Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

freebooter posted:

I read Dune in my early 20s and thought it was extremely loving dumb and something that obviously just hit a sweet spot in enough counter-cultural back-to-nature 1960s boomers' minds to become a classic, but I am still very excited to see the film because he's a great director and this is one of those stories where style over substance will be a compliment not an insult. Kind of hoping that Australia's first proper "this is never going away now" COVID wave has subsided by the time it comes out, I've already resigned myself to watching the Green Knight on a TV screen.

Out of curiosity: how many people here first encountered Dune not through the novel but through the 1990s RTS game on PC?

Me. It was great, I beat the whole thing by chain building turrets from my base into the enemy's. It was so much fun it led me into command and conquer and warcraft from there. I read the book a couple years later but didn't appreciate it until I bought a fancy edition last year, after a friend bought two fun dune board games and broke them out a few times.

Looking forward to the new movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, has your friend read Lord of Light

Oh yeah, it's definitely on the list. I'm fairly sure she'd like it, and probably the pseudo-sequel with Egyptian gods, but I haven't read that one myself so I'm not positive.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Majipoor books, by Robert Silverberg.

Well these are up my alley if nothing else! I think these are right along the lines of what she's looking for, thank you!

Selachian posted:

C. J. Cherryh's Morgaine books?

When I think "sword and planet," I usually think of stuff like ERB's Barsoom or Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure, which are notably short of wizards.

Planet of Adventure is on my list just because I absolutely loved the Dying Earth books, but yeah I'm not sure they're what she's looking for. I'll look into the Morgaine books, I'm not familiar with them at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh yeah, it's definitely on the list. I'm fairly sure she'd like it, and probably the pseudo-sequel with Egyptian gods, but I haven't read that one myself so I'm not positive.

The other one of Zelazny's I genuinely love is "Isle of the Dead." Far future, earthling learns psychic powers from an alien; alien and Earthling both believe the religious structure to the training is just a necessary psychic training tool and not actual invocation of dieties; whoops maybe that's not quite accurate

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good science fantasy or sword & planet novels? My partner wants some stuff that scratches that "wizards in space" kind of itch. I actually don't know that I've read much that fits the bill. I think she'll like Ninefox Gambit, but I could use some stuff that's closer to, say, Phantasy Star in terms of style and tone.

There's Morin's Galaxy Outlaws, which while I'm not sure are really good, they're at least listenable, or I found them so. Rather a "Firefly with wizards" kind of a deal.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Galaxy-Outlaws-The-Complete-Black-Ocean-Mobius-Missions-1-165-Audiobook/B079YYJK47

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 13, 2021

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

MockingQuantum posted:

I've read Lord of Light and this sounds interesting. Can anyone recommend?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I finally looked it up and it's called Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

MockingQuantum posted:

God Emperor is truly weird, and I could see it being a real roadblock to a lot of fans of the first few books, but it does an interesting job of picking apart the legend of Paul Atreides.

Since I seriously doubt any attempt at another Dune series will ever make it to God Emperor, I’d love to see one of the wilder directors attempt a standalone movie of God Emperor. Jodorowsky probably would have done a much better job of that one than Dune because it better fit his kind of weird

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
It's brilliant and also pretty experimental with chapters written in wildly different styles. It's great but weird. If Lord of Light is sci fi dressed as fantasy, Creatures of Light and Darkness is fantasy dressed a bit like sci fi.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

Since I seriously doubt any attempt at another Dune series will ever make it to God Emperor, I’d love to see one of the wilder directors attempt a standalone movie of God Emperor. Jodorowsky probably would have done a much better job of that one than Dune because it better fit his kind of weird

I'd love to see God Emperor made into a movie by someone like Panos Cosmatos. It'd be way over-the-top weird but probably in an interesting way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

thotsky posted:

I enjoyed the new Dune movie, but I love the David Lynch one too so maybe I am not the best judge. Book is pretty good too.

Wait, how did you see it already? It isn't out until the 22nd?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

D-Pad posted:

It’s out in Other Country.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

D-Pad posted:

I saw it a week ago; in Norway. Had already been out for a while by then I think.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
World of Howl Collection: Howl's Moving Castle, House of Many Ways, Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones - $5.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KACIMUS/

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

Eon by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU5RC/

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good science fantasy or sword & planet novels? My partner wants some stuff that scratches that "wizards in space" kind of itch. I actually don't know that I've read much that fits the bill. I think she'll like Ninefox Gambit, but I could use some stuff that's closer to, say, Phantasy Star in terms of style and tone.

I'll throw in a recommendation for The Ordinary by Jim Grimsley. It's about a technologically advanced culture and a magic-based culture getting linked by a portal and slowly sliding towards war . There's technically a book that comes before it but it reads more as pure fantasy and isn't really necessary to enjoy The Ordinary.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I picked up the first Commonweal book after the talk about it in the thread. I quite liked the first one. Had a real Black Company vibe to it, the whole 'scrappy undersized company suddenly paired with legendary ancient terrors".

