Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So speaking of variants that might evade testing, I was wondering something as a non-science-knower.
If the whole problem with COVID is that it's super contagious and every time an infected person exhales they're basically spewing plague everywhere, why is it that testing involves ramming a Q tip so far up the nose they are basically massaging the brain? Like why can't they just take a snot or saliva sample or a regular throat culture or a quick nasal swap that doesn't go so deep?
How is it COVID is at once spewing everywhere from you, but also apparently super deep back in your nasal passage.

The nose has a really poo poo immunity and the mucus membranes there are where you're most likely to pick up the infection, therefore that's the best location to get the highest sample rate

If they're testing the bacteria in a pimple on your forehead, they don't swab your ear or your rear end in a top hat even though there may be trace amounts of staph there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404417999749121?s=21

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404422030422024?s=21

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404430880473088?s=21

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404444323192834?s=21

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404454343409664?s=21

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1452404458114060292?s=21

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So we've got 3 Variants in Brazil, UK, and India that are more infectious, and one in the Phillipines that can compete with Delta AND doesnt give a poo poo about vaccines? Is that right?

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
do we still live in a hellscape y/n

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pillowpants posted:

So we've got 3 Variants in Brazil, UK, and India that are more infectious, and one in the Phillipines that can compete with Delta AND doesnt give a poo poo about vaccines? Is that right?

It's just the one variant in Brazil, UK, and India that's 10% more infectious and doesn't show on tests.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

scheduled my wife and I for third shots. It chose third dose, is that OK? We aren't immunocompromized, but it didn't give us an option for a Moderna booster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

durrneez posted:

do we still live in a hellscape y/n

N

Everyone is back in the office today, COVID is over! Get back to work!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Plus Mu down in Colombia, it's vaccine resistant + more lethal

#MuKrew #TeamMu

As long as active resivoirs of other variants exist, pandemic progress/burnout is on hold while everyone builds immunity to Delta

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

alg posted:

scheduled my wife and I for third shots. It chose third dose, is that OK? We aren't immunocompromized, but it didn't give us an option for a Moderna booster.

Yup. 100mcg of spikes in a "dose" and 50mcg in a "booster". You're getting the full slutty load.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hadlock posted:

#MuKrew #TeamMu

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pooky posted:

Yup. 100mcg of spikes in a "dose" and 50mcg in a "booster". You're getting the full slutty load.

ok cool my heart won't explode right

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS Data for ICU Occupancy since 8/20

1172 hospitals are not reporting whether or not they have staffing shortages. 507 of them are in Texas, and 99 in Iowa.

Also BNO news says there are 51,391 people in the Hospital and 14,159 in ICU with COVID.

Heres the problem, and maybe its just what HHS is giving to BNO ahead of time.

BNO Hospitalization total = HHS Adult Confirmed and Suspect COVID + HHS Pediatric Confirmed and Suspected COVID numbers.

BNO ICU total = 14,159. This is equal to the HHS Adult Confirmed COVID numbers, not "Confirmed and suspected," which would be fine if they were consistent. That number is 16,644 - an increase of 2,276.

ALL TIME HIGH
NH (86%)

OCTOBER High

7 DAY HIGH
TX (89%)

ALL TIME LOW
SC (74%)
VA/IN (69%)
TN (68%)
IL (64%)

OCTOBER LOW
AL (81%)
PA (79%)
WV (78%)
OH/IA (76%)
MD (68%)

7 Day Low
AK (84%)
NV (83%)
MI/NC (81%)
ME (76%)
OR (72%)
HI (71%)
NY/LA (70%)
AZ (63%)

SIGNIFICANT CHANGES
Legend: 90%+ = Red, 80% = Orange, 70% = Yellow, Light green =50+, dark green = New Jersey

PA/MA/IA Orange to Yellow
IN/TN/MD/VA Yellow to Light Green
Should I do any other time frame? I was thinking 30 days/5 days/3 days? Thoughts?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

alg posted:

ok cool my heart won't explode right

Probably not :)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hadlock posted:

The nose has a really poo poo immunity and the mucus membranes there are where you're most likely to pick up the infection, therefore that's the best location to get the highest sample rate

If they're testing the bacteria in a pimple on your forehead, they don't swab your ear or your rear end in a top hat even though there may be trace amounts of staph there too

All PCR tests are done by swabbing the throat here. Rapid tests are gone, but they swabbed the nose. Campbell theorised that breakthrough infections mainly caused runny noses and sneezing because the infection might be localised to the nasal region before the antibody response ramped up and killed it. Should we be swabbing noses instead?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I just love love looove walking into a tiny elevator that smells like Vicks vaporub after someone without a mask got off. Lol. Owned. Rip me

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Didn't some research find that intravenous vaxx doses were causing heart problems and not (correctly administered) intramuscular doses? I can't remember if that was thread canon at this point or just another pre-print.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pooky posted:

Didn't some research find that intravenous vaxx doses were causing heart problems and not (correctly administered) intramuscular doses? I can't remember if that was thread canon at this point or just another pre-print.

