Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

navyjack posted:

Edit:
Actual content: I think the series crawls up its own rear end a bit, but the sheer weirdness of the world-building really cuts a lot of slack. It really does remind me a lot of The Culture books which is why I don’t mind the sprawl and excess.

Yeah; even as someone who really likes the series, it definitely is a bit up itself (and would probably benefit from a pro editing it.) But the good outweighs that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

Cardiac posted:

Too bad all that fluff is in a book which is utterly boring. It is like the author thought that a storyline is not needed compared to world building, making Sanderson appear as Dostoyevsky in comparison. I have read RPG manuals with better stories.

Oh, and the amount of effort put into promoting a self published author here is fascinating.

Having a reasoned discussion about a series of books that are infamously hard to parse isn't promotion. You might just be a dick!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

im ursula leguin, buy my books!!

Ed: i mean i am NOT ursula leguin

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 15, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJZT8GJ/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Should I read "Stormbringer"?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hmmm, Iron Widow has my attention

https://twitter.com/ragbonehair/status/1448665056606965761

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

Haha, that's amazing. I did really enjoy the book, and definitely will be keeping an eye out on her work from here out. I wish I did have it in physical though instead of Kindle as the art is great! I specifically bought Phoenix extravagant in physical for that reason.

Disclaimer: I am also not the author as I've now commented about this book twice recently!

Injera fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 15, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawman 0 posted:

If you mean Moorcock's novel, yes, you should. It's a tremendous piece of apocalyptic fiction.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

If you mean Moorcock's novel, yes, you should. It's a tremendous piece of apocalyptic fiction.

Yeah.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

shirunei posted:

Having a reasoned discussion about a series of books that are infamously hard to parse isn't promotion. You might just be a dick!

I'm pretty sure he's just mad that nobody talks about his own self-published stuff. It couldn't be a difference in quality, nah, definitely guerilla marketing at work!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

He thought it was 'interesting' that the left dislikes Richard Morgan despite his anticapitalism and then didn't answer when people explained Morgan is a TERF. Interesting that he drops these remarks and then doesn't respond to any follow-up! Almost like some kind of troll.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Yes. I'd suggest reading all the original Elric series, but I think Stormbringer stands by itself well enough.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Moorcock's Elric books are up there with Glen Cook's Black Company and William Gibson's Neuromancer in terms of "Once you read them you will see their influence everywhere". If you do read them and ever find yourself going "Hey, this is just like <Other Fantasy Series>", you've got it backwards and they're just like Elric.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iron Widow was indeed a lot of fun. Definitely gave me big Red Rising vibes - only, y'know, set in future-China rather than future-Rome. I assume An Lushan isn't going to stay dead - he still needs to live up to his namesake.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Iron Widow was indeed a lot of fun. Definitely gave me big Red Rising vibes - only, y'know, set in future-China rather than future-Rome. I assume An Lushan isn't going to stay dead - he still needs to live up to his namesake.

I figure that because it’s future scifi China and he literally lives in her brain now he’ll get Rex’s at some point.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819W1L1W/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

eke out posted:

all the discussion of how their laws have needed to change to allow the ongoing existence do make me wonder what's going to happen when they reencounter the original commonweal, whether those folks are still around and going to see the horrifying hivemind featuring an entelech and a couple nascent gods and react poorly

Commonweal spoiler (well, speculation):
I predict extremely poorly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont posted:

Commonweal spoiler (well, speculation):
I predict extremely poorly.

Yeah I'm excited to see where that goes. The main Commonweal already didn't use focuses and low-sorcery type stuff nearly as much as the Creeks even before the split, and most (all?) of the powerful conservative mages are in the original one. But the way the Commonweals are set up makes it really awkward for anyone who isn't a Line unit or carrying a limited token to leave, so maybe they just straight up won't have anything but rare, sporadic contact.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
This prompted me to check on e-book versions of Elric again, and they're finally getting released (in February), so at least I'll get them eventually.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Red Rising sequels worth reading if I was kinda iffy on the first one?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

smackfu posted:

Depends on why you were iffy, the writing’s not better but they’re less hunger games-ish

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smackfu posted:

The first book was setup for the gigantic space-opera revolutionary war, the second two books actually deliver. The second trilogy has so far covered the counter-revolution where just about everything goes to poo poo. So if you're on board for that, you'll get what you want.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The first book was setup for the gigantic space-opera revolutionary war, the second two books actually deliver. The second trilogy has so far covered the counter-revolution where just about everything goes to poo poo. So if you're on board for that, you'll get what you want.

