Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
God damnit not-togashi, not like this. This is such a horrible spot to have cliffhangers at. Go biweekly if you have to!

Brownieftw fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Turns out years of putting out absurd amounts of full color comics primarily drawn by one guy on a horrifying weekly schedule have negative effects.

Also yeah I just don't understand how they don't have a proofreader just giving a little bit of syntax to the translation. It's pretty preposterously bad. All it would take is any native english speaker going over it a couple hours before release and making some minor typsetting edits.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-89/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=507

ok this got dark fast..

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It actually got me to read ahead a chapter because I was getting sick and tired of this psycopathic fuckwit waiting around to get owned, and boy howdy does the next chapter do so in the most perfect way possible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is that site two chapters behind/is that the official release?

Also Khun is a clever guy but idk if he thought this White resurrection thing all the way through.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 19, 2021

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

Is that site two chapters behind/is that the official release?

The series is actually 3 chapters ahead but they are locked behind a paywall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a better / more natural English translation than the Webtoons one? Paid is fine, there have just been some really jarring moments lately where characters in the middle of a pitched emotional battle talk like a walking thesaurus.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah I bought the incoming issues, too. It's pretty fuckin rad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a better / more natural English translation than the Webtoons one? Paid is fine, there have just been some really jarring moments lately where characters in the middle of a pitched emotional battle talk like a walking thesaurus.

There is s fannscan that is a think 4 ahead of the fast pass but the image quality is bad and the translation the same. They constantly refer to white when he is talking about himself as "his majesty" which might be correct but it reads horribly

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jose posted:

There is s fannscan that is a think 4 ahead of the fast pass but the image quality is bad and the translation the same. They constantly refer to white when he is talking about himself as "his majesty" which might be correct but it reads horribly

Disappointed that isn’t in the official translation because it fits the character so well.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
White constantly calling himself His Majesty is actually the best part of that translation though

yeah it's goofy and very fan translation but when the official version is so awful it's actually charming

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is the official translation bad? Last time I looked up fan translations of this they were borderline unreadable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ethiser posted:

Is the official translation bad? Last time I looked up fan translations of this they were borderline unreadable.

most of the time it's fine but lately it's been noticeably stilted. it's comprehensible, i've seen much worse, but it's not up to the standards of, like, previous seasons of the same comic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
i guess english is kind of a high demand skill so it's probably hard to retain talent.

'his majesty' should probably be translated using the royal plural and/or singular. so like "One's attack isn't so easily blocked. You should know Our sword never misses." or something. i like the goofiness because hey the grammar isn't even reliably correct in the official release right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently all of the stuff on webtoons.com has freelancer translations who have to work for speed more than anything else. The essence of bravery is supposed the really be the essence of nothingness

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Jose posted:

Apparently all of the stuff on webtoons.com has freelancer translations who have to work for speed more than anything else. The essence of bravery is supposed the really be the essence of nothingness

Yeah, I think the literal version is close to "essence of mu." Which of course is connected to Buddha nature. But in Knight Run's clumsy translation, priest dude describes Prey's power as arising from "her karma, 'mu'" which I guess also can mean "killing spirit" in maybe sort of the sense of being perfectly receptive/reactive and non-attached (with one notable exception). Anyhow I know like one or two of you read Knight Run (or the translated prologue).

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Reading Knight Run is suffering, every year or two some group will pick it up, translate for a while and then drop it again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nimby posted:

This story is going to stop with a cliffhanger where Bam is seemingly about to kill Anaak for an arbitrary reason, the SIU's body will completely give up and we'll never get an ending.

A chapter suddenly ends with Rak talking and then suddenly Baam's arm runs him through from behind. The series is never updated again.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Junkozeyne posted:

Reading Knight Run is suffering, every year or two some group will pick it up, translate for a while and then drop it again.

i knew someone would understand :unsmith:

okay read the chapter on fast pass a bit late because I was low on coins. between the translation being much more serviceable this time and the stuff that was cut from the scans to remain tolerable to the people with lawyers, it was way better in the official translation this time.

red thryssa chilling on the opposite side of the abyss from blue

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 20, 2021

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-90/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=508

I haven't read ahead because if I start doing it just once, I'd have to keep doing it forever. Thus, my speculation may already be answered for the people who do read fast pass updates.

