Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ugusername posted:

Jose posted:

Found the worst named series and description which I think counts

What the hell. This is actually a good manga. Didn't expect that from this thread but thanks i guess...

It's not the worst name or description for a series either. Not even close. It's bad, but if you wanna talk "worst" I can top it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

They were a pretty good band though...

that was named such because Steve Albini was so completely gobsmacked by the title and premise, he had to do something with it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm pretty sure I also remember that manga getting a cameo appearance in an SVU episode

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Jose posted:

Found the worst named series and description which I think counts

reading this and it's giving me "tails gets trolled" vibes, in a way i'm currently enjoying. i feel like it has a similar puerile sense of humour and edginess in the dialogue and story beats, ridiculous characters and powers being treated seriously and earnestly, big long involved "anime battle" style sequences, etc.

lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ok, does the series live up to this awful description?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
That is the second or third description of a series that talks about "Cultivation." What is that intended to mean?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nebrilos posted:

That is the second or third description of a series that talks about "Cultivation." What is that intended to mean?

It's a very specific term which originated in Chinese martial arts stories (like Wuxia).

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/cultivation

quote:

Cultivation (修真) is a Taoist concept that describes extending one's lifespan through practicing martial and mystical arts, with the goal of cultivating Qi: the spiritual life force.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Nebrilos posted:

Imagine Cookie Clicker, but for power levels.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is this person's first language and why does he seem to hate women and single men so much?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nebrilos posted:

I'm simplifying things, but basically "cultivation" is a method of training the mind and body through proper exercise, diet, and mystic/religious training.

IIRC it's was a originally a concept in certain branches of taoism, but nowadays it's mostly used as an excuse for characters to have special martial arts and/or superpowers, especially in Chinese media.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Turns out this was fairly easy to google, and it's called "What Should I Do With My Brother?"

The description is sadly much more insane than the actual story turned out to be. The main character is Xia Shi, the mentioned little sister. Her brother was (unknown to her) the Demon Lord, who instead of fighting the male lead drove him nuts by constantly bragging about his sister and taunting him about how he doesn't even have a girlfriend (hence the description). So the ML sealed the brother away, but now the whole world hates Xia Shi because of said brother, so he ends up dragging her home with him.

Other than the the ML's weird obsession about having Xia Shi call him brother, it's mostly a standard isekai + cultivation story where Xia Shi is trying to 1) find a way home 2) figure out just what the heck her brother has done and 3) acquire your typical super-special OP protagonist powers to help her with the first two goals.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nemo2342 posted:

Boring stuff

Well that's a bit of a downer, I have to say. I like it when dumb absurd stuff has the guts to be dumb and absurd, like Dog N***a up there.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Nebrilos posted:

In the ones I checked it’s shorthand for random nerds to be actually superpowerful, because they cultivated power in a previous life or something

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its a fantasy subgenre out of china, just google xianxia. its cool

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Cultivation is where daoist wizards meditate so they can increase their chi power and use that power to make magic crack cocaine that makes them better at meditating, interspersed with occasional interludes of vomiting blood because of Elder Master Liu's spiritual aura or their eyes glowing with subterfuge or the author not having a good grasp of distances, and etc.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I came across this the other day. How accurate would you say it is?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dunno, I can't actually read it.

Sorry, I'm not very good at this. I think the link should at least work now.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 13, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dunno, I can't actually read it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That's parodying I Shall Seal The Heavens specifically and, yes, it is quite accurate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just play "Amazing Cultivation Simulator" and prepare to be even more confused.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"he was as calm as the ocean in a painting of an insanely calm ocean" lmao

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Presenting: a most concise series synopsis.

Shangri-La

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i didn't care until i took a second look at that cover art

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I thought it was cute until I took a second look at the cover art

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Bro Dad continues to have perfect avatar for this thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That's one of those things where it's a neat life for like ten minutes, until you realize you can't move your eyes and you're basically stuck staring at the same view forever and ever, slowly going insane like one of those pigs in a pen that's too small to move around in except unlike the pig you never get to die

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yuri Kabe chapter one worked. Every chapter after that (there's 8) don't add anything.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I always read those and wonder to myself what that person's first language is, because it clearly is NOT English and I'm curious as to what other language(s) they speak that has grammar like that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Probably Korean since they mentioned only reading manhwa at first

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seems problematic to me idk :/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Seems problematic to me idk :/

It's like an 80-year-old "dating" a 9-year-old, so, yeah

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's creepy but it's not because the human man is too young for the elf.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Scanlator credit pages count as comments, right

tag urself, i'm Kai

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm rear end Checker