Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Killingyouguy! posted:

People like Winterhearts Guild more than Ecliptica? :confused:

I've started just listening to the first 4 albums as 1 long album, but if I had to pick an absolute favorite of the 4 it's probably Ecliptica or Silence.

Lots of very good pm being listed though, Gamma Ray's Blast From the Past is easily my favorite non-BG pm album right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blood Incantation show sold out before i got a chance to save and get a ticket :( used the $$$ to get a p cool Blood Incantation tshirt. Aliens are cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

remigious posted:

Sometimes I feel like power metal should have its own thread, it gets tiresome when y’all poo poo on it. I’m sorry I just don’t like black metal :(

Power metal can be pretty fun and can kick a lot of rear end. Problem is that so much of it is incredibly dorky and cringy. Iron Maiden's To Tame A Land rules, but I'll skip the poo poo out of Quest for Fire. But everyone loves different stuff, so don't feel bad for liking what you like. Unless it's Ghost.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

so much of it is incredibly dorky and cringy

that's what rules about it tho

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ghost rules too

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sonata Arctica also rival In Flames for greatest fall from grace. I’ll gently caress around with up to and including Days of grays but everything after that is just completely unforgivable

(Winterhearts is the most power metally power metal though)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

All metal is dorky

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
The sum total of all black metal can’t compete with a single Battle Beast song (“Black Ninja”), so they’re very angry about power metal in general and can only internalize it, because c’mon…SHE’S A BLACK NINJA!!!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dimebags Brain posted:

The best power metal album is Gamma Ray's Land of the Free. Sonata Arctica have never written a song half as good as Rebellion in Dremland or Land of the Free or Afterlife.

You misspelled "Somewhere out in Space", "Beyond the Black Hole", "Men, Martians and Machines" and "Valley of the Kings".

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 27, 2021

Hog Fell on Me
Apr 11, 2006

The art of war is simple enough.
Ok, respect where it's due and all, the man is basically the father of European power metal and he can do whatever he wants for all I care, but in every photo of Kai Hansen from about 2013-now all I can see is the ridiculous wig on his head and I wish he'd just bite the bullet and go full Halford at this point. (old pic but new ones are just as bad)

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
This thread is usually pretty cool if you talk about USPM instead of Euro. Manilla Road, Omen, Liege Lord, Riot etc.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

forgetting jag panzer

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://youtu.be/YHOtH9f6mzw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hot date tonight! posted:

This thread is usually pretty cool if you talk about USPM instead of Euro. Manilla Road, Omen, Liege Lord, Riot etc.

Forgetting Virgin Steele smh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGp1h3b-VKw

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hog Fell on Me posted:

Ok, respect where it's due and all, the man is basically the father of European power metal and he can do whatever he wants for all I care, but in every photo of Kai Hansen from about 2013-now all I can see is the ridiculous wig on his head and I wish he'd just bite the bullet and go full Halford at this point. (old pic but new ones are just as bad)

Omg how dare I forget Helloween!

https://youtu.be/dtPs1QrMI1I

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Quest for Fire

every time I see this I think about that movie with rae dawn chong.

Freedom Trails posted:

The sum total of all black metal can’t compete with a single Battle Beast song (“Black Ninja”), so they’re very angry about power metal in general and can only internalize it, because c’mon…SHE’S A BLACK NINJA!!!

and now im thinking of a black metal version of that jennifer murphy tune

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hot date tonight! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpyMlCPPTq4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Newer bands like Eternal Champion, Visigoth and Smoulder hold the USPM banner high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_PHiguMZek

As a snooty euro, I have to say that I enjoy USPM/epic heavy metal more than I enjoy most europower.

E: Blind Guardian is the best power metal ever, though. Specifically the TftTW to NiME period.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 27, 2021

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

USPM always strikes me as power metal but with people actually trying to take it seriously and that is the dumbest loving idea for the second dorkiest metal subgenre.

