Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm in a very convenient boat where I have one kid between 5-12 and a second that won't be 5 for another four months.

it doesn't do me much functional good to get one vaxxed and not the other so if it takes until January for approval it is all the same to me.

There's no way there isn't at least a month between 5-12 approval and 6mo-4 year approval so the sooner the first happens the sooner the second happens.

Edit: oh wait I realized you mean your other one will turn 5, well nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1449566400159395842

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait so its gonna force mutations within the virus itself? So if enough people take it, they are gonna create a virus that will eventually mutate to be far more spreadable and deadly?

Nah, too much mutation and you break it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thank god covid relaxes on the weekend so we can have a little fun

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

fosborb posted:

oh word, MOHELA? I have to confirm my auto debit information again because covid is over and dems didnt do gently caress all about student debt this year?

exciting!

:same:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Oh cool three quarters of the deaths stopped

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Real Mean Queen posted:

Today is Saturday, and that number is more deaths than last Saturday. Cases have been dropping, though, so deaths will be trending down.

This thread was so much fun when the US Army and the Council of States National Guard were having standoffs on airport tarmac over medical supplies. It felt like something good had a chance of happening. Now it's clear that nothing is going to change and the US is going to have an additional 400,000 awful preventable deaths every year forever. Unless things get worse.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Until things get worse

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

No issues at all getting a third shot, I can already feel the nanomachines strengthening.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what kind of superpowers will i get from taking the mutation pill

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Everyone enjoying the last month before covid season starts again in two weeks?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Chamale posted:

Today is Saturday, and that number is more deaths than last Saturday. Cases have been dropping, though, so deaths will be trending down.

This thread was so much fun when the US Army and the Council of States National Guard were having standoffs on airport tarmac over medical supplies. It felt like something good had a chance of happening. Now it's clear that nothing is going to change and the US is going to have an additional 400,000 awful preventable deaths every year forever. Unless things get worse.

Give it a month. Once it gets too cold to be outside and early delta immunity fades it's gonna be rough.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

achieving stack overflow on carcinogens to unlock True Immortality

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

we will live lovely forever

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

covid season is a thing we'll all have to live with for the rest of our lives because the government refuses to piss off toothless chuds afraid of getting a shot at cvs

max your titers. nobody will save you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zeriel posted:

covid season is a thing we'll all have to live with for the rest of our lives because the government refuses to piss off toothless chuds afraid of getting a shot at cvs

max your titers. nobody will save you.

covid season: runs from Jan 1 to December 31

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm in a very convenient boat where I have one kid between 5-12 and a second that won't be 5 for another four months.

it doesn't do me much functional good to get one vaxxed and not the other so if it takes until January for approval it is all the same to me.

my son is almost 7 so we'll be camping outside CVS the day that they announce he can get a vaccine

but my daughter is 3 and a half and my wife and everyone else keeps telling me it would be a terrible idea to try and lie about her age to get her a shot but uhhh i dunno. she's in daycare during the week the sooner i can get her titers maxed it will be like massive weight off my shoulders

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Real Mean Queen posted:

everyone knows covid stops working at 5:00 on fridays

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
none of what we're experiencing is sustainable. we've dropped from a peak of 132k hospitalized before triage and full ICUs to barely 100k hospitalized and all hell breaking loose with full hospitals, triage, etc. we are burning out and destroying our healthcare workforce. people can shrug and say it's endemic and this is the way it will be but i don't think they realize that for 75% of the year getting in a car accident or having an infected appendix is now nearly a death sentence

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone made this fake movie trailer over a decade ago which somehow perfectly describes Open Biden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CY_HGl6W2U
lol this is loving brilliant
it's sums up the past 15 months perfectly my god lmaoooooooo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zeriel posted:

gonna get a haircut this week for sure
i got my last one just when the masks got ripped off in may

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

none of what we're experiencing is sustainable. we've dropped from a peak of 132k hospitalized before triage and full ICUs to barely 100k hospitalized and all hell breaking loose with full hospitals, triage, etc. we are burning out and destroying our healthcare workforce. people can shrug and say it's endemic and this is the way it will be but i don't think they realize that for 75% of the year getting in a car accident or having an infected appendix is now nearly a death sentence

There will come a point where antivirals and Regeneron are reserved for the unvaccinated, and vaccinated people will be denied care for breakthrough infections because “you’re vaccinated”

And then the vaccinated dying en masse will amplify the chud talking point that vaccines cause death

Things can only get dumber

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Insanite posted:

lol at nudging back pediatric vaccine discussions just because

gently caress this country

on a related note:

https://twitter.com/HZiauddeen/status/1449009117230768133?s=20

Shyfted One posted:

That twitter thread really captured this thread
yeah that twitter thread is a good read

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol as we all expected

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

the contrast from friday to saturday numbers, i lol every time

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Insanite posted:

on a related note:

I believe what he is describing is called a :crackping:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Zeriel posted:

Nope!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Insanite posted:

on a related note:

This is like my third or fourth time getting morally injured into a fine paste by modern society and America in particular.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

It's my impression that for the majority of Americans interacting with your healthcare system is already practically a death sentence, maybe not immediately but probably in the future when you're homeless and destitute. Like all things the wealthy will be mostly insulated from the negative effects of covid, and the rest of us will just suffer and die but nothing is going to be done about it, just like nothing has been done about any of the hundred other wretched injustices we all suffer through every day. We're absolutely over the 'peak' of human civilization, dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

eric postin some old time lols
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1449497912573054976

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Two hours today now, still no seal. If I hadn't gotten a perfect seal easily twice earlier this week I'd think the medium just doesn't fit me. It's fogging up now all of a sudden too when I try, I don't understand what's happening.

Are you guys just breathing normally for the check or blowing with any sort of force?

Reset the strap and start over. Don't panic, you've already had the mask sealing just fine. Start by holding the mask to your face with one hand, adjusting the position until it feels like there's good contact. Then use the pressure check button to ensure that's a good position. Once you get a good pressure check by pressing the button hard, start doing a pressure check by breathing in at a normal intake level, and slowly depressing the button. There should be a range where the button is lightly depressed and the seal valve is making a wheezing, buzzing, or whistling sound. Keep going past that, but just a bit. You want to pressing hard enough on the pressure check button to seal off the air intake valve, but not hard enough to change the fit of the mask. When you're doing a check with the mask held on by straps, you may need to apply a little opposing force with the hand pressing the button. I put that thumb under the chin of the mask and pull away from my face slightly. Just enough to match the force on the button, which is why you should know how much force to apply to the button for a seal check

Once the mask is in a good spot, secure the neck strap around your neck and lightly and evenly adjust it until the strap become snug. Again, not too tight, the neck strap is there to keep the bottom of the mask from bouncing away from your face, or drooping down when you move. After that, take the mask off and place it back on, using the halo head strap as usual this time. Then, hold the mask in place again and tighten the head strap evenly and slowly until the mask feels like it's in a good spot, and connect the neck straps. Do some fine tuning, but the neck straps shouldn't need to get much tighter. And don't get them so tight that they hurt, or so that they lever the top of the mask away from your face by pulling on the bottom of the mask.

Test your fit by pushing the button just hard enough to seal off the air intake, as described above. Once you get a good fit, the straps shouldn't need to be adjusted much after each use. The halo strap supports most of the weight, while the neck strap keeps the bottom of the mask against your face. Neither of them should be uncomfortably tight, twisted, or fouled.

Also, using an N95 in a car with the windows down is perfectly fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded my eye protection this weekend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

San Francisco’s light rail

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gradenko_2000 posted:

I upgraded my eye protection this weekend

(also sweet rig!)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No curfew for the first time in months, guys, can you believe it?! I can go out.... at night!

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1449644198940975107?t=6y28fPSAytCSzqnCg_t76w&s=19

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Not really dealing with the meat of the article, as we have talked about that extensively and in more detail than an article that quotes Monica Gandhi. But this was interesting. We may have literally wiped out a flu lineage:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/is-a-twindemic-of-flu-and-covid-19-about-to-hit-the-us posted:

Is a 'twindemic' of flu and COVID-19 about to hit the U.S.?
Experts warn that the U.S. is ripe for a severe influenza outbreak in the coming months, making vaccination against both diseases more important than ever.
(..)
The current shot contains two updates from last year’s version, and experts are hopeful they’ve chosen the right players. And in a potentially positive twist, the monitoring revealed that one branch of B viruses belonging to the Yamagata lineage seems to have died out during the 2020-21 season.

“It’s possible we haven’t looked carefully enough and it’s lurking somewhere,” says Peter Palese, chair of the microbiology department at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York. “But it would be extraordinary if that branch died out, because we’d be back to a trivalent vaccine that’s cheaper to make.”

It’s not yet clear why a particular virus would become extinct, but experts have some hypotheses.

“We have four influenza viral types, and usually only one dominates at any one time,” says Webby, who’s also a virologist at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis. “Periods of low flow activity, when we’re wearing masks and social distancing, make it harder for viruses to find another host to infect, so they may die out.”
(..)
Just goes to show what could have been accomplished (and also that it is mostly rich countries driving the spread).

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

3rd ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

When our old buddies at the IHME start doomposting you know that poo poo is about to hit the fan. Also it's hilarious that their super scary model is just labeled "Worse". :v:

I'm also waiting for the Covid-19 Scenario Modeling Hub to post their Round 10 scenarios, they've been MIA for over 6 weeks now: https://covid19scenariomodelinghub.org/viz.html