Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

Daily Grind's author has posted a few chapters of their new story.

Kitty Cat Kill Sat is about a very smart cat who undertook the duty to operate Earth's last orbital bombardment platform. It's not easy. She's all alone and has zero thumbs. She is very tired.

It's pretty cool but also kinda sad.

i like it but since it's a side 'bored and trying not to burn myself out' project it's probably not likely to go anywhere. that said it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thankfully it's more of a sequence of short stories than a linear narrative, so I'm fine with it abruptly ending at any point.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Megazver posted:

Daily Grind's author has posted a few chapters of their new story.

Kitty Cat Kill Sat is about a very smart cat who undertook the duty to operate Earth's last orbital bombardment platform. It's not easy. She's all alone and has zero thumbs. She is very tired.

It's pretty cool but also kinda sad.

It is really cool. Thanks for the link. Hopefully it will not fall by the wayside to the Daily Grind.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
love the space cat

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Space cat was very good, and a little sad. Worth reading.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

quote:

I do not cry out. I have long since stopped crying out. There is no one to hear me.

Oh man, this is going to be rough, isn't it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 27: Finally some inklings of actual drama. Maybe even an overarching plotline. Might become a Gary or Team Rocket kind of situation?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD 27: Finally some inklings of actual drama. Maybe even an overarching plotline. Might become a Gary or Team Rocket kind of situation?

This is pretty clearly Alfric's former girlfriend who stole his meticulously put together original party right?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Probably yeah.

Mizuki's reaction reads like compulsion to me. She would've blabbed all that info anyway, but the way she blabbed it doesn't feel like normal Mizuki behavior. Especially her feeling off balance because of too many questions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD: uhhh drat alfric's ex is an IRL save scummer?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zore posted:

This is pretty clearly Alfric's former girlfriend who stole his meticulously put together original party right?

Yes. He's mentioned her name at least once before.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 28: Well that's interesting. I love how obvious it is that Wales has given it real thought for how such a power would factor in culturally. Also like that it's a power with both a big upside and a big downside, even if the downside isn't really concrete. Of and course this explains what I thought was compulsion in the previous chapter.

A big flaming stink posted:

TUTBAD: uhhh drat alfric's ex is an IRL save scummer?
It's interesting, the contrast here between Alfric's strict ethical guidelines on chrononauting vs the wanton power exploitation of the protagonist in The Perfect Run (the MC's power is quicksaving).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 9, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Haha someone on Reddit pointed this out from the previous chapter:

quote:

“The name’s Lola, actually,” she said, holding out a hand.

“Mizuki,” said Mizuki, taking her hand. “Sorry, I’ve never met someone with purple eyes before.”

“That you know of,” said Lola with an impish smile.

Lol, what a cheeky fucker.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Outcast Patreon: man, the translation part of this system is scuffed as hell

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This Used to Be About Dungeons 29: I knew Lola was in town just to mess with Alfric. Although I guess we don't actually know that for sure since we only have his opinion that's what's going on.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That explains why his parents are in separate parties, the role he referred to earlier: only need one chrononaut to deal with the possibility of someone dying.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
My book got to #1689 on Royal road after ten chapters,(Red mist)

But my satire book is #4000 with more tiny chapters soooo idk.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fates Parallel reminds me of Forge of Destiny in all the best ways.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Fates Parallel book one is getting yoinked for KU in two weeks so read it now if it sounds interesting.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I started reading it on the grounds that I will never bother reading it once the first 34 chapters are gone. Halfway through that and it's been pretty fun. Poor kid ends up at a magic school that's aiming to keep the peace between three nations by teaching their kids to be cultivators and martial artists and mages at the same time. Shady scheming elders. Arrogant young master challenging her to a duel for the secret technique she must have been given that lets her learn quickly.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“An Eui’s fate is as inauspicious as yours is auspicious, Miss Lee. Your fortune is impressive, and with your blessings I have no doubt you have a grand destiny before you. Miss An, however, will only hold you back from that greatness. She is destined for nothing but death, destruction, and misfortune.”

Lee Jia glanced nervously at Eui, who was still calmly meditating, practicing the qi breathing methods. Frustratingly, the little fragment of Eui’s mind in her head was agreeing with everything Qin said. She glared defiantly at Elder Qin.

