Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arc Hammer posted:

Living on piss and poo poo for five months huh? Those must have been some pretty healthy slaves.

Space marines can afaik literally survive in emergency situations by eating rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

hopterque posted:

Space marines can afaik literally survive in emergency situations by eating rocks

Which is slightly insane, 500 pound monstrosities with extra organs should need MORE calories, not less.

EDIT: Exactly 50% of the way through the new Crime novel and the protagonist has been asked to turn in his gun and badge, even though he’s a good cop, damnit, he gets Results.

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 9, 2021

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Are there fans of Erebus?? Erebusters? And if so, they must be right wing extremists?

I like Erebus! In Warhawk he is so god drat sad. Giving himself a dramatic nickname he knows everybody laughs at, not even reacting to people rebuffing and mocking him because he is so used it by now.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

There's some rumors it's going to be a 40k themed total war or something similar because the fantasy one basically made both companies more money than god.

ADB is writing for this, XCom with Grey Knights but a bit more eurogamey with less RNG.

"Grey Knights are an elite chapter of Space Marines and are not in the business of making mistakes or missing their shots. The Precision Targeting system puts you in control of your tactical decisions, allowing you to plan your strategy with confidence"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611910/Warhammer_40000_Chaos_Gate__Daemonhunters/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arquinsiel posted:

He's in the bit of the UK that isn't in a poo poo situation because of the Northern Ireland Protocol, so the brexiteers up there want to revoke it so that Northern Ireland is as poo poo as the rest of the UK and they don't look stupid.

Could make for a interesting b plot in one of his works. Art, life, etc.

von Metternich posted:

Which is slightly insane, 500 pound monstrosities with extra organs should need MORE calories, not less.

There are bacteria that can extract energy from minerals, like the stuff living deep in Earth's crust, maybe the big e somehow has those in the space marine guts biome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bob the terrible posted:

I like Erebus! In Warhawk he is so god drat sad. Giving himself a dramatic nickname he knows everybody laughs at, not even reacting to people rebuffing and mocking him because he is so used it by now.

Speaking of Erebus, I'm listening to the Know No Fear audiobook (probably my first and only 30k book) and I had a good laugh when he gets his first line because the narrator makes him sound like a absolute snivelling oval office and it's great. :D

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Do we know Erebus’ ultimate fate? Is he still around in 40k?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Could make for a interesting b plot in one of his works. Art, life, etc.

There are bacteria that can extract energy from minerals, like the stuff living deep in Earth's crust, maybe the big e somehow has those in the space marine guts biome.

It's possible. I mean the Grey Knights use Big E's poop to power their psy weapons. Who knows what else he cooked up on the microscopic level.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Miguel Prado posted:

Do we know Erebus’ ultimate fate? Is he still around in 40k?

He's still kicking. He's part of the Dark Council that rules Sicarus, the Word Bearer daemon world in the Eye of Terror. The Council rules because Lorgar's been busy communing with the chaos gods for millennia now. Until the 13th Black Crusade, Erebus rarely got off Sicarus because he was too busy fighting Kor Phaeron for control of the Word Bearers in Lorgar's absence. After Abaddon blew up Cadia, Erebus went wild throughout Imperium Nihilus, sacrificing the populations of whole worlds for the glory of the chaos gods at the head of a huge Word Bearer and cultist army, and presumably is still at it during the "current day" of the Indomitus Crusade.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arc Hammer posted:

It's possible. I mean the Grey Knights use Big E's poop to power their psy weapons. Who knows what else he cooked up on the microscopic level.