Is Bam now copying spells? We know he's a power sponge, just about effortlessly incorporating new sources of power. He's also nearly immediately learns any ability used to attack him. He neutralises spells he comes into contact with, but could that be because he siphons the magic into himself? He ate the time magic and now he's autopiloting some time shenanigans.

The best way to power up Bam might be to just point a magic laser at him and keep firing until he's full.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not quite that simple. You'd also need a second laser that shoots trauma.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pretty sad that Baam had to be powered up through wishing he could have never met his friends :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The real gently caress you would be if he could do a localized mass resurrection of the people White specifically has killed. Obviously too overpowered to do so on just anything but as a one-timer that'd be a great turn.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
fastpass: Unless something really bad happens, white seems to be pretty much hosed. :allears:
Is it sunday yet? I want to know what happens and I don't want to read the worse translations aaaaaaaaaaa.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Pretty sad that Baam had to be powered up through wishing he could have never met his friends :smith:

Yeah being the main character sucks sometimes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

local boy so depressed he turns into cher

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-91/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=509

I've enjoyed this greater emphasis on spectacle and huge spanning panels for the fights.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what's going on but the artwork is spectacular.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Baam was trying to save his desperate power up to save Jin Sung but, well, ya done hosed up White.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

But what are the consequences? He has like 30 things other than the million souls (lol) sequestered in himself, it’ll be too Deus ex machina if there aren’t repercussions

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

We've got the Thyrssas, the Souls, and the Thorns. And I suppose Black March. This seemed to be triggered by the second Thorn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wonder when the story will ever get around to the other thorns

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Jose posted:

i wonder when the story will ever get around to the other thorns

Probably once he needs a new carrot; he's after Jinsung now, but sooner or later he'll need a goal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

suppose there is also the issue that Bam with all 4 thorns is basically going to be unstoppable

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jose posted:

suppose there is also the issue that Bam with all 4 thorns is basically going to be unstoppable

I think this is why we are not seeing more thorns, at least yet. Each Thorn is likely to be a multiplier on Bam's power output, and he's already up there in strength

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I think the Thorns are less pure power multipliers and more unlocking unique abilities. All these energy blasts and raw power stuff I think is just...Baam. Ever since the Rice Pot in the Hell Train we've known that there's a crazy ravenous power inside of him waiting to get out and the main thing holding it back is Baam's good nature.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He unwrapped the thorn vs that dog and the dog might as well have had his scouter explode. I think the thorn effectively is a multiplier and the thryssas are more unique.

The thorn when assembled is intended to beat Jahad so it's pretty endgame. There arent many people above him at this point, white is already around top 300 I think (tho ofc family leaders are exponentially stronger than high rankers, as expected of manga).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 8, 2021

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I keep wondering if beating Jahad is going to be the end of the story, or if there's a different, stronger tower society beyond the 'top' floor.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

No Wave posted:

He unwrapped the thorn vs that dog and the dog might as well have had his scouter explode. I think the thorn effectively is a multiplier and the thryssas are more unique.

The thorn when assembled is intended to beat Jahad so it's pretty endgame. There arent many people above him at this point, white is already around top 300 I think (tho ofc family leaders are exponentially stronger than high rankers, as expected of manga).

Well the Thyrssas give you Administrator powers, as we saw with Hell Joe. Just on a way smaller scale. I'm sure the Thorn pieces are just inherently super powerful to do what it does but I don't think they'd be that crucial if their main function was multiplying powerlevel stuff. But maybe I'm wrong. I just know the Sword of Damocles on Baam's secret inner scary power that the Thyrssas are scared of has dropped at this point.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nimby posted:

I keep wondering if beating Jahad is going to be the end of the story, or if there's a different, stronger tower society beyond the 'top' floor.

we know specifically that there is because the key to get into it requires all of the month weapons and the rings that Karaka and Wangnan have. Data Jahad wanted Bam to get the real Jahad to start climbing again