“I’ve never felt lucky in my entire life. Everything that I have, everything that I am, I fought tooth and claw for. I don’t believe in fate or destiny—Eui and I will make our destinies, and we will do it together no matter what your stupid fate thinks.”

Qin gazed impassively at Lee Jia as he stroked his beard.

“Do it, then. Turn your words into action. Show me the strength of your conviction to defy fate—I certainly won’t do it for you.”

aw yeah that's the poo poo

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Fates Parallel book one is getting yoinked for KU in two weeks so read it now if it sounds interesting.

Thanks, I've been meaning to read it for a while so I'll so it now I guess.

I looked away for a week and Dungeon reality show Carl had nuked the book I was at. So annoying when it happens.

Don't the series kill off any new readers when they do that? Or is KU just so much better?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ku pays authors, most royal road followers don’t.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The "advance chapters on patreon" model monetizes the readers who are caught up and want to pay you to keep writing more, but doesn't let you monetize all the stuff you've written in the past. To some degree, the stuff you've written in the past hurts your income, as it takes longer for new readers to get to the point where they have to pay to get more. KU is the opposite and lets you get money from the stuff you wrote a while ago. RR's role in all this is just to be an ad for your patreon, and after you've gotten a good amount of exposure on RR that can start to have diminishing returns.

FP's patreon is on a solid upward trajectory right now so going KU seems a little pre-emptive (I'd expect it to be worth waiting for your patreon income to sorta top out), but they probably know better than I do what makes the most financial sense.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's weird that he even put Dungeon Crawler Carl up on Royal Road at all.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Man, I get way too excited every time someone recommends something as similar to forge. It always ends up being trash or only superficially similar. :smith:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Larry Parrish posted:

It's weird that he even put Dungeon Crawler Carl up on Royal Road at all.

Free exposure is usually good. You have to get early readers/reviews for your kindle algorithm from somewhere and community discord’s are the preferred parasocial apparatus.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 30: I like how realistic Lola's teammates feel. Can't help but think about how if this was a typical cultivation story instead, their interactions with Zuki and Hannah would've been composed of 50% sneers by volume.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Outcast In Another World needs to start being a little cautious about the abilities the protagonist is getting with his "pump all stats into vitality" strategy. It's starting to get to the point where it's kind of unbelievable that humans in this setting didn't constantly use such a build themselves. It's not like Rob is the only character who doesn't want to die and would feel compelled to put points into the "literal life force" stat, or that other past humans wouldn't have realized "Berserker lets one turn all this extra HP into damage." For non-humans it makes sense, since they level more slowly and wouldn't normally be able to get their vitality high enough to be worth it, but the "pump everything into vitality + Berserker class" thing is kind of becoming "overpowered" in a sense where you'd think humans would have just chosen that route en masse in the past.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Outcast In Another World needs to start being a little cautious about the abilities the protagonist is getting with his "pump all stats into vitality" strategy. It's starting to get to the point where it's kind of unbelievable that humans in this setting didn't constantly use such a build themselves. It's not like Rob is the only character who doesn't want to die and would feel compelled to put points into the "literal life force" stat, or that other past humans wouldn't have realized "Berserker lets one turn all this extra HP into damage." For non-humans it makes sense, since they level more slowly and wouldn't normally be able to get their vitality high enough to be worth it, but the "pump everything into vitality + Berserker class" thing is kind of becoming "overpowered" in a sense where you'd think humans would have just chosen that route en masse in the past.

That's one of the many problems with these litrpg works. If humans having game stats were a thing, developing the most optimized build would be an entire field of study, and nations would devote massive resources into research for it. A single person who plays video games a lot isn't going to be able to compete, especially considering they won't have nearly as much knowledge about what exactly each stat and ability does and their limitations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's one of the many problems with these litrpg works. If humans having game stats were a thing, developing the most optimized build would be an entire field of study, and nations would devote massive resources into research for it. A single person who plays video games a lot isn't going to be able to compete, especially considering they won't have nearly as much knowledge about what exactly each stat and ability does and their limitations.

