Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kitfox88 posted:

Also JENNIFER GOVERNMENT THE HIT NOVEL THAT INSPIRED THE GREAT ONLINE GAME NATIONSTATES

edit: I'm so awful at being a scumbag in videogames, it feels so much nicer helping folks out.

Younger me fell for that marketing pretty hard. I asked for the book for Christmas. I don't think I ever finished it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kitfox88 posted:

Also JENNIFER GOVERNMENT THE HIT NOVEL THAT INSPIRED THE GREAT ONLINE GAME NATIONSTATES

edit: I'm so awful at being a scumbag in videogames, it feels so much nicer helping folks out.

Younger me fell for that marketing pretty hard. I asked for the book for Christmas. I don't think I ever finished it. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Younger me fell for that marketing pretty hard. I asked for the book for Christmas. I don't think I ever finished it. :v:

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

VROOM VROOM posted:

same

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m immune to marketing, I stole that book from someone the day after Christmas and I finished that poo poo

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's actually a pretty good book, I liked it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I feel a little bad after reading all the problems people are having with them in the companion thread, but I am loving these EMMI segments in Metroid Dread. I think I've died at least once to each of them so far, but they're such a fun diversion from the usual exploration. I also loved SA-X in Fusion, and the big boys in Resident Evil games. If you give me a big, invincible monster and tell me to hide from it under tables or whatever, I instantly lose interest. But telling me to haul rear end because that fucker is coming at you right now (and then come back later and get revenge)? I love that poo poo.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

you're right, because the emmi sections all owned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything about the EMMIs is designed to be as unsettling as possible, it owns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about the EMMIs is designed to be as unsettling as possible, it owns.

One of my favorite parts of that design is that, when you watch them lower from being upright and bipedal to their quadrupedal movement form (which was in the initial Dread trailer), they go down the wrong way. They don't just bend down and go, no, they bend backwards, over themselves, then forward. I have no idea why, but it's done with just enough purpose to be terrified of what this machine can do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

One of my favorite parts of that design is that, when you watch them lower from being upright and bipedal to their quadrupedal movement form (which was in the initial Dread trailer), they go down the wrong way. They don't just bend down and go, no, they bend backwards, over themselves, then forward. I have no idea why, but it's done with just enough purpose to be terrified of what this machine can do.

It's great in a body horror kind of way, but it's also disturbing because it also gives the perspective of something being slow, moving away from you, or otherwise seeming like you'd have time to run while it's doing that weird motion. In reality, when it finishes leaning backwards and its front legs touch the ground, it starts MOVING. it's off-putting AND mildly disarming at first, and now there's a spike in Samus's throat because I didn't realize that the weird centipede thing accelerated by doing a wrong backwards handstand

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really enjoy how, once you bust their protective casing off and they start stalking towards you so you can blow their face off, the EMMI just keep getting taller as they stand to their full height. The first time it happened I was like “oh. OH. Oh no charge faster please death beam.”

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Verminetide 2 at some point added in a rouge like game mode where you and friends move from randomly generated level to randomly generated level. You can get crazy powerful boons and some levels are afflicted by Chaos gods which further modify the experience. It's a good way to try new characters since you always start at level 1 and you start with basic gear.

My favorite so far has been a world afflicted by Khorne so the size of horde waves was jacked up to massive amounts of slave rats.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Samus is a silent character in Metroid Dread again, (spoilers for about half way through) mostly. About half way through the game she has one line of dialogue, what she says isn't special, but how she says it is amazing. You meet a Chozo scientist (the race of bird-people that raised Samus, gave her the Power Suit and almost all the powerups in the series are their technology) and he gives you a plot dump on the villain's plan. They made up a Chozo language for the game and of course this guy is speaking it the whole time, and Samus replies with a simple "Don't worry, I'll put an end to this" in the same language.
I just love that it's the only time she speaks and it isn't even in a human language.

Oh, and also a primal scream of loving rage in the last boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bajZiisy6fw

Veotax has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Oct 13, 2021

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think saying an apparently-silent character actually has voice lines halfway through the game definitely counts as a spoiler.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also your video embeds with a real clear title

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think saying an apparently-silent character actually has voice lines halfway through the game definitely counts as a spoiler.

Your post is a spoiler now too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the day you release your mind from caring about spoilers is so delicious, you will taste the sweet air and laugh to the sky

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Welp game is ruined forever now that I know John Metroid isn't mute. Too bad I bought physical and can't open a ticket

My favorite thing is that (major plot spoilers)

No Samus, you are the metroid

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
D'awww

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One really nice detail with Metroid Dread is there's actually a point to the fancy high-action cutscenes each bossfight kicks off with; They're actually subtle tutorials on how to fight the boss, including its weak point, as well as how to evade its strikes.

It's also nice to see the Kraid fight just start with Samus staring right at them and charging her Power Beam already, because she's done this dance before and is in no mood for their bullshit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

One of my favorite parts of that design is that [...] they go down the wrong way.

