Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
if Illianers don't sound ridiculous I'll be sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's a lot of goofy poo poo in WoT and I really hope that they can find a way to balance keeping that in the mix with the more dramatic stuff, it's a serious part of the charm. Illianer accents, Taraboner mustaches, Cairhienin politics going off like a firework because of one dumb ginger. Thom's knife summoning skills. Nynaeve's blatant, endearing hypocrisy. There's a lot of rough edges that need to be sanded off, but I hope they keep a lot of the quirks without making it just another grim, serious fantasy tale.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CainsDescendant posted:

There's a lot of goofy poo poo in WoT and I really hope that they can find a way to balance keeping that in the mix with the more dramatic stuff, it's a serious part of the charm. Illianer accents, Taraboner mustaches, Cairhienin politics going off like a firework because of one dumb ginger. Thom's knife summoning skills. Nynaeve's blatant, endearing hypocrisy. There's a lot of rough edges that need to be sanded off, but I hope they keep a lot of the quirks without making it just another grim, serious fantasy tale.

That's the trick, ain't it? On one hand if you leave in too much of the goofy, no one takes you seriously, but if you file off too much, you end up with generic fantasy. We'll have to see if they can walk the tightrope.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hope they manage to convey the Maidens' weird relationship with Rand in a good way, it's a fun dynamic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pleads posted:

I hope they manage to convey the Maidens' weird relationship with Rand in a good way, it's a fun dynamic.

Actually, I do wonder how much of Rand's (and to a lesser degree Mat's and Perrin's) whole "I will not kill a woman, I will not let a woman go into danger" Two Rivers attitude will show up in the show?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's fairly pivotal to Rand's breaking, so I'd assume it'd stay in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is imho one of the gender politics issues that aged the least poorly. Rand's unwillingness to treat women as combatants backfires several times, and gets called out in-universe as stupid. The Maidens have a consistent arc where they will not let Rand invalidate their choices to be warriors, leading big confrontations with him at least two times.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean yeah generally, but that specific moment was awesome

I enjoyed Wheel Takes' description:

Loial, to Rand: "You mean that time you mumbled to yourself for twenty minutes and then shouted DAY! at the top of your lungs?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ninjoatse.cx posted:

it will never be post "talk like a pirate day" era :colbert:

2006 called, it wants its jokes back

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

2006 called, it wants its jokes back

This series is still producing material, so it is 2006.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

jng2058 posted:

Actually, I do wonder how much of Rand's (and to a lesser degree Mat's and Perrin's) whole "I will not kill a woman, I will not let a woman go into danger" Two Rivers attitude will show up in the show?

As long as it's just Rand's thing, not Mat or Perrin's, and they manage to convey how every other line he draws in regards to how he treats people gets crossed then I think it'll be a good bit of business. Particularly with (I assume) the full body ghost of Lews Therin roaming around in the background of scenes wailing about how he killed Ilyena it'll make for a clear character flaw and not just "boys don't hit girls".

Also when did the thread title change, that's hilarious

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bayle domon could find northharbour

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pleads posted:

Old ladies treating him like a big brother while women even younger than him treat him like an unruly son :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Torrannor posted:

This is imho one of the gender politics issues that aged the least poorly. Rand's unwillingness to treat women as combatants backfires several times, and gets called out in-universe as stupid. The Maidens have a consistent arc where they will not let Rand invalidate their choices to be warriors, leading big confrontations with him at least two times.

For that matter, this exchange is as old as the hills by this point:

:byodame: "I'm going with you."
:byodood: "No! It's too dangerous."
:byodame: "gently caress that"

But it still happens over and over and over

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rand: “I don’t kill women”

Mat: “I don’t like killing women”

Perrin: “I don’t like killing, woman!”

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

I think that's why they'll keep it in. Rand isn't perfect, and like someone said it bites him in the rear end several times. At least some of his problems are caused by his own actions so showing how it's bad would be a good thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

For that matter, this exchange is as old as the hills by this point:

:byodame: "I'm going with you."
:byodood: "No! It's too dangerous."
:byodame: "gently caress that"

But it still happens over and over and over

If I had to pick one trope to never see in media again, it might be this one. It's a cheese grater on my brain every single time it appears and I hate it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like they'll most likely drop it for mat and perrin but keep something around for rand, if only because it plays into the angle of lews therin moaning and weeping in his head. how exactly they manifest it is another question entirely.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

For Rand, not killing women isn't (just) some notion that men don't hit women/women aren't physically dangerous like it is with Matt.

