Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tater_salad posted:

I don't think gluing the shoovac to the cleaner is going to get you your desired result.
There's a spinny bit with 2 jets on it that use the pressure to spin around. It's going to leak water out of itself at all directions.

wesleywillis posted:

Don't listen to this guy, he don't know nothing:v:
Do it, post a video with the hilariousresults

It’s literally how professional tile cleaning systems work.

Eg

https://youtu.be/b5Lb61O71b4

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes I agree. Make sure to film it. I wanna do it with mine but I'm afraid the 3000psi may be too high so curious how well it works with your system!.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tater_salad posted:

Yes I agree. Make sure to film it. I wanna do it with mine but I'm afraid the 3000psi may be too high so curious how well it works with your system!.

Will do. Plan is to start on the floors and walls of my goon-level shower filth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

someone is asking me if I want this jointer for free before it gets scrapped:

My instincts say no, but I might be wrong. Is this thing worth any effort?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

Really dependent on the type of work you're doing. I mean, is it cool as hell? Yes. Would it make a fun project? Yes. So really the only question left to ask is if you will ever actually use the thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How good of condition is it in? If it isn't usable, how willing are you to take on the project of rehabilitating it? And how willing are you to have a really heavy hunk of metal taking up space during that time?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know that picture and little else. Apparently the blades still look good?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

I know that picture and little else. Apparently the blades still look good?

Hard to tell scale from that picture, but it looks like maybe a 6" delta or 4" craftsman and they are pretty good jointers. IDK how flat everything will be after you clean the rust off or how shot the motor will be after living outside (maybe there isn't even a motor? An old 1/2 hp fan motor would probably work fine) but if you have space it could be a fun project. If you've never used/set up a jointer before, getting it set up might be extra frustrating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hard to tell scale from that picture, but it looks like maybe a 6" delta or 4" craftsman and they are pretty good jointers. IDK how flat everything will be after you clean the rust off or how shot the motor will be after living outside (maybe there isn't even a motor? An old 1/2 hp fan motor would probably work fine) but if you have space it could be a fun project. If you've never used/set up a jointer before, getting it set up might be extra frustrating.

I think it's 6". I'll take the time to take a closer look, then. I think it runs off of an external motor and belt, and I actually have an extra motor around from an old bandsaw that I bought and plan to junk.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You could always use it as a planer.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm not crazy, right? This chain is installed correctly?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Thanks everyone for the table recommendations. I didn't know about the nails in it, I'll leave it in one piece for sure.

CommonShore posted:

Have you done large-scale rust removal before? To get that back in useable shape you'll need:

-angle grinder
-wire wheel(s)
-socket wrenches for disassembly
-chemical rust stripper (+gloves, goggles, applicators)
-level or straightedge
-Sharpening stones
-surface protection oil
(plus many more tools if say a pulley is frozen onto a shaft)

You'll also need a motor if the correct speed and a pulley to fit that motor that is the correct diameter. You'll need to mount it to a bench of some kind and you'll need to replace the belt.

It's completely 100% doable, but if you don't have an accompanying hobby of "machine tool restoration" then that might be a pretty large task to undertake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Wonder Weapon posted:

It’s not flipped around, if that’s what you’re asking.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

You're good!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cool little icon on the bar says YES.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok because I am having a devil of a time cutting a log.

I just got this chainsaw and this is the first time I'm using it. I bought that cool chainsaw blade sharpener everyone likes and used it. When I put the chainsaw to the log, I get wood chips, but as soon as I'm more than half an inch into the wood it's smoking. The chain gets loose quickly (less than a minute) and I have to pull the side panel off and reset the bar, chain, etc. I can't seem to get a straight-through cut at all.

Am I just terrible at using a chainsaw, is it possible this wood is binding really strongly, or is there some third option?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Was the chain new and you sharpened it immediately? You don’t need to do that. In either case, you may need to grab a file and a depth gauge.

You’ve got bar and chain oil in there, yeah?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Is that a Ryobi? I have the 12" 18v brushless and it's exceeded my expectations. Made short work of bucking some trees that my buddy and I felled. The only times I had the chain come loose were once when I didn't tension it properly and once when it was bound up by the log due to gravity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take off the cover plate, bar, and chain, and make sure there isn’t sawdust and oil sludge preventing anything from seating fully. That can be a cause of the chain coming off. Scrub the crud out with a brush if you have to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ok because I am having a devil of a time cutting a log.

