Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

has anybody tried growing big succulents (cacti and euphorbias) in textile grow bags?

Our growbags with vegetables got a bunch of mushrooms growing through them and they started breaking apart after 2 years. Why not just get plastic pots if you want sturdy, cheap, light ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pokie posted:

Our growbags with vegetables got a bunch of mushrooms growing through them and they started breaking apart after 2 years. Why not just get plastic pots if you want sturdy, cheap, light ones?

because plastic is garbage for keeping soil aerated and it’s difficult to find large enough + shallow enough pots in the sizes that I want for a decent budget.

I could relatively easily get a gajillion 12”+ plastic pots but my succulents really seem to prefer being in terra cotta and all the cheap 12”+ pots I find (I have a lot of plants) are too deep for comfort, IMO.

I guess my next question is—what about rigid net pots?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I could relatively easily get a gajillion 12”+ plastic pots but my succulents really seem to prefer being in terra cotta and all the cheap 12”+ pots I find (I have a lot of plants) are too deep for comfort, IMO.

Gritty mix IMO (surprise surprise). It lets you have comfortable moisture levels without needing to go super shallow even with a pot that doesn't breathe as well as terra cotta. Home depot has large ceramics that are almost implausibly inexpensive relative to anywhere else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Gritty mix IMO, lets you have comfortable moisture levels without needing to go super shallow even with a pot that doesn't breathe as well as terra cotta. Home depot has large ceramics that are almost implausibly inexpensive relative to anywhere else.

yeah but I don’t want like 20 new giant ceramic pots in my house. Moving pots like that for watering sucks. Bringing them in/out, moving them when they’re outside for light management/moisture/growth/etc reasons sucks. Leaving this apartment in 1-3 years with over 100 plants and 20 of those suckers would suuuuck.

This is as much/more about my own personal comfort as it is about the plants

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but I don’t want like 20 new giant ceramic pots in my house. Moving pots like that for watering sucks. Bringing them in/out, moving them when they’re outside for light management/moisture/growth/etc reasons sucks. Leaving this apartment in 1-3 years with over 100 plants and 20 of those suckers would suuuuck.

This is as much/more about my own personal comfort as it is about the plants

Yeah, my mother has a lot of houseplants she takes in and out (she likes growing citrus in new england for some reason so a bunch of them are in 20" pots and poo poo like that) and the only real solution she's found is to use plastic pots and those little stands that have wheels on them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
hybridization is a motherfucker, four (out of eight) of my phalaenopsis orchids are throwing out their third leaves of the year, including the two biggest plants. I have them all on a bench in a windowsill and they show zero sign of slowing down

I hope they’ll be able to flower in winter

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

because plastic is garbage for keeping soil aerated and it’s difficult to find large enough + shallow enough pots in the sizes that I want for a decent budget.

I guess my next question is—what about rigid net pots?

I don't use terracotta at all - everything is in glazed ceramic, which shares plastic's properties re: water retention. They are perfectly fine with good substrate, like Wallet mentioned. I would look online for the right size plastic pots. There are definitely big ones out there. You could try your growbag plan if you find plastic this repellant, but just be prepared to replace them more often than other pots.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pokie posted:

I don't use terracotta at all - everything is in glazed ceramic, which shares plastic's properties re: water retention. They are perfectly fine with good substrate, like Wallet mentioned. I would look online for the right size plastic pots. There are definitely big ones out there. You could try your growbag plan if you find plastic this repellant, but just be prepared to replace them more often than other pots.

I anticipate having to repot many of these plants every 2-3 years anyway. Many have already outgrown the large pots they were put in just last year

I had a lot of moisture management issues with several of my succulents in plastic this summer, and lost a few including my grafted cacti as a result.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 13, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Ok Comboomer posted:

hybridization is a motherfucker, four (out of eight) of my phalaenopsis orchids are throwing out their third leaves of the year, including the two biggest plants. I have them all on a bench in a windowsill and they show zero sign of slowing down

I hope they’ll be able to flower in winter

My orchid decided to flower normally last winter, grow a new leaf in March, then reflower in May. That spike finally dried up in September, and now it's growing another leaf.

:iiam:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I anticipate having to repot many of these plants every 2-3 years anyway. Many have already outgrown the large pots they were put in just last year

I had a lot of moisture management issues with several of my succulents in plastic this summer, and lost a few including my grafted cacti as a result.