The jury is still out, but it seems to be a contributing factor according to animal studies. Apparently you get a metallic taste in your mouth if it happens?

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Hadlock posted:

Ok so stupid question: I've had a sore throat and productive cough for a few days now but my nasal rapid tests have all come back negative. Is my covid simply being stored in my throat (and balls)?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

SC (74%)
VA/IN (69%)
TN (68%)
IL (64%)

:whatup:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

blatman posted:

i'm hoping for a malariant tbh

covid that's both aerosol and transmitted by mosquitos

I’ve got a parable for that one. A friend of mine is in the kitchen at a popular bar, and the menu involves a lot of pickled stuff. Some time ago, they’ve got a line around the block, they’re pissed, they’ve got a container of pickled radishes, it’s getting late, people are not leaving, the smaller pans for the radishes will need to be filled eventually, the kitchen can’t hear their own music over the incessant woo-ing. They did what any of us would do.

The end of the story is that customers started closing out and clearing off. The moral is that they’re fine with an odorless respiratory virus that has already killed seven tenths of a million americans and may kill them or anyone else they happen to meet, but they’ll run gagging from a wet radish.

If covid smelled like something or were visible or spread by an insect, I think we’d have it solved by now. If it just instantly killed you, we’d probably take it seriously. It’s just got this perfect blind spot where it can’t be contained because it’s over and everyone interacts with a hundred other people before/if they realize they’re sick. I wish covid smelled bad, we’d be done by now.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 25, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

drunk dumb question: is it useful to think of European nations the same as I do individual US states?

you can do it, but... is useful?

the most important differences are cultural and geografical

like on the countries of the south of europe people live to old age and familiar bonds are strong, ... a lot of older people create a large target for covid to do damage, more familiar meetings mean more transmision

north of the frontiers of the old roman empire there are countries that deal with coronavirus has a cost-benefict formula, ignoring human suffering. UK considered for a long time to ignore covid existing. Other countries nearby did the same ... for a limited time, until covid started collapsing the whole health system and people with unrelated illness died.

- - - -

individual US states could be classified has red / blue north / south. A red US state of the south is going to have a leadership that is going to try to ignore the problem, capitalize on health measures to gain votes by going against these measures.

I don't see any use to going to "state level" to characterice covid responses, even on USA seems more a regional/cultural thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

The jury is still out, but it seems to be a contributing factor according to animal studies. Apparently you get a metallic taste in your mouth if it happens?

That last part sounds pretty dubious.

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Ok so stupid question: I've had a sore throat and productive cough for a few days now but my nasal rapid tests have all come back negative. Is my covid simply being stored in my throat (and balls)?

Probably not. Though rapid tests are like 1.5€ here. No idea if the result would be meaningful, but might as well swab your throat if it gives you peace of mind.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Mmmmm. Soothingly minty. Smells like, death

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

genericnick posted:

That last part sounds pretty dubious.

From what I understand it's not uncommon with IV, whereas it's not supposed to happen if you're jabbed in a muscle. I dunno, not a medical professional, ignore me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I'm not a doctor but if you've gotten two negative tests, chances are

1) you don't have covid
2. You have the ay.33 test escape variant

Since this is the :tinfoil::hf::hmmrona: thread I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's #2

If it's in your balls, so help you God

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pooky posted:

I believe that intravenous administration has been shown to cause stuff like clotting in animals, but it's not known whether accidental intravenous administration in humans is actually happening and responsible for any side effects that have been reported.

Thread favorite John Campbell has been pushing this hypothesis but it has yet to be verified at all.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mystes posted:

I believe that intravenous administration has been shown to cause stuff like clotting in animals, but it's not known whether incorrect administration is actually occurring and that is causing side effects in humans.

Thread favorite John Campbell has been pushing this hypothesis but it has yet to be verified at all.

I thought it was myocarditis? Or maybe it's both.

FWIW, he's not saying it's the sole cause, but it's obviously unethical to verify via human trials and even if it isn't an issue there's no logical reason whatsoever not to aspirate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Everyone is back in the office as of today, and no one knows where one of the engineers is. I'm seriously going to laugh my rear end off if it's COVID.

