Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It was unexpected but when it happened I was like “ohhh water planet always raining I guess they were Scottish”

Also made the Lawrence of Arabia vibes more obvious

I mean I was confused by that because I always thought the Atreides and Caladan were implied to be Greek and a Mediterranean world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

House Atreides literally means House of Atreus, whose most famous member is probably King Agamemnon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can someone explain the slow knife technique against shields? I always pictured it being slower movements to bypass the shield, but the movie made it more like pressing against the shield until things broke through.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Makes sense if the shield stops the momentum of your blade then all you have to do is

1: slash someone any way you want
2: once the shield stops your blade, just press it into your opponent

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I haven't read the book in around 30 years (since I was a teen) but I remember it being pretty drat good. I turned this off after 25 minutes because quite frankly it was boring my wife to tears and not doing anything at all for me. And we both like contemplative, visually impressive movies. Something about this just didn't have any life to it. I'm going to give it another chance but there's a vital spirit missing here and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I haven't read the book in around 30 years (since I was a teen) but I remember it being pretty drat good. I turned this off after 25 minutes because quite frankly it was boring my wife to tears and not doing anything at all for me. And we both like contemplative, visually impressive movies. Something about this just didn't have any life to it. I'm going to give it another chance but there's a vital spirit missing here and I can't put my finger on what it is.

The first half hour is pretty boring frankly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also that sandworms seem to move by vibrating the sand so it attains fluid dynamics, that's a cool touch.

this was extremely cool, the way the sand turns to effectively water in their presence was visually spectacular and also very on-point thematically

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Liked the movie, but couldn’t help but imagine how Roger Deakins might have shot it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eke out posted:

this was extremely cool, the way the sand turns to effectively water in their presence was visually spectacular and also very on-point thematically
Well, Frank Herbert specifically mentions this in an interview - that's also where the canonical notion that Atreides descened from House Of Atreus that Arglebargle III mentioned above comes from.

Apparently the whole interview is also published on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mLVVJkH7I

The interview is made shortly after the book was published, before it became a cult hit.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 23, 2021

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay so it’s nagging at me that Villeneuve dressed the Atreides hardware as modern American military imagery. Even the headsets that the passengers wear in the ornithopter look like stuff from 20th century America

Is there a deliberate subtext here.

Did you miss the first three minutes? That left very little to the imagination. Desert tribe mounting a strike on a vastly more powerful oppressor strip-mining their lands, ending with the narrator wondering who their next oppressors will be. That’s not subtle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Collapsing Farts posted:

Did it make money? Then yeah it's getting a sequel

i have hopefully good news.

it just opened here in china this weekend, and i went to see it today in imax and it was the most crowded ive seen the theater since 2019

and literally every movie that earned any money this year has done well in china. it’s the biggest movie market this year

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lawman 0 posted:

The first half hour is pretty boring frankly.

That is great news! I appreciate your insight.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spergin Morlock posted:

Don't.... read the prequel books? lol

seriously though let's not talk about the kevin j anderson books as if they're strictly canon because they're really not. they contradict major themes in the originals so severely it's better to think of them as a different continuity.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Isn't there a fan fiction 7th book that is significantly better than Brian's drivel?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Isn't there a fan fiction 7th book that is significantly better than Brian's drivel?
A complete lack of book is better than the books that don't exist.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Collapsing Farts posted:

They seemed to have guns and tools capable of penetrating personal shields like those burrowing needle things or the big bombs that slowed down before they hit the shield but then they go and only use swords in actual fights?

My friend told me that the in universe reason was that shooting lasers at a shield would cause nuclear explosions or something, but I think he was just loving with me

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

A complete lack of book is better than the books that don't exist.

no but you see they're based on frank herbert's notes! that only his son has ever seen! no you can't read them! they definitely exist and we definitely followed what they say exactly!! stop asking me about this!!!!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifter posted:

Did you miss the first three minutes? That left very little to the imagination. Desert tribe mounting a strike on a vastly more powerful oppressor strip-mining their lands, ending with the narrator wondering who their next oppressors will be. That’s not subtle.

And then they showed up and were cool to the native population.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend told me that the in universe reason was that shooting lasers at a shield would cause nuclear explosions or something, but I think he was just loving with me
Not loving with you that is the reason in the book

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m 1hr 10min into watching Dune 1984 for the first time and anyone who thinks it’s good much less better than Dune 2021 is high on spice. This movie is trash.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This worked for me right from the beginning. Tone, atmosphere, pacing. It felt grand and stark and full of little moments that gave everything texture. None of the shots seemed to linger, in fact I felt that a lot of amazing visuals came and went in just enough time to leave an impression.

Having just finished the movie, there are a few things in particular that I find myself thinking about :

- Everything about Javier Bardem's first scene, including the not-so-subtle little glances to his left

- Lasers shown as tight beams illuminating swirls of dust rather than the traditional big ol' plasma blasts

- There's a two-second shot of a panel in a dragonfly cockpit where we see a pair of VR-like lenses displaying something. The camera doesn't get close enough for us to see clearly, but it looks pretty colorful, elaborate, and there might even be UI elements in there. Tiny details like that (and the little candle with an intricate design on its side they burned at the ring-seal ceremony) do so much to sell the setting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

They seemed to have guns and tools capable of penetrating personal shields like those burrowing needle things or the big bombs that slowed down before they hit the shield but then they go and only use swords in actual fights?

The real reason for this small-scale warfare is that transport costs are astronomically expensive. You saw in the movie that just sending a small delegation from the Emperor's palace to Caladan cost a fortune.

The Spacing Guild has an absolute stranglehold on space transport, and they set the prices based on their own priorities. Insterstellar war is bad for business.

