Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would say that i hope the show handles that kind of stuff well but also i remember that a gay dude is the showrunner so that maybe gives me some confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lmao

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i mean, a well-off gay white man is like the least oppressed minority possible, but it seems like he didn't grow up rich or anything. maybe you could look to his previous credits to get an idea? i'm not watching some comic book poo poo just to find out personally

also i learned rafe grew up mormon. what is up with this series and mormons

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i found it really touching to hear rafe talk about growing up a gay kid in a mormon family and him and his mom reading it and connecting because they both identified with a world without the existing patriarchy

plenty of dumb gender stuff in the books that can be done better, but i feel like we lucked into someone who loved the series for the good poo poo about it and seems to be aware of the bad stuff

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hooplah posted:

i mean, a well-off gay white man is like the least oppressed minority possible, but it seems like he didn't grow up rich or anything. maybe you could look to his previous credits to get an idea? i'm not watching some comic book poo poo just to find out personally

religious people are into fantasy :smuggo:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*gay dude adapts story to promote more female voices and racial diversity*

"Man I bet he screws up the lesbians"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

eke out posted:

we lucked into someone who loved the series

This the real takeaway from any show direction or decisions discussion.

We could have ended up with some dumbass Michael Bay, hollywood type but this dude cared enough to go and pitch Sony Pictures because he didn't want somebody else to gently caress it up.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hooplah posted:

he was really great on survivor: guatemala!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hexel posted:

This the real takeaway from any show direction or decisions discussion.

We could have ended up with some dumbass Michael Bay, hollywood type but this dude cared enough to go and pitch Sony Pictures because he didn't want somebody else to gently caress it up.

after reading what he said in that gq article and listening to him talk through the trailer, i'm only getting more excited. a million words have been written about it, but i think GoT really suffered in the later seasons due to the showrunners not really "getting" the source material once they had to go off on their own narrative-wise. rafe seems to get it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I want to see the Benioff & Weiss cut of WoT.

Release the D&D cut, Bezos you coward.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hooplah posted:

after reading what he said in that gq article and listening to him talk through the trailer, i'm only getting more excited. a million words have been written about it, but i think GoT really suffered in the later seasons due to the showrunners not really "getting" the source material once they had to go off on their own narrative-wise. rafe seems to get it.

How cool as gently caress for a mother to read the series with her kid too.

My own mom has always poo poo on my fantasy obsession.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

How cool as gently caress for a mother to read the series with her kid too.

My own mom has always poo poo on my fantasy obsession.

I feel for you.

My mom gave me her beat to hell '70s era copies of Lord of the Rings when I was ten, and her mom gave me an omnibus copy of The Foundation Trilogy the same year.

Unfortunately my dad was the religious type who got swept up in the Demonic Panic of the '80s and tossed all my D&D books as "devil-worship" the next year, but I guess you can't have everything.

Rarity posted:

*gay dude adapts story to promote more female voices and racial diversity*

"Man I bet he screws up the lesbians"

Given that Moraine's romance with Thom has always felt kinda tacked on, and Siuan + Gareth Bryne doesn't feel all that great either, I'd be totally down with making Moraine + Siuan be the True Love From Afar relationship of the series, especially when Moraine "dies" and Siuan hears about it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Given that Moraine's romance with Thom has always felt kinda tacked on, and Siuan + Gareth Bryne doesn't feel all that great either, I'd be totally down with making Moraine + Siuan be the True Love From Afar relationship of the series, especially when Moraine "dies" and Siuan hears about it

yeah while I don't mind Moraine/Thom so much but there's going to be some cleanup to do on whatever happens with Siuan/Bryne (if they ever get there), it is way too caught up in RJ's power-exchange fetish to feel good

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

My mom got me into WoT, but I'm not sure if she ever finished it like I did after that long.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Y'know, I'd never heard taint used to refer to the perineum before I joined this forum. Frankly, I still haven't heard it used that way anywhere outside of this forum.

At first I figured it was some American nonsense, but if Jordan was unaware of the connotations I guess it must be regional or new?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I feel like it cropped up in American english in the 90's sometime, yeah. I could be wrong about that.

