Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if keeping a v “unreal” photoperiod like that could have any negative effects on plants

I imagine that running lights 24/7 would be bad for CAM plants in particular, like many succulents, which need nighttime to perform vital metabolic functions

Guess I know what literature I’m gonna be looking at this morning :toot:

It's worth doing the math for your particular lights at the distance you have them running to figure out the PPFD they're actually offering so that you can start making comparisons to what the plants would be getting in the actual sun. Obviously the sun rises and sets and grow lights are just either on or off, so unless you're going ultra-bonkers you usually need a longer photo period. Even for non-CAM plants going 24/7 is probably a bad idea.

When you're starting to look at those kind of daily calculations the key search term is Daily Light Integral (DLI) which is basically just PPFD/day. There's a really interesting map of both annual and per month average DLIs across the US available on this site.

I've been running 16 hours for about a year now, probably, and all most of my succulantes are doing very nicely with it. I do have a Tylecodon wallichii that immediately dropped all of its leaves after shipping and hasn't grown any back, but I don't think the lights have anything to do with it. I have had to shuffle a few plants around, though, as e.g. my Gymnocalycium will basically go into full dormancy if it gets too much light even though it won't burn.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if keeping a v “unreal” photoperiod like that could have any negative effects on plants

I imagine that running lights 24/7 would be bad for CAM plants in particular, like many succulents, which need nighttime to perform vital metabolic functions

Guess I know what literature I’m gonna be looking at this morning :toot:

18/6 is normal on/off time for cannabis vegetative growth so 16/8 is probably fine

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Hey Gardeners,

I've got some liquid fertilizer that recommends applying 1 gallon of diluted solution per 1000 square ft. Aside from the fact that I'm only growing maybe 100 sq feet at the moment, I'm not 100% sure how I can apply such a small amount on such a large area. 100 sq feet would come out to about 13 oz of solution, ideally spread somewhat evenly I would imagine.

I'm thinking maybe one of those pump sprayers?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's meant to be diluted with water and sprayed.

You can probably get away with a quart sized pump sprayer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

drk posted:

Hey Gardeners,

I've got some liquid fertilizer that recommends applying 1 gallon of diluted solution per 1000 square ft. Aside from the fact that I'm only growing maybe 100 sq feet at the moment, I'm not 100% sure how I can apply such a small amount on such a large area. 100 sq feet would come out to about 13 oz of solution, ideally spread somewhat evenly I would imagine.

I'm thinking maybe one of those pump sprayers?

You could use a watering can if you really wanted to, but pump sprayer is probably easier. It might be easier to get more consistent coverage by spraying a gallon over 100 sq. ft-just use 1/10th the amount of fertilizer concentrate it calls for for 1000 sq ft. That works well with fertilizers and can be safer for the plants, but don't do it with herbicides/fungicides/insecticides.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwHPb66Ag_c

I almost always enjoy Kristen's videos, but this was next level wonderful.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've not read the thread since spring, maybe midsummer, but here's a little video about a little bit of attempting to save some things indoors from the garden over winter. Also, a video message to Hexigrammus on Vancouver Island about Solanum villosum.https://youtu.be/WBepQX1CUeM

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
This year's pepper harvest was bountiful, aside from the dragon's breath plant that got shaded out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat, I'm envious. Beautiful picture. Which of those do you expect to grow again next year?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Tremors posted:

This year's pepper harvest was bountiful, aside from the dragon's breath plant that got shaded out.

Got-drat! Freezing, drying, saucing?

I'm looking to branch out beyond ghosts/habs/jalapenos/cayenne next year. Have seeds for NuMex Suave Orange, Cajamarca, Mako Akokosrade on order and contemplating some pot-friendly varieties. Pepper nerd stuff is fun.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tremors posted:

Super awesome harvest. Pretty jealous myself. My super hots only sort of recovered from a cold June and then September and I got about 1/5 what I was expecting this year.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So I repotted my chives yesterday and while they seemed fine this morning, there's fuzz on them now. Their new pot does have a drainage hole (I had to drill one) but this has me worried. Is this a mildew I should panic about, or is it just mold fuzz from the soil being too moist? The rim on the new pot seems to be blocking light where their old one was short enough it didn't so I'm thinking that -might- be it but I'm not really sure.

Tremors posted:

Wow that's impressive. Really pretty peppers too, I love the peach and chocolate colors.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tremors posted:

How are you preserving such an amazing bounty?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat, I'm envious. Beautiful picture. Which of those do you expect to grow again next year?

I always grow carolina reaper and peach ghost scorpion as my standard superhots but I always mix it up with whatever sounds fun when I visit my favorite nursery. They specialize in peppers and have a list of 100+ varieties every year; not what you'd expect from Muncie, IN of all places. The bishop's crown and brazillian starfish are great pickled so those have been repeats for the past few years as well.

