Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

euphronius posted:

Could a primarch kill a custodian ? Idk

I would say yes considering the one time Angron kept a titan for smashing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hm
I think a custodian would be tougher

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
At least one Custodian isn't sure if he can take a chapter master, I assume a Primarch would win.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What that’s crazy. A custodian would wipe the floor with mere space marines

Maybe I’m relying too much on the Chris wraight books

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The somewhat generally accepted power scheme is Marines < Custodians < Primarchs with the understanding that enough of each level will cause problems for the level(s) above.

If the custodians were anywhere near primarch level the Imperium wouldn't really be in a bind because you would have 100s of extremely loyal primarchs wandering around loving poo poo up for their enemies. You could drop like 2 on any planet and call it good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

What that’s crazy. A custodian would wipe the floor with mere space marines

Maybe I’m relying too much on the Chris wraight books

I mean, the doubt happens in one of his books. Maybe I should say one Custodian wasn't sure if he could take one specific Chapter Master...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 21, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

The somewhat generally accepted power scheme is Marines < Custodians < Primarchs with the understanding that enough of each level will cause problems for the level(s) above.

If the custodians were anywhere near primarch level the Imperium wouldn't really be in a bind because you would have 100s of extremely loyal primarchs wandering around loving poo poo up for their enemies. You could drop like 2 on any planet and call it good.

Well they never left the palace

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, the doubt happens in one of his books. Maybe I should say one Custodian wasn't sure if he could take one specific Chapter Master...

I don’t remember ? What was the reference

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The latest Hammer and Bolter animation on Warhammer+ was really good! Finally something different, showing Eldar defending a craftworld against a Space Marine attack.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

I don’t remember ? What was the reference

(Regent's Shadow spoilers:)

To this day, I do not know what would have happened if he had done so. I suffer neither from doubt nor from pride, and so can only speculate from the evidence I had before me. Perhaps I would have found a way. I had felled some of the greatest warriors of the enemy in my time, including many who most certainly had possessed the power to best me.

But, with Moloc, I cannot be sure.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

Well they never left the palace

They have left the palace en mass in recent canon. That many primarch level beings walking around with the single goal of un loving the imperium would probably actually accomplish that in a short time frame.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Inspector_666 posted:

At least one Custodian isn't sure if he can take a chapter master, I assume a Primarch would win.

Valdor is implied in numerous places to be near-Primarch level.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We can just compare the statlines these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

They have left the palace en mass in recent canon. That many primarch level beings walking around with the single goal of un loving the imperium would probably actually accomplish that in a short time frame.

I still haven’t wrapped my head around anything since RG came back to terra

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In on of the first Heresy short-stories (Blood Games) Amon Tauromachian ponders that him and another Custodes versus Rogal Dorn and four regular astartes might be a fair fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paddyo posted:

The latest Hammer and Bolter animation on Warhammer+ was really good! Finally something different, showing Eldar defending a craftworld against a Space Marine attack.

Were the Marines the Invaders chapter? They're the ones famous for doing a balls out crazy attack on a craftworld.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Custodes were always out sneaking around the galaxy, just not in large numbers. Defense begins out where the enemy is.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Custodians can definitely not take on a Primarch 1v1 with the possible exception of Valdor. Multiple custodians could potentially take on a Primarch, but even then it would take quite a few. That being said, there are always unique circumstances of luck or extenuating circumstances that could make it possible. Anything is possible if the author needs it to happen and the editors decide it is ok. A human has killed a space marine with a spear in the lore when he got incredibly lucky once.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Were the Marines the Invaders chapter? They're the ones famous for doing a balls out crazy attack on a craftworld.

Nope, just generic Ultramarines. Pretty satisfying though to see them getting torn the gently caress up!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Primarch > Custodes (although to varying degrees… Horus or Angron or Sanguinius is a very different story than, say, Lorgar). But Valdor probably = primarch. Something really special went into the mix there.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

D-Pad posted:

A human has killed a space marine with a spear in the lore when he got incredibly lucky once.