Sab669 posted:

I'm 31 and I definitely used that word many a time in high school. Maybe even middle school, but I can't really remember. And my cousin a few years older also jokes about cleansing the Dark One's taint as well. Maybe it's just not that old of a term for him to have heard about it.
I'm a couple years older and don't remember hearing it ever in middle or high school. Just not used by my crowd of friends in school. Probably, my first exposure to the taint was on the internet, as is appropriate—I'm still not sure if I've ever heard it used much in person. It took me a while to figure out what people were actually referring to, and it still feels weird when people act like it's a well-known term with an immediately obvious connotation.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm 99% sure I learned the word "taint" from an episode of Conan O'Brien 20-25 years ago. I understand why the show will avoid it but am still disappointed.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I can't laugh at the Dark One's taint and hearing how hard a man is what's left in this series, really.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It’s insane, this Dark Lord’s taint.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

t'aint a taint no more

embrace the corruption

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s dark and poisonous just like a real taint. Put it back in you cowards.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's clean, he said wonderingly.

It's clean.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Hooplah posted:

Trollocs are reincarnated Mormons.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The shot of the tinkers camp in those leaks wasn’t eye-searingly colorful, 0/10 show is ruined.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

The shot of the tinkers camp in those leaks wasn’t eye-searingly colorful, 0/10 show is ruined.

we need eye searing colors and the dark one's taint, judkins you coward!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Collateral posted:

Trollocs are reincarnated Mormons.

The entire show universe exists within Mormon canon. The Creator is an ascended Mormon named Hyrum Carter who lived in Utah in the 1800s. Randland is his planet. This is his story.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
My only complaint is that "the corruption" is much more generic than "the taint". Surely they could've come up with something better.

The rot?
The flaw?
The deprivation?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

William Bear posted:

My only complaint is that "the corruption" is much more generic than "the taint". Surely they could've come up with something better.

The rot?
The flaw?
The deprivation?

no on all 3. corruption is fine. esp with the picture of the blight that leaked, much corruption

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Twitter leak got taken down for copyright lol

With Loial you could get a really long way with a really tall actor, possibly with drywall stilts and something to beef up the torso. I remember reading they were really pleased with how the trollocs were done, where all the horns and bits and bobs were attached with magnets and could be swapped around for tons of variety, and looked good enough they saved a ton of CGI budget.

Practical effects best effects

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thats awesome, and a great use of magnets.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

How are u posted:

The entire show universe exists within Mormon canon. The Creator is an ascended Mormon named Hyrum Carter who lived in Utah in the 1800s. Randland is his planet. This is his story.

So it's canon that Mormons are reincarnated as trollocs?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Collateral posted:

So it's canon that Mormons are reincarnated as trollocs?

Only the naughty ones

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I hope we get a worm in the blight as a surprise

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I want the tinkers to just be wearing hazard vests scavenged from old age of legends construction sites.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Barreft posted:

I hope we get a worm in the blight as a surprise

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

eke out posted:

yeah while I don't mind Moraine/Thom so much but there's going to be some cleanup to do on whatever happens with Siuan/Bryne (if they ever get there), it is way too caught up in RJ's power-exchange fetish to feel good

There is a lot of lesbian spanking in there. Its just everywhere. I can't imagine they don't remove that. Siuan/Byren I remember less well but the jist of it was to me, she feels she owes him a debt so she cleans his clothes. They kind of fall in love but she's resentful of that because he isn't the one using honorifics to her but she still feels like she needs to pay off that debt even though circumstances have changed. I think that could live in the show if it goes 6 series+. It would be more coherent than the amount of spanking that goes on. Not that I object to shows being horny but women getting spanked is really the driving fetish to the point it gets weird.

I'm kind of curious who they get to be berelaine because that's going to be the most pervert casting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite moment of the whole series remains the bit where Sanderson tries his damnedest to write the spanking scene to end all spanking scenes, and then runs as far and as fast as possible from it while washing his hands in bleach at full stride.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fain's actor looks so drat cool

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i read my parents' copies of LOTR, WOT, GOT, etc. first

my MOM lent me Lord Foul's Bane but I decided that series sucked and gave up, though the premise was pretty fascinating at first

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

My favorite moment of the whole series remains the bit where Sanderson tries his damnedest to write the spanking scene to end all spanking scenes, and then runs as far and as fast as possible from it while washing his hands in bleach at full stride.

Can you refresh my memory? I'm just not a fan of that guy or how he writes. He has a load of lectures on youtube on how to write fantasy and my reaction was, you hack, you loving schlub, you odious non person how dare you take on the wheel of time. You soulless worm.

And the wheel of time is genre fiction and I've known all along it was. I just couldn't get over this Harry Potter, Marvel Universe fan getting to end it. He liked black widow, a movie people only watched to have something to talk about to colleagues they hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's, uh, sure a set of words to say about an author.