Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

silvergoose posted:

That's, uh, sure a set of words to say about an author.

I don't feel that deeply, I was hoping people would be amused by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Goofballs posted:

Can you refresh my memory? I'm just not a fan of that guy or how he writes. He has a load of lectures on youtube on how to write fantasy and my reaction was, you hack, you loving schlub, you odious non person how dare you take on the wheel of time. You soulless worm.

The Gathering Storm posted:

Sarene nodded, rushing from the room. Cadsuane sat in the chair, then wove threads of Air and picked Semirhage up. Elza and Erian glanced into the room, looking very curious. Then they entered, Sarene following. A few moments later, Daigian entered with five servants: three Domani women in aprons, one spindly man, his fingers brown with stain from recoating logs, and a single serving boy. Excellent.

As they entered, Cadsuane used her threads of Air to turn Semirhage around across her knee. And then she proceeded to spank the Forsaken.

Semirhage held out at first. Then she began to curse. Then she began to sputter out threats. Cadsuane continued, her hand beginning to hurt. Semirhage’s threats turned to howls of outrage and pain. The serving girl with the food returned in the middle of it, adding even more to Semirhage’s shame. The Aes Sedai watched with slack jaws.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Goofballs posted:

Can you refresh my memory? I'm just not a fan of that guy or how he writes. He has a load of lectures on youtube on how to write fantasy and my reaction was, you hack, you loving schlub, you odious non person how dare you take on the wheel of time. You soulless worm.

And the wheel of time is genre fiction and I've known all along it was. I just couldn't get over this Harry Potter, Marvel Universe fan getting to end it. He liked black widow, a movie people only watched to have something to talk about to colleagues they hate.

You sound miserable

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well that's about what I expected. They need to drop that poo poo from the show. Its very weird

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Goofballs posted:

Well that's about what I expected. They need to drop that poo poo from the show. Its very weird

not weird in their timeline

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Goofballs posted:

i would be shocked if the spanking stuff survives

it is entirely okay to say you don't like someone or something in a funny, perhaps hyperbolic way on a comedy forum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brolander posted:

it is entirely okay to say you don't like someone or something in a funny, perhaps hyperbolic way on a comedy forum

Yeah but it helps to be funny

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

if they remove the spanking i riot

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How are u posted:

I want to see the Benioff & Weiss cut of WoT.

Release the D&D cut, Bezos you coward.

as someone who will defend the last two seasons of GOT, please God no.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I just finished WoT this week, by audiobook after only finishing one or two books as a kid. I really enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the show.

Brolander posted:

i read my parents' copies of LOTR, WOT, GOT, etc. first

my MOM lent me Lord Foul's Bane but I decided that series sucked and gave up, though the premise was pretty fascinating at first

My uncle lent me the chronicles of Thomas covenant, and it was one of my favorite series growing up, even reread it multiple times. I remember reading the final four books as they came out and becoming increasingly disappointed though. Might have to revisit the series sometime soon.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Vavrek posted:

I'm a couple years older and don't remember hearing it ever in middle or high school. Just not used by my crowd of friends in school. Probably, my first exposure to the taint was on the internet, as is appropriate—I'm still not sure if I've ever heard it used much in person. It took me a while to figure out what people were actually referring to, and it still feels weird when people act like it's a well-known term with an immediately obvious connotation.
You're in the same boat as Rafe. It''s a regional dialect. He's from Utah and he'd never heard anyone use the phrase "taint".

Turns out its more of an Albany expression.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Goofballs posted:

i'm kind of curious who they get to be berelaine because that's going to be the most pervert casting.
Ehhh she seems like a pretty easy role to cut. Berelain needs more time on screen than her role in the plot merits to avoid appearing like a one note temptress. Easier to cut her or condense a bunch of nobles/small ruler plotlines and focus on the leads.

While we're at it, cut gawyn. Have egwene fall in love with galad instead. Fixes so many problems and does a better job keeping the whitecloaks in the story consistently.

ABC
Always
Be
Cutting

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Pander posted:

While we're at it, cut gawyn. Have egwene fall in love with galad instead. Fixes so many problems and does a better job keeping the whitecloaks in the story consistently.

Cutting Gawain to keep Gallahad, for shame.

Galad wouldn't work well as a romantic plot if they keep anything resembling his characterization, and a hybridization of the two brothers could be super weird.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Synastren posted:

Cutting Gawain to keep Gallahad, for shame.

Galad wouldn't work well as a romantic plot if they keep anything resembling his characterization, and a hybridization of the two brothers could be super weird.

Dude falls for berelain for looks alone, why not have him fall for egwene?

And I'm not sure there's anything gawyn offers in the hybridization pairing. I'm just saying "galad meets egwene, finds her pretty and offers to help her, later his whitecloaks joining complicates things and she eventually softens his attitude toward aes sedai" is not a hard plotline to work with galad being very galady.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I swear we just had this conversation

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I refuse to accept any changes that stop Mat from getting to beat up both Galad and Gawyn simultaneously.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pander posted:

Dude falls for berelain for looks alone, why not have him fall for egwene?

And I'm not sure there's anything gawyn offers in the hybridization pairing. I'm just saying "galad meets egwene, finds her pretty and offers to help her, later his whitecloaks joining complicates things and she eventually softens his attitude toward aes sedai" is not a hard plotline to work with galad being very galady.

