Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just get some vaguely similar stock and do a couple practice runs, there's not a lot of complex steps involved in beveling an edge that an instruction video is gonna be able to fill you in on, you just need to get a feel for how it's gonna try to run away from you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Serenade posted:

That piece of laminated stock I wanted to trim up on a router table: I forgot that I have a 3d printer that can just uh, make jig specifically for what I need.

I also forgot that purpleheart is not fun to shape with a router! Got some tear out, undoing the surface I wanted to flatten. Scrap wood projects are always a learning project in one way or another. Back to the rasp.

3d printing to make router jigs is so much fun. My favourite one I've made so far is the circle jig that I did - it was a simple strip that basically just turned my router + a flush cut bit into a compass. I drilled a hole at my center, put a nail in to hold the jig in place, and then zooped a perfectly sized circle right from the middle. It felt really good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Never owned a router in my life and want to make my table look like more than some boards glued together.

I agree with A Wizard of Goatse on this -- you just need some practice and experience. Get some scrap wood, clamp it down, and do some practice passes. After reading the manual for the router, of course. The main thing about routers is to not try to remove too much material in each pass, because that can lead to the router getting bogged down and trying to grab and throw the piece (or itself, if the piece is secured).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ohhhh. You changed my life. Thanks. I always vaguely assumed that the stuff higher on the brush was wicking/seeping down.

Long bristles do give you some extra paint-holding, but their main function is to give you flex in the bristles. The longer they are, the more flex, which lets you do things like draw them out to a point, or have them flatter compared to the surface, or get them to fill in a corner, etc.

What they tend to do though is help you waste a bunch of extra paint as they wick it up into the bristles where it will not come back out: and if any gets under the ferrule, it tends to not wash out, dry, and in drying, spread the bristles out which causes the brush to splay, as well as forcing the ferrule open and just loosening it all up and being poo poo.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

For handheld routing, it might be worth it to make a somewhat larger base for your router, especially if it's a small trim router. Those little routers can get kind of tippy. But yeah, do some tests on some scrap, get a feel for the resistance, don't take too much off in one pass.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cool. I came into a Ryobi burshless handheld router, reviews seem to say that for a handheld it is pretty good. At this point I have spent more on poo poo to build this table than if I would have gone and gotten someone to build me one at this point. I'm fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have severe ADHD and being asked to "apply evenly, avoid touching and wait between coats" is ableist as gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

First pic of my anarchists workbench.

Right now I'm in the process of flattening the three bunches of 6 planks for the next glueup.

e. the ends are uneven because I aligned the plane snipe - I have it marked where I plan to cut it eventually

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 16, 2021

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I got surprisingly good results from my last couple of thick poly applications by using a wide, super fine artist's brush I grabbed at Hobby Lobby, then waving a torch over the handful of bubbles that showed up anyway. Even a year later, it still looks wet.

CommonShore posted:

First pic of my anarchists workbench.

Right now I'm in the process of flattening the three bunches of 6 planks for the next glueup.

e. the ends are uneven because I aligned the plane snipe - I have it marked where I plan to cut it eventually

Nice! I just finished the book, and I got bit by the bug, too. Post your progress, it's fun watching stuff take shape.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Anyone have a good vendor for beeswax? I don't trust Amazon on something like this.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Look around you for apiary supply places, assuming you're in a climate that has honeybees. That will always be the best bet. Same goes for online.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/more/beeswax
(as an example)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

poll plane variant posted:

Anyone have a good vendor for beeswax? I don't trust Amazon on something like this.

I found a local beekeeper and swapped cash for a big block outside a Walgreens like the silliest drug deal on the planet

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

I found a local beekeeper and swapped cash for a big block outside a Walgreens like the silliest drug deal on the planet

Is it good stuff?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Danhenge posted:

Same

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
You could check the local farmers markets. Mine often have people selling honey and beeswax.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Is it good stuff?

I don't have any basis for comparison but the beeswax and mineral oil combo i whipped up does a nice job on wood.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Danhenge posted:

I don't have any basis for comparison but the beeswax and mineral oil combo i whipped up does a nice job on wood.

That looks great, what was the ratio

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

poll plane variant posted:

That looks great, what was the ratio

Just 1:1 by weight. Protip: buy your mineral oil at a drug store, not a big box store.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok back to the chicken bedding mill to flatten out my big blocks to get a nice tight join for my work bench top.

