Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Future ROH started looking like the NWA shows.

John Pollock from Post wrestling said that same thing on Review a Dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Sinclair just sees RoH as cheap content and with all the cost cutting going on they figured they could tape an hour of wrestling a week on a shoestring budget. Who cares if it’s good? They’re more concerned about the massive amounts of cash the company is burning through right now.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Flip Gordon has powerful wish.com Sammy Guevara energy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Welp

https://twitter.com/Fightful/status/1453826943678181381?s=20

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Please let someone who actually likes wrestling buy it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tony you best be on the goddamn phone!!

Buy that thing, bundle it with AEW's library charge WarnerMedia to put it on Max. Do it!!!

edit: And if that's true Sinclair has zero interest in a "best of" style show either. ROH isn't coming back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WWE buy it, do nothing with it like the DGUSA & the vast majority of the Evolve library, someone on Twitter claims this is good.

(For real, early ROH is going to be a loving nightmare. Because there is a lot of homophobia & misogyny. Do you get away with putting a warning at the start of each show? Do you bleep out some of the language? Do you cut out entire segments, which probably is going to piss off the nerdy completionists who would actually watch this poo poo? I don't envy whoever makes that decision, ideally I'd say you do the warning/explainer that this is a reflection of its time & the language & attitudes loving suck but I have no idea if that is enough for people)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 28, 2021

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SalTheBard posted:

Is there no one at ROH talking to Sinclair being like "We should loving get involved with this because it will only be good?"

It's just the lowest of the lowest priority. It's ran like it's own side business. Sinclair is much more focused on their rightwing propoganda shows and were interesting in buying up all those sports networks. And while that seems to be faltering it's still a whole different ballgame to buy rights for sports and to run a sports promotion. They can fill the time with their other in house crap.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Tony can get it in a discount when he buys the wwe library in two years

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

The article says it's only the Sinclair era, so 2012 to today.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its only the tape library from after the Sinclair purchase, so everything from 2012 on

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

its only the tape library from after the Sinclair purchase, so everything from 2012 on

Still worth it for about 5 years or so.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Huntman posted:

The article says it's only the Sinclair era, so 2012 to today.

They own all of it, tho, don't they?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't see why WWE would want it beyond making sure nobody else could have it. Early Kevin Steen DVD's?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't see why WWE would want it beyond making sure nobody else could have it. Early Kevin Steen DVD's?

'making sure nobody else could have it' is most of their acquisitions over the last decade or so, both with people and tape libraries

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

(For real, early ROH is going to be a loving nightmare. Because there is a lot of homophobia & misogyny. Do you get away with putting a warning at the start of each show? Do you bleep out some of the language? Do you cut out entire segments, which probably is going to piss off the nerdy completionists who would actually watch this poo poo? I don't envy whoever makes that decision, ideally I'd say you do the warning/explainer that this is a reflection of its time & the language & attitudes loving suck but I have no idea if that is enough for people)

It's best that we forget the Christopher Street Connection entirely.

EDIT: I feel that I should clarify this a bit. We should forget them because getting a heel reaction off of guys kissing in the ring is terrible.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

They own all of it, tho, don't they?

I'm not entirely sure. I wonder if Cary Silkin owns pre-2012?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I hope everybody got one final handshake.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

If ROH does fully shut down I want to see promotions do a Division of Honor with the handshake and pure rules. Give ROH a piece of the wrestling lexicon.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Huntman posted:

I'm not entirely sure. I wonder if Cary Silkin owns pre-2012?

I always assumed Sinclair owned it, but if they don't I wonder what exactly they bought. Some wrestler contracts, the logo, and... a couple rings? I just really hope AEW buys it. I don't want more of the north american wrestling history to be locked up in a vault somewhere.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

flatluigi posted:

'making sure nobody else could have it' is most of their acquisitions over the last decade or so, both with people and tape libraries
Imagine Nick Khan would say no to that

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There's so much gold in the pre-2012 years too, and not just in the main event scene. I'd love for someone to put together compilations for things like the Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer feud, Colt Cabana/Homicide, Punk/Raven, Sweet 'n Sour Incorporated, the Adam Pearce/Brent Albright program for the NWA title in 2008, Takeshi Morishima mowing through the roster during the same year...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
basically CM Punk's start to about when Mike Mondo threatened sex crimes. That covers a lot of ground.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Alvarez is saying the library's not for sale, so who the gently caress knows.

Maybe it's the usual 'we'll listen to anyone's offer' bullshit that WWE pulls.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Akileese posted:

it sounds like some were going to bat for them but Sinclair is disinterested. This is wild. I imagine if Sinclair was trying to peel off assets then we would have heard by now so are they just...circling the drain and not even trying to salvage anything?

They are trying to find buyers for the RSNs but there is a reason Disney and Fox agreed to decouple them from the sale. Outside of local sports, they have a major content problem; Fox was already consolidating that stuff and Disney was rumored to just be interested in canibalizing their rights for ESPN (and as it turns out could also just wait those out and buy them later separately). These things are anchors.

The local sports rights are super expensive and then they just didn’t have local sports immediately after the purchase because of the pandemic, and my guess by judging the type of ads on the network now they probably aren’t getting the most revenue coming their way still.

So they can’t sell off the thing they need to sell off to go back to what was a very successful previous to this for them before although that is what they are trying to do.

E: If I write a post on my phone, then get busy for like five hours, I just need to delete it and not hit send. My brain doesn't catch the grammar problems until it's too late.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 29, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

Alvarez is saying the library's not for sale, so who the gently caress knows.

Maybe it's the usual 'we'll listen to anyone's offer' bullshit that WWE pulls.

