Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Holy poo poo the new Hammer and Bolter was awesome. Best one yet.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...y-sci-fi-writer

The first details of the book written by Adrian Tchaikovsky that was hinted a few months ago has finally been revealed.

This is a really big deal. He is a great author and well known. I wonder how they got him, whether he is a big 40k fan and asked to write a book for BL or if we are seeing a new movement from BL to get some big names by making big offers. It really does seem like GW is making a big lore push with WarhammerTV and now this.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Philthy posted:

Saturine was very good, but still a big fan of Solar War because I thought the grand strategy of taking the system with some good ship to ship warfare that beat most non-40k milsim books made it for me.

I liked the Solar War because it captured the sheer mind boggling scale of the invasion. Like, that is an obscene amount of ships, Holy poo poo!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

FPyat posted:

Just wish they didn't have the guardsmen in 40k standard Cadian armor. I liked how they initially had 18th/19th century looking greatcoat uniforms, contrasted nicely with the setting's present.

That and we have the baller Solar Auxilia models to base art off of, yes please.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Dog_Meat posted:

I liked the Solar War because it captured the sheer mind boggling scale of the invasion. Like, that is an obscene amount of ships, Holy poo poo!

Also Angron gets out on the hull and yells at dad. It rules.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...y-sci-fi-writer

The first details of the book written by Adrian Tchaikovsky that was hinted a few months ago has finally been revealed.

Oh gently caress give me this asap

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's really sad that you can safely skip the Titan scenes in Mortis; and you should absolutely skip the KNights bits. But when you make it through you get to Warhawk, which at the 53% is excellent. It's not Saturnine, but nothing ever will be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

Mortis has the best cover art they have done in a long time. Most of the SOT covers are great but that one in particular owns . It reminds me of 40k art from like 15 years ago

I need more hi res SoT book cover images, stat.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

euphronius posted:

Mortis has the best cover art they have done in a long time. Most of the SOT covers are great but that one in particular owns . It reminds me of 40k art from like 15 years ago

I'm never sure what's more amusing about this sort of picture, that there's always a guy urgently pointing out the 30-metre-high war machine about to annihilate/stomp on everyone or that, apparently, there's other guys in need of having it pointed out to them in the first place. :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

YOUR LASGUN IS GOING TO DO THRONE ALL TO THAT THING

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But all your lasguns could do a whole lot of diddly to that thing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MMAgCh posted:

I'm never sure what's more amusing about this sort of picture, that there's always a guy urgently pointing out the 800-metre-high war machine about to annihilate/stomp on everyone or that, apparently, there's other guys in need of having it pointed out to them in the first place. :allears:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

But all your lasguns could do a whole lot of diddly to that thing.

Past a certain scale I think you run out of space to put more guardsmen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Hey there is a titan right there !!”

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The problem with titans especially what I'm assuming is Dies Irae right there is that the scale just breaks my mind. I mean it is like a living mountain that just strides towards you. Also how fast is it, does it take a day to reach you once it crosses the horizon, or is it upon you in an hour or so?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's as fast as the plot says it needs to be, unless you want to tell it otherwise.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think it took a few days to go 150km or something. Plot speed.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Heres a slightly spoilery question.

Why doesn't Rowboat have any Emperor class Titian's tooling about with him? He has loads of warlords but it stops there. I can understand the lack of warmasters but not Emperors.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MMAgCh posted:

I'm never sure what's more amusing about this sort of picture, that there's always a guy urgently pointing out the 30-metre-high war machine about to annihilate/stomp on everyone or that, apparently, there's other guys in need of having it pointed out to them in the first place. :allears:
I think at least here he's saying "shoot the little ones you fuckwits, they don't have a shield!"

ETA: although I am suddenly reminded that in Final Liberation the best way to take down a titan's shields is lasgun fire due to them counting "hits" and not anything else. Five guardsmen pew-pewing at it is far better than wasting something that might actually damage the titan.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arquinsiel posted:

I think at least here he's saying "shoot the little ones you fuckwits, they don't have a shield!"