Is this the famous "suck my dick from the back" that I've heard about?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
In Far Cry 6 the player character occasionally sings the songs playing on the radio of whatever vehicle you are driving, and if you step out while singing they will finish whatever line they are singing unaccompanied by music. Its a small thing but it really helps building up the character.

https://gfycat.com/bitesizedfondbluemorphobutterfly-far-cry-6 video has sound

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vic posted:

I want people identify themselves as AT&T born and bred or lower classes not even knowing there are "other" corporations. Or the idea of communism being like a brand identity. Corporations being evil is a today problem. I wanna see writers thinking ahead of that.
Didn't the Mirror's Edge sequel/soft reboot of one game touch on this at least?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Croccers posted:

Didn't the Mirror's Edge sequel/soft reboot of one game touch on this at least?

IIRC it went more for a Citystates kind of thing, even if corporations had a ton of control within them.
And it's very much a hard reboot, the only thing it has in common with the original is Faith's name and occupation.

Relatedly one of the things I love about the original Mirror's Edge is that it's not actually cyberpunk or even really sci-fi, it's just a contemporary police state with a ton of corporate influence.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
psychonauts 2 has some REALLY good portals and impossible spaces, including this little moment

https://twitter.com/danhett/status/1448246971173642246

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WirelessPillow posted:

In Far Cry 6 the player character occasionally sings the songs playing on the radio of whatever vehicle you are driving, and if you step out while singing they will finish whatever line they are singing unaccompanied by music. Its a small thing but it really helps building up the character.

https://gfycat.com/bitesizedfondbluemorphobutterfly-far-cry-6 video has sound

That's so the song they're singing doesn't just cut out, I agree it's kind of cool though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

flatluigi posted:

psychonauts 2 has some REALLY good portals and impossible spaces, including this little moment

https://twitter.com/danhett/status/1448246971173642246

I'm a big fan of impossible spaces in games, more need to do stuff like that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

That's so the song they're singing doesn't just cut out, I agree it's kind of cool though

Why would they do that though? Does the radio not turn off when you get out of your helicopter??

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, but it would sound odd if the character's singing got cut short at the same time, you'd be able to tell it was just a sound file playing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, but it would sound odd if the character's singing got cut short at the same time, you'd be able to tell it was just a sound file playing.

Oh I see you were talking about the singing not stopping abruptly not the radio

Tell me more about your helicopter

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
In Dishonored 2, I'm in the Clockwork Mansion which going by its name is a... Clockwork... Mansion... and the whole time you explore it the mad inventor of everything is commenting on stuff you do. I've spent much of the level blowing up his experiments and damaging his machinery and eventually he got annoyed and wondered out loud just how many damned grenades I brought into his house. Then he immediately remembers he left a bunch in his lab for experimentation purposes and I probably got them there.

Which was great, because I don't have any carry capacity upgrades so I absolutely made a couple of trips back to that 'nade stash so I could keep blowing his poo poo up.

And to clarify I mean I had already discovered the stash which is why the line made me chuckle.

Sally has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Oct 14, 2021

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I like how Jupiter Hell just shows the last enemies left alive on the map when you get down to 3. With some levels and enemy movement patterns, it could be a pain in the rear end to track them down otherwise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh I see you were talking about the singing not stopping abruptly not the radio

Tell me more about your helicopter

it's great ty

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sally posted:

In Dishonored 2, I'm in the Clockwork Mansion which going by its name is a... Clockwork... Mansion... and the whole time you explore it the mad inventor of everything is commenting on stuff you do. I've spent much of the level blowing up his experiments and damaging his machinery and eventually he got annoyed and wondered out loud just how many damned grenades I brought into his house. Then he immediately remembers he left a bunch in his lab for experimentation purposes and I probably got them there.

Which was great, because I don't have any carry capacity upgrades so I absolutely made a couple of trips back to that 'nade stash so I could keep blowing his poo poo up.

And to clarify I mean I had already discovered the stash which is why the line made me chuckle.

you can also escape his notice entirely and have no commentary if you hide when you pull the first lever. He'll wonder who made the mansion move and eventually give up and go back to work.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can also escape his notice entirely and have no commentary if you hide when you pull the first lever. He'll wonder who made the mansion move and eventually give up and go back to work.

Ha, that's amazing.

These games have so much detail it just keeps blowing me away.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really enjoy Metroid Dread. I initially thought "wow you get upgrades rapid-fire" and that it was maybe a bad thing because I could barely play with one before getting the next, but I got in a groove of just pressing on and realized that this pacing perfectly fits the mood of the game: you're constantly running, under pressure to leave quickly, things keep escalating in the story, so Samus and the player are incentivized to keep going as well.

Also, Samus Returns had a similar pacing due to cramming new upgrades into the constrained original geometry (with certain liberties) and that worked too, so I think it's just the team's style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It probably helps to avoid frustration by giving regular rewards, cheating a bit in that a few of the new ones are just flat out weaker versions of later classics, like the double jump, as as said before the Mega Man slide means they can hold off giving you the Morph Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i was amazed how long they kept the morph ball from you, which is usually the first or second upgrade you get, and in Dread it was like my 5th, three hours or so into the game. They got a LOT of mileage out of "tunnel that's 1 tile too far up so you can't slide into it" to gate you off.

And i STILL haven't gotten the morph bombs, which really pains me because i'm usually the type to bomb-jump everywhere and meticulously bomb every wall and ceiling for hidden blocks.

Feels like the devs don't rely on the melee counter as much as they did in Samus Returns, which is also a plus.