Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Hideo Kojima shared the Japanese Murderbot covers. Character designs remind me of an old show about angels in a sort of orphanage that had a bit of a mystery plot but was mostly slice of life.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1449376502580011008

Lol. I like them but it's kind of totally missing the point of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Haibane Renmei?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Tactical Murderbot Action but instead of half-hour cutscenes and codec calls you can pause at any moment to watch entire episodes of Sanctuary Moon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ccs posted:

Hideo Kojima shared the Japanese Murderbot covers. Character designs remind me of an old show about angels in a sort of orphanage that had a bit of a mystery plot but was mostly slice of life.

wait is kojima going to make a murderbot video game

because . . .ok

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Tactical Murderbot Action but instead of half-hour cutscenes and codec calls you can pause at any moment to watch entire episodes of Sanctuary Moon.

I'm here for it

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Lunsku posted:

Started parsing through these on the train back home, and figured that no, Spinrad's Iron Dream is not going to be the book I'm going to start in a packed train. The cover art will raise questions that most probably will not be adequately answered by the cover itself.

“Hmm, don’t know that one. Let me look up that cover right qui-“:staredog:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:hmmyes:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lunsku posted:

Given that I have metres of unread book waiting, and that I've accepted that at this point I am collecting paper more than collecting books, I really should not be allowed free at those few times when I'm traveling in somewhere with half decent bookstores and sf&f-antiquaries. But anyway, I just get joy from looking at the fresh, if small haul. It's plenty for my reading speed nowadays:

Started parsing through these on the train back home, and figured that no, Spinrad's Iron Dream is not going to be the book I'm going to start in a packed train. The cover art will raise questions that most probably will not be adequately answered by the cover itself.

Is it the Hitler on the motorcycle front on or 3/4 profile? Or th big nazi fist?

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
Just found out Neal Stephenson has a global warming thriller coming out in a couple weeks, and uhh

quote:

One man – visionary billionaire restaurant chain magnate T. R. Schmidt, Ph.D. – has a Big Idea for reversing global warming, a master plan perhaps best described as “elemental.” But will it work? And just as important, what are the consequences for the planet and all of humanity should it be applied?

Ranging from the Texas heartland to the Dutch royal palace in the Hague, from the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas to the sunbaked Chihuahuan Desert, Termination Shock brings together a disparate group of characters from different cultures and continents who grapple with the real-life repercussions of global warming. Ultimately, it asks the question: Might the cure be worse than the disease?

Epic in scope while heartbreakingly human in perspective, Termination Shock sounds a clarion alarm, ponders potential solutions and dire risks, and wraps it all together in an exhilarating, witty, mind-expanding speculative adventure.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Please let this be modeled after Papa John and the solution is less black people because they absorb more sunlight

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zoracle Zed posted:

Just found out Neal Stephenson has a global warming thriller coming out in a couple weeks, and uhh

Global warming: actually good? In this new novel I will

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I hope it’s not as terrible as that promo copy makes it sound.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zoracle Zed posted:

I, billionaire Mr. Edward Chili, will solve global warming by producing so many of our world famous sizzling Chili's Fajitas® that the steam will form a protective cloud barrier against solar radiation!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zoracle Zed posted:

Zodiac the "Eco Thriller" was his last good book, so I'm slightly hopeful, even if it was 30+ years since then.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Hel posted:

Zodiac the "Eco Thriller" was his last good book, so I'm slightly hopeful, even if it was 30+ years since then.

:jerkbag:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Quorum posted:

I, billionaire Mr. Edward Chili, will solve global warming by producing so many of our world famous sizzling Chili's Fajitas® that the steam will form a protective cloud barrier against solar radiation!

shut up, the review embargo hasn't been lifted yet, they're gonna send jeffrey a takedown notice

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

please

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

branedotorg posted:

Is it the Hitler on the motorcycle front on or 3/4 profile? Or th big nazi fist?

Worse, it's the kind of bland cover art that strips all the absurdity out of the few English covers going around, so what you end up is 1/2 swastika, 1/2 Adolf, and extremely suspect at glance.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Please let this be modeled after Papa John and the solution is less black people because they absorb more sunlight

Did you know Levar Burton wrote a scifi novel in the 90s called Aftermath in which one of the plot points is the hole in the ozone layer got way worse and rich white people farm black people for skin grafts so they don't get cancer?

*Take a look, it's in a book!*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

Did you know Levar Burton wrote a scifi novel in the 90s called Aftermath in which one of the plot points is the hole in the ozone layer got way worse and rich white people farm black people for skin grafts so they don't get cancer?