I just got this chainsaw and this is the first time I'm using it. I bought that cool chainsaw blade sharpener everyone likes and used it. When I put the chainsaw to the log, I get wood chips, but as soon as I'm more than half an inch into the wood it's smoking. The chain gets loose quickly (less than a minute) and I have to pull the side panel off and reset the bar, chain, etc. I can't seem to get a straight-through cut at all.

Am I just terrible at using a chainsaw, is it possible this wood is binding really strongly, or is there some third option?

Run the saw perpendicular (point the tip of the bar) in front of a piece of cardboard. Do you see a line of oil getting slung off? If not, your saw is not oiling properly and you're destroying (or already have destroyed) the chain and bar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uncle Enzo posted:

Thanks everyone for the table recommendations. I didn't know about the nails in it, I'll leave it in one piece for sure.

Have you done large-scale rust removal before? To get that back in useable shape you'll need:

-angle grinder
-wire wheel(s)
-socket wrenches for disassembly
-chemical rust stripper (+gloves, goggles, applicators)
-level or straightedge
-Sharpening stones
-surface protection oil
(plus many more tools if say a pulley is frozen onto a shaft)

You'll also need a motor if the correct speed and a pulley to fit that motor that is the correct diameter. You'll need to mount it to a bench of some kind and you'll need to replace the belt.

It's completely 100% doable, but if you don't have an accompanying hobby of "machine tool restoration" then that might be a pretty large task to undertake.

I have lots of those things and I'm willing to get the ones that I lack. I'll go take a closer look. If the rust is surface and not pitted I'll go for it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

1. It was not a brand new saw/chain, which is why I sharpened it (bought it used). I used this thing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047A0RUC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details)
2. Ryboi 14" 40v brushless. Bought it because all the reviews were solid
3. I removed the plate, bar, and chain. Wiped out all the gunk I could. It seems sit squarely when I put it together
4. It flings oil out. I can see the splatter pattern on the log I'm cutting

If I get a chance later I'll try to get a video of me using it and you guys can tell me how my form/technique is wrong

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

1. It was not a brand new saw/chain, which is why I sharpened it (bought it used). I used this thing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047A0RUC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details)
2. Ryboi 14" 40v brushless. Bought it because all the reviews were solid
3. I removed the plate, bar, and chain. Wiped out all the gunk I could. It seems sit squarely when I put it together
4. It flings oil out. I can see the splatter pattern on the log I'm cutting

If I get a chance later I'll try to get a video of me using it and you guys can tell me how my form/technique is wrong

You might want to just get a new chain, who knows what the previous owner put it through. Then take care of it properly. Everything else seems fine and I doubt you're doing anything wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

You might want to just get a new chain, who knows what the previous owner put it through. Then take care of it properly. Everything else seems fine and I doubt you're doing anything wrong.

Agreed. That's always a good first move on diagnosing a saw issue like this once you've confirmed you have oiling, but in this case if it's making good chips and then causing issues part of the way thought I would also check the bar for wear. If the channels have been hogged out the chain can kinda just flop over and cause what you have going on here. You may even want to try a quick test of simply flipping the bar over so your cutting side is now what used to be the top (they are reversible, this is fine, in fact you should flip it every time you change the chain to keep the wear even).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 11, 2021

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Tools: Zen and the Art of Chainsaw Maintenance

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Agreed. That's always a good first move on diagnosing a saw issue like this once you've confirmed you have oiling, but in this case if it's making good chips and then causing issues part of the way thought I would also check the bar for wear. If the channels have been hogged out the chain can kinda just flop over and cause what you have going on here. You may even want to try a quick test of simply flipping the bar over so your cutting side is now what used to be the top (they are reversible, this is fine, in fact you should flip it every time you change the chain to keep the wear even).

Huh. Never thought of that. Good tip.:tipshat:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

OK, I managed to get a chance to record earlier. Here I am trying to do a fresh cut. You'll it starts smoking very quickly. I try to cut for awhile in the middle, which is boring, but the very end of it you can see that the cut has curved through the log. What the hell am I doing?

https://youtu.be/w9ESM6fOD2Y

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Looks like it's pulling to one side and binding in the cut. As mentioned above, first thing I'd check is the depth gauges (a.k.a. "rakers" but I'm a terrible pedant and this isn't a ripping chain and they aren't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZHEqNvPCk

The Pferd jig will file the depth gauges automatically but one sharpening won't fix anything if the previous owner never touched them. If they're too high the chain won't bite properly so you get sawdust and the occasional chip if you dance the bar around like you were doing.