Uhh I don't remember Ian Watson having written a Grey Knights codex.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Don'r know where you got the Big E's poop idea, especially since you know, he's mostly a skeleton now and doesn't physically eat or excrete. But there's a short story that covers what they do use. https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sacrifice_(Short_Story) It's psykers all the way the down. Low level crappy psykers who aren't strong enough to be useful for the Golden Throne or as a sanctioned psyker get sacrificed and their warp energy drained from them (killing them in the process) to psychically empower Grey Knight armor and bolter shells and other weapons. Then as an extra layer of awful, they douse the newly forged shells in the blood of innocent imperial citizens. So every time a Grey Knight shoots a single round, that's like a dozen dead people he's firing at the enemy. I hope he hits!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Don'r know where you got the Big E's poop idea, especially since you know, he's mostly a skeleton now and doesn't physically eat or excrete. But there's a short story that covers what they do use. https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sacrifice_(Short_Story) It's psykers all the way the down. Low level crappy psykers who aren't strong enough to be useful for the Golden Throne or as a sanctioned psyker get sacrificed and their warp energy drained from them (killing them in the process) to psychically empower Grey Knight armor and bolter shells and other weapons. Then as an extra layer of awful, they douse the newly forged shells in the blood of innocent imperial citizens. So every time a Grey Knight shoots a single round, that's like a dozen dead people he's firing at the enemy. I hope he hits!

But remember kids, psychic powers and the warp are eeeeevil!

Just think, your innocent blood after we put you through an annointed grinder could have gone to feed Khorne!

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

jng2058 posted:

He's still kicking. He's part of the Dark Council that rules Sicarus, the Word Bearer daemon world in the Eye of Terror. The Council rules because Lorgar's been busy communing with the chaos gods for millennia now. Until the 13th Black Crusade, Erebus rarely got off Sicarus because he was too busy fighting Kor Phaeron for control of the Word Bearers in Lorgar's absence. After Abaddon blew up Cadia, Erebus went wild throughout Imperium Nihilus, sacrificing the populations of whole worlds for the glory of the chaos gods at the head of a huge Word Bearer and cultist army, and presumably is still at it during the "current day" of the Indomitus Crusade.

This is depressing, IMO. I don't mind that we know which of the Primarchs will survive and so forth, but I want to see some of the lesser guys who suck get killed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm about a quarter through Ghazghkull Thraka: Prophet of the Waagh, and it's SO FUN. It captures the silly but grotesque nature of the orks perfectly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sephyr posted:

But remember kids, psychic powers and the warp are eeeeevil!

Just think, your innocent blood after we put you through an annointed grinder could have gone to feed Khorne!

When you get right down to it, the Imperium of Man would absolutely be the villains in any other universe except 40k. That they are the nominal protagonists just shows how truly hosed up 40k really is.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That's partly the point of 40k originally as satire: you've got a theocratic, fascist state. How bad does the universe actually have to be to make them actually be right about being the best way for humanity to be governed?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

It used to just be his tears but I guess that wasn't ridiculous enough.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MrNemo posted:

That's partly the point of 40k originally as satire: you've got a theocratic, fascist state. How bad does the universe actually have to be to make them actually be right about being the best way for humanity to be governed?

And "being right" still involves stopping anything that could improve things while rotting from the inside out and self-destructing

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

And "being right" still involves stopping anything that could improve things while rotting from the inside out and self-destructing

Unfortunately half of the things which look like they may improve things are actually Chaos plots.

As are half the regressive measures meant to stop them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any off-beat 40K book recommendations that use the setting in an unusual way and aren't really military sf? My ideal read would be something relatively low stakes like a mystery in a Hive world or a small scale horror story. Something that shows how regular folk live in these hosed up circumstances would be really interesting. I haven't checked out any Black Library books in the last 10yrs or so.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

How much Abnett Inquisition stuff have you read?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chas McGill posted:

Any off-beat 40K book recommendations that use the setting in an unusual way and aren't really military sf? My ideal read would be something relatively low stakes like a mystery in a Hive world or a small scale horror story. Something that shows how regular folk live in these hosed up circumstances would be really interesting. I haven't checked out any Black Library books in the last 10yrs or so.
You want Bloodlines and Rites Of Passage, in addition to what Rugikiki said.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rugikiki posted:

How much Abnett Inquisition stuff have you read?
I remember trying Xenos and not finishing it many years ago, but it's probably worth another look since it does seem pretty much what I'm after.