That's one of my favourite lore blurbs. Ended up getting the guy being made into a chaos space marine.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Nope, just generic Ultramarines. Pretty satisfying though to see them getting torn the gently caress up!

Ultramarine Lieutenant: Your Craftworld burns, alien. Your warriors bleed. Your people die this day.

Striking Scorpion Exarch: How proud you must be, of your ability to inflict atrocity.

*mic drop*

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ardent Communist posted:

That's one of my favourite lore blurbs. Ended up getting the guy being made into a chaos space marine.

The short story Nightfall from the Heroes of the Space Marines anthology is about a ganger kid that kills a Night Lord during a recruitment ceremony, it's worth reading. IDK if it's the same one you're thinking of.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a theory that Moloc might be a mind-wiped Custodes. There's something special going on with him.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

OPAONI posted:

Valdor is implied in numerous places to be near-Primarch level.

Valdor is also implied to be the Primarch of Custodians so that makes sense

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Valdor is special, but as far as we know he's not a primarch. The primarchs were born in the warp, they are almost gods.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Custodes can like channel the emperor tho as invoked miracles or similar

Idk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So can rando humans who believe real hard.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This is turning into a DBZ power level debate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hopterque posted:

Valdor is also implied to be the Primarch of Custodians so that makes sense

:actually: The Emperor is the Primarch of the Custodians.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

Custodes can like channel the emperor tho as invoked miracles or similar

Idk.

This is one of the things they definitely can't do. The process used to make them is strange and not documented, but it refines them into something human shaped but without weaknesses, flaws, and most of their independence. Their abilities, and the way the warp parts around them without touching them, come from what they are, and are different from the miracles that sisters of battle can perform through their faith.

The Custodes believe in the Emperor in an unshakeable way, but it's not like mortal faith - they are dependable in the way a rock falls to the ground when you let it go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zil posted:

That's where it started to be fair.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The short story Nightfall from the Heroes of the Space Marines anthology is about a ganger kid that kills a Night Lord during a recruitment ceremony, it's worth reading. IDK if it's the same one you're thinking of.

No, I'm thinking of a paragraph or two blurb in a codex, where the guy is part of some horse culture that gets whipped up to fight the Imperium. They end up charging space marines (with obvious results) but the one guy gets close enough to put his lance into one, which a Chaos Space Marine exploits, then offers the guy to be made into a space marine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

In First Heretic a human killed a Word Bearer with a spear:

quote:

'Slain by a human, of all things. An unlucky thrust with a wooden spear.' [He] tapped two fingertips against his neck. 'Tore out most of his throat, laid it bare to the bone. I've never seen anything like it. Blood of the gods, I'd have laughed if it hadn't been so pathetically tragic. He bled out before the Apothecaries could reach him, still trying to shout the whole time.'

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AndyElusive posted:

Ultramarine Lieutenant: Your Craftworld burns, alien. Your warriors bleed. Your people die this day.

Striking Scorpion Exarch: How proud you must be, of your ability to inflict atrocity.

*mic drop*

Eldar shouldn't be throwing stones in their glass houses in space.

Also.

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Zil posted:

Do you think the emperor could deafeat Goku?
Me myself think absolutly maybe he could if he got help from his custodian pals!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

No, I'm thinking of a paragraph or two blurb in a codex, where the guy is part of some horse culture that gets whipped up to fight the Imperium. They end up charging space marines (with obvious results) but the one guy gets close enough to put his lance into one, which a Chaos Space Marine exploits, then offers the guy to be made into a space marine.

From the second 3rd edition Chaos Codex (commonly referred to as 3.5). Really great piece. Cool idea to think about the Chaos legions recruiting from chaos-worshipping cultures.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
What are some good custodes books?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Wraight ones are some of the best WH40K poo poo out there.

valdor
watchers of the throne (2 books)
Might as well read the Vaults of Terra books too

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bob the terrible posted:

Do you think the emperor could deafeat Goku?
Me myself think absolutly maybe he could if he got help from his custodian pals!

It's all about which universe it's in. In the DB universe, no one beats Goku, not in the long run anyway. In the 40k universe, no one is invincible. "Whatever happens, you will not be missed" and all that. :colbert: