Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squid Game is not kidding about how fragile these things are

Edit: I might post a thread about making these

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

What is it? Haven't seen that show. Is it peanut brittle without the nuts?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

What is it? Haven't seen that show. Is it peanut brittle without the nuts?

Dalgona, aka bbopki, aka honeycomb toffee

In Korea a street vendor would make them with shapes pressed into them like a star or heart. If you could pop out the shape cleanly then the vendor would usually give you a second one free

In Squid Game, one of the death games is doing this with armed guards ready to shoot you if you messed up

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Squid Game is Not My Thing but I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about dalonga

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Oh well then if you never heard the racial epithet used then it must not be one

I don't believe I said anything like that. I said it was regional.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Please do, and link it here please! I love making honeycomb, though usually I aim for the lower end where it gets much taller / airy so I'd like to see something about the more caramelized thin style.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Dalgona, aka bbopki, aka honeycomb toffee

In Korea a street vendor would make them with shapes pressed into them like a star or heart. If you could pop out the shape cleanly then the vendor would usually give you a second one free

In Squid Game, one of the death games is doing this with armed guards ready to shoot you if you messed up

That's awesome, I'd love to hear more about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's kind of cheating, but- given that the month is half over already, how about "Forums > Discussion > Kitchen Nightmares IRL"?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Or "Forums > Discussion > Microwaved Fish

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Goons With Spoons and a smudge in the background that looks kinda like a ghost

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Goons With Spoons and a smudge in the background that looks kinda like a chickencheese

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Gruesome White Secretions, although we'd probably have to change the thread title

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My work has a health nut who toaster ovens fish in his office 2-3 times a week for breakfast.... Also often has it for lunch, and is always drinking turmeric smoothies. Got a promotion this spring that moved me away from outside of his office, back to next to our vehicle bay doors. It's a loving improvement to sit 20 feet from where 40 garbage trucks park.
(I herd city garbage truck drivers)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

My work has a health nut who toaster ovens fish in his office 2-3 times a week for breakfast.... Also often has it for lunch, and is always drinking turmeric smoothies.
:barf:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Decided to make some sour mix because I've never been a huge fan of the commercial stuff with all the sugar and neon green etc. Squeezed about 8 lemons and 8 limes, sans citrus juicer (no I don't have a good reason for not owning one), and got about 3-4 cocktails out of it. I realize its on me to do the math of 1 cp juice + 1 1/3 cup syrup = an absolute bullshit amount of mix but I'm still salty about it. Anyway, what's a good brand of commercial sour mix with a high level of sour?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just juice to order, OP. Unless you really like the taste of artificial / real-but-tons-of-preservatives sour mix, the quality difference with fresh is huge.

If you do prefer the flavor of sour mix, I'd also recommend making oleo saccharum which is distinct, flavorful without being as sour as fresh juice, and can be added alongside citrus juice or in recipes which call for it. I guarantee you think it's worth the effort.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Plus oleo saccharum sounds like some kind of vile discharge so you can gross out your guests

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Decided to make some sour mix because I've never been a huge fan of the commercial stuff with all the sugar and neon green etc. Squeezed about 8 lemons and 8 limes, sans citrus juicer (no I don't have a good reason for not owning one), and got about 3-4 cocktails out of it. I realize its on me to do the math of 1 cp juice + 1 1/3 cup syrup = an absolute bullshit amount of mix but I'm still salty about it. Anyway, what's a good brand of commercial sour mix with a high level of sour?

Just get one of these. It took me about 5 minutes to get 2 cups of juice last time I did lemon bars. I was getting a solid 1/4cup from each mediocre lemon.

Just zest first, and put the citrus halves in upside down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I must say I was convinced by the "don't marinade, nothing penetrates but salt and acid" camp for quite some time but this guy has changed my mind.

Like I always knew salt and acid did something (see buttermilk chicken) but now I will legit flavor my meats a day in advance, with more than just a dry brine. Neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1X0RP3Mfw

Have I been taken for a fool again or does this seem as legit to you as it does to me?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

I must say I was convinced by the "don't marinade, nothing penetrates but salt and acid" camp for quite some time but this guy has changed my mind.

Like I always knew salt and acid did something (see buttermilk chicken) but now I will legit flavor my meats a day in advance, with more than just a dry brine. Neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1X0RP3Mfw

Have I been taken for a fool again or does this seem as legit to you as it does to me?

I also quite like the vacuum marinade bucket I have. Really speeds up the process.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Just juice to order, OP. Unless you really like the taste of artificial / real-but-tons-of-preservatives sour mix, the quality difference with fresh is huge.

If you do prefer the flavor of sour mix, I'd also recommend making oleo saccharum which is distinct, flavorful without being as sour as fresh juice, and can be added alongside citrus juice or in recipes which call for it. I guarantee you think it's worth the effort.

The quality difference is amazing, but the amount of fruit : number of cocktails ratio is economically unsound. I'm not making sour mix because I'm drinking good whiskey. Punch may be the solution here. I still have a healthy amount of lemons and limes left, so I'll give it a try.