Black metal is the dorkiest metal subgenre because power metal bands at least look like they're having fun with it. Abbath aside.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I accidentally (physically) bumped into Sonata Arctica at a Portland safeway the morning of their show with Nightwish like 10 or 12 years ago. I got super drunk the rest of the day and had a baller time late into the night hollering like a big power metal doofus at their concert. Welp, that's my story.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

and now im thinking of a black metal version of that jennifer murphy tune

Probably. That whole album was basically inspired by a bunch of movies Steve Harris liked

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I did a half-joke post about Dragonforce bc the cheesy video was great but don't get me wrong, power metal rules

particularly Sellsword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLnXNVPe2LY

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is the greatest Power Metal song in the history of forever.

Fight me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_8VVbvHv8

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Power metal can be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0n6wa8sPuQ

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dr. Capco posted:

I accidentally (physically) bumped into Sonata Arctica at a Portland safeway the morning of their show with Nightwish like 10 or 12 years ago. I got super drunk the rest of the day and had a baller time late into the night hollering like a big power metal doofus at their concert. Welp, that's my story.

Tony Kakko actually took this as you rejecting him and wrote a song about you breaking up with him

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I highly recommend Dragonforce shows for a Good Time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

And Ron Perlman. Owns. So does the song.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol forgot that ron pearlman was in it.

homeboy already looked like a caveman

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's not a caveman, he's a maine coon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Reminds me of when I finally got to see Slough Feg live, and understood why Mike Scalzi writes so many songs about apes and cavemen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xzzy posted:

He's not a caveman, he's a maine coon.

Very true

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Groke posted:

Reminds me of when I finally got to see Slough Feg live, and understood why Mike Scalzi writes so many songs about apes and cavemen.

My favorite thing about Mike is not that he's a professor, it's that he's apparently a professor that all his students hate. Don't be fooled by the overall average, reading through the reviews is a great time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Freedom Trails posted:

I'll always remember the time I saw them live, and the singer did the "point the mic at the audience to have them sing a line while the band pauses" thing, but at such a random moment that nobody made a peep. Then he turned to the band and went like "Should we finish the song or just move on to the next one?" and the guitarist replied "Doesn't matter, they all sound the same anyway." It was extremely loving funny at the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Freedom Trails posted:

Trampettes and hair blowing fans, it was like going to a circus and it was an utter blast (this was back in like 2005 or something, I'm curious as to what goes on now!)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Yeah my older brother took my teen self out to see Dragonforce/Killswitch Engage/Sevendust and one of the DF guitarists runs out of beer (mounted on a micstand with a straw poking out) mid-solo, turns around, yells at a stage tech for more, and has it replaced before finishing the noodling. It was great

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Yeah my older brother took my teen self out to see Dragonforce/Killswitch Engage/Sevendust and one of the DF guitarists runs out of beer (mounted on a micstand with a straw poking out) mid-solo, turns around, yells at a stage tech for more, and has it replaced before finishing the noodling. It was great

That's...an interesting bill.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lifeglug posted:

USPM always strikes me as power metal but with people actually trying to take it seriously and that is the dumbest loving idea for the second dorkiest metal subgenre.

Black metal is the dorkiest metal subgenre because power metal bands at least look like they're having fun with it. Abbath aside.

it's not actually a bad thing to take the art you make seriously

Hog Fell on Me
Apr 11, 2006

The art of war is simple enough.

Nazzadan posted:

My favorite thing about Mike is not that he's a professor, it's that he's apparently a professor that all his students hate. Don't be fooled by the overall average, reading through the reviews is a great time.

If his lyrics are any indication, apparently the feeling is mutual.

Mike Scalzi, yelling at clouds, posted:

Amidst the burned-out minds
Automatons and their mimes
Their ignorance is clear
The learning-curve's severe
The chasm's opened wide
The blind leading the blind
This generation's doomed
Sucked back into the womb

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A human heart posted:

it's not actually a bad thing to take the art you make seriously

I mean take it seriously as in being all PO faced about it and not realising that it’s all just silly theatrics. Unless you’re gonna say that people should think that PM about dragons and poo poo is meant to be very serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

They're finally loving repressing Traveller