Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's interesting - I'm in Oregon, so there is still a fair amount of undeveloped space, but even so we are seeing cougars and bears showing up more as towns expand outward. The foxes and bobcats seem to stay the hell away, though - I've rarely seen the former, and never seen the latter. Coyotes are around but in very small numbers - I've seen like 3 in the last 5 years, and only one in town.

That's also really interesting. I'm in southeastern Louisiana, so while we do have cougars and black bear, they are extremely rare and relegate themselves to the swamp/marsh. It's my understanding that coyote inhabit areas where wolves have been extirpated. That's the case here with red wolves, which is a species discussion probably best in another thread.

e: Sorry that I could not provide a better snipe

Mushika fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah i see them bitches when I'm hiking. Sometimes they're just chilling, sometimes hunting, sometimes going for a walk.

In short coyotes dgaf and will do whatever, whenever.

There is a reason trickster spirits were portrayed as coyotes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mushika posted:

That's also really interesting. I'm in southeastern Louisiana, so while we do have cougars and black bear, they are extremely rare and relegate themselves to the swamp/marsh. It's my understanding that coyote inhabit areas where wolves have been extirpated. That's the case here with red wolves, which is a species discussion probably best in another thread.

e: Sorry that I could not provide a better snipe

With the cougars it's really a matter of territory. An adult cougar needs a big-rear end range to cover, and they will fight each other to maintain it. Once baby cougars grow up they have to go out and find their own big-rear end territory, which gets harder and harder as towns expand out into formerly wild areas. Relocating them doesn't help much, because the territories are so big that finding an area that doesn't already have a cougar staking it out is difficult. That's why we're seeing them show up in towns here - even with all the wild areas around, a lot of it is already staked out by resident cougars already.

Bears, I dunno. Bears gonna bear, as far as I know.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Coyote packs will send a lone female coyote out to befriend a bigger dog. They will go on a fun adventure that ends up like that Ice Cube song. Then you won't have your big dog either.

That is going to depend on the dog. My dog was pretty defensive of our land, and if a bunch of coyotes tried anything it probably would have ended up with a bunch of dead coyotes. She was a rare mixture of preternaturally smart, fairly large, and possessing exceptional skill at murder.

She had a particular hatred of burrowing animals for some reason, and would sit downwind of a gopher hole for hours, patiently waiting, until one stuck its head up. Then it was executed. This was all fine and good until one time we went to a resort that had all these cute prairie dogs on the property. Everyone lost track of the dog for a bit, and when she was located she had been going to town, just stacking the bodies like cordwood.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've had three fairly close daytime encounters with fully wild coyotes, all in really remote areas in the Mojave desert.
1. I was hiking in some dunes by myself and noticed some movement across a little valley in the dunes, about 100 yd away from me. It was a pair of coyotes trotting along keeping pace with me. They followed me pretty deliberately for about 20 minutes before they took off.

2. I was napping on a rock during a hike/climb, again by myself. I was woken up by the sound of a little rock scraping or tumbling. I sat up and there was a coyote just checking me out from a few feet away. He took off without much apparent concern.

3. I was sitting on the step of an idling backhoe, having a coffee break with the door open and music playing pretty loud. Three coyotes trotted right by me, maybe 20 ft away, took a quick look, and kept on without breaking stride.

Coyotes are not really concerned about humans at any hour of the day. They generally won't gently caress with us but it does not trouble them to be fairly close.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's a large park in Chicago with an enclosed "nature walk" path surrounded by tall grass. Coyotes have been known to nest in there, and at one point dog walkers would give them their dog treats and try to get them to play with their (presumably big) dogs. The coyotes eventually got relocated.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The raccoons where I’m at have become the dominant murder species. Friend of mine had a big ol’ family of them living in the green belt behind her home and apparently their learned her dogs bathroom schedule and hid under her deck and when the dog jumped off to use the bathroom they snatched it mid air and pulled it under the deck and ate it. This was mid day, they just gave zero shits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Corn Glizzy posted:

The raccoons where I’m at have become the dominant murder species. Friend of mine had a big ol’ family of them living in the green belt behind her home and apparently their learned her dogs bathroom schedule and hid under her deck and when the dog jumped off to use the bathroom they snatched it mid air and pulled it under the deck and ate it. This was mid day, they just gave zero shits.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Corn Glizzy posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn’t know they could do that.

gently caress raccoons.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

There's a large park in Chicago with an enclosed "nature walk" path surrounded by tall grass. Coyotes have been known to nest in there, and at one point dog walkers would give them their dog treats and try to get them to play with their (presumably big) dogs. The coyotes eventually got relocated.

I never cease to be amazed at how stupid people can be. Most people in the southwest seem to know better than this at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

gently caress raccoons.

