Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Plus I think she had her own network.

It's text that the Tower has spies, the Ajahs each have their own networks of spies, and some individual sisters (including Moiraine) have personal contacts. The only sister to operate a network in Tar Valon itself, however, is Leane as Keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rarity posted:

I just realised we don't have anyone announced as Ishamael yet. I really hope they're holding back on a big name to surprise us with

I'm just waiting for Billy Zane to be announced for an unspecified character.

(He'd make a good Rahvin!)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Hexel posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense

During the battle of Falme when Rand is fighting Ba'alzamon his pov changes from just a normal "human" one to the kind of top-down view from the clouds

Is that a product of the horn or just some kind of saidin transcendence taking place? He doesn't ever become cloud Rand again right?

Have a quote from RJ about it (spoilers obviously): https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=204

quote:

QUESTION
At the end of The Great Hunt when Rand and Ishamael were fighting in the air above Falme, they appeared in the sky over many places and my question is whether this is something done by the One Power or something done by the Creator? How did they appear in the sky?

ROBERT JORDAN
An effect of the Wheel, really. It wasn't the Creator. The Wheel is more than a simple mechanism. Remember the Wheel can spin out ta'veren, can spin out Heroes as a self-correcting device because the Pattern is drifting from what it is supposed to be. We are not talking about something as simple as a spinning wheel at all, we are talking something more along the lines of the most complex computer you could possibly imagine. There were at that time, two, there were false Dragons that had a chance to create a lot of disruption. By the appearance in the sky at that battle, not just in Falme but in other places, those false Dragons were taken off the board because there was only room now for one, for one Dragon.

A lot of people speculate that there's some weird TAR overlap that happens when the horn is blown, and also that many of Rand's early fights vs. the Forsaken happen in TAR with him unknowingly chasing them there physically (FOH spoilers he first does this consciously with Rahvin). Not sure if there's a real answer on what exactly is going on though.

AMoL spoilers: When the horn is blown by Olver in AMoL this doesn't happen, though Rand is busy at the bore chattin' it up with Shaitan at the time while multiple armies are fighting all over, so the binding of the battles' outcomes to Rand's personal fight is expanded in scope significantly beyond a fight in a single city.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like the Falme stuff is one of those things where it seemed cool at the time and then didn't really fit into the mechanics jordan set up later so it's just "the Wheel did it"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’d have to start letting people fly and that’s probably harder to write around than portals. Let’s just pretend they were really fighting in a field and one powered a projection into the clouds cause Rand instinctively knew it would look badass.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rand and Isshy fighting in a field while the wheel is live streamlining to skystagram screaming WORLD STAAAAR

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

How are u posted:

Are there any other pods with first time readers?

There's a few out there, to varying degrees of quality. The Wheel Weaves is probably most similar to Wheel Takes in terms of quality production. Cool Story is pretty good, particularly if you like hearing queer folks' perspective on things. There's some others out there but most either have bad audio or poor host chemistry imo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vavrek posted:

I'm just waiting for Billy Zane to be announced for an unspecified character.

(He'd make a good Rahvin!)

In a surprise twist, Billy Zane is Moridin!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, no, he's too old.

He'd be a great Lews Therin, though. Wonderful little twist for the fans of his previous work.

Just ... give him time to rehearse and multiple takes to get his lines right, this time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lews Junior!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

There's a few out there, to varying degrees of quality. The Wheel Weaves is probably most similar to Wheel Takes in terms of quality production. Cool Story is pretty good, particularly if you like hearing queer folks' perspective on things. There's some others out there but most either have bad audio or poor host chemistry imo

I've been listening to both Weaves and Takes.

While Wheel Weaves has a decent production technically Wheel Takes just clicks more for me. Wheel Weaves I feel like isn't reading as carefully, as skeptically... and I think the first reader is sticking too hard to a lot of the first read pitfalls. Wheel Takes also is a lot more into the specific horny energy the series is into.