Lol that sounds awesome actually. Levar Burton ftw.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

D-Pad posted:

Holy poo poo now I need to find this

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol that sounds awesome actually. Levar Burton ftw.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stuporstar posted:

Shikasta is a trip :allears:

Yeah, I've got the omnibus of that whole series and I've never read anything by anyone that cared about the human condition more. Or cats, Lessing also gives a drat about cats. I'd say Le Guin is a better prose stylist, but Lessing will go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper on a topic. Read and enjoy both, Lessing has a lot of really good stories in her.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Parable of the Talents (Parable #2) by Octavia E Butler - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HALPHC/

The Tower of Fools (Hussite #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ22J48/

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, I've got the omnibus of that whole series and I've never read anything by anyone that cared about the human condition more. Or cats, Lessing also gives a drat about cats. I'd say Le Guin is a better prose stylist, but Lessing will go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay deeper on a topic. Read and enjoy both, Lessing has a lot of really good stories in her.

I prefer Le Guin too, both prose and content but Lessing won the Nobel for literature, not something most of this threads favourite authors (or posters) can claim.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

mllaneza posted:

I was introduced to Doris Lessing because Ursula K. Leguin wrote about her foray into science fiction. I love how her switching from lit fic to scifi was inspired by her conversion to Sufism. I still have to read the rest, with The Marriage Between Zone Three, Four and Five still on my tbr pile. Doris Lessing is rad

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't gotten around to reading The Sentimental Agents or The Making of the Representative for Planet 8 yet but I'm definitely going to.

I do think the series flows a bit better if you go straight from Shikasta to The Sirian Experiments, since The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five is so different from the other two.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

The Tower of Fools (Hussite #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ22J48/

Is this any good? Lotta not so thrilled reviews.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

eke out posted:

those people are also the remnants of a conquering army that say something about how they're totally willing to earn their wives the hard way or something similarly completely antithetical to their values

a little later in the series we've got them figuring out how to begin accommodating actual refugees and it seems like acculturation is going to be a years-long process but they've ultimately decided there's no other moral option

I got the impression that (about the world building): leaving one of the controlled countries was basically a death sentence because all land that isn’t claimed by the Commonweal or some rear end in a top hat God-King is infested with like sentient malice and body snatching fungus and aggressively hegemonising swarms of wasps and stuff

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Stuporstar posted:

I was introduced to Doris Lessing because Ursula K. Leguin wrote about her foray into science fiction. I love how her switching from lit fic to scifi was inspired by her conversion to Sufism. I still have to read the rest, with The Marriage Between Zone Three, Four and Five still on my tbr pile. Doris Lessing is rad

We read some Lessing stuff at school. I remember vaguely that she liked Frangipani trees, and a kind of lyrical description of a farm in what was presumably Zimbabwe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beefeater1980 posted:

I got the impression that (about the world building): leaving one of the controlled countries was basically a death sentence because all land that isn’t claimed by the Commonweal or some rear end in a top hat God-King is infested with like sentient malice and body snatching fungus and aggressively hegemonising swarms of wasps and stuff

Don't worry, the claimed land is like that too!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Don't worry, the claimed land is like that too!

Edit: Cleaning up mention of stuff only in the Google Group.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 30, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Should we split off commonweal chat into its own thread? Genuine question

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It'll be a lot more hassle running all these accounts over multiple threads.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

im fine with it here even though i have no interest in commonweal, i like the action and fast pace of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3R3VRPOpao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean there's only 5 books and probably 10 people who've read the drat things in the whole thread. Idk why it would need one.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

I think the chat about it is likely to die down in a week or two.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It'll be a lot more hassle running all these accounts over multiple threads.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone in here read any book where the author swaps between first and third person pov in different scenes? Juliet E McKenna has been using it to masterful effect in her works.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here read any book where the author swaps between first and third person pov in different scenes? Juliet E McKenna has been using it to masterful effect in her works.

Don't remember if there is 1st/3rd specifically, but Ancillary Justice has some really fun perspective swap... kinda... stuff?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Bleak House, by Charles Dickens.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Bleak House, by Charles Dickens.

this book owns completely but it will make you cry like a small child. i finished it on an airplane and the people sitting next to me were definitely concerned about me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Well, there is a Malazan thread, a Sanderson thread and a Pratchett one as well, so why not.

Bonus feature: we will find out whether the posting here is promoting the book series or whether there is a genuine interest in a self published fantasy series in sore need of an editor.