Any tips for flattening an 8 foot long plank? Right now they're out by maybe 2-3 mm over the entire length, which feels tiny to me, but it's enough to cause a bad join.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Danhenge posted:

Just 1:1 by weight. Protip: buy your mineral oil at a drug store, not a big box store.

Yeah the laxative kind is exactly the same as the food grade kind right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the top is glue. I' had a bit of slippage between a couple of the chunks but I've used every clamp in my garage to correct them best I can, so I'll just have to do some jack plane work once it's dry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CommonShore posted:

ok back to the chicken bedding mill to flatten out my big blocks to get a nice tight join for my work bench top.

Any tips for flattening an 8 foot long plank? Right now they're out by maybe 2-3 mm over the entire length, which feels tiny to me, but it's enough to cause a bad join.

Is it just gently curved over 8 feet? How thick is the plank? If it's just a slight curve to a plank maybe 2" thick or less, there's no convenient way to get that perfectly flat, but also no need to: you can bend it into place when you glue up. If it's thicker than that, it might be too hard to just bend it flat.

When I say there's "no convenient way" to do it, I mean: you'd need an absurdly long hand plane, or an industrial sized huge rear end planer or drum sander, etc. For the home/garage shop, you'd instead have to just constantly measure, take a bit off, measure again, etc. and in my experience that just never really leads to a uniformly flat straight board over that kind of length.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

Is it just gently curved over 8 feet? How thick is the plank? If it's just a slight curve to a plank maybe 2" thick or less, there's no convenient way to get that perfectly flat, but also no need to: you can bend it into place when you glue up. If it's thicker than that, it might be too hard to just bend it flat.

When I say there's "no convenient way" to do it, I mean: you'd need an absurdly long hand plane, or an industrial sized huge rear end planer or drum sander, etc. For the home/garage shop, you'd instead have to just constantly measure, take a bit off, measure again, etc. and in my experience that just never really leads to a uniformly flat straight board over that kind of length.

these are the chunks posted above, where it's 6 2*6es laminated together already. I couldn't rely on them bending into shape at that thickness.

What I ended up doing was just going over it 2-3x with a combo square to make sure it was as square as possible relative to my reference side, and then running a 6 foot level down it a few times to trim it down with my no.5 and 25 inch jointer with extremely thin settings. They got as good as I was going to get them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahh, they're already glued up, OK. I was thinking individual boards.

Yeah with a big wide surface, you get your longest jointer and go for it I guess. Also it's nice to have a six foot level! My longest is 4' and it's already awkward to store.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

Ahh, they're already glued up, OK. I was thinking individual boards.

Yeah with a big wide surface, you get your longest jointer and go for it I guess. Also it's nice to have a six foot level! My longest is 4' and it's already awkward to store.

my 6 foot level is a piece of aluminium trash that I got from an auction as an add-on but it's straight and does the trick

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

My 6' level (all $15 of it from Harbor Freight) lives on top of the rack of 2x4s, so I am guaranteed to forget where it is when I need it. It's a great system.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anybody tried out (own or a friend owns) the Grizzly G1033X - 20" 5 HP Helical Cutterhead Planer?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-20-5-hp-helical-cutterhead-planer/g1033x

I've been looking for something to replace my dewalt 12.5" box planer which is honestly a piece of crap.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blistex posted:

Anybody tried out (own or a friend owns) the Grizzly G1033X - 20" 5 HP Helical Cutterhead Planer?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-20-5-hp-helical-cutterhead-planer/g1033x

I've been looking for something to replace my dewalt 12.5" box planer which is honestly a piece of crap.

I've got an old 2HP Delta 15" beast which does everything I need and is a definite step up from a lunchbox planer, but that one skips on up to industrial league beast. If you can afford it, get it.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Whoever told me to use a bushing to stabilize a big bit was right on the money, ended up using a 3d printed template with a cylindrical guide and it held my hole saw straight until it could really dig in to these maple boards and then it was off to the races.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
My local health food store sold 5lb organic blocks cheap.

It's a pain in the rear end to chop though (And get off the knife after).

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Toast posted:

My local health food store sold 5lb organic blocks cheap.

It's a pain in the rear end to chop though (And get off the knife after).