I liked them a lot more, they're a a bit silly, lots of bildungsroman mixed with faux Rome and 40k levels of violence.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Finished Hummingbird Salamander and honestly I’d probably skip it if you’re on the fence. It’s basically a dystopian detective novel set in the near future, the narrator abandons her family and career for the thinnest sketch of a mystery, and the final reveal just isn’t big enough to justify the rest of it.

Made it through KSR’s Red Mars (third attempt I think?) - it gets better after they actually make it to Mars and start spreading out from the initial base. Funny how things like watching live TV seem so quaint now after just a few years of streaming/on demand services.
Any opinions on Blue/Green Mars?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Red Rising is surprising good considering how Hunger Games/generic YA the first one skews with the death games and caste system.

I had to enjoy the first one part-ironically, but 2 and 3 are genuinely good space opera about overthrowing genemodded space rome.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Finished Hummingbird Salamander and honestly I’d probably skip it if you’re on the fence. It’s basically a dystopian detective novel set in the near future, the narrator abandons her family and career for the thinnest sketch of a mystery, and the final reveal just isn’t big enough to justify the rest of it.

Made it through KSR’s Red Mars (third attempt I think?) - it gets better after they actually make it to Mars and start spreading out from the initial base. Funny how things like watching live TV seem so quaint now after just a few years of streaming/on demand services.
Any opinions on Blue/Green Mars?

Sax really comes into his own as a viewpoint character in Green Mars. I'm iffy on Blue Mars but it gives some semblance of emotional closure to the characters.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

otoh I really loved The Killing, the first season of which is basically exactly this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's the new Cradle? I vaguely recall soon, ish.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When's the new Cradle? I vaguely recall soon, ish.

November 2nd

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Great news!

Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff VanderMeer - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088DPRZPJ/

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYI9C4/

Old Man's War by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SEIK2S/

Middlegame by Seanan McGuire - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HF2ZK75/

The Word for World Is Forest by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U2TR6I/

Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV95CWZ/

Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0879FRJ9X/

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #1) by Brian Staveley - 2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCQQCX6/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I agree with this summary, I just never got the motivation from her at all given what was presented, although a friend questioned her faithfulness as a narrator and that gives some additional nuance to the thing. Sucks because I have loved everything else by him I've read so far.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just finished Inhibitor Phase.

Pouring one out for the good but extremely naughty ship Nostalgia for Infinity

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally getting to K.J. Parker's Shadow after buying it on sale forever ago and I'm realizing it's literally Candide, are th other two books in the series patterned after famous treatises too?

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

I agree with this summary, I just never got the motivation from her at all given what was presented, although a friend questioned her faithfulness as a narrator and that gives some additional nuance to the thing. Sucks because I have loved everything else by him I've read so far.

I really like VanDerMeer's style and the atmosphere he brings into his works, but from Borne onwards I have kept waiting for his next book to be an absolute masterpiece and been underwhelmed in one way or another. That being said, I genuinely think VanDerMeer has a masterpiece in him still.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hey I don't know if anyone here goes to TOR.com, but apparently they've been owned and are actively trying to download malware onto visiting browsers, so maybe don't go there right now.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Hey I don't know if anyone here goes to TOR.com, but apparently they've been owned and are actively trying to download malware onto visiting browsers, so maybe don't go there right now.

It’s just their free ebook of the month program

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

god drat

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

First 6 books of Will Wight's Cradle series are all free.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753FP6SP/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Red Rising is surprising good considering how Hunger Games/generic YA the first one skews with the death games and caste system.

I had to enjoy the first one part-ironically, but 2 and 3 are genuinely good space opera about overthrowing genemodded space rome.

Thanks all, will give the second one a shot. Mainly didn’t like the first one once it got to the endless hunger games thing.