The second is like, uh, lovely wizard homeschooling? I couldn't put the first one down but I'm sort of bouncing off of the second.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

every sky a grave by jay posey.

has the language/logic 'magic' of ninefox on a planetary scale, used by an organisation who maintain orthodoxy on all inhabited planets.

i never see him recommended here but like his mil-scifi too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Khizan posted:

I picked up the first Commonweal book after the talk about it in the thread. I quite liked the first one. Had a real Black Company vibe to it, the whole 'scrappy undersized company suddenly paired with legendary ancient terrors".

The second is like, uh, lovely wizard homeschooling? I couldn't put the first one down but I'm sort of bouncing off of the second.

I loved the black company so I'm gonna start the first Commonweal book then

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I loved the black company so I'm gonna start the first Commonweal book then

Same. Congrats to the Graydon alts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Wheel of Time book 2 done. I was strongly considering switching off the series but the ending finally got interesting again so I am cautiously wading in to book 3. Odds I am going to even get close to finishing this series are dropping rapidly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aardvark! posted:

Wheel of Time book 2 done. I was strongly considering switching off the series but the ending finally got interesting again so I am cautiously wading in to book 3. Odds I am going to even get close to finishing this series are dropping rapidly

What don't you like about and what's holding your interest? Just curious.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

I'm impressed, I made it somewhere around a third to a half through the first book before dropping it, maybe a month ago now. It's definitely the kind of poo poo I would have blown through very rapidly as a teenager and loved every minute of it. And it's actually not terrible, in terms of general quality of the writing. Good enough for a doorstopper fantasy, at least. I mostly got tired of extensive sections where very little was happening, or being able to see the next plot point miles off and knowing the book would take forever to get there. I have no idea if the books ever really break away from standard Tolkien-mimicry, let's-follow-the-destined-child-and-his-friends plots but I'm not sure I'm interested enough in any of the characters to find out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Khizan posted:

Second definitely has a different vibe. I enjoyed it but it is different; there will be Serious Magic done in the back half though so I recommend hanging on. The third is similar to the second but after that things are closer to the first (the most recent book is very stylistically similar to the first).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

interesting, on my recent listen #2 had a couple of hugely memorable moments for me - specifically the portal stone stuff and nynaeve's testing in the white tower. Felt like a big theme of the book was parallel lives / roads not taken. definitely felt much stronger than the first book imo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What don't you like about and what's holding your interest? Just curious.

There are genuinely fun bits of epic fantasy sprinkled throughout that I really like. The first one felt like it had more of them, like the Green Man.. the second book just felt like it had less of that, I guess? I don't mind the lengthy prose or backstories of random farm folk, that stuff's all charming.

It felt like the moments of wonder were kind of further between from the first one, and given that this was book 2 of a massive series I've been told over and over goes on forever + only goes downhill. The ending to the second book had some great stuff, and I do still like the characters and the writing, hence buying book 3. In a grand sense I feel like I'm signing myself up for a lot of disappointment at big picture things and wheels spinning.

Rand being publicly outed as the Dragon was interesting enough a change of pace to make me want to see where things go in book 3, which I can only presume is The One In Which Rand Fights The Whitecloaks based on the ending of book 2

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

buffalo all day posted:

interesting, on my recent listen #2 had a couple of hugely memorable moments for me - specifically the portal stone stuff and nynaeve's testing in the white tower. Felt like a big theme of the book was parallel lives / roads not taken. definitely felt much stronger than the first book imo

I did really enjoy Nynaeve's testing, especially the grim view of Emond's Field, which is one of those things pushing me on to book #3. The thing I didn't like about the portal stones was their inital use with Lanfear and Rand. I thought she was heavily telegraphed as being evil and then it also didn't really matter in the book maybe rubbed me the wrong way? And also they were basically just the same as the Ways at first which felt cheap. Wasn't a fan of any of the stuff with her.

The lost time part with the portal stones later on was cool though. And I was not expecting them, particularly it being Mat, to blow the horn at this point in the series, so that stuff was cool too.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

thanks for posting your taeks itt, its cool to see someone experiencing it for the first time. will be interested to hear what you think of book 3, esp. mat

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Khizan posted:

Welcome to the club.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The first WoT is one of those weird books where I put it down a month ago because I didn't feel like I was enjoying it/in the right mood for it, but I keep thinking about picking it back up, for a lot of the reasons Aardvark is talking about. I think I'll really need to be in the mood for that kind of book (ie charming high-fantasy played unapologetically straight). I think those sort of books for me are like snack food, where sometimes its fun to just binge it for a while, but I get overloaded on it kind of quickly. I don't know that I actively disliked anything, at worst I find one of the characters to be pretty annoying, but she seems to be written to be annoying, at least at the point where I was in the story.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
another end of book 2 moment that made me :dudsmile:

Perrin finding a stick to use and becoming his literal bannerman

spine tingling, tearing up style satisfying moments. honestly if he can manage a few of those every book I may make it through yet.

