Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not surprised that they named their subreddit that but also at the same time do they never actually realize what kind of look it gives off when they name themselves after a faction where it literally takes the vast majority of the books before they reach a point where someone might even remotely be able to turn them around and make them not a bunch of highly, morally corrupt fascists?

Thin red shepherd's crook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not surprised that they named their subreddit that but also at the same time do they never actually realize what kind of look it gives off when they name themselves after a faction where it literally takes the vast majority of the books before they reach a point where someone might even remotely be able to turn them around and make them not a bunch of highly, morally corrupt fascists?

One would think, but apparently actually no, there's never a "are we the baddies?" realization with these people. Maybe they realize it but they don't care?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

You'd need a reason for Perrin to gently caress off from Rand for the back half of the series

Have him go help Elayne take back the throne, seems like an obvious way to tie together two bad plots.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Johnny Joestar posted:

That's a feature not a bug for them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One would think, but apparently actually no, there's never a "are we the baddies?" realization with these people. Maybe they realize it but they don't care?

i mostly have to assume they don't care and view it as the point, but there's not even like a 'good' thing to gesture towards throughout the series when it comes to them. they're just a bunch of inept and dumb as poo poo people led by overtly corrupt leaders and it takes galad pretty much weeding the entire garden before there's even the basis of something that won't suck poo poo.

it's baffling.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jaxyon posted:

I'm up to Trollocs attacking Emonds field and so far the only even vaguely racial description has been that Egwene had the same dark coloring as Nynaeve.

So if there's any racists out there they can gently caress off even more than usual.

The only consistent physical description of Two Rivers folk is dark hair and eyes. By implication, Tam's skintone must be something where he could plausibly be Rand's father, and Rand's skintone is ... not really explicitly stated, but he has dark red hair and blue-grey eyes, and his biological ancestors are people who get sunburned easily. But also, from context, the people of Andor are slightly darker in complexion than those of Cairhien, since I feel like "pale Cairhienin" is said almost as much as "copper-skinned Domani" (and our perspective characters are all from Andor or its backcountry).

I always have a decently strong sense that, in terms of appearance, the peoples of Randland are (mostly) more racially homogeneous/delineated than makes sense given the backstory. And it's almost never relevant for the story.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

And it's almost never relevant for the story.

this is an essential point. It's mentioned here and there, people from here look like this, people from there look like that...and no one ever comments on it, and it doesn't matter to anyone aside from "well clearly that's an Aiel" or whatever.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vavrek posted:

The only consistent physical description of Two Rivers folk is dark hair and eyes. By implication, Tam's skintone must be something where he could plausibly be Rand's father, and Rand's skintone is ... not really explicitly stated, but he has dark red hair and blue-grey eyes, and his biological ancestors are people who get sunburned easily. But also, from context, the people of Andor are slightly darker in complexion than those of Cairhien, since I feel like "pale Cairhienin" is said almost as much as "copper-skinned Domani" (and our perspective characters are all from Andor or its backcountry).

I always have a decently strong sense that, in terms of appearance, the peoples of Randland are (mostly) more racially homogeneous/delineated than makes sense given the backstory. And it's almost never relevant for the story.

Eh, wasn't Kari Al'Thor a red haired Andoran girl? Even if Tam is of dark complexion, everyone could just be assuming Rand got his looks from his "mother". :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think rand's looks were noted as being slightly outside of the norm for that area but not really notable enough on that front unless you were someone who had actual real contact with the aiel, in which case he was sort of a dead-ringer in a way where it stood out enough to be of note.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mostly have to assume they don't care and view it as the point, but there's not even like a 'good' thing to gesture towards throughout the series when it comes to them. they're just a bunch of inept and dumb as poo poo people led by overtly corrupt leaders and it takes galad pretty much weeding the entire garden before there's even the basis of something that won't suck poo poo.

it's baffling.

For some people, gently caress you I'm a moron deal with it seems to be the point, yeah.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

jng2058 posted:

Eh, wasn't Kari Al'Thor a red haired Andoran girl? Even if Tam is of dark complexion, everyone could just be assuming Rand got his looks from his "mother". :shrug:

Even parents where both have dark skin sometimes produce much lighter children, as anyone from a family with dark skin can tell you.

Also it's entirely possible the town knew Rand was adopted and just politely didn't speak of it.