Chad Sexington posted:

Got-drat! Freezing, drying, saucing?

I'm looking to branch out beyond ghosts/habs/jalapenos/cayenne next year. Have seeds for NuMex Suave Orange, Cajamarca, Mako Akokosrade on order and contemplating some pot-friendly varieties. Pepper nerd stuff is fun.

Solkanar512 posted:

How are you preserving such an amazing bounty?

Most of the hot peppers will probably be frozen for future use. Some of them will be used soon to make some jellies and I also want to try to make a hot pepper tincture/bitters for cocktails. Some friends own a hard cider company and I've collabed with them before on a cider using the peach ghost scorpions, we'll see if that's in the cards again!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tremors posted:

Most of the hot peppers will probably be frozen for future use. Some of them will be used soon to make some jellies and I also want to try to make a hot pepper tincture/bitters for cocktails. Some friends own a hard cider company and I've collabed with them before on a cider using the peach ghost scorpions, we'll see if that's in the cards again!
You are very clearly living your best life, and I salute you.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Tyty posted:

So I repotted my chives yesterday and while they seemed fine this morning, there's fuzz on them now. Their new pot does have a drainage hole (I had to drill one) but this has me worried. Is this a mildew I should panic about, or is it just mold fuzz from the soil being too moist? The rim on the new pot seems to be blocking light where their old one was short enough it didn't so I'm thinking that -might- be it but I'm not really sure.

Mold isn't an issue. Just means you are watering too much. Stop watering until the top few inches are dry.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I don't know anything about growing flowers but I want to get some going for next year. I've seen a lot of advice about sowing seeds in the fall (and its written on many of my seed packets): Is the expectation that they will start growing now and survive the winter and keep growing, or are the seeds going to be dormant until spring rains? Or maybe they'll die back and return in the spring?

I'm in USDA Hardiness Zone 8b and we had an insanely hard freeze last February that I expect again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Generally the sorts of seeds you’d sow now in 8b would be dormant till spring.

Many seeds need cold exposure to germinate. Even though they won’t start growing immediately, you can’t sow them just before the spring rains and get them to grow. You have to have them in the field over winter.

If they start growing and then hit a big freeze, you’re in trouble. Plants have generally evolved to try to avoid that by not breaking dormancy till the danger of frost has passed, but obviously it does happen at times, especially with nonnative plants and climate change involved.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

So I wanted to overwinter a couple of my tomato plants inside. Pruned them way back to the main stem and set them up in two-gallon fabric bags in my basement. Both acquired some white mold on the stems. I'm not watering them overly much -- would the trick be to have a fan blowing nearby to keep up circulation? No mold on my nearby herbs and potatoes under grow lights.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

So I wanted to overwinter a couple of my tomato plants inside. Pruned them way back to the main stem and set them up in two-gallon fabric bags in my basement. Both acquired some white mold on the stems. I'm not watering them overly much -- would the trick be to have a fan blowing nearby to keep up circulation? No mold on my nearby herbs and potatoes under grow lights.

Fans are good, yes. Over wintering tomatoes isn't usually the greatest as they like to pick up disease and then you're stuck with it. Tomatoes are so easy to start and seeds are so readily available that there's usually not a point to it. Also make sure you're watering very little/none until they dry out more. You may want to grab some fungicide as well, just to see if you can keep things moving the right way so you keep your plants for next summer.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Hey all, quick indoor hydroponics question -- I'm just starting a pretty large garden, and I'm trying to do a mix of things like lettuce that like a nutrient PPM of like 550-850 and more fruiting stuff like tomatoes that like a nutrient PPM of 1400+.

Am I going to have any consequences besides less optimized production if I meet them in the middle, at a nutrient PPM of around 1200? Like, will it flat out kill them...or will it just not be perfect?

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Chad Sexington posted:

Your branches with spikes will grow new roots too. You might be bringing in fungi indoors with that soil around a main stem.

I brought in some cuttings yesterday to grow over winter to see if I can avoid buying hybrid seeds again.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

You will see leaf discoloration if things aren’t right and the plant isn’t happy but you won’t kill it before you can make adjustments.
I ran ph 5 water through the fill/drain system I made then over corrected to like ph 9 for a couple days lmao
Severe discoloration and leaves dropping off but I was able to save all of them.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Another fertilizing question: the fertilizer I have mentions it can be used for foliar feeding. Is this something that can be done on plants where the leaves are what's eaten (like salad greens), or should it just be done for things where the leaves arent eaten (like potatoes)?

ickna
May 19, 2004

drk posted:

Another fertilizing question: the fertilizer I have mentions it can be used for foliar feeding. Is this something that can be done on plants where the leaves are what's eaten (like salad greens), or should it just be done for things where the leaves arent eaten (like potatoes)?

