Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point, sounds like an ok start to me though and hopefully she’ll get better as the series goes on.

Speaking of, do we have any idea yet exactly how long Ghost Game’s going to last in terms of episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The important part is that she isn't Orimoto/Fairmon. A low bar, but...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Ah yes, the girl who had to be rescued by one of the major male characters in her DEBUT FIGHT and most of her decent moments in the series can probably be counted on one hand. Even Sora got more respect than that at least.

As a character in general Izumi was ok I’ll admit, they just needed to give her more…you know, actual agency.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 24, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rudoku posted:

Frontier has so many baffling decisions in it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Fair point, sounds like an ok start to me though and hopefully she’ll get better as the series goes on.

Speaking of, do we have any idea yet exactly how long Ghost Game’s going to last in terms of episodes?

Still reading as "?" all the places I've looked. Interestingly, by that this point I know there are some places that were reporting adventure 20 is running for 66 episodes, so who knows what's up.

Rudoku posted:

I'm going to once again bang my particular gong and point out that literally all they would've needed to make Izumi a great character would be for her to win fights and be put over. Going purely in terms of character writing she was excellent, but framing is a fickle and nasty beast that must be fed carefully and it chewed her up and spat her out and now here we are.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

As of episode three she is definitely not Ruki/Eri level. Like I said she doesn't make a big splash this episode, there's nothing in it like Ruki casually blowing away a Lynxmon or Eri's incredibly bombastic entrance. While it's not like she does NOTHING about her situation, and naturally the tone of the series means they want to focus on her vulnerability, at the same time the episode focuses more on Hiro and Angoramon trying to help her than what she herself is doing. When I complained about the pacing that was part of it, it took an exhaustingly long time for the episode to get the point where she put on the drat digivice and the tension was primarily centered on Angoramon in that scene.
To be fair, at least it was her partner Angoramon who did most of the work actually bringing down Dracmon once she does which even Yoshi can't say seeing as her victories were largely after she got Lilamon and Rosemon aside from an early point where Marcus and Thomas are fighting each other and needed to be told to focus. Plus the writers also made a point to continue the set up for Kiyoshiro's impending focus episode with Jellymon.

quote:

And in the interest of fairness I point out that all the things that made Ruki really great didn't come together until she had a handful of episodes under her belt and meanwhile Eri didn't become transcendent until we had a couple of episodes that confirmed that yes, the show was actually leaning ALL the way into her.

I do think this episode was more to establish her and Angoramon as characters and their dynamic which is fine since this was their focus epsiode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
When they show the teams in the opening Ruli and Angoramon specifically have the most actiony pose to them, so I think she'll do fine when all's said and done.

I do want to see what Kyoshiro and Jellymon are like together, though, they've been building that up since episode one.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 24, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

When they show the teams in the opening Ruli and Angoramon specifically have the most actiony pose to them, so I think she'll do fine when all's said and done.

Yeah much like Dokamon in Appmon; Angoramon is very clearly being established as the Powerhouse of the trio since despite the fact the he doesn't like fighting, he has considerable physical strength and knows how to use that strength if him beating Dracmon into submission is any indication.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 24, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had a weird rear end dream last night that I stumbled on some obscure Digimon series from 2012 that was an actual Digimon Adventure 3 mainly following the season 2 cast but set in the real world. Something about viruses influencing Digimon and driving them to do out of character stuff

Mostly it was going to feature Miyako- and that's how I had her name in my head despite only really calling her Yolie so that was weird- being tied to the villains and leaving the hero group, there was this Devimon that was teamed up with other Devimon variants until Angewomon killed him and was infected by the virus and joined the villains

And one weird thing that even in my dream, because remember this isn't me dreaming about the show, this is me dreaming about FINDING this show and watching clips of it and poo poo, where I was, in my dream, scoffing about how much over kill Angewomon would be against a Devimon and then she just murks him, I KNEW was weird

The show was a combination of anime and live action- certain Digimon were realistic, certain ones were clearly animated. And for the most part I think that was just Dream poo poo not really making sense and you don't think of it, but then Raidramon shows up, and he's humanoid for some reason, but its also clearly a modified Doggie Kruger costume from SPD/DekaRanger with Raidramon armor slapped on it. And even in my dream I thought that was strange.

That's about all I coherently remember from it, other than Angewomon gaining a Holy Angemon Priest style look when she joins the villains. I think Miyako's dad was behind all the fuckery going on but I really can't say beyond that. Just that when I woke up, I could still vividly remember most of this, and went 'well that was a dream' because there was no way this loving show could exist and not be known about

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad episode, Ruri (or is it Ruli?) has potential but isn’t quite there yet in my opinion (she’s fairly prominent in the OP though so that could be a good sign in terms of how much focus she’s going to get).

