Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean, one river or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm saying that Siuan is about as much a glorious river daughter as any other Amyrlin.

I suppose that's true, so this would make the song a more general Amyrlyn hymn. Siuan hasn't been in her position for that long, so in-universe it would be strange to see a song specifically about her, and pointing out her fisherman's daughter background to boot. Ang going on about how she's not a laborer doesn't fit with her working class origins.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

I suppose that's true, so this would make the song a more general Amyrlyn hymn. Siuan hasn't been in her position for that long, so in-universe it would be strange to see a song specifically about her, and pointing out her fisherman's daughter background to boot. Ang going on about how she's not a laborer doesn't fit with her working class origins.

The speculation here is that the song either refers to Tar Valon being on the river Erinin, or that, being far more likely, channeling saidar is like slipping into a slow wide river.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most assuredly since the trailer showed Rand in a river. Probably the easiest way to show magic on screen.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

That said, Egwene was the only child of the richest and politically most exalted man in Emond's Field.

Egwene has four older sisters

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:lol: at "mayor of Emond's Field" being described in any way as "politically exalted"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Egwene has four older sisters

Wow, that completely slipped my mind. Perrin and Mat's siblings are brought up a lot (and Rand's two half-brothers, I guess), but never Egwene's.

How are u posted:

:lol: at "mayor of Emond's Field" being described in any way as "politically exalted"

I admit it's a bit hyperbolic, but feelings of being poor are majorly affected by your environment. Egwene's father is at least first among equals in the Emond's Fields leadership, especially with his natural counterpart among the women being so young. And he's definitely the wealthiest man in the village. Siuan comes from a completely different environment, and Tear's fishers are never even hinted at being as wealthy and influential as for example the Ebou Dar fishermen guild is shown to be.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

jng2058 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbrightWrites/status/1447367114822602755

Ah ha! Full lyrics AND a translation for Al'Naito! Finally!

Definitely about Siaun, and I'm really starting to think it may actually be diegetic! Cool!

I read this and assumed it was referencing how the herald announces Siuan's arrival that time: "She comes! She comes! The Watcher of the Seals, the Flame of Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat. Attend you all, for she comes!"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

I admit it's a bit hyperbolic, but feelings of being poor are majorly affected by your environment. Egwene's father is at least first among equals in the Emond's Fields leadership, especially with his natural counterpart among the women being so young. And he's definitely the wealthiest man in the village. Siuan comes from a completely different environment, and Tear's fishers are never even hinted at being as wealthy and influential as for example the Ebou Dar fishermen guild is shown to be.

Where are you going with this analysis?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Egwene was never really rich.

In the series she's also never really been white, either.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think there's ever even a point where egwene is talked about as being well off, emond's field is such a backwater spit of humanity out in the boonies that like the average trader in any of the big cities probably holds more direct wealth than anyone in their village does

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jedit posted:

In the series she's also never really been white, either.

Honestly it's one of my favorite realizations about how Jordan wrote the characters, you have a good grasp on their physical size and features, but not really a ton of their ethnicity which lets some of it get real blendy/open to interpretation. He did a good job letting you craft your own visual info for the characters and I'm glad the show appears to have run with that casting a diverse bunch of folks.

While she might be one of the "richer" folks in theory in Emonds Field, in reality she's dirt poor compared to most anyone of standing outside of the area. She does a ton of manual labor in the town and doesn't get to rely on her families wealth to carry the day for her. None of the folks from there are what anyone in Randland would consider wealthy either. I feel like that's a minor plot point when they get reuinited with folks from there and they see their "glamorous clothing" that they all think its basically just whatever these days and not worthy of note to their former townsfolk.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 13, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I'm glad the show appears to have run with that casting a diverse bunch of folks.

Same. They were all white in my head when I read the books 15 years ago, but I really like that they didn't have to be, and that they won't be on TV.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Honestly it's one of my favorite realizations about how Jordan wrote the characters, you have a good grasp on their physical size and features, but not really a ton of their ethnicity which lets some of it get real blendy/open to interpretation. He did a good job letting you craft your own visual info for the characters and I'm glad the show appears to have run with that casting a diverse bunch of folks.