In this case, go for it and try some growbags. You can do some trailblazing and report back.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Hutla posted:

My orchid decided to flower normally last winter, grow a new leaf in March, then reflower in May. That spike finally dried up in September, and now it's growing another leaf.

:iiam:

What do you people do for your orchids to get them to flower????? The woes of only a north-facing window or a brutal east patio with sub-40 temps in the winter... I froze half the bulbs off my Oncidium before I realized what was happening ;(

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I live in Chicago and have them next to a poorly sealed west facing window. I thought that orchids get triggered to bloom with a cold period?

It usually gets pretty chilly by the window before the heat mandate goes into effect so I think that was enough for my $6 Aldi moth orchid. It got really warm in my apartment in March(building heat plus False Spring) for a couple weeks last year, so the landlord shut the heat off early and then we returned to Third Winter and it was cold inside for most of April. Maybe that did it? It just grew a bunch of roots and leaves the summer before that.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Hello. A friend of mine has asked me to look after some of their houseplants for a while. One of them is a sweet potato vine, planted in quite a small pot (it's probably about 2 litres). I thought sweet potatoes were large plants that died after you harvested the tubers, but my friend swears you can just treat them like normal house plants and leave any tubers they produce in the pot. Is that true?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yoruichi posted:

Hello. A friend of mine has asked me to look after some of their houseplants for a while. One of them is a sweet potato vine, planted in quite a small pot (it's probably about 2 litres). I thought sweet potatoes were large plants that died after you harvested the tubers, but my friend swears you can just treat them like normal house plants and leave any tubers they produce in the pot. Is that true?

Yep! There’s plenty of ornamental potatoes/SPs/carrots/etc that are kept more for the aesthetic value of the bush/vine than the food value of the tubers.

IIRC the varietals used for food production are bred to overproduce root mass

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Thanks! Any tips for looking after it? Does it want a bigger pot or is a small pot the right idea to stop it producing heaps of tubers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I got some new Euphorbia Horrida, among other things

You all remember the OG, looking good as ever on the back patio (probably gonna bring them inside tomorrow). Needs a repotting ASAP

Euphorbia horrida

Euphorbia horrida “Ice Storm”

Euphorbia horrida major “Nova”

Euphorbia anoplia

Mammillaria celsiana (a cactus is not a euphorbia)

Euphorbia enterophora (the red fuzzy looking stuff is supposed to be normal, and not rust fungus, but I am being cautious)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 16, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice choices!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Are these spurges? I’m 90% certain based on the flowers(?) at the top but I’m not certain. Would love to add a phenotypically different euphorbia from my usual, and it’s “cup of coffee” cheap

pokie posted:

Nice choices!

Thanks! When it rains it pours I guess :toot:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are these spurges? I’m 90% certain based on the flowers(?) at the top but I’m not certain. Would love to add a phenotypically different euphorbia from my usual, and it’s “cup of coffee” cheap

Thanks! When it rains it pours I guess :toot:

Those ain't flowers, those are pups. See the roots coming off some of them. Can't remember what that plant is but it might be a type of Kalanchoe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Which reminds me of the rude awakening I received upon learning it’s pronounced “cal-an-coe-EE” and not “cah-lantch-oh.”

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That is actually a matter of hot debate among succulent nerds. Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a correct pronunciation of botanical Latin, but that's no reason not to argue about it

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mother of Millions, or Kalanchoe Delagoensis

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Kenning posted:

That is actually a matter of hot debate among succulent nerds. Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a correct pronunciation of botanical Latin, but that's no reason not to argue about it

Yeah if you ask three biologists how to pronounce a latin name you're gonna get three different answers. It doesn't matter unless you can't even understand the word (which does happen pretty often).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The exception being Pinus. There's only one correct pronunciation of that name, and we all know what it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Church had the right idea in standardizing Latin pronunciation, even if that pronunciation is anachronistic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pinus contorta :ohdear:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's everyone's favorite Pinus? Pinus palustris for me. Big, tall, straight, and looks like a Dr. Seuss tree when young.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's everyone's favorite Pinus? Pinus palustris for me. Big, tall, straight, and looks like a Dr. Seuss tree when young.