That’s what the elves in outcast did so all had the same Savagely Optimized ranger build even when it didn’t spark joy (and they got rolled when something that it wasn’t optimized for showed up)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I got bored with Wake of the Ravager eventually, but I feel like it threaded this needle well. The way you boost mental stats is by making elaborate plans, ideally ones that results in someone else dying. The way you boost social stats is mostly by convincing people of things that aren't true or convincing people to do thinks that are dangerous for them. You can also gain stats by seeing through such ploys. So all the nobility grinds out the mental and social stats of their children by emotionally abusing them. And they all play horrible "pranks" on each other.

Naturally this means everyone in power is a complete sociopath.

Being sociopaths, they keep the secrets of the optimal builds to themselves, and even, to a certain extent, sabotage the training process of front-line soldiers and low-level officers to keep people in line.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

shirunei posted:

Man, I get way too excited every time someone recommends something as similar to forge. It always ends up being trash or only superficially similar. :smith:

As a writer I gotta ask what makes it better than the similar stuff? Better prose? 2 dimensional characters? Something it just lacks?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Not enough focus on pills.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
regarding tutbad: christ lola's abuser vibes are just going up to 100. the way that they keep trying to half-heartedly defend her absolutely gives me a painful sense of domestic violence victim

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

The "advance chapters on patreon" model monetizes the readers who are caught up and want to pay you to keep writing more, but doesn't let you monetize all the stuff you've written in the past. To some degree, the stuff you've written in the past hurts your income, as it takes longer for new readers to get to the point where they have to pay to get more. KU is the opposite and lets you get money from the stuff you wrote a while ago. RR's role in all this is just to be an ad for your patreon, and after you've gotten a good amount of exposure on RR that can start to have diminishing returns.

FP's patreon is on a solid upward trajectory right now so going KU seems a little pre-emptive (I'd expect it to be worth waiting for your patreon income to sorta top out), but they probably know better than I do what makes the most financial sense.

also keep in mind that when you release on KU you're hitting a much larger audience than what's on royalroad. FP has been on Royalroad for 8 months now - while it has been gaining popularity lately, you gotta pay the bills and FP is only at ~$700 a month. being entirely on royalroad is good early on when youre hitting trending or so on but FP, although it briefly hit it again a little while ago, isn't going to hit trending anymore. at this point, the only real way to monetize it is to release on KU and hit more readers.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

also keep in mind that when you release on KU you're hitting a much larger audience than what's on royalroad. FP has been on Royalroad for 8 months now - while it has been gaining popularity lately, you gotta pay the bills and FP is only at ~$700 a month. being entirely on royalroad is good early on when youre hitting trending or so on but FP, although it briefly hit it again a little while ago, isn't going to hit trending anymore. at this point, the only real way to monetize it is to release on KU and hit more readers.

Yeah, by "maybe too soon" I mostly mean like maybe one month too soon. They spiked from making gently caress-all to making $700 in the last month and it seems like you'd want to wait for the spike to clearly be over.

White Chocolate posted:

As a writer I gotta ask what makes it better than the similar stuff? Better prose? 2 dimensional characters? Something it just lacks?

There sort of just isn't actually anything similar. Ling Qi is just a person in a Xianxia setting. There's nothing inherently special about her, and it's not a given that she'll be the main character of her own story. This isn't a good or bad thing on its own. It avoids a lot of the standard power fantasy things, which could be a plus or minus, and it doesn't have an overarching plot that everything is clearly building towards. The stories compared to it (including Fates Parallel) tend to be much closer structurally to a normal Xianxia story. If you like Forge of Destiny specifically because of the non-Xianxia parts, then the "similar" stories which are similar in that they're non-trash stories in a Xianxia setting will be disappointing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah the stuff most similar to Forge of Destiny isn't other xianxia works, it's poo poo like Now You Feel Like Number None

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What I like most about Forge of Destiny is that it has believable people behaving mostly reasonably. It is depressing how frequently all forms of media force characters to carry the idiot ball or otherwise act obviously contrary to their interests.

I’m starting to regret praising Fates Parallel. It takes a pretty sharp veer into nowhere pleasant with book 2 and just seems to be getting worse. I don’t think I am going to stick with it much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

I’m starting to regret praising Fates Parallel. It takes a pretty sharp veer into nowhere pleasant with book 2 and just seems to be getting worse. I don’t think I am going to stick with it much longer.
What do you mean?