In my experience, with more urban raccoons, how people treat them has an effect on their behavior. If people are scared of them they pick up on that and will do all sorts of poo poo. Years ago, after my beloved murderdog died, I lived in a nieghborhood where people were clearly afraid of racoons. The little bandits came into my house through the catdoor and went after the cat food, and when I came in they looked at me like "What are you gonna do, huh?" Then I grabbed my cricket bat and stepped up on them and they rethought their position rather rapidly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My friend had a like 80lbs German Shepard and it ran into a raccoon once. He though he got scratched. They were out in the county so he took out a .45 and blew it away. Then I get a phone call saying "Hey Pennywise. A raccoon attacked my dog and I killed it but I found a bunch of babies so I need someone to uh... deal with this.

So me, being a bleeding heart, took like 5 raccoon babies in my house (I lived at my parent's at the time) and bottle fed them for like 3-5 days. They were adorable but god drat they screamed all the time. My parents were not happy. Neither was I.

We got them to a wildlife shelter eventually. They were loving ADORABLE though. I named them all.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My friend had a like 80lbs German Shepard and it ran into a raccoon once. He though he got scratched. They were out in the county so he took out a .45 and blew it away. Then I get a phone call saying "Hey Pennywise. A raccoon attacked my dog and I killed it but I found a bunch of babies so I need someone to uh... deal with this.

So me, being a bleeding heart, took like 5 raccoon babies in my house (I lived at my parent's at the time) and bottle fed them for like 3-5 days. They were adorable but god drat they screamed all the time. My parents were not happy. Neither was I.

We got them to a wildlife shelter eventually. They were loving ADORABLE though. I named them all.

I thought this story was going somewhere more grim. Glad it didn't though.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
And that's why you shouldn't randomly kill animals!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Coyotes in the Chicago suburbs are terrifyingly large, but they also want absolutely nothing to do with people. I keep my cats indoors and my dogs roam the fenced back yard in a pack, so I'm in favor of live and let live. They keep the local small mammal population to manageable level.
Beats the poo poo out of hawks, who dropped three partially eaten rabbits into my yard this summer, which my dogs were super excited about.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

gently caress raccoons.

One time I was at a new years eve house party in new orleans and about 10 of us were hanging out on the second floor porch looking out over the back yard when all of a sudden there was a loud commotion from behind a shed and two, I'm not exaggerating, grown adult man sized raccoons tumbled out of a bush beating the living poo poo out of each other. they crossed the entire back yard and then disappeared over a fence.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah i see them bitches when I'm hiking. Sometimes they're just chilling, sometimes hunting, sometimes going for a walk.

In short coyotes dgaf and will do whatever, whenever.

We saw two strolling through a park and some soccer fields around 1pm in the suburbs northwest of denver a couple years back.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 28, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i am harry posted:

One time I was at a new years eve house party in new orleans and about 10 of us were hanging out on the second floor porch looking out over the back yard when all of a sudden there was a loud commotion from behind a shed and two, I'm not exaggerating, grown adult man sized raccoons tumbled out of a bush beating the living poo poo out of each other. they crossed the entire back yard and then disappeared over a fence.

Are you entirely sure that wasn't just two drunk hairy dudes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's apparently normal where I live (Phoenix) for neighborhoods to have a random neighborhood fox that just chills out somewhere and comes out at night to stalk across rooftops and hunt mice and things. There is or was (haven't seen it in a while) a medium-sized kit fox in my neighborhood that I see occasionally when I'm out at 3am

When I lived in Scottsdale sometimes big fat raccoons would shove themselves in and out of gutters

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is being on roofs a normal fox behavior? I always expect them to be in foxholes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Arizona is weird because they don't have racoons and most of the state doesn't have crows, so you get different animals taking over different roles. Where I was there were ravens instead of crows, and I think the skunks and roadrunners pretty much took the place of the raccoons. I could see foxes taking over part of that niche, too, but to my knowledge they weren't in the areas that I lived (central Arizona).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My family did this with a single raccoon kit, except none of the shelters would take her because we had touched her (even though mom and siblings were all dead), so we ended up with a semi-domesticated outdoor raccoon. We even went as far as to get her spayed and get her a rabies shot! Unfortunately raccoons are no match for cars and she passed away after ~2 years with us.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In my experience, with more urban raccoons, how people treat them has an effect on their behavior. If people are scared of them they pick up on that and will do all sorts of poo poo. Years ago, after my beloved murderdog died, I lived in a nieghborhood where people were clearly afraid of racoons. The little bandits came into my house through the catdoor and went after the cat food, and when I came in they looked at me like "What are you gonna do, huh?" Then I grabbed my cricket bat and stepped up on them and they rethought their position rather rapidly.