He did fall for Egwene. She was consistently his second concern, after Elayne, when everything started going to hell at the Tower. I know there's at least one scene of him going "Oh and you too Nynaeve." (I think to Nynaeve's face.)

The only reason Egwene ended up with Gawyn was that she wasn't sure if she was actually into Galad (and was hanging out with Elayne all the time, hearing her complaints) and Elayne (I think Elayne, and not Min) pointed out that Gawyn was also interested in her but was avoiding competing with his brother for her attention/affection.

I think combining them actually could work. It'd lead to major restructuring later, and I think cutting either Galad or Gawyn would be a loss, but it probably could work.

edit:

Ardlen posted:

I refuse to accept any changes that stop Mat from getting to beat up both Galad and Gawyn simultaneously.
You are, of course, completely correct. I rescind my last paragraph.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Goofballs posted:

And the wheel of time is genre fiction and I've known all along it was. I just couldn't get over this Harry Potter, Marvel Universe fan getting to end it. He liked black widow, a movie people only watched to have something to talk about to colleagues they hate.

yeah, his writing is fanfiction level

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pander posted:

Ehhh she seems like a pretty easy role to cut. Berelain needs more time on screen than her role in the plot merits to avoid appearing like a one note temptress. Easier to cut her or condense a bunch of nobles/small ruler plotlines and focus on the leads.

ABC
Always
Be
Cutting

berelain is a hot woman and this is a tv show, so she'll probably stay, but the series really needs to cut side plots and side characters and those two characters would be easy to cut because they have nothing to do with the main plot

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brolander posted:

i would be shocked if the spanking stuff survives

I'm guessing nobody is gonna be birched either :ohdear:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Someone was asking in the TV thread when the Aiel first show up. I think it's book two right? The horn hunting group comes across a bunch of them in some pass somewhere, they're already looking for He Who Comes With The Dawn? Maybe even Ruarc is with them, can't remember

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Perrin and Mat and Verin meet a random dude called Urien on the way to Cairhien then we don't see them again until all the main Aiel show up in book 3

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Someone was asking in the TV thread when the Aiel first show up. I think it's book two right? The horn hunting group comes across a bunch of them in some pass somewhere, they're already looking for He Who Comes With The Dawn? Maybe even Ruarc is with them, can't remember

Yeah, the Aiel show up in person twice during The Great Hunt. Once like you mentioned (after Rand is separated from them), and once later on in a stedding. The second time it's a few Maidens I think. Rhuarc doesn't show up until book 3 though, with Aviendha when they meet Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve on their way to Tear.

In the first book, you just get secondhand accounts.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Cool

Christ they're going to have a hard time making Aviendha not poo poo

Edit: oh wait they already confirmed they're not doing the foursome/harem thing right?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No, they're still going the multiple wives but they've said they want it to be more of a mutual thing between the women as well so expect more soft core pillow friends.

I had a dream last night where I was watching the show and then Moraine pulled out a flint lock pistol and shot at someone and I lost my poo poo and started yelling about how they majorly hosed up because it's a world specifically without gun powder until the end of the series and then I woke up and my pillow was missing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, they're still going the multiple wives but they've said they want it to be more of a mutual thing between the women as well so expect more soft core pillow friends.

I had a dream last night where I was watching the show and then Moraine pulled out a flint lock pistol and shot at someone and I lost my poo poo and started yelling about how they majorly hosed up because it's a world specifically without gun powder until the end of the series and then I woke up and my pillow was missing.

Christ, even your anime body pillow dumped you. That's harsh.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If Haruko doesn't understand the importance of maintaining story conventions then she's welcome to never come back.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I woke up and my pillow was missing.

I win again Lews Therin.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

El Grillo posted:

The first Aiel in the whole series is in book two. Urien is an Aielman of the Two Spires sept of the Reyn Aiel.

Mat, Ingtar and the Horn Hunters encounter him and ask him what he's doing and he says he's looking for He Who Comes With The Dawn.

Then also in book two they meet 3 Maidens of the Spear in Stedding Tsofu but don't really speak to them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There are some dying ones in the first book that could be moved to on screen, IIRC.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So if they're gaying up Moiraine/Siuan and Elayne/Avi then which men are they turning homo to keep things balanced? :thunkher:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rarity posted:

So if they're gaying up Moiraine/Siuan and Elayne/Avi then which men are they turning homo to keep things balanced? :thunkher:

Hopefully, Mat is at least bi.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hopefully, Mat is at least bi.

Mat is pansexual fight me

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rarity posted:

Logain, and of course every boy dreams of Ishmael. Just go full tim curry.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rarity posted:

Mat is pansexual fight me

no you're right, I'm old and still working on updating my language, that's on me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

no you're right, I'm old and still working on updating my language, that's on me

It's cool, the difference between bi and pan is pretty nuanced :)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

whether the two are any different at all is the subject of countless pages of tumblr arguments and there's no accepted definition (like i'll say 'queer' with people i know but 'bi' if i was talking to someone i didn't think was likely to recognize other terms and i didn't want to have to explain myself to)

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reclaiming "bi-sexual" for the tribble sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

making Min non-binary would have been an interesting way to have one of the main actors have a non-heterosexual relationship. Maybe they can cast faile as a dude.

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 29, 2021