Thinking on it more I think the highs of book 2 might be even higher than the first book, just largely jammed in to the last few chapters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

I have no idea if the books ever really break away from standard Tolkien-mimicry, let's-follow-the-destined-child-and-his-friends plots but I'm not sure I'm interested enough in any of the characters to find out.

Yes and no.

It's an American vietnam movie where Tolkien was a british WW1 movie. There's more shades of grey and more psychological realism and everything's bigger and takes longer and is a bit less classy with more explosions because it's American. The first book is a lot closer to Tolkien than the later ones.

Aardvark! posted:

spine tingling, tearing up style satisfying moments. honestly if he can manage a few of those every book I may make it through yet.

Thinking on it more I think the highs of book 2 might be even higher than the first book, just largely jammed in to the last few chapters.

There are moments like this throughout, but the gaps between them get longer and longer. Books 3 and 4 are probably the series high point in terms of cool-moment-density-per-page.

The one weird thing about the series is that, unlike most doorstoppers, it doesn't actually get progressively worse with each book -- it slows down dramatically and books 7-10 have very significant problems BUT most everyone agrees that the series starts getting good again with book 11 and then the conclusion is satisfying.

OTOH it's fifteen goddam books so I'm not gonna fault anyone who goes "gently caress it, I'm done, I don't have time for this poo poo" at whatever point. The general consensus for a while now seems to be "there's a really great six or eight book series in there if it got cut down" and the TV series seems to be aiming at eight seasons so, hey, maybe just wait for the show.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 13, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Books 7-10 catch a lot of hell from readers, but I think a lot of that is from people who were waiting on the books as they were being written.

In my last re-read I was surprised that I really quite liked book 8, and I think that's because I didn't have that "I waited that long for this and now I have to wait again?" feeling at the end of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

Books 7-10 catch a lot of hell from readers, but I think a lot of that is from people who were waiting on the books as they were being written.

In my last re-read I was surprised that I really quite liked book 8, and I think that's because I didn't have that "I waited that long for this and now I have to wait again?" feeling at the end of it.

There's that but there's also a lot of stuff that is a lot more interesting if you're re-reading and not reading for plot any more. On a second or third pass stuff like the architecture of Tanchico or the Real Housewives of Cairhien or internal White Tower politics or whatever stops being annoying filler and becomes interesting worldbuilding.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I'll really need to be in the mood for that kind of book (ie charming high-fantasy played unapologetically straight). I think those sort of books for me are like snack food, where sometimes its fun to just binge it for a while, but I get overloaded on it kind of quickly.

Yeah, for me at least WoT kinda put the stopper on that whole genre and I barely ever read any of it any more -- if I read new fantasy now I want something weird or different about it or it's just kinda boring. But I started reading Wheel of Time back in the day when I was a lot younger and so it still has that charm. For me, especially the early books, it's kinda like childhood in book form and I can just go back to it and be twelve years old on my parent's couch getting carried away, the same way I feel reading the Hobbit and for the same reasons.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Red Knight (Traitor Son Cycle #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZFPUL2/

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
I think I stuck it out to WoT book 12, but if I wasn’t reading to kill time while working at a call centre I probably would have given up sooner. The first three had some great scenes though
THE GRAVE IS NO BAR TO MY CALL :black101:
Hopefully the series is worth watching, whenever that comes out.

Speaking of adaptions, anybody catch the Foundations series yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah, you'll definitely like books 3+4, probably like 5+6 but will almost definitely tap out around book 7 if you continue. 7-10 are a lot slower than the rest of the series, most of the main cast is scattered across the world dealing with their own plots and the POV cast has bloated enormously at that point. The story also deals with a much, much wider scope in general.

Like by the end of the series there are 147 POV characters, 79 of which have multiple chapters while the rest are one offs.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Khizan posted:

Yeah, I was one of those readers back in the 90s. Actually fell off around book 8 and never got back on. (Have often considered going back and finishing up, especially after the series concluded, but... :effort: )

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Hopefully the series is worth watching, whenever that comes out.

November 19th

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Speaking of adaptions, anybody catch the Foundations series yet?

theres spaceships and people and empires and lots of WWHSD i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Recently I took a few months and I finished the Diving Universe books by Kristen Kathryn Rusch and am now looking for other stuff with that general vibe- space ships, astroarchaeology, shipwrecks, etc.