Absolutely this! If you see a raccoon around and you don't want to have raccoon problems, beat their rear end or at least chase them away. They are highly intelligent and they won't go somewhere they know will end in a fight unless they are desperate. Like, just grabbing a broom and chasing them and smacking them is enough for them to leave you alone for a good while.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pile of brown posted:

Arizona foxes are all atheists.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

pile of brown posted:

They must have been atheists.
Edit: beaten like a dog that got too close to a raccoon.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
My grandfather lived near a forest and he used to feed the raccoons that would come to his porch pretty much every night. They'd get on their back legs, peering into the window and looking at us

While it was cute, I'm sure whoever bought the house after he died was in for a real treat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dunno if I'd be trusted around raccoons not to give them anything they want, they seem like little fuzzy adorable parodies of people.

I wonder if they can be taught to dance.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 28, 2021

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My grandfather lived near a forest and he used to feed the raccoons that would come to his porch pretty much every night. They'd get on their back legs, peering into the window and looking at us

While it was cute, I'm sure whoever bought the house after he died was in for a real treat

Lol imagine the holy poo poo moment of your first few nights there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A zoo in Germany recently, as they do every morning routinely, counted their eight raccoons and discovered they had nine. One had snuck in during the night and they don't know how.

Best part is they're an invasive species in Germany, so the zoo can't set him free. He's set that up rather smartly.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Be careful.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

antibeeotics was right there

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Last year a family of foxes moved in under the boardwalk in the Toronto Beaches. It's not a raised boardwalk like Jersey or anything, it's just planks sitting maybe two feet above the sand at its highest point, so the foxes dug out a den in the sand beneath it. The city fenced off like 100ft radius around the den and released statements urging people not to approach the foxes, because they had become a bit of a local attraction. One of them was killed by someone's dog before the city could relocate them, and then earlier this year two more kits were killed and the home of someone who volunteered to monitor the family was vandalized.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Apparently those Eastern Coyotes that have hybridized with wolves killed the poo poo out of a Canadian hiker called Taylor Mitchell a few years ago. She didn't disturb them, they weren't starving to death. They hunted her and killed her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell

Probably worth being a bit careful if you find yourself being followed by predators in the woods.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Arizona is weird because they don't have racoons and most of the state doesn't have crows, so you get different animals taking over different roles. Where I was there were ravens instead of crows, and I think the skunks and roadrunners pretty much took the place of the raccoons. I could see foxes taking over part of that niche, too, but to my knowledge they weren't in the areas that I lived (central Arizona).

There are raccoons in Arizona

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HopperUK posted:

Apparently those Eastern Coyotes that have hybridized with wolves killed the poo poo out of a Canadian hiker called Taylor Mitchell a few years ago. She didn't disturb them, they weren't starving to death. They hunted her and killed her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell

Probably worth being a bit careful if you find yourself being followed by predators in the woods.

There have been some kids who've gotten bit by Coyotes around here in the last several years.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Even hybridized with dogs could be bad news. We spent a few hundred generations encouraging dogs not to fear man and to generally blunt their aggression. At the same time we did our best to encourage wolves and coyotes to fear humans and leave us alone. Cross those back together and you might get a friendly canine or a fearless one.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A conspiracy theorist I used to work with got started on this whole thing about how someone was controlling wild animals to make them attack people (in late 2019) so I started looking up news articles about people being attacked by wild animals and it's actually very, very frequent. Lots of reports of coyotes rampaging through towns biting several people, stray dogs banding together and attacking someone, even ornery foxes that like to bite.

There was no conspiracy though, there have been like a dozen reports a year about various small towns where local animal bandits beat people up stretching back as far as I looked

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It also doesn’t help that we are using up all their habitat on suburbs. Why wouldn’t they start getting aggressive they have no place else to go!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

deep dish peat moss posted:

A conspiracy theorist I used to work with got started on this whole thing about how someone was controlling wild animals to make them attack people (in late 2019) so I started looking up news articles about people being attacked by wild animals and it's actually very, very frequent. Lots of reports of coyotes rampaging through towns biting several people, stray dogs banding together and attacking someone, even ornery foxes that like to bite.

They probably just feel asleep watching Zoo.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Her comment was about how a lady with a sexy profile pic was asking for money but it was probably for drugs because she is an "apartment person". She got called a Karen in the comments (because she is acting like a Karen and her name is Karen! haha!) and then said "that's so 2020!!" and now its deleted. It had some other good poo poo in there too.

I live near where the suburbs start and that's QAnon country around here... the actual city is fine.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Ugh. My Nextdoor had a slap fight recently after a woman was asking for any kind of odd jobs she could do on nights and weekends for quick cash to help her catch up on rent before the eviction moratorium ran out. She had a full time job, but she was still behind after being laid off for COVID. So of course some assholes started talking poo poo about people trying to live off unemployment and not wanting to work. On a post where a woman was literally asking for jobs.

Oh, and I'm sure you can guess that her profile pic was not of a white person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Recently on my city’s Nextdoor, there was a giant thread about “a shooting” that was really just bitching about Section 8 and how the “police don’t care.”

I just want to post “You think the police and a landlord are going to ignore an opportunity to gently caress over some poor people that lets them hide behind an actual crime? Obviously nothing remotely serious actually happened.”