I have some P. mugos (just gave one a good bonsai thinning earlier today) of various shapes and sizes and I posted a young P. thunbergii I snagged for $20 last week in the bonsai thread the other day

I could chop it, but the mugos are already short and squat so I’m gonna attempt to bunjin the sucker over the next year or two and take advantage of its height

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sciadopitys verticillata is my favorite Pinus.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
OoO, pine chat! I have lots of thoughts about pines.

Tall tree in a parklands/forest edge setting? P. sylvestris is the one for me (Scots Pine). The rich rusty colored bark that older specimens get up near the crown is a wonderful contrast to the deeper green needles and other adjacent canopy foliage.

Ornamental selection for a smaller space? P. densiflora (Japanese Red) has beautiful red-orange exfoliating bark, multi stemmed habit, and the cutest little cones you will see.

If you want a Dr. Seuss tree, P. wallichiana (Himalayan) is one for you. Very long, pendulous needles and an overall weepy shape to the branch structure give something quite unique.

P. flexilis is definitely an interesting species too, since the juvenile branches are so Limber that you can loop them back on themselves and actually tie half a granny knit without snapping them. Blue-green needles and light grey bark make for an interesting color combo as well.

Wallet posted:

Sciadopitys verticillata is my favorite Pinus.

Definitely a neat tree, but don't go moving the goalposts. Next you'll be telling me that Douglas Fir is your favorite hemlock.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 19, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

My favorite pinus is trichocereus bridgesii monstrose
Here's mine:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I was thinking of getting grubgone (btg) for a grub problem. Does anyone know if it is safe to apply near a well?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I was thinking of getting grubgone (btg) for a grub problem. Does anyone know if it is safe to apply near a well?

The Btg is a bacteria, and it's safe for human contact, water supplies, and pollinators/bees. Apply soon or before all the grubs disappear deeper for the winter months.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

pokie posted:

My favorite pinus is trichocereus bridgesii monstrose
Here's mine:

lmao nice 😎

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Jhet posted:

The Btg is a bacteria, and it's safe for human contact, water supplies, and pollinators/bees. Apply soon or before all the grubs disappear deeper for the winter months.

Thank you! :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you guys, you guys

dragonfruit plants

dragonfruit are epiphytes and they grow on trellises

they’re a cactus that grows on a trellis and I want one

Edit: the Epic Gardening dude has a whole yard full of dragonfruit, how did I not know that these delightful plants could be container grown as such?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 23, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Clearly you’re not epic enough to have done it yet. Time to level up (take pictures).

Super cool and I’d be interested myself except I have a half dozen other garden projects ahead of that sort of thing to do first.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
They're adorable as seedlings and very easy to grow from a grocery store fruit. Give it a try!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I put a fiddle leaf fig in my apartment vestibule last night because I had a plant trade coming by and I've been sniffly and gross. It was there like half an hour and by the time my trade arrived someone had absconded with it. Who just steals a tree?? We have places in our building we place free stuff and that is not one of them. I felt terrible when she arrived with stuff for me and it was gone so I ended up running down a smaller ficus altissima and starting more stuff for her this morning. I put a drawing of it on our bulletin board and noted a reward, so I'm hoping it comes back to me so I can still give it to her. I thought my neighbours were better than that but I guess that's on me. Disappointing. I'm happy to share plants but this is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

subpar anachronism posted:

I put a fiddle leaf fig in my apartment vestibule last night because I had a plant trade coming by and I've been sniffly and gross. It was there like half an hour and by the time my trade arrived someone had absconded with it. Who just steals a tree?? We have places in our building we place free stuff and that is not one of them. I felt terrible when she arrived with stuff for me and it was gone so I ended up running down a smaller ficus altissima and starting more stuff for her this morning. I put a drawing of it on our bulletin board and noted a reward, so I'm hoping it comes back to me so I can still give it to her. I thought my neighbours were better than that but I guess that's on me. Disappointing. I'm happy to share plants but this is a bummer.
I feel like people would probably be more prone to steal a fiddleleaf fig than a different less well-known species because it's one of those 5-6 iconic houseplants that everyone sees and wants as their aesthetic if they don't know about plants. And people don't appreciate how long it takes to grow a great-looking specimen! Sorry one of your neighbors is a dick.