Dracumon sounded familiar, any idea who voices him in this series (his first line sounded a little like Masako Nozawa but that changed once he started talking more)? Seems like he’s going to be something of a reoccurring villain at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 24, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not a bad episode, Ruri (or is it Ruli?) has potential but isn’t quite there yet in my opinion (she’s fairly prominent in the OP though so that could be a good sign in terms of how much focus she’s going to get).

Dracumon sounded familiar, any idea who voices him in this series (his first line sounded a little like Masako Nozawa but that changed once he started talking more)? Seems like he’s going to be something of a reoccurring villain at least.

Of the three digimon that's been encountered and defeated, only Mummymon seems to have seen the light in not causing trouble (at least not in mummifying people) while Clockmon and Dracumon have both sworn revenge. So I'm relatively confident that they'll all show up for a round 2 of sorts when the team gets the ability to send digimon back to the shadow realm Digital World

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also though it still sounds weird to me, apparently the new girl’s name is officially “Ruli”:

The English name’s on the left side, you might have to zoom in a bit as it’s kind of hard to see at first glance.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Wikimon has your answer:
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1452263439041286146?t=q9nzDdG4TL9xN8oofetwVg&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I knew I’d heard him somewhere before, thanks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I thought the episode was pretty good. Dracumon was fairly creepy and getting PicoDevimon's VA was a good call.

Ruli certainly seems more capable than some other girls so far.

I hope Dracumon ends up being a recurring Digimon like Impmon was in the early part of Tamers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
was feeling bored so I quickly whipped out a new one of my Sprite DIM Card charts, this time for Palmon;

with the evolution paths past Adult as such;

Togemon-> Lilimon, PetalDramon, Blossomon

Kabukimon-> Blossomon, PetalDramon, TonosomaGekomon

Ponchomon-> Arachnemon, Lilimon, Anomalocarimon

MoriShellmon-> Anomalocarimon, TonosamaGekomon, Arachnemon

Lilimon-> Rosemon, Lotusmon

PetalDramon-> Ceresmon, Bacchusmon

Blossomon-> Lotusmon, Rosemon

Arachnemon-> Lotusmon, Bacchusmon

TonosamaGekomon-> Bacchusmon, Ceresmon

Anomalocarimon-> Ceresmon, Rosemon

this one went in a slightly odd direction as a couple choices I wanted to use ended up not having Sprites available(either official or fan made), also I noticed an error I had made in the original template that I had to correct and I'll need to adjust the template itself in the future for this as well(as well as the charts I've already done for Agumon, Gabumon, Piyomon, and Tentomon)

next one will probably be Gomamon and then I just need to do Patamon & Plotmon and I'll be done with the original Adventure partners(from there I'm leaning towards doing the rest of the Digital Monster & Pendulum V-Pet era Childs before potentially moving on to 02 or something)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
once again was feeling bored so decided to whip up another of my Sprite DIM Card charts, this time for Gomamon;

with the Evolution paths past Adult going as such;

Ikkakumon-> Zudomon, Blizzarmon, Mammon

Rukamon-> Whamon, Orcamon, Zudomon

Mojyamon-> Blizzarmon, Mammon, Sagomon

Depthmon-> Sagomon, Orcamon, Whamon

Zudomon-> Vikemon, Plesiomon

Whamon-> KingWhamon, Plesiomon

Blizzarmon-> Vikemon, SkullMammon X

Orcamon-> Plesiomon, KingWhamon

Mammon-> SkullMammon X, KingWhamon

Sagomon-> SkullMammon X, Vikemon

this one ended up being really easy once I figured out the Adults, pretty much the only major twists were me deciding on Mammon for the sixth Perfect slot, and deciding on SkullMammon X for one of the Ultimate slots(originally was going to use Olegmon for it's slot but I decided the fan made sprite I have for him is kind of underwhelming), incidentally SkullMammon X marks the first time I've used a non "Native" X-Antibody Digimon for one of these sprite charts mostly because I felt it would work better than the regular version(prior to this I had avoided grabbing X-Antibody Digimon sprites mostly out of laziness but I might amend that now)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

[When Played] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 [X-Antibody] Type card and 1 [Musha Yuuji] among them to your hand. Return the remaining cards to the bottom of your deck in any order
ESS: [Both Turns] While this Digimon has [X-Antibody] in its Type, this Digimon gains <Decoy<Black>>