ETA: although I am suddenly reminded that in Final Liberation the best way to take down a titan's shields is lasgun fire due to them counting "hits" and not anything else. Five guardsmen pew-pewing at it is far better than wasting something that might actually damage the titan.

My lesson from Final Liberation was that nothing, including Gargants, can survive if you get enough Basilisks firing together.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

AndyElusive posted:

I need more hi res SoT book cover images, stat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zil posted:

The problem with titans especially what I'm assuming is Dies Irae right there is that the scale just breaks my mind. I mean it is like a living mountain that just strides towards you. Also how fast is it, does it take a day to reach you once it crosses the horizon, or is it upon you in an hour or so?

I prefer "Deceptively Fast", like how and AT-AT in Star Wars can go 60km/h because of its long strides.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

My lesson from Final Liberation was that nothing, including Gargants, can survive if you get enough Basilisks firing together.
The Bombards were slightly better at actually damaging stuff. Basilisks had about 5% less armour penetration for some reason which meant that once in a while something would just ignore the shell.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the same in modern Titanicus. Your Void shield goes down just the same whether it was hit by a S4 Megabolter shot or a S13 Volcano Cannon. Except the Megabolter shoots 12 times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jng2058 posted:

I totally buy this.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arc Hammer posted:

I prefer "Deceptively Fast", like how and AT-AT in Star Wars can go 60km/h because of its long strides.

There is a great Youtube that breaks down AT-AT speeds and basically determines that they were probably breaking about 6-10 kph during the Battle of Hoth, and that even hypothetically speeding them up they probably would mechanically top out at around 30 kph.

https://youtu.be/dt7gGCYdcRY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaal posted:

There is a great Youtube that breaks down AT-AT speeds and basically determines that they were probably breaking about 6-10 kph during the Battle of Hoth, and that even hypothetically speeding them up they probably would mechanically top out at around 30 kph.

https://youtu.be/dt7gGCYdcRY

I mean they should be able to gallop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zLbgXElsA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

At least the sergeants arm point works artistically

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

That's awesome, I'm convinced.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com...t-out-of-a-car/

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zil posted:

Funny you mention Dies Irae b/c didn't it just like vanish from the plot after the first three HH books?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Funny you mention Dies Irae b/c didn't it just like vanish from the plot after the first three HH books?

It features heavily in Mortis and was in Titandeath as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/q7dcqg/penance_for_a_fart_shira_calpurnia_omnibus/

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 14, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

That's pretty loving amazing. I love when cosplay people go that extra mile.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Saturnine is truly great, in my opinion 10/10 and one of abnett’s strongest books. In the context of the SOT it feels like “and then more stuff happened” but the actual quality of the prose, the craft, is head and shoulders above most BL writers and even Abnett’s earlier work. It’s genuinely moving.

Funny, I have the exact opposite opinions re Saturnine!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Biplane posted:

Funny, I have the exact opposite opinions re Saturnine!

Ya????

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah same. Saturnine is fine, but it's a middle book full of other people's characters. Abnett's best when he gets to work within his setup.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

notaspy posted:

Heres a slightly spoilery question.

Why doesn't Rowboat have any Emperor class Titian's tooling about with him? He has loads of warlords but it stops there. I can understand the lack of warmasters but not Emperors.

Because GW doesn't make models for Emperor class Titans any more.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's like how the Warmaster spontaneously flashed into existance for Mortis.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Hey thread so I just finished Penitent and I'm pretty invested in when Pandemonium is coming out please tell me it's soon I just need a couple of chapters to keep me going

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its coming out with Winds of Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Hey thread so I just finished Penitent and I'm pretty invested in when Pandemonium is coming out please tell me it's soon I just need a couple of chapters to keep me going

Haha