Yeah i think I nicked a finger doing it. I'd probably use like a bread knife and a sawing motion in the future.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hot wire, my dudes. Just shim up the opposite side a little, so your chunk falls off instead of sticking back to the block.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Knee deep in a cold smoker project and finally got off my rear end and ordered some more clamps to make assembling the frame more doable.

Remember: ABC

Always
Be
Clamping

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

First chapter of the work bench is finished: the fucker is glued and flattened. As a bonus I'm including a picture of my in progress planer stop and my 3d printed poor man's router.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CommonShore posted:

First chapter of the work bench is finished: the fucker is glued and flattened. As a bonus I'm including a picture of my in progress planer stop and my 3d printed poor man's router.

I feel like I should make myself a toothed thingy to go on top of my planing stop, but I'd also get super nervous about having a chunk of iron right in front of where my plane is always moving.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the iron part is supposed to dig into the endgrain, well below the surface of the board you're planing - but also it doesn't have to be iron, if you want you can use wood, it'll just gradually deform and so you may need to resurface or replace that bit occasionally.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SimonSays posted:

I feel like I should make myself a toothed thingy to go on top of my planing stop, but I'd also get super nervous about having a chunk of iron right in front of where my plane is always moving.

The plan for this is that I'm countersinking the screws that will hold it in place and making sure that it's recessed far enough into t he block that I have an extra layer of avoiding the plane irons.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was drawing different workbenches in Fusion 360 for CAD practice and looking at some numbers and made a kind of surprising discovery: a similarly sized (in this case, all 120"L x 30"W x 33"H) English/Nicholson bench with beefed up top/aprons (7/8" board glued to inside of 1.75" top/aprons) is heavier and takes more wood than a Roubo with a 3.75" thick top. Without those 7/8” thick additions the Nicholson is a bit smaller/lighter than the Roubo, but only by about 15%. I had thought the English bench would be much more substantially lighter/less materials, but I guess between the big aprons and internal stiffeners it's not really.

I was lazy and didn't draw all the joints or individual boards but I'm getting marginally better at CAD:

E: I realized I drew the English bench with the parts being 1.75" thick, as if from the 8/4 stock I had planned to use. Redrawing it with 1 3/8" stock for dressed dimensional 2x stock like Schwarz assumes and it is more as I expected. The English bench without 1x stiffeners is ~35% lighter/less materials than a Roubo of similar size, and with the stiffeners it's still ~10% lighter than the Roubo. Still not quite as drastically lighter/cheaper as I had thought, but definitely a significant difference, and the english bench would certainly be a whole lot less work than a roubo, especially for a hand tool person. Since I would be buying full 8/4 stuff though, I'm not sure there really is much of a material cost savings for the English bench, but I haven't made a full cutlist for either yet. I expect the roubo may actually wind up cheaper since it is all 2x8's and 2x6s, whereas I would used 2x10's for the english bench and they are a bit more expensive per bf than the narrower stuff, but would save on labor, and oh god the cycle of optimal workbench design continues to circle.

I spent a few hours today using my benchtop with sandpaper clamped down almost as a surface plate to get 2 halves of an octagon to meet together and was really appreciating having a large, very flat (for a woodworker) surface. I wonder if an English bench with boards on face would stay as flat? Pretty hard to beat a big glued lamination for stability.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 21, 2021

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bit of a weird question: I have a dead walnut tree at the back of my property that is going to be removed at some point in the near future. I can have it split up for firewood, but I'm wondering if this is something that somebody into woodworking could use. Trunk is about 15', so could easily be cut down whole (branches will be removed and those are going to the woodpile). The wood itself is in good condition, we're too dry/cold for termites and the woodpeckers leave it alone leaving me to believe it's bug-free. Is this the sort of thing a woodworker might be interested in/able to use? Unless this would be something worth thousands of dollars it'd be "come pick it up, you can have it" sort of deal. If it is worth thousands of dollars I'd still list it but use the profit to offset the cost of cutting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Most of the value in wood is from the labor of turning trees into boards, so you're not going to make money from this. But if you put the word out on Craigslist (or whatever folks use these days, I haven't kept up) then you might find someone with a portable sawmill who's interested. The benefits to you are a) they'll take most of the tree away for you, and b) if you ask nicely you might get a slab or two out of it.