Good grasp of physical size and features except all of the women have gigantic breasts

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Good grasp of physical size and features except all of the women have gigantic breasts

VOLUPTOUS BOSOMS

How are u posted:

Same. They were all white in my head when I read the books 15 years ago, but I really like that they didn't have to be, and that they won't be on TV.

Generally the same yeah, older I get the easier its been to read a lot of the characters and Randland as being a lot more mixed than when I read them as a teen.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Torrannor posted:

Wow, that completely slipped my mind. Perrin and Mat's siblings are brought up a lot (and Rand's two half-brothers, I guess), but never Egwene's.

It probably didn't slip your mind; almost all of the information on Egwene's sisters comes from the extra chapter "Ravens" added to later printings of EotW when the book was split in two for its YA release. Other than that one chapter which may not have even been in your books, and their entries in the WoT Companion, they basically don't exist.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's also Marin Al'Vere telling Nynaeve in her accepted test "I have five daughters. Living, do you understand?" or something like that

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, most people where vaguely white in my imagination, except the Aiel who were explicitly Irish, and various Seanchan who were very diverse and had the only explicitly black people. Plus Semirhage, of course.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean "coppery skinned Domani" is an oft-repeated phrase.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, most people where vaguely white in my imagination, except the Aiel who were explicitly Irish, and various Seanchan who were very diverse and had the only explicitly black people. Plus Semirhage, of course.

I always read the Aiel as more central asian than Irish. A lot of those eye colors and hair types are really prevalent across the asian steppes down into the caucuses. Can't knock that instant association though. But the Aiel and the Borderlanders were the only folks I ever really thought of as obviously not mostly white as a young reader.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 13, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sea Folk were explicitly black

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

I think I more thought of them as polynesian. More olive/brownish than black black.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lmao for some reason

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There were plenty of explicit descriptions, it's more that as a younger kid it sorta bounced off my head at least when forming mental images of the non main characters. Going back and looking, yeah, you can clearly tell different ethnicities are represented all over the world. There's definitely a line talking about the Seanchan armies and describing looks of people from all over, and there's scattered descriptions of people in randland as well pointing to the different people in various nations. It's not a lily-white place for sure.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think I more thought of them as polynesian. More olive/brownish than black black.

Agreed the tattoos and chains/piercings still feel very pacific islander.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CainsDescendant posted:

This was always my interpretation as well but I could see the argument for Sea Folk as influenced by Pacific Islanders as well.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

This was always my interpretation as well but I could see the argument for Sea Folk as influenced by Pacific Islanders as well.

Noal specifically compares a dark skinned (but blue eyed) person he sees in Ebou Dar to both Atha'an Miere and Sharan people. I mean, Pacific Islanders, South Asians, Africans and a number of other real world folks can all be very dark skinned but it's clear the sea folk (and Sharan and some people from Seanchan) are as dark skinned as they come in Randland.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 14, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Australia being the Land of Madmen will never stop being funny to me

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Australia being the Land of Madmen will never stop being funny to me

The Land of Madmen being Mad Max with Channelers will never stop being funny.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I WANT THIS GAME

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you made a game like Magicka where you haphazardly throw around the five powers while Lews Therin shouts morosely in the background I'd probably play it.

A lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game)

It had genuinely great multi-player.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I remember setting up my traps in my base and using the ter'angreal that shot giant green homing spheres at ppl and owned them.

Everyone who played the Hound sucked cause Mashadar was OP

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

I remember setting up my traps in my base and using the ter'angreal that shot giant green homing spheres at ppl and owned them.

Everyone who played the Hound sucked cause Mashadar was OP

My favorite trick was reflecting people's "Swap Places" weave back at them, then jumping into lava.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That's actually what got me into reading the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I need to finish that at some point

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

I have the game but sadly never had the internet speeds to play Multi. I tried like twice but it was not a good experience at the latency I was getting at the time sadly.

Balefire Jumping was neat though.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1448680091156766723?s=20

I don't think it's up on youtube yet. pretty sick i must say. id like to see trollocs' faces up closer

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm glad they're going with the weird beast creatures look instead of making them just look like orcs or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Trollocs look halfway OK!