the lights a bit, and did everything I could to clean out rotting debris, but I'm skeptical that'll fix it.

CO2 levels are good, and I thought lights were good too...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My tank seems to be slowing down somewhat. I used to grow more water sprite than I could handle and now I'm struggling to grow it and have hair algae issues. I'm really not sure what changed, besides everything just aging.

I dialed down the lights a bit, and did everything I could to clean out rotting debris, but I'm skeptical that'll fix it.

Temps dropping this time of year? Dunno where you're from or if you run a heater year round.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Temps dropping this time of year? Dunno where you're from or if you run a heater year round.

Maybe.... I'm in northern California and it is cooling down a bit, but I have an inline heater. I should have a thermometer in the tank, I'll pick one up

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My water sprite did something similar. It was in a 78F, low-tech tank and initially it grew like a weed. Over about a year, it started to get really leggy until, eventually, it just sort of stopped growing. Shrimp and snails took care of the rest as bits and pieces started to brown. Everything else in the tank was fine, and when I finally pulled it, the root system was massive. I can only assume I trimmed it wrong and caused it to die off, but I'm not really sure. I replaced it with some cuttings from a pogostemon stellatus and now that thing is taking over. I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of trimmings because I can't bring myself to throw them out just yet.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do you do Facebook? Is there a local aquarium or houseplant group you could offer it up in?

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

My body and brain may be rapidly failing me but i'll be damned before I stop lugging around buckets full of water.

^^^THIS

I randomly found a lady selling aquarium plants on Craigslist last April and wasn't doing very well and especially bored out of my mind with quarantine, so I figured why the hell not?

I started with a single tank and a single Betta and now it's easily the most fulfilling hobby I have, other than teaching my dogs random tricks (mostly unintentionally, like how to bark at the treat jar for snacks).

I hope y'all are finding some light at the end of the tunnel. It's a daily struggle for me too, and some days are better than others but I can honestly say it's been awesome to find some sense of community here among the fish goons.

Schwack posted:

My water sprite did something similar.

I hate water Sprite. I tried it 4 separate times in 3 separate tanks and each time it'd do really well for like 8-12 weeks and then just totally crapped out on me. I gave up with it altogether.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
If any goons have spare java fern or moss, I be happy to take some. I have finally managed to get my scuds to a safe level where the fuckers aren't devouring everything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

If any goons have spare java fern or moss, I be happy to take some. I have finally managed to get my scuds to a safe level where the fuckers aren't devouring everything.

I have so much but if I try to ship it into the states I'll probably be put on a list.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Do you do Facebook? Is there a local aquarium or houseplant group you could offer it up in?

I've offered it up on Facebook a few times, but don't get any hits on the PSO. My other plants typically move at least.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

May I ask how to propagate this Amazon sword plant?

I only just started learning about plants this last summer and I recognize this as a runner, but I have no idea what it wants.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

May I ask how to propagate this Amazon sword plant?

I only just started learning about plants this last summer and I recognize this as a runner, but I have no idea what it wants.

Hold it horizontal to the substrate using rocks between the segments. Each "node" or whatever will put down roots and turn into a tiny baby new Sword.

Edit: try not to break it, it's OK if some of them are not touching the substrate.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

Hold it horizontal to the substrate using rocks between the segments. Each "node" or whatever will put down roots and turn into a tiny baby new Sword.

Edit: try not to break it, it's OK if some of them are not touching the substrate.

Oh geez, that’s way too easy. Thank you!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Oh geez, that’s way too easy. Thank you!

You can use the same method to spread and propagate pretty much any sword or stem plant.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is embroidery thread safe to use? My moss needs to be pinned down. I have the right color, I'm just worried.

Nevermind, found my cotton thread.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 8, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

Is embroidery thread safe to use? My moss needs to be pinned down. I have the right color, I'm just worried.

I used to use cotton thread but I switched to small zip ties and just cut them off once a plant is attached. You can also use super glue just let it dry before you stuff the rock/wood/plant/whatever back in the tank.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

You can crazy glue the moss if that's easier. Seachem makes their own packaged product for this but any CA glue works.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Cool beans, that's a good idea. I may go with the flourish glue I had truckin' around. I love my hillstreams loaches, too. They're so neatly pattern and chill. They even kinda hover/flutter from space to space. My sisters said they'll die, which was a bummer because I love my little UFOs.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My pseudogastromyzon didn't die until I put them in a tank where they had to compete for food with corydoras. They did really well for months until then. I still regret not seeing that coming but once I'd put them in the deeper tank it was kind of too late, impossible to get them out again.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stoca Zola posted:

My pseudogastromyzon didn't die until I put them in a tank where they had to compete for food with corydoras. They did really well for months until then. I still regret not seeing that coming but once I'd put them in the deeper tank it was kind of too late, impossible to get them out again.

Shouldn't have been the cories though. Cories aren't chasers of the same type of food. I have heard they are voracious eaters though, so just ran out of food? Or do you mean the cories were eating up the algae wafers intended for it?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It didn't matter what food I put in that tank, someone else always got to it before the pseudogastromyzon did. I blame the corys for now because they live in the same area at the bottom of the tank and outnumbered the poor little hillstreams. But I guess the rasboras could have done it too. All the dead guys I found were extremely skinny after being plump well fed and healthy in a species only tank (so I don't suspect worms). Just one of those things that I had to learn the hard way.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I love my little hillstreams. They are happy cruising around and eatin' up some algae foods and actual algae. I make it a point to use a dropper so they can have things like blood worms now and then. They are super cute, but hard to take pictures of.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Should I do Flourish AND peroxide in my new tank? The algae amount is holding steady, but it's only a little over two weeks old and the water parameters are still wildly variable.

I also wanted to show my thrifted stand--my dad made a brace/fifth leg that I will either stain to match the wood or paint to match whatever little curtain I sew to hide the cords in the back.

And decorative gourds, because October.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Should I do Flourish AND peroxide in my new tank? The algae amount is holding steady, but it's only a little over two weeks old and the water parameters are still wildly variable.

I also wanted to show my thrifted stand--my dad made a brace/fifth leg that I will either stain to match the wood or paint to match whatever little curtain I sew to hide the cords in the back.

And decorative gourds, because October.

I'm no expert but a tank that young I would just let it find some stasis first, right now it's going through a lot of changes and I wouldn't be prioritizing the algae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks.

The snails sure are happy, though. They cruise around with their little antennae out and have laid tons of eggs. There's bladder snails that must have come from the pet store, because I only added ramshorns.