Arquinsiel posted:

You want Bloodlines and Rites Of Passage, in addition to what Rugikiki said.
These look cool, especially Rites of Passage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The current Abnett Inquisition reading order is:

Xenos
Malleus
Hereticus

Ravenor
Ravenor Returned
Ravenor Rogue

The Magos

Pariah
Penitent

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Chas McGill posted:

I remember trying Xenos and not finishing it many years ago, but it's probably worth another look since it does seem pretty much what I'm after.

I’ve been blowing through all of them the past month or so and just got to Pariah, there’s tons of the small scale stuff while still being extremely warhammer and it’s all extremely good!!!!!!!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rites of Passage is very very good. For somebody with those wants that hasn't read BL in ten years you are in luck. In the last few years BL has started a horror and a crime imprint.

All of the crime books are great. All set in the same continent size hive city. There are three novels and three anthologies. The anthologies are worth it too, I'm usually not a big fan of BL anthologies. There is also one audio drama that shouldn't be missed.

The horror stuff is a bit hit or miss. I haven't disliked anything but the quality varies. I can't remember much off the top of my head but if you take a look and ask I can let you know. I do know The Reverie is a really amazing fever dream of a book so I would strongly suggest that one. All of that authors books are set in the same area and related to each other (kind of like Stephen King's books and the Dark Tower) but any of them can be ready standalone without having read the others.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wiegieman posted:

The current Abnett Inquisition reading order is:

Xenos
Malleus
Hereticus

Ravenor
Ravenor Returned
Ravenor Rogue

The Magos

Pariah
Penitent

This is some of like the best pulp sci fi ever they own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m trying to slog through the Solar War . It’s so boring and jumps around way too much

Should I just skip to Saturnine and the Warhawk?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

Unfortunately half of the things which look like they may improve things are actually Chaos plots.

As are half the regressive measures meant to stop them.

And nearly all of them are directly the fault of the imperium's own self-destructive policies and habit of chronically creating their own worst possible enemies

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I’m trying to slog through the Solar War . It’s so boring and jumps around way too much

I liked Solar War, but I hate to tell you that the jumping around a bunch thing is every SoT book. I personally don't think you should skip any of them, but if you are going to I would read Lost and The Damned as it really sets the stage for the ground war/rest of the siege and skip First Wall. You can skip Mortis too, but I would suggest you just skip every Titan section, but read the rest.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
For anyone who’s finished Grim Repast:

Where does drask get the bullets in the last fight. They make a big deal of him only having one shot left and then he takes five.

FIGURED IT OUT HE GOT PHEMUS’ GUN IM VERY SMART

Also the secret to the mystery of what’s-her-face is just “ she was in stasis and now she’s had a bunch of the same juvenat treatments every other noble gets?” That’s not that interesting, imo!

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 11, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

dont skip lost and the damned which owns, or first wall, which is rad as hell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I found long (really long) spoilers for the SOT on Reddit and just skipped to Saturnine. Im already happier. Abnett is such a treat even if it isnt his best context.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Saturnine is a 4/6 and Warhawk is a strong 4/6, maybe a weak 5/6. The rest you can read summaries of on the net, I still can’t believe they gave Guy Haley two of them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Saturnine is a 4/6 and Warhawk is a strong 4/6, maybe a weak 5/6. The rest you can read summaries of on the net, I still can’t believe they gave Guy Haley two of them.

He only got one?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

He only got one?

*John French

My bad

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

*John French

My bad

I'd rather he got two than Guy Haley though lol

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the John French Fabius Bile series any good? I see it quoted by Reddit fairly often, but I’ve been bitten by their references (and French’s books) before haha.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the John French Fabius Bile series any good? I see it quoted by Reddit fairly often, but I’ve been bitten by their references (and French’s books) before haha.

Fabius Bile is Josh Reynolds not French. It is well liked. Worth a read IMO.

John French's inquisitor series The Horusian Wars is actually very good and probably his best work. I wouldn't skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

Fabius Bile is Josh Reynolds not French. It is well liked. Worth a read IMO.

John French's inquisitor series The Horusian Wars is actually very good and probably his best work. I wouldn't skip it.

Thank you for the correction, I appreciate it. I’ll look into the Horusian series as well, I’m not familiar with that one!