For Rand, hurting women sets off LTT and his own magical insanity. He eventually gets over it when those things stop affecting him so much and life beats the above out of him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rand killing women is a huge part of his character arc, you couldn't really do TGS without it

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

In other news, the Radiant Reads YouTube channel's been reading WoT at a pretty rapid clip, and she does predictions videos as she goes. The most recent of which, wherein she's just finished A Crown of Swords was released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB0DMwiygZE

It's fun going along and seeing where she's right and wrong, like a very abbreviated let's read kind of thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlbrightWrites/status/1447367114822602755

Ah ha! Full lyrics AND a translation for Al'Naito! Finally!

Definitely about Siaun, and I'm really starting to think it may actually be diegetic! Cool!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/SeieraSedai/status/1447915317745889289

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
All attend, she comes!
Look out boy, she'll chew you up

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This tweet could literally be in a different language. Cool for her appreciating whatever it is she thinks it is, but it ain't gonna get anymore amazon views

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Verins first appearance is her nonchalantly letting Moraine and Siuan know that she’s aware one of the three boys can channel and is likely the Dragon Reborn. What a badass.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barreft posted:

This tweet could literally be in a different language. Cool for her appreciating whatever it is she thinks it is, but it ain't gonna get anymore amazon views

Oh no, somebody appreciated something for being thoughtful and cool.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

How are u posted:

Oh no, somebody appreciated something for being thoughtful and cool.

I said it was cool, relax and go back to trolling D&D.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barreft posted:

I said it was cool, relax and go back to trolling D&D.

Your words and reaction seem very dismissive of somebody who is merely appreciating some interesting details. What do you mean by "This tweet could literally be in a different language." ?

What do Amazon views have to do with the musical components of that song?

If you truly do think "it's cool" and are just extremely bad at communicating your genuine enjoyment of shared background and knowledge, then that's good :)

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I thought it sounded gamelan somehow

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jng2058 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbrightWrites/status/1447367114822602755

Ah ha! Full lyrics AND a translation for Al'Naito! Finally!

Definitely about Siaun, and I'm really starting to think it may actually be diegetic! Cool!

This is gonna age horribly when the glorious river daughter is no longer Amyrlin. I wonder if this will be used as Siuan's personal theme after the coup?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brolander posted:

All attend, she comes!
Look out boy, she'll chew you up

All attend, she comes!
She's an Amyrlin Seater

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

This is gonna age horribly when the glorious river daughter is no longer Amyrlin. I wonder if this will be used as Siuan's personal theme after the coup?

Theyre absolutely gonna murk her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Theyre absolutely gonna murk her.

What, kill off the black leader lady with a working class background and simply replace her with a (presumably) white rich girl?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

This is gonna age horribly when the glorious river daughter is no longer Amyrlin. I wonder if this will d be used as Siuan's personal theme after the coup?

Siuan Sanche was a fisherman's daughter on the Sea of Storms.

Tear and Tar Valon share the river Erinin.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Torrannor posted:

What, kill off the black leader lady with a working class background and simply replace her with a (presumably) white rich girl?

Egwene was never really rich. Eladia it's literally part of her fatal flaw so it works for the narrative.

I'd be surprised if they straight up offed Suian given her being a key piece of Nyn healing stilling.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Siuan Sanche was a fisherman's daughter on the Sea of Storms.

Tear and Tar Valon share the river Erinin.

I don't understand your post. I wrote that the song in-universe will age horribly when the glorious river daughter (Siuan) will cease to be the Amyrlin due to Elaida couping her. What are you trying to say?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Egwene was never really rich. Eladia it's literally part of her fatal flaw so it works for the narrative.

I'd be surprised if they straight up offed Suian given her being a key piece of Nyn healing stilling.

It's Elaida who's Siuan's immediate successor, and she's the daughter of a minor noble house. That said, Egwene was the only child of the richest and politically most exalted man in Emond's Field. Her father owned the only inn, and was remarked upon being rich enough to buy several books. And he was the mayor. That's not comparable to being a noble of course, but it's also not quite the same as Siuan's fisherman (fisherwoman?) background.

And yeah, I simply can't see them cutting Siuan's arc like that. There are tons and tons of Aes Sedai to cut, but Sian's fall, her later machinations and her healing by Nynaeve are pretty important imho. And if they don't cut the whole Aes Sedai politics issue with the Salidar group entirely, then she's kinda needed for Egwene to have a trusted aide whom she can explain her plots to (and thus tell the audience her inner thoughts).

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 13, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

some sort of lame puzzle ARG thing going on on twitter/IG, only thing of interest imo is that the official account says the "great hunt" has been declared...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ooooooook, how do you have an ARG for a story that’s been finished for more than a decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand your post. I wrote that the song in-universe will age horribly when the glorious river daughter (Siuan) will cease to be the Amyrlin due to Elaida couping her. What are you trying to say?

I'm saying that Siuan is about as much a glorious river daughter as any other Amyrlin.