Musha Yuuji
[Your Turn] When your [X-Antibody] Type Digimon is moved from Raising Area to Battle Area, Memory +1 and <Draw 1>
[Your Turn] When your Black [X-Antibody] Type Digimon attacks, you may rest this Tamer to add 1 [X-Antibody] Type card from your hand to the bottom of that Digimon's Evolution Sources

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That is some excellent raw card advantage. If there's more X-Antibody support like that, it's gonna be the new deck to beat.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/digimon_games/status/1453723250580545538

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This game is really shaping up to be the Duke Nukem Forever of the Digimon franchise isn’t it (hopefully without it turning out to be a piece of crap when/if it does finally release)?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They wouldn't uncancel it just to cancel it again, would they?

:negative:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really wish they'd just accept the game won't come out and move on to the next Story. If it was just constantly delayed, it'd still be bad, but also we have no real knowledge of anything being complete in it. As a matter of fact the last piece of information we got was the original trailer, afterwards, nothing whatsoever was shown. Not even screenshots, nevermind actual gameplay videos.

It's hard to believe that all of these delays will actually accomplish something when they haven't given us a reason to believe something was built in the game during this time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I really wish they'd just accept the game won't come out and move on to the next Story. If it was just constantly delayed, it'd still be bad, but also we have no real knowledge of anything being complete in it. As a matter of fact the last piece of information we got was the original trailer, afterwards, nothing whatsoever was shown. Not even screenshots, nevermind actual gameplay videos.

It's hard to believe that all of these delays will actually accomplish something when they haven't given us a reason to believe something was built in the game during this time.

Yeah as it’d honestly be even worse in my opinion if, as I alluded to above, the game does actually come out one day but it turns out it sucks.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The lack of content being shown is pretty confusing being paired with all these ratings boards approving it

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

After the amount of time spent on it I’d be extremely surprised of it wasn’t released. At some point it will come out regardless of what state of quality it’s in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boy this sure was a game I was looking forward to in 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Digimon Survive is the Fishmen Island of Digimon

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So far, Ghost Game has been pretty openly cribbing off Tamers for their partners: Gammamon is smaller Guilmon without the feral instincts, Angoramon is basically round Renamon, and Jellymon seems to be planned as a much more defiant and mischievous Terriermon. I’m not complaining, but I do want to see them develop more as individuals.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Renamon was a fighter through and through; that's why she and Ruki were partners.

Angoramon has a MUCH gentler nature, which Renamon didn't develop until about halfway through the series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I respect that Angoramon's moves are just wrestling techniques.

His evolution better give him a steel chair. :bahgawd:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

His battle to reach Perfect will be against Vince McMamon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

So far, Ghost Game has been pretty openly cribbing off Tamers for their partners: Gammamon is smaller Guilmon without the feral instincts, Angoramon is basically round Renamon, and Jellymon seems to be planned as a much more defiant and mischievous Terriermon. I’m not complaining, but I do want to see them develop more as individuals.

Other people talked about Angoramon, so I'm going to go ahead and quibble about the Guilmon comparison because saying Gammamon is "Guilmon without the feral instinct" is glossing over a hugely important distinction.

In the first couple of episodes Guilmon was essentially a wild animal who seemed to barely understand what Takato was saying, at best he seemed to have some kind of baseline instinct to want to get along with his partner and as such their dynamic is really different from what's going on with Hiro and Gammamon. Hiro was introduced to Gammamon by his dad who told him the Digimon was basically his little brother, and the follow-up episode pushed that comparison with him being essentially a really excitable little kid. Gammamon is humanized in a way that Guilmon wasn't at first, there's a cute little scene where Hiro shows he has a notebook where he's trying to interpret the weird words Gammamon uses for things (i.e. chocolate equals "champion"in the subs), whereas Guilmon was barely verbal by that same point in Tamers. It's unclear where the show is going to go with Gammamon, but he has a rather different starting point from where Guilmon began.

And as for Jellymon, if she is already around messing with Kiyoshiro invisibly (and she almost certainly is) that's also a much different dynamic than what Jian and Terriermon had. Terriermon was sardonic and loved to mess around, but he always deferred to Jian and seemed to have a healthy respect for him. When he needled Jian it's because he thought his partner needed it or because he thought his partner was wrong. As fun-loving as he was, Terriermon didn't really play pranks on people.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 29, 2021

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Omnicrom posted:

Other people talked about Angoramon, so I'm going to go ahead and quibble about the Guilmon comparison because saying Gammamon is "Guilmon without the feral instinct" is glossing over a hugely important distinction.