Example, in TSR, when Perrin's wounded war party finds Raen and Ila's camp, he greets Raen in the exact formula that he saw Elyas do once. Wheel Weaves' Dani is all like "I don't believe that he memorized that whole thing". There's no chasing of that conclusion and no followup. The whole podcast is like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 31, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been listening to both Weaves and Takes.

While Wheel Weaves has a decent production technically Wheel Takes just clicks more for me. Wheel Weaves I feel like isn't reading as carefully, as skeptically... and I think the first reader is sticking too hard to a lot of the first read pitfalls. Wheel Takes also is a lot more into the specific horny energy the series is into.

Example, in TSR, when Perrin's wounded war party finds Raen and Ila's camp, he greets Raen in the exact formula that he saw Elyas do once. Wheel Weaves' Dani is all like "I don't believe that he memorized that whole thing". There's no chasing of that conclusion and no followup. The whole podcast is like that.

Wheel Weaves is a Harry Potter-obsessed wine mom being forced to read the books by her dorky husband, which is sometimes fun and sometimes aggravating. I definitely prefer the horny theatre kid energy of Wheel Takes as well

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The best episode of Wheel Takes is the one where Ali breaks down in giggles for about an hour because Gus shows her the map of Tar Valon

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

Wheel Weaves is a Harry Potter-obsessed wine mom being forced to read the books by her dorky husband,
:yikes: Yeesh. Thanks for the heads-up. Like, I could imagine liking that, if Harry Potter had been the kind of amazing, transformative, introduction-to-fantasy experience for me that apparently it was for other people, but ...

CainsDescendant posted:

which is sometimes fun and sometimes aggravating. I definitely prefer the horny theatre kid energy of Wheel Takes as well
I think my favorite new idea is that the reason Rand associates sex with marriage is because he's in a chastity belt and Tam still has the key.

(And, immediately before that, discussing how things looked to Berelain: "He's in his underwear, right?" "Yeah, he's in his smallclothes." "And he just woke up out of a sex dream?" "A sex dream that suddenly turned bloody and horrific, yes." "So he's at full mast.")

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best episode of Wheel Takes is the one where Ali breaks down in giggles for about an hour because Gus shows her the map of Tar Valon

Which episode is that? Lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Another thing I'm having a hard time with this readthrough is them walking over and over the thought that the Aiel reject the idea of spying entirely--the clan chiefs refuse to spy on the Shaido, the Wise Ones refuse to spy on the Shaido, people sent to spy on the Aiel are treated worse than da'tsang, but Dani (and maybe Brett, I don't know) just have absolutely no problem with the idea that Aviendha was actually sent to spy on Rand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 31, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

Which episode is that? Lol

https://pod.casts.io/podcasts/wheel-takes/episodes/tgh-ch17-18-thank-god-for-that-old-pervert

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's so juvenile but I still love when people realize it

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Another thing I'm having a hard time with this readthrough is them walking over and over the thought that the Aiel reject the idea of spying entirely--the clan chiefs refuse to spy on the Shaido, the Wise Ones refuse to spy on the Shaido, people sent to spy on the Aiel are treated worse than da'tsang, but Dani (and maybe Brett, I don't know) just have absolutely no problem with the idea that Aviendha was actually sent to spy on Rand.
It can be argued that Aviendha as a spy is a cover story that the Wise Ones are happy to let Rand believe so that he doesn't suspect their real plan, that she's there as a love interest and to bind Rand to the Aiel and "know his blood". I'm guessing the reason for this is a combo of Rhuidean visions + foretelling style dreams like Egwene has + spying on Rand's dreams and seeing him skinny dipping with Aviendha (and Min and Elayne while Egwene and/or Lanfear look on disapprovingly) every night. Which, more directly to the spying point, the dreamwalker Wise Ones are explicitly spying via dreams and are pissed once he learns the appropriate wards from Asmodean so....yeah.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It can be argued that Aviendha as a spy