Also the demoted boomer is already complaining and coughing in the cube next to mine

mystes
May 31, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I thought it was myocarditis? Or maybe it's both.

FWIW, he's not saying it's the sole cause, but it's obviously unethical to verify via human trials and even if it isn't an issue there's no logical reason whatsoever not to aspirate.
I guess the reason they don't do it is that injecting into a vein would be pretty unlikely given the spot that they use for the injections and it would make the shots take longer and be more painful for everyone.

I'm not in a position to evaluate whether they should just do it to be safe or not but it doesn't seem to a consensus opinion that they should do it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My son brought a cold or something home from preschool last week and it's been so long since I've been sick that I don't know how to deal with this.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Did something happen that I wasn't aware of that caused nearly every house that was flying a trump flag or American flag to suddenly put up a Christian nationalist flag at half mast?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mystes posted:

I guess the reason they don't do it is that injecting into a vein would be pretty unlikely given the spot that they use for the injections and it would make the shots take longer and be more painful for everyone.

I'm not in a position to evaluate whether they should just do it to be safe or not but it doesn't seem to a consensus opinion that they should do it.

They do it universally here, it takes like two seconds and isn't painful at all. It's unlikely to happen but then so are vaccine injuries.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1452319935661805580

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

More specifically, everyone but Perth/WA is opening er up at 80% or 90% vaxxed (Tasmania only at 90%). NT is requiring five different regions to hit 80% independently though so that might take a while with all the remote aboriginal groups.

Only two states have covid at all right now so this is utterly insane of course. Most states will hit 80 well before Christmas.

i had a dream last night that i was in a mall trying to buy a gift card? and corporate hq denied me over the phone. they started asking me who the prime minister of australia was and i started yelling at them i hope you all get covid its coming for you you idiots. i even mentioned only perth is safe

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Iron Crowned posted:

Get back to work!

o, ok, so we're back to regular degular smegular hellscape

don't die, iron crowned ;_;

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

durrneez posted:

o, ok, so we're back to regular degular smegular hellscape

don't die, iron crowned ;_;

I wear my respirator for 8 hours a day and I'm getting Max Titors'd after work today. I'm better off than the rest of the clowns in this plague pit.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gonna be interesting to see what hospitalisations look like come winter once most people's immunity has waned. Seems like it's surging kinda fast at the moment.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Good morning, Covid thread. I mostly just lurk and try not to pester everyone with questions, but I wanted to bounce a few points of confusion against the hivemind for some much appreciated guidance.

I've had both Pfizer doses. My understanding is that I can max out the efficacy by asking for a 3rd dose (not a booster) for Moderna. My two points of worry:

1. Will I be challenged on being immunocompromised and have the shot refused?
2. Will my evidence of two Pfizer shots and the blatant obvious fact that I'm switching teams have the shot refused?

Thank you all and god bless.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

45,000 people went to a rolling stones concert here in minneapolis last night lol

quote:

No proof of vaccination or other COVID-related requirements were implemented at the concert, which made some fans nervous but others relieved.

"It was nice knowing the shots weren't required, or we wouldn't be here," said Sherry Vennes, an unvaccinated fan from Maple Lake. "Let everyone decide for themselves."

how long until she's on a vent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Wearing a mask is so loving easy, you absolutely can continue wearing one in indoor public places indefinitely, lol

honestly, a big takeaway for me is that I should have been wearing a mask every time I did concerts or card tournaments during high transmission seasons before COVID, and if I had, I would have gotten sick a lot less over the last 15 years.

Dumb people can do whatever the gently caress they want but I'm pretty sure we're just on the "n95s for shopping/etc, always" plan from now until Complete Desertification, because COVID aside getting sick sucks and the degree to which American social culture pre-COVID was just one loving disease pit to me never really crossed my mind.

I started thinking about this in 2016 when I went from a 300 person office to being fully remote, and also went from getting badly sick 2-3x every winter to not getting sick at all until our kid was in daycare bringing poo poo back.

I've been dropping kiddo off at (outdoor, thankfully) preschool lately wearing my Envo w/MasterVlad skull mods. The main teacher who runs the school thought it was hilarious and pointed it out to the other teacher who also did, so I went ahead and said "I've been shopping in this, and it's great. No one even makes eye contact, let alone coming up to try to talk to me about my kid or the weather. It's like I have a personal shield around me".

They approved. It's a cool preschool. I was slightly afraid they were gonna say "hey some of the kids find that scary" but actually it turns out that 3-5 year olds think bright blue skull masks are Pretty Cool.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 25, 2021