In the first couple of episodes Guilmon was essentially a wild animal who seemed to barely understand what Takato was saying, at best he seemed to have some kind of baseline instinct to want to get along with his partner and as such there dynamic is really different from what's going on with Hiro and Gammamon. Hiro was introduced to Gammamon by his dad who told him the Digimon was basically his little brother, and the follow-up episode pushed that comparison with him being essentially a really excitable little kid. Gammamon is humanized in a way that Guilmon wasn't at first, there's a cute little scene where Hiro shows he is a notebook where he's trying to interpret the weird words Gammamon uses for things (i.e. chocolate equals "champion"in the subs), whereas Guilmon was barely verbal by that same point in Tamers. It's unclear where the show is going to go with Gammamon, but he has a rather different starting point from where Guilmon began.

And as for Jellymon, if she is already around messing with Kiyoshiro invisibly (and she almost certainly is) that's also a much different dynamic than what Jian and Terriermon had. Terriermon was sardonic and loved to mess around, but he always deferred to Jian and seemed to have a healthy respect for him. When he needled Jian it's because he thought his partner needed it or because he thought his partner was wrong. As fun-loving as he was, Terriermon didn't really play pranks on people.

I guess you have a point. Guilmon was basically a big scaly puppy for his early days (he never fully grew out of that) and Terriermon was very respectful to his partner despite his smart mouth. That said, there is some clear inspiration from the Tamers Trio to the Ghost Game partners.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Ouryumon
[When Digivolving] You may place 1 Digimon card with [X-Antibody] in its type from your hand under this Digimon as its bottom digivolution card. If you do, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a play cost of 7 or less.
[Your Turn] (Once Per Turn) When you place a Digimon card under this Digimon as a digivolution card, this Digimon +2000 DP and can't be deleted by your opponent's effects until the end of your opponent's next turn.

Inherited: [End of Attack] (Once Per Turn) If this Digimon has [Alphamon] in its name, unsuspend it.

quote:

Eiseiryuuoujin
[Main] <Devolve 1> to 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, you may place 1 [X-Antibody] Type card from your hand to the bottom of 1 of your Black [X-Antibody] Type Digimon to destroy 1 of your opponent's Digimon with Play cost of 4 or less
[Security] <Devolve 1> to 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, destroy 1 of your opponent's Digimon with Play cost of 4 or less

Alphamon Ouryuken Mode all but confirmed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

OuRyumon: What is my purpose?
Alphamon: You become my sword.
OuRyumon: Oh. Oh my god.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nodosaur posted:

WarGreymon: Yeah, welcome to the club pal.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I really wish they'd just accept the game won't come out and move on to the next Story.

I think the next Story game is in development, though, just not announced? Wasn't that the whole reason Survive was supposed to be a smaller game by a different studio? To tide fans over while Media.Vision or whoever works on the next Story game? I remember them posting job listings for new creature modelers a couple years ago even. If they've truly not started on it I would be surprised.

Edit: Yeah, here it was:https://www.gematsu.com/2018/09/new-digimon-story-game-in-development-with-ps4-as-base

Habu in 2018 posted:

“A new Digimon Story is also in development with PlayStation 4 as its base, but development is going to take a bit of time. With things like current hardware specifications and support for a worldwide release, development on a single title has become extremely time consuming."

I do worry, though, that the longer the Survive gets pushed back the more inflated some people's expectations for it are going to become, leading to disappointment when it's not some huge, amazing game.

Blaze Dragon posted:

As a matter of fact the last piece of information we got was the original trailer, afterwards, nothing whatsoever was shown. Not even screenshots, nevermind actual gameplay videos.

It's been over a year but we did get new screenshots with each of the info drops on each set of partners in VJump. It wasn't much but it was something. :shrug:

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 29, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

No joke

So in Digimon Cyber Sleuth, for those that don't know, fusion works by one Digimon *eating* the other. Only one of them really matters, the other just has to have enough friendship points and be the right Digimon, they don't contribute anything else

So I did the reverse of this- I had my OuRyumon eat Alphamon and turn THEM into a sword. gently caress off Alphamon canonically you are OuRyumon bodyjacking you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

It's been over a year but we did get new screenshots with each of the info drops on each set of partners in VJump. It wasn't much but it was something. :shrug:

I know we got concept art, I don't think we actually got screenshots. And even if we did, it's hard to know if they're even relevant anymore as apparently the concept of the game has suffered changes along the way, which are partly to blame for the delays.