Either way I don't see why they would sell it right now if the plan is for a relaunch in the spring. If it ends up happening, they'll want their library intact. If it collapses (either before or after that), then they'll want to sell. But now would seem like jumping the gun.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Rick posted:

They are trying to find buyers for the RSNs but there is a reason Disney and Fox agreed to decouple them from the sale. Outside of local sports, without the content Fox had and Fox was already consolidating that stuff and Disney was rumored to just be canibalizing their rights for ESPN but could also just wait those out. These things are anchors.

The local sports rights are super expensive and then they just didn’t have local sports immediately after the purchase and my guess by judging the type of ads on the network now they probably aren’t getting the most revenue coming there way still.

So they can’t sell off the thing they need to sell off to go back to what was a very successful business for them before although that is what they are trying to do.

I'm not really sure what they were trying to do but they were so happy buying all that poo poo and then... nothing. Really the same with ROH. No real support or big plan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think Sinclair offered their talent handshakes on the way out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

algebra testes posted:

Maybe a zoom call

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not really sure what they were trying to do but they were so happy buying all that poo poo and then... nothing. Really the same with ROH. No real support or big plan.

Yeah I have no clue. Eventually after owning a bunch of local TV stations for many years, they started doing weird and bad poo poo with the local news, so maybe that was the long game?

Renaissance Spam posted:

If ROH does fully shut down I want to see promotions do a Division of Honor with the handshake and pure rules. Give ROH a piece of the wrestling lexicon.

To me it's one of the better wrestling gimmicks there is. I wouldn't want to only watch honor rules matches but it hits the spot right when used just often enough. Plus I love all the fish out of water scenarios they can do with it, they did the same story a billion times but it worked just about every time.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

algebra testes posted:

No, but the talent enjoyed the hot dog cart Sinclair brought in. Delicious, if a little expensive.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rick posted:

They are trying to find buyers for the RSNs but there is a reason Disney and Fox agreed to decouple them from the sale. Outside of local sports, they have a major content problem; Fox was already consolidating that stuff and Disney was rumored to just be interested in canibalizing their rights for ESPN (and as it turns out could also just wait those out and buy them later separately). These things are anchors.

The local sports rights are super expensive and then they just didn’t have local sports immediately after the purchase because of the pandemic, and my guess by judging the type of ads on the network now they probably aren’t getting the most revenue coming their way still.

So they can’t sell off the thing they need to sell off to go back to what was a very successful previous to this for them before although that is what they are trying to do.

E: If I write a post on my phone, then get busy for like five hours, I just need to delete it and not hit send. My brain doesn't catch the grammar problems until it's too late.

I had somehow forgotten they bought all those RSNs from Disney. I remember at the time thinking "boy howdy this seems like a very bad idea" and it turns out it was. RSNs were starting to become an albatross about a decade ago so the fact that they bought a shitload of them in 2019. What's wild is I remember hearing they bid for the NBC ones this past summer. I guess their strategy was "if we own all the RSNs we can try to charge the cable companies a much higher carriage fee", but considering how many they already own and how much money they lose, seems like a poorly thought out plan of attack.

With that in mind, how much money could ROH actually be losing? It has to be a drop in the bucket compared to the RSNs right?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ring of Honor should go to Carowinds or Kings Dominion and be run out of one of the stages there they use for concerts and stuntaculars.

Theme Park Wrestling Stuntacular is the future of ROH

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sinclair reached a deal to air Women of Wrestling (with Tessa Blanchard) starting next fall, so they're not done with wrestling

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Rick posted:

Yeah I have no clue. Eventually after owning a bunch of local TV stations for many years, they started doing weird and bad poo poo with the local news, so maybe that was the long game?

That's the thing. Sinclair can be very competent when it wants to be. They got all their local/national news shows in lockstep at breakneck speed. The entire news product was branded and homogenized with a very clear editorial slant regardless of the station and the market. They were pushing that poo poo very seriously and very quickly. ROH, sports, and some of their other secondary stations just kinda languish. Probably not costing them a ton, but not making anything either. ROH should have pitched itself to be the rightwing/Fox News version of pro wrestling and headquarters would have showered them with money.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sinclair reached a deal to air Women of Wrestling (with Tessa Blanchard) starting next fall, so they're not done with wrestling

I believe that's a deal through Viacom.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I haven’t watched ROH in a million years, why is this MSG show so infamous

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

here is a quick video covering exactly why njpw stopped working with roh after this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZsngzKLFA

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They co-promoted it with NJPW, who put in quite a bit of effort to put on the best show they could.

RoH put on a series of shitarse matches where you'd swear everyone was in a fiercely competitive game of one-downmanship. I think this was also the show that noted rapist shithead Enzo Amore made his first RoH appearance on as well, so there's that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the Enzo thing was the dealbreaker from what I remember. They did it in the middle of NJPW shooting an angle and completely screwed up everything. It was a Bully Ray call. He opted to keep everyone in the dark. This is including the Briscoes who were legit going to beat Enzo to death had they not slipped on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Akileese posted:

I had somehow forgotten they bought all those RSNs from Disney. I remember at the time thinking "boy howdy this seems like a very bad idea" and it turns out it was. RSNs were starting to become an albatross about a decade ago so the fact that they bought a shitload of them in 2019. What's wild is I remember hearing they bid for the NBC ones this past summer. I guess their strategy was "if we own all the RSNs we can try to charge the cable companies a much higher carriage fee", but considering how many they already own and how much money they lose, seems like a poorly thought out plan of attack.

With that in mind, how much money could ROH actually be losing? It has to be a drop in the bucket compared to the RSNs right?

I think you are right that it was a carriage fee play because they yanked all their stuff from most of the streamers a few months ago.

They seemed fine with ROH not making a ton or losing money before all this, they were running it on a small budget anyway so to me it just has to be the RSNs.