But as previously was said, race is almost completely irrelevant in the series other than the author intentionally making it clear that it's not just or even mostly white people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

this is an essential point. It's mentioned here and there, people from here look like this, people from there look like that...and no one ever comments on it, and it doesn't matter to anyone aside from "well clearly that's an Aiel" or whatever.

We do see a certain amount of in-universe racism. People have biases against the Tuathan'an or there's the stereotype of "Acting like a black-veiled Aiel" or whatever.

Importantly these are always, without exception, shown to be inaccurate and unfair prejudices.

For all the (often justified) criticism of these books, Jordan was at least trying to be progressive in his fiction, especially for the time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We do see a certain amount of in-universe racism. People have biases against the Tuathan'an or there's the stereotype of "Acting like a black-veiled Aiel" or whatever.

Importantly these are always, without exception, shown to be inaccurate and unfair prejudices.

For all the (often justified) criticism of these books, Jordan was at least trying to be progressive in his fiction, especially for the time.

The Aiel one is an interesting one. Particularly since the only contact most people would have had at all with them is when they boiled over the Dragonwall and made a mockery of every army thrown their way. I like that it's completely understandable in-universe, just as the reasons they did that are completely understandable in-universe. Really plays into the whole no communication thing Jordan did so well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah there's plenty of prejudice directed at specific ethnic groups and nationalities, it just doesn't generally map on to skin color in any obvious way

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rereading New Spring, it makes sense why Moiraine and Siuan would look for normal Randland mothers and newborn babies. But once she got to Emond's Field, where three boys are the right age, and one of them inexplicitly looks like an Aiel, with Moiraine knowing that the Dragon was reborn during the very last battle of the Aiel War, she simply must have pegged Rand as the one she was searching for.

By the way, did we every learn why Moiraine came to Emond's Field in the first place? Why she thought there were possible Dragon Reborn candidates there?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Torrannor posted:

By the way, did we every learn why Moiraine came to Emond's Field in the first place? Why she thought there were possible Dragon Reborn candidates there?

Explaining this was gonna be the third of RJ's planned prequels

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

In tgh when she gives the background of Tam, I assume it was recently discovered info, given what their plans were wrt tdr

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

The other part of the story where I feel like it's relevant is the Seanchan. The Seanchan Empire is a sprawling, continent-wide, multiethnic empire, and I feel like you do get an impression of it as being different from Randland in that way. Within Randland, you just get stuff like "ah yes, the Arafellan man, with the two long braids and the bells in his hair," (That's Arafel, right?). For our POV characters, they're trying to understand "the Seanchan" when in fact Seanchan is a diverse continent and the Ever Victorious Army draws from the entire continent, instead of being a collection of local regional armies (as in, the armies of Tear, Andor, and Ghealdan fighting alongside each other as separate units). It highlights, by contrast, how divided the lands of Randland are from each other.

jng2058 posted:

Yeah. I thought about saying something of Rand getting his looks from his mom. For basic hair and eye colors, Rand does look a lot like Kari, based on what's said of her. It's still a bit of a constraint on Tam's appearance, though, which is why I left the comment off. What I mean is, Rand doesn't look so little like Tam that he's obviously a foundling. Tam, Kari, and Rand didn't show up and have all of Emond's Field think (of Tam) "Oh, you married this war widow and adopted her son."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's a little funky, because if Moiraine'd heard the name "Tam Al'Thor" there wouldn't be much question who she was looking for, and she'd know right away it was Rand, not Mat or Perrin. So she must have somehow heard about "There was this guy from the buttfuck nowhere part of Western Andor who went back there after the war with his wife and new baby," but without getting the guy's exact name. I'd have thought that a Blademaster wouldn't be too hard to identify among his old comrades, but who knows? :shrug:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jng2058 posted:

It's a little funky, because if Moiraine'd heard the name "Tam Al'Thor" there wouldn't be much question who she was looking for, and she'd know right away it was Rand, not Mat or Perrin. So she must have somehow heard about "There was this guy from the buttfuck nowhere part of Western Andor who went back there after the war with his wife and new baby," but without getting the guy's exact name. I'd have thought that a Blademaster wouldn't be too hard to identify among his old comrades, but who knows? :shrug:

yeah it's not like perrin and mat's dads were vets (or if they were i've totally forgotten). maybe she got the information through some prophecy/whatever and only knew the region

edit: vvvv that's probably it, even if she knew rand was probably it, the shadow wants all three kids so you might as well make sure that doesn't happen

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

Even if you knew the name of the vet, you show up in the village and there are three kids the right age, and the Dark One is targeting all three of their homes, you'd want to grab all three just to be on the safe side. Maybe there was a baby swap or something and you don't want to gently caress up and leave the wrong kid back in bumfuck.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I feel like Moiraine didn't know the name Tamlin al'Thor when heading to the Two Rivers, and did research once she had a moment to rest.

