Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Old people go to doctors all the time and rich old people (at least the ones with common sense or a competent team/handler around them) probably get seen weekly if not more so by doctors who can prescribe the best of everything, so even someone like GRRM can shamble on for a while regardless of how bad off he might appear to be.

Honestly he doesn't look that bad for his age. He's really fat, that's probably not a good sign, but unhealthy 75 year olds have terrible skin, spots, trouble walking, they're basically the crypt keeper. Other than his weight, I don't see anything implying that GRRM is unhealthier than usual for his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pidan posted:

Honestly he doesn't look that bad for his age. He's really fat, that's probably not a good sign, but unhealthy 75 year olds have terrible skin, spots, trouble walking, they're basically the crypt keeper. Other than his weight, I don't see anything implying that GRRM is unhealthier than usual for his age.

This is really a load-bearing qualification.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

pidan posted:

Honestly he doesn't look that bad for his age. He's really fat, that's probably not a good sign, but unhealthy 75 year olds have terrible skin, spots, trouble walking, they're basically the crypt keeper.

They also hold public office.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pidan posted:

I've worked in Elder Care and he honestly might be the fattest 73 year-old I've ever seen.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

They also hold public office.
Ugh this was funny 20 years ago but now it just makes me depressed. Moreso at people my age for not having the stones to depose the geriatrics, but that's another thread.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Missandei is from the Summer Islands which is the Africa equivalent and is described as having dark skin, so that was in the books.

Also, of course Missandei was apparently ten years old in the books. Goddamn it, Gurrm...

she was the slave that was supposed to teach dany languages not how to gently caress shes not the sex slave!

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

pidan posted:

If memory serves, a few years back a reporter (NPR?) came to the Cocteau to interview GM and was alarmed about how hard he breathed after going up some stairs.

Dude's got a Rascal by now for sure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Speaking of pants-making GBS threads, redditors are both up in arms about b-b-b-b-b-black nobles in the HBO spin-off and there's a bleachers thread set-up to watch the garbage from: https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/q5f4l9/game_of_thrones_spinoff_show_has_black_royals_in/

I'd be convinced this was some kind of viral marketing but being honest-- the only people earnestly into the Game of Thrones spin-off in 2021 being the same dudes who care way too much about race is... very plausible.

It is the least surprising thing that r/freefolk turned out to be a sweaty racist tinderbox. These fuckers are still pissing mad about a show that ended nearly three years ago now. Colour me shocked that these guys don't exactly have the good brains for some reason when it came down to the matter of "black people existing" :thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

It is the least surprising thing that r/freefolk turned out to be a sweaty racist tinderbox. These fuckers are still pissing mad about a show that ended nearly three years ago now. Colour me shocked that these guys don't exactly have the good brains for some reason when it came down to the matter of "black people existing" :thunk:

Seems oddly fitting that I used to think the subreddit was r/freepfolk.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Missandei is from the Summer Islands which is the Africa equivalent and is described as having dark skin, so that was in the books.

Also, of course Missandei was apparently ten years old in the books. Goddamn it, Gurrm...

Naath isn't in the summer islands, it's just sorta nearish to them :goonsay:

re: inclusive casting, it looks like, among major roles, only the Velaryons and their direct relations got cast with bipoc actors, which was sorta the easiest choice they could have made - the family of wanderers who have been all over the world and intermarried with everybody.

even if you cared a bunch about ~historical accuracy~ (which you shouldn't because it's a fantasy show) or about following the text accurately (which you also shouldn't), the Velaryons could really be played by anyone

ultimately what im getting at is HBO could have gone way more diverse with casting the original series than they did, people just didn't get on 'em about it enough at the time

ned stark could have been a person of color
so could jonathan snow!
and so could hot pie!

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 16, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

As I already posted in one of the earlier threads. They should’ve cast a black actor for Robert Baratheon. It would’ve made the entire paternity plot much better.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 16, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

nifff nifff niff nifff nifff nifff

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

As I already posted in one of the earlier threads. They should’ve cast a black actor for Robert Baratheon. It would’ve made the entire paternity plot much better.

Ned goes through the Baratheon lineage book and it's just dick sizes.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I listen to podcasts and read posts from people who look down on readers who didn't like Feast or Dance

Please point them my way so I can punch them in the neck. The only reason I liked Feast at all is because I had so many years to re-read it, because I basically skim read books the first time through, and I kind of liked all the random poo poo he pours in. But if you can't even _see_ the argument that it's a rushed out, un-edited, half finished bloat-fish of a book, there is something wrong with you. And gently caress Dance. I can't even remember what happened because I couldn't bring myself to re-read it. Feast/Dance should never be allowed to be "two" books in anyone's mind. It's one giant, sprawling unedited meandering, making GBS threads cock merchant diarrhea in a field of neeps.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want to know what story George has to tell and I don’t care if it climaxes right or not.