Second thing I'd check is the bar rails. If there are any chips, worn spots or folded over edges the chain will tend to flop over and pull to one side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwQJNwckTo

Make sure to check your bar is in good shape before you put a new chain on it otherwise you're just going to trash the new chain. (Do not ask me how I know this.)

Your chain looks a little tighter than I prefer, but that conversation usually goes as well as your favourite flavour of Linux. :)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OK, I managed to get a chance to record earlier. Here I am trying to do a fresh cut. You'll it starts smoking very quickly. I try to cut for awhile in the middle, which is boring, but the very end of it you can see that the cut has curved through the log. What the hell am I doing?

Get a new chain. It's possible there is something else going on, but that just seems like a hosed up, dull chain to me and new chain is where I'd start. It's a good to have 2 chains anyway.

Is the log you're cutting old and dry, or is it pretty freshly cut? Chainsaws cut wet, green wood best and can have trouble with dry wood that has gotten harder.

In terms of technique, keep the log butted up against the saw body and use that as a lever to rotate the saw through the wood. Not only is it easier and more efficient for the saw to cut, it's much, much, much safer. Cuts made near the tip of the bar are much more dangerous. Bigger gas saws usually have some metal teeth called bucking spikes/dogs to the left of the bar you can jab in the bark and make it even easier, but even without them, keep the body of the saw next to the log. Then the chain is trying to pull itself into the log against the saw body and there is no chance of you slipping/tripping and running the saw into your leg. It's also 300% less work and your arms will thank you.

Right way to buck logs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1rxtqL-f8&t=189s

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
OP, I suggest one of these:

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
This is a stupid question but do you have bar oil in it? Seconding the rakers. The electric chainsaws usually have some short of weird safety chain that helps prevent kickback. Sometimes it can be a hassle to get the teeth to bite if the rakers have not been filed down at a similar rate. The Pferd/Stihl combination tooth and raker file has always worked well for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

New bar, new chain. Done. Throw the other ones in the trash, it's not worth figuring out which one is at fault.

Somebody ran it without oil and both are probably trashed.

Buy 2 chains while you're at it. Bars and chains are consumables and should be changed frequently.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tell me your thoughts on electric leaf blowers. I have not been a leaf blower user before but am considering.

I have either Ryobi 40v or Dewalt 20v batteries to choose from for this. Are the electric ones up to par now? Any big difference between those 2 brands / models to avoid etc?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

That Works posted:

Tell me your thoughts on electric leaf blowers. I have not been a leaf blower user before but am considering.

I have either Ryobi 40v or Dewalt 20v batteries to choose from for this. Are the electric ones up to par now? Any big difference between those 2 brands / models to avoid etc?

I have the Dewalt Flexvolt one and it's great. I can't really say for the 20v version though but having a 9AH Flexvolt battery in your arsenal isn't ever a bad thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a 40V Greenworks leaf blower (that doubles as a leaf vacuum) and it works great, so I can say that electric leaf blowers can be good, but I have no specific experience with either of those brands. I think a 40V battery of equivalent size to a 20V is going to last longer, so depending on your yard size you might want to go with the 40V option rather than a 20V option (assuming Dewalt even makes any 20V yard tools).

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i like my ego leaf blower. even works on yard debris.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Alright, I will buy a new chain and bar and report back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I have the Dewalt Flexvolt one and it's great. I can't really say for the 20v version though but having a 9AH Flexvolt battery in your arsenal isn't ever a bad thing.

I just got the bigger of the two of the 20v DeWalts and it's fine. It's like a really weak/cheap gas blower, which is absolutely perfect for blowing leaves out of the garage/off the patio and perfect for blowing water off of cars after you've washed them.

I've got a gigantic Echo backpack blower and wanted something that wasn't a chore and requires ear protection for simple jobs.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

I just got the bigger of the two of the 20v DeWalts and it's fine. It's like a really weak/cheap gas blower, which is absolutely perfect for blowing leaves out of the garage/off the patio and perfect for blowing water off of cars after you've washed them.

Yeah I have a Ryobi 18V "Whisper" and use it for exactly the same stuff. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

It looks fine to me, the depth gauge usually is in front of the cutting teeth.