"Okay, who in the light is Tam al'Thor?"
[read read read]
"He was the Second Captain of the Companions?!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It seemed like the information she had was "dude came home from war with a baby that wasn't his, he fought at Tar Valon." She was able to pretty rapidly identify Perrin and Mat by age, but until she heard Tam had rolled into town she didn't actually seem to be aware of him. I'd guess that when she heard the cart arriving she stuck her head out to see who and what, leading to her meeting Rand.
I'm a little hazy on how long she had been in the village before Tam and Rand arrived, but it didn't seem like long enough to have heard about them living out in the forest - that, or she'd also heard that they were due in before Winternight, so stayed put.

As for how she knew - she was shown to be exceptional at ferreting out information (how DID she know it was Sammael in Illian?!)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Data Graham posted:

This only showed up what, like twice? And there's all these other increasingly efficient methods of Fast Travel they keep discovering as time goes on. Everyone always says WoT is a shonen anime; eh, more like it's a JRPG

Yeah it doesn't last for very long and I think it's most notable use is (I think) Asmodean and Rand battling to Rhuidean on plates?

I brought it up as a way to travel faster, but still have time to communicate. Sit down for a spot of tea on your way instead of gateway straight there. Of course no one wants to talk to each other so there's that.

Also yes WoT does seem built as a JRPG with scaling, stacking, and advancing techniques that change with growth in power and expertise.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

This only showed up what, like twice? And there's all these other increasingly efficient methods of Fast Travel they keep discovering as time goes on. Everyone always says WoT is a shonen anime; eh, more like it's a JRPG

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yeah it doesn't last for very long and I think it's most notable use is (I think) Asmodean and Rand battling to Rhuidean on plates?

It was pretty loving awesome when the Skimming platform makes a return with Mat and the gholam though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vavrek posted:

I feel like Moiraine didn't know the name Tamlin al'Thor when heading to the Two Rivers, and did research once she had a moment to rest.

"Okay, who in the light is Tam al'Thor?"
[read read read]
"He was the Second Captain of the Companions?!"

Even that, while him being in the Two Rivers is a bit odd, it wasn't like some huge post that absolutely everyone knows who he is nor is it a super famous post. He certainly would have been known in Illian's army and probably their nobility with having a heron mark blade, but it's not like he's one of the Great Captains.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It seemed like the information she had was "dude came home from war with a baby that wasn't his, he fought at Tar Valon." She was able to pretty rapidly identify Perrin and Mat by age, but until she heard Tam had rolled into town she didn't actually seem to be aware of him. I'd guess that when she heard the cart arriving she stuck her head out to see who and what, leading to her meeting Rand.
I'm a little hazy on how long she had been in the village before Tam and Rand arrived, but it didn't seem like long enough to have heard about them living out in the forest - that, or she'd also heard that they were due in before Winternight, so stayed put.

As for how she knew - she was shown to be exceptional at ferreting out information (how DID she know it was Sammael in Illian?!)

Moiraine didn't know it wasn't Tam's baby, the only people who knew were the Wisdoms, him, and Kari. He and Kari said it was theirs and no one had any reason to question.

She did know Rand was born outside the Two Rivers and was of the right age but beyond that she was as in the dark as Rand was initially. Definitely a reason to think it's probably him but she didn't know for sure.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I can think of three main themes of the series:
  1. Men and women are best when they work together, and worst when they are at odds
  2. They are most often at odds because they fail to communicate clearly what they want, what they assume, what they expect of others, and just a general failure of empathy, self-understanding, or imagination
  3. because of this and just the general unpredictable nature of reality, the best-laid plans will still go sideways and nothing turns out like you expect - the ones who succeed are those who are flexible and adaptable

With that in mind, Fain should have served as a wild card in the last battle, throwing both armies into chaos and generally mucking things up, maybe threatening a return of Shadar Logoth or Mashadar um constrained and forcing them to deal with an unpredictable threat

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ehhhh.... I'm kind of working from the idea that Moiraine identified The Two Rivers as the place to look because of Tam's history.
New Spring made clear the Tower was looking for babies of a certain age.
I can't imagine Tam returning from Dragonmount with a baby was completely overlooked by everyone he fought with.
Put it all together and I'd say Moiraine got wind of a soldier who returned to the Two Rivers from Illian with a baby after the battle at Tar Valon.