He wanted Jon to gently caress Arya, probably while Tyrion watches through a peekhole. So there ya go. That's the story he set out to tell. The rest is all gravy.

George doesn't really seem to have a greater story to tell - rather he has a number of scenes in mind many of which are cool and interesting. But as GRRM himself has said, once he figures out what the characters will do he loses interest. And piecing all those scenes together into a solid overarching creation requires editing he has never been willing to subject himself too. So while I too crave an opus that ties everything together, it doesn't exist in GRRMs mind. If anywhere, it exists in partnership with a solid editor.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ned goes through the Baratheon lineage book and it's just dick sizes.

...Care to write a chapter in a certain novel?

How is there not a Sir Moorcock of Elricboner in all these books.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Come hang out in the wheel of time thread, there's trailers! And all the books are written!

I couldn't get through the first book as a kid. I was hooked on LOTR, and it just ... wasn't that. Same with all that elf stones of shanara crap. I read the books, but nothing clicked.

Pennsylvanian posted:

No, I don't. I'm critical of that fact that the second anyone tries to post anything in this thread that's not "dead books lol" that there needs to be a run of posters who feel the need to save the thread by posting a row of "books actually dead and bad lol".

doyouknowwhereyouare.jpg

I mean I love effort posts, but the vibe of this board has always been like.. a bunch of angry people waiting around for a book that will never come out. "It's never coming out" is sort of like "AMEN"s at one of those Revivals. It's just background. Testify!

Hey look who else got the poo poo dick!

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

TERFherder posted:

Please point them my way so I can punch them in the neck. The only reason I liked Feast at all is because I had so many years to re-read it, because I basically skim read books the first time through, and I kind of liked all the random poo poo he pours in. But if you can't even _see_ the argument that it's a rushed out, un-edited, half finished bloat-fish of a book, there is something wrong with you. And gently caress Dance. I can't even remember what happened because I couldn't bring myself to re-read it. Feast/Dance should never be allowed to be "two" books in anyone's mind. It's one giant, sprawling unedited meandering, making GBS threads cock merchant diarrhea in a field of neeps.

The more I listen to Preston Jacobs, the more I realize he really does stretch a lot of his theories, but one thing I appreciate is that while he'll gently tease casual fans, he'll readily admit that he understands why people hate those books. I listened to another cast called Unabashed Book Snobs and while it's overall a good cast about the book & show, they tend to strawman anyone who doesn't like Feast/Dance as knuckledraggers who can't appreciate what those books are going for. Feast/Dance are dull and they lie to the reader about the possibility of plot advancement.

I started reading the Felix & Gotrek Warhammer Fantasy books and while they are super pulpy, and dumb as hell it's been really fun to read about two guys going on adventures, rescuing people and fighting monsters. Every once in a while, a vista will be described for one whole page, but overall it has been a godsend to read some fantasy that does not have eleven paragraphs of introspection for every step the character takes down a road.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I started reading the Felix & Gotrek Warhammer Fantasy books and while they are super pulpy, and dumb as hell it's been really fun to read about two guys going on adventures, rescuing people and fighting monsters. Every once in a while, a vista will be described for one whole page, but overall it has been a godsend to read some fantasy that does not have eleven paragraphs of introspection for every step the character takes down a road.

Yeah I feel you here. I read some warhammer books a few years back, but I think I enjoy reading lore/rule booklet stuff more. I read a few of the horus heresy books and really really wanted to like them, but couldn't. I mean, if that poo poo were an anime, I'd sit down right now and watch all of them until I wasted away from lack of food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TERFherder posted:

I couldn't get through the first book as a kid. I was hooked on LOTR, and it just ... wasn't that. Same with all that elf stones of shanara crap. I read the books, but nothing clicked.

That's fair. You might like them if you read them now, or maybe not. One thing to be aware of with Wheel of Time is that the first book was deliberately written to "feel familiar" to people who had read Lord of the Rings and not much other fantasy. The books are progressively more and more their own thing with each successive book after the first.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I tried with LOTR, I really did. I just can't handle the way those books are written. There's just so much fluff. A character can't begin a song without like three paragraphs of setup. Barely a line of dialogue can be spoken without the narrator injecting lore or information. I got halfway through Two Towers and tapped out. I understand they're important and have an appeal as a modern day attempt at "the classics" but I'm just not able to do it.

I want a Warhammer Fantasy cartoon drawn in the style of the Spawn Cartoon and the Do the Evolution video

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you got through all the grrm books but couldn't do tolkien i'm frankly sorry for you

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I tried with LOTR, I really did. I just can't handle the way those books are written. There's just so much fluff. A character can't begin a song without like three paragraphs of setup. Barely a line of dialogue can be spoken without the narrator injecting lore or information. I got halfway through Two Towers and tapped out. I understand they're important and have an appeal as a modern day attempt at "the classics" but I'm just not able to do it.

now try the Night Land

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Pro mode: The Worm Ouroboros

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I tried to read LotR when I was about 10, couldn't follow anything (to the point where I thought the towers referred to in "The Two Towers" referred to Isengard and Helm's Deep, and also that they literally faced each other across a valley :eng99: ), and called it quits after the ring got destroyed, with still like a quarter of the book left.