Calmag?

It’s fine for both but typically not necessary for leafy plants unless you are using RO or distilled water

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

drk posted:

Yeah. Plants take in nutrients readily through their leaves. You can spray a dilution right onto them if you want, and as long as you wash them it’d be fine. You can not feed them for the last week or something before harvest too if you want.

However that’s all totally unnecessary; if you’re feeding them with it already they shouldn’t be hungry and if growing hydroponically they won’t need any extra food at all at all

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Somewhat broad based fish hydrosylate.

I'm... not a very successful gardener, but its not for lack of trying.

Largish tree is getting removed from our fairly small backyard which is going to greatly increase the number of sunlight hours available to the vegetable garden. Hopefully that helps... I think I'm good on watering, and I live in Zone 9 California where vegetables are grown more or less year round, so its not climate either.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

unbutthurtable posted:

Hey all, quick indoor hydroponics question -- I'm just starting a pretty large garden, and I'm trying to do a mix of things like lettuce that like a nutrient PPM of like 550-850 and more fruiting stuff like tomatoes that like a nutrient PPM of 1400+.

Am I going to have any consequences besides less optimized production if I meet them in the middle, at a nutrient PPM of around 1200? Like, will it flat out kill them...or will it just not be perfect?

I think it'll be alright for at least semi-mature lettuce, but that may be a bit strong for seedlings. (Though lettuce seeds are cheap, so...yolo?)

It might be worth necro-ing the hydroponics thread to cross-post there:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jabronie posted:

Your branches with spikes will grow new roots too. You might be bringing in fungi indoors with that soil around a main stem.

I brought in some cuttings yesterday to grow over winter to see if I can avoid buying hybrid seeds again.

I actually washed all the soil (or as much as I could) off the root ball before repotting and bringing it in. Probably not enough to eliminate spores, but I did my best to negate bugs.

I'm aware this is a pretty low-reward endeavor, but I wanted to experiment with trying to give some maters a headstart next spring. I'm a little worried about actually giving them a headstart on blight instead, so I may just try and isolate them and still see what happens.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm planning to get big cloth pots for some balcony gardening next spring, and fill them up this month with alternating series of soil (likely from home depot) and compostable materials, mostly greens and shredded cardboard. I'm in the bay area and expect to get some amount of decent rain this winter but no real freezes (or at least extended ones). Will the rain as it soaks / drains from these cloth pots carry a high amount of nutrition out of the soil? Is there anyway I should come up with a better plan?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

who has grandmas secret wisteria care guide.pdf for me?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

grandmas secret wisteria care guide.pdf posted:

let wisteria do whatever and it'll take over eventually

around here stopping it once it's started is a much harder problem than starting it. mileage may vary according to your climate I suppose

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
anybody ever grow nicotiana as an ornamental? any shorter, bushier varieties? or will i just have to keep them short myself?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

who has grandmas secret wisteria care guide.pdf for me?

You need to tell us your climate, your soil, and what you want. Where are you, what's the climate zone, what's up with the current wisteria? Are you worried about it taking over? (it will) Are you worried it isn't flowering enough? Are you worried it's losing leaves? Do you just want it to keep doing what it's doing?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

anybody ever grow nicotiana as an ornamental? any shorter, bushier varieties? or will i just have to keep them short myself?

I grew N. alata (jasmine scented nicotine) from seed this year and really liked it. I'm in western Oregon and it's still blooming a bit but the smell has mostly disappeared at this point. Can't totally remember but I think it started blooming in like late June. The tallest flower stalks are about 3 feet tall.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m really into seeing if I can get bits of plants to grow, here’s some lettuce, with the bottom foil removed for the photo.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I grew a lot of lettuce and celery from veggie butts at the start of the pandemic.
The celery is still growing but it's noticeably more bitter than the original celery.
The lettuce is all dead now.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have suggestions on sites to buy large pot trays? I need 21 inch diameter trays for my 20 gallon cloth pots to sit on so I don't stain the patio, and the largest I found was 17 inch diameter pot trays.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone have suggestions on sites to buy large pot trays? I need 21 inch diameter trays for my 20 gallon cloth pots to sit on so I don't stain the patio, and the largest I found was 17 inch diameter pot trays.

Gro Pro makes them.

Shipping is probably going to cost you a pretty penny if you can’t get them locally, but there are online retailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I grew N. alata (jasmine scented nicotine) from seed this year and really liked it. I'm in western Oregon and it's still blooming a bit but the smell has mostly disappeared at this point. Can't totally remember but I think it started blooming in like late June. The tallest flower stalks are about 3 feet tall.

this sounds good. I'll look into it more. thanks!