Thats how it all hangs together in my mind, anyway. I can't really think how else she would have wound up there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The wheel wheels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

seaborgium posted:

She did know Rand was born outside the Two Rivers and was of the right age but beyond that she was as in the dark as Rand was initially. Definitely a reason to think it's probably him but she didn't know for sure.

It's not clear that she knew that when she showed up. She.might have only found out from nynaeve later.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The wheel wheels

It do be do be do be do

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

4. Everyone knows exactly what a given prophecy must mean and acts following that knowledge; they are, of course, wrong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ehhhh.... I'm kind of working from the idea that Moiraine identified The Two Rivers as the place to look because of Tam's history.
New Spring made clear the Tower was looking for babies of a certain age.
I can't imagine Tam returning from Dragonmount with a baby was completely overlooked by everyone he fought with.
Put it all together and I'd say Moiraine got wind of a soldier who returned to the Two Rivers from Illian with a baby after the battle at Tar Valon.

Thats how it all hangs together in my mind, anyway. I can't really think how else she would have wound up there.

Mightn't it have been some "hey I think Manetheren used to be around here" kind of thing?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think literally one of the reasons she goes to two rivers is because it's one of the very few places they have yet to check and basically no one from the white tower ever goes there in the first place. it's why they comment so much about finding so many potential channelers there later on in the series, it's a place they had written off for the most part and ignored.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SerSpook posted:

it should be fine, post away friend

Spoilers for the extended trailers / episode 1.

The first scene is an extended cut of what we've seen of Egwene getting dumped into a river. This is part of her induction into the women's circle by Nynaeve and is almost certainly a metaphor for Saidar as Egwene is told to let the river take her and she ends up safe as soon as she stops struggling against it. Notably she's getting her braid as she's inducted so presumably in this version every woman of age is in the circle?

The second scene we see is what we've seen before, Moraine walks into the inn in Emond's field and everyone is surprised by her and they all recognise her as Aes Sedai. There's nothing hugely different from what you've observed in the trailers here.

The third scene is an extended look at Winternight. The trollocs show up during the celebrations and murder the hell, we're talking spikes through heads, of some of the people there. There's a huge panic as Egwene and Nynaeve find shelter behind a cart and watch the carnage. Mat and Perrin get to safety, but Mat realises the girls aren't with them and goes back out into the town to find them. To me this is honestly a hugely important bit for Mat that does a wonder for his character immediately.

We also cut to Rand and Tam fighting a trolloc invading their home. This time instead of running Rand fights a single Trolloc with Tam and they manage to beat it out with Tam taking his near fatal injury as a result. I don't think Narg is showing up.

The last scene is probably the most important to me. Moraine explicitly tells Rand/Mat/Perrin/Egwene that one of them is the Dragon Reborn and she doesn't know which. Which is markedly different from how closely she plays it to her chest in the books. She tells them straight up that if they stay in Emond's Field the Dark one's armies, that they can see in the Mountains of Mist will come after them and kill everyone in the town.

It ends with the paragraph and the beginning of Chapter 1 of the Eye of the World, with a wind rising in the Mountains of Mist.

Overall I felt what changes there were didn't feel gratuitous and it looks great in motion. It feels a lot less subdued in tone than Game of Thrones did, specifically looking at the colour and dynamism of what you see on screen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Quoting from the TV thread:

Amazon has a new interactive page up for the show. There's a map!

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Season-1/dp/B09F59CZ7R

Nothing particularly revolutionary for book readers, but neat nevertheless. Make sure you log in to Amazon Prime to get access to the cool stuff.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the pattern made her go there, rand started tugging at the world from breath 1

imagine you have the Talent to see ta'veren and you see this baby just GLOWIN

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

Quoting from the TV thread:

Nothing particularly revolutionary for book readers, but neat nevertheless. Make sure you log in to Amazon Prime to get access to the cool stuff.

Yay new maps :neckbeard:

I think the places that get called out on this map are interesting. Notable missing from the expected book 1 script is Caemlyn (and Baerlon) and barely mentioned Breens Spring has a map marker

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't even remember breens spring.