Doom Rooster posted:

Just get one of these. It took me about 5 minutes to get 2 cups of juice last time I did lemon bars. I was getting a solid 1/4cup from each mediocre lemon.

Its on the christmas list, or something similar I guess, I think you forgot the link. Hopefully it helps with my fruit : cocktail problem.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 15, 2021

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

Goons With Spoons and a smudge in the background that looks kinda like a ghost

This was a missed opportunity for a temporary forum name

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The quality difference is amazing, but the amount of fruit : number of cocktails ratio is economically unsound. I'm not making sour mix because I'm drinking good whiskey. Punch may be the solution here. I still have a healthy amount of lemons and limes left, so I'll give it a try.

Its on the christmas list, or something similar I guess, I think you forgot the link. Hopefully it helps with my fruit : cocktail problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Rated-Zulay-Premium-Quality-Squeezer/dp/B00YBP918M?th=1

If you still bitch and moan after using one of those $15 ones you can get a $65 that does the same thing but sits on the counter instead. Or just buy that lovely lemon and lime juice in bottles off the shelf and use that cause it will still taste better than sour mix.

There is no good sour mix.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

For those curious, here's what it sounds like, https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jt8iNV5qr2iaSqn9

So asking for myself again, I'm finding the ball lock only slowly filling the bottles, it's not a quick process to inflate the bottle. Is that likely an issue with the ball lock, the set up, user error? I don't think I have much in the way of leaks anymore. I've just heard people say the bottle pops and I don't have that effect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carillon posted:

So asking for myself again, I'm finding the ball lock only slowly filling the bottles, it's not a quick process to inflate the bottle. Is that likely an issue with the ball lock, the set up, user error? I don't think I have much in the way of leaks anymore. I've just heard people say the bottle pops and I don't have that effect.

Do you have a beer regulator that maxes out at like 15 psi?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

His regulator looks fine (from earlier post)

Your pressure selector looks fine, you're opening the last valve fine. Best I can guess is that you're using an aeration stone but that's 100% not needed for CO2, or your dip tube is too long and sealing against the bottom of the bottle?

If that's not it, can you video your whole setup when trying to carb a bottle?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

drat, I did skip the link! Sorry! The best brand is Chef’n. Get the lemon model. It handles both lemons and limes perfectly. The lime is too small for lemons.

Chef'n (Lemon) FreshForce Citrus Juicer, 10.25 long https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XOB0P0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3N0TJYJDTPC73SMV677Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It’s super sturdy, and does a great job, super fast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Goon friends, I need more eggplant options. Our plants have been crazy productive this year, and it's not ending. I've given away baskets full. I've made all the fish fragrant eggplant I can stand. I am baba ghanoushed. I want no more parmesan in my life. Curried out. Help me please come up with some more things to do with this crazy over-abundance. Especially stew type things that are on the lower effort side.

This shot is from this morning - 12 eggplants. I'm getting this every two days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Goon friends, I need more eggplant options. Our plants have been crazy productive this year, and it's not ending. I've given away baskets full. I've made all the fish fragrant eggplant I can stand. I am baba ghanoushed. I want no more parmesan in my life. Curried out. Help me please come up with some more things to do with this crazy over-abundance. Especially stew type things that are on the lower effort side.

How about eggplant stuffed with beef and stuff?
https://www.themediterraneandish.com/stuffed-eggplant-with-spiced-ground-beef-and-bulgur/

Or roasted eggplant in oil/balsamic on sandwiches, possibly with roasted red peppers as well?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That episode of Good Eats where Alton's neighbor is trying to give him a wheelbarrow full

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Moussaka is nice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

Or roasted eggplant in oil/balsamic on sandwiches, possibly with roasted red peppers as well?

It's this, OP! https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-eggplant-and-pickled-beet-sandwiches

Also pasta alla norma https://eatboutique.com/2014/10/08/fettucini-alla-norma/

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Moussaka preps and freezes well. Stack the freezer with disposable roasting trays of moussaka.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Cook them with onions, garlic, black/green lentils and ras el hanout.

That is a shitload you’ve got to get through.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All good options. Thanks!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

This post made me make lemon bars. I hope you're happy.

Because I totally am, thanks!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Same Great Paste posted:

This post made me make lemon bars. I hope you're happy.

Because I totally am, thanks!

Hell yeah I’m happy! Enjoy! If I were forced to pick only one dessert for the rest of my life, lemon bars might be it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Baingan bharta.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can one make pickles or kimchi(or whatever form of preserving vegetables you prefer) from Eggplant cause that might be an avenue to go down

Also got my own question for the thread, my aunt just gave me and my mom one of those Ninja brand air fryer ovens after using it literally once(which my mom believes she did solely to justify giving it to her as a "used" item), anything especially interesting I can do with one of these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Hell yeah I’m happy! Enjoy! If I were forced to pick only one dessert for the rest of my life, lemon bars might be it.

I've never actually had a lemon bar before. They are still cooling - I'm very excited.

E holy poo poo that’s good

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 17, 2021