Started reading Wheel of Time probably a year or two after that, and could follow it pretty well :rolleye:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you got through all the grrm books but couldn't do tolkien i'm frankly sorry for you

Yes, if you can't handle books for babies, somehow that means it's problematic if you like a series intended for adults.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I tried to read the LoTR books after reading ASoIaF and couldn’t even make it a quarter of the way through the first book.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, if you can't handle books for babies, somehow that means it's problematic if you like a series intended for adults.
Both of them are series targeted at adolescents. The Hobbit is the book for children.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Pro mode: The Worm Ouroboros

Now that's the great classic fantasy comedy.

I still laugh every time I think back to that one guy who keeps switching sides mid-battle :allears:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tolkien moves very slowly with his books and dwells a lot on the scenery and feel of things. If that's not your bag then Lotr definitely won't be for you. I enjoy it, but I fully understand it's not for everyone.

I also enjoy GRMM's shitwater tit milk masterpiece so there's probably something fundamentally wrong with me as a human being

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Now that's the great classic fantasy comedy.

I still laugh every time I think back to that one guy who keeps switching sides mid-battle :allears:

Good old dependable Lord Gro. Always be traitoring.
(I love the utter disregard for character naming conventions in that book. Juss! Brandoch Daha! Spitfire! Gorice XI and/or XII! Corund! Goldry freakin' Bluszco!)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Good old dependable Lord Gro. Always be traitoring.
(I love the utter disregard for character naming conventions in that book. Juss! Brandoch Daha! Spitfire! Gorice XI and/or XII! Corund! Goldry freakin' Bluszco!)

Dude was trying to write his own dungeons and dragons campaign in his head before D&D as a concept had been invented and without any other players or a DM, you kinda gotta respect it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Last Ringbearer is a lot more enjoyable than the actual LOTR books imo

I like evil grrms bad books though and still think he's pretty much the best non-kids fantasy writer I've read.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That's fair. You might like them if you read them now, or maybe not. One thing to be aware of with Wheel of Time is that the first book was deliberately written to "feel familiar" to people who had read Lord of the Rings and not much other fantasy. The books are progressively more and more their own thing with each successive book after the first.

I think I made a mistake by starting out WoT on Book Zero because it started with a four page description of the lineage of some dude's armor and nothing about the guy who was wearing it except for his name and was like "gently caress, this is awful."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah skip new spring and skip the "Ravens" prologue chapter in Eye of the World, it was added for the YA edition.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

the funny thing is that LotR is often makes much more sense than asoiaf on a lot of the "adult" things like troop movements and the dynamics of society even though nobody says "gently caress"

i've enjoyed grrm's books but westeros is deeply silly on a nuts and bolts level

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jazerus posted:

the funny thing is that LotR is often makes much more sense than asoiaf on a lot of the "adult" things like troop movements and the dynamics of society even though nobody says "gently caress"

i've enjoyed grrm's books but westeros is deeply silly on a nuts and bolts level

I want the alternate universe books in which Yoren reaches the Wall with his prisoners early on...

...leading to Biter, 998th Lord-Commander of the Night's Watch.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Sephyr posted:

I want the alternate universe books in which Yoren reaches the Wall with his prisoners early on...

...leading to Biter, 998th Lord-Commander of the Night's Watch.

We find out he has Valyrian Steel Teeth when he flies up on the Night King.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah skip new spring and skip the "Ravens" prologue chapter in Eye of the World, it was added for the YA edition.

There's a YA edition of Eye of the World? What? Why? :what:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

To be honest, most of the WoT is borderline YA, and in particular the first couple books; even throughout the series everything is dealt with in a pretty anodyne way, the 13 supposedly most evil people of an extremely decadent age barely get up to anything that would bother the MPAA. Some violence, sure, but most of it is pretty non-graphic, and the way even some "sex stuff" is dealt with is in the Disney wink and nod fashion where a younger person might not really pick up on it.

Oh but the actual answer to your question is: to drive the sales.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

We find out he has Valyrian Steel Teeth when he flies up on the Night King.
there's only one dentist in westeros who could have made these......darksmile

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jazerus posted:

Tolkien had first hand experience with war and actually knows something about military campaigns, unlike GRRM.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How dare you pretend Gurm hasn’t seen any frontline action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

It's just Eye of the World split into two volumes with the added prologue, which is from Egwene's perspective at age like 10 or so. A lot of international editions split all the WoT books into halves that way.