That's why the Harkonnen assault on Arrakeen was so unexpected. A single battle like that would bankrupt most of the great houses. The Baron mortgaged 80 years of spice wealth to accomplish this and still needed a push from the Emperor to make it work.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 23, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Not loving with you that is the reason in the book

Lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m 1hr 10min into watching Dune 1984 for the first time and anyone who thinks it’s good much less better than Dune 2021 is high on spice. This movie is trash.

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I liked the harkonnen scenes more than what we got in 2021 but thats basically it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella

It's this lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

seriously though let's not talk about the kevin j anderson books as if they're strictly canon because they're really not. they contradict major themes in the originals so severely it's better to think of them as a different continuity.

they were written at least in part based on Frank's notes but I do take your point

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

To add to what I said earlier, there's an interview with Norman Spinrad in which he claims that Frank Herbert told him that he wanted to end with the universe becoming a democratic one - however, I'm not sure how much of that is true, considering the choice words Frank Herbert had on democracy:

Frank Herbert, in Chapterhouse Dune posted:

"Democracy is susceptible to being led astray by having scapegoats paraded in front of the electorate. Get the rich, the greedy, the criminals, the stupid leader and so on ad nauseam."
The tyranny of the minority cloaked in the mask of the majority,” Odrade called it, her voice exultant. “Downfall of democracy. Either overthrown by its own excesses or eaten away by bureaucracy.”
"People don't vote. Instinct tells them it's useless."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no but you see they're based on frank herbert's notes! that only his son has ever seen! no you can't read them! they definitely exist and we definitely followed what they say exactly!! stop asking me about this!!!!
I can't find the quote, but Frank also says something about the works of children never lives up to that of their parents, or something to that effect.

I have an entire screed about the supposed notes posted in the GBS thread...
I'm not obsessed, I swear!

Josh Lyman posted:

If you're not watching the Alternative Edition Redux, your opinion needs to be shed upon the sands.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

not only would that happen, but in the book duncan idaho iirc deliberately leaves a shield running once the harkonnens bust out the lasguns in the battle for arakeen and it causes a huge boom that takes out a bunch of harkonnens

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spergin Morlock posted:

they were written at least in part based on Frank's notes but I do take your point

nobody has ever seen "frank's notes" except brian herbert. if they exist, he could publish them like chris tolkein did with his dad's work. he won't because either they don't exist or he completely ignored them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm just gonna quote myself from the GBS thread that I mentioned above:

The images, which are in the article where he calls people who doubt him "Talifan", of a couple of floppy disks prove absolutely nothing - it's like a kid handing in their "homework" after it's accidentally been washed.

The article also mentions how there's over a thousand pages of notes.
Later on, there's suddenly also a 30-page outline in addition to the notes that were apparently found afterwards, despite not being initially mentioned.
After that, he teases that they're supposed to be included in the Road to Dune but there's absolutely nothing in the book even mentioning anything about the notes or the outline.

Even if by some miracle all of that is somehow not just a bunch of lies that they couldn't keep straight for over a decade, they somehow managed to expand it to over 20 books and counting, and show no sign of wanting to get off the gravy-train.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you're not watching the Alternative Edition Redux, your opinion needs to be shed upon the sands.

There are a lot of fan cuts of Lynch's Dune but nothing can fix the fact that the budget ran out halfway through principal photography.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

There are a lot of fan cuts of Lynch's Dune but nothing can fix the fact that the budget ran out halfway through principal photography.
The Alternative Edition Redux at least doesn't try to rewrite the entire loving plot of the book into a movie in which the main character is an actual wizard.
It also tries to fix some of those issues caused by running out of money, though obviously it doesn't have much to work with.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I can understand liking the movie. It has some interesting aesthetics here and there, and if you're a fan of the novels you might appreciate seeing at least some of it onscreen.

To say it's a great movie, call it better than the new one, and act like that's an obvious opinion to have is really funny, though. It's like walking into a party with your pants around your ankles and confidently boasting that you're in the sex offender registry.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There will definitely be a part 2. Box office has been decent for the current times, but the big thing is I am positive a ton of people are going to watch this on HBO Max. By the time part 2 can be filmed and released things should be back to normal and they probably will make it theater exclusive which means all those HBO Max viewers will go to the theater the second time around which puts it in pre-covid blockbuster territory.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's like walking into a party with your pants around your ankles and confidently boasting that you're in the sex offender registry.

?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

D-Pad posted:

There will definitely be a part 2. Box office has been decent for the current times, but the big thing is I am positive a ton of people are going to watch this on HBO Max. By the time part 2 can be filmed and released things should be back to normal and they probably will make it theater exclusive which means all those HBO Max viewers will go to the theater the second time around which puts it in pre-covid blockbuster territory.

just an anecdote here, but i saw approximately 6x the people in the theater to see dune today than i did seeing any of the star wars sequels here in china. and star wars was heavily advertised here, dune wasnt. seems like good news to me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The whole "Will Dune II get made???????" is C-level executive bullshit from the studio forced upon the actors, directors and everyone else working on the movie, to try and generate more buzz.
There's no loving way Denis Villeneuve signed on to do half a movie based on a book that he's been wanting to make a movie out of, ever since he was a kid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm surprised they didn't do what LOTR did and film two movies at once, then release them a year apart. This film is so heavily "part 1" in every way, which if nothing else takes a lot of confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The whole "Will Dune II get made???????" is C-level executive bullshit from the studio forced upon the actors, directors and everyone else working on the movie, to try and generate more buzz.
There's no loving way Denis Villeneuve signed on to do half a movie based on a book that he's been wanting to make a movie out of, ever since he was a kid.

100% this.

I'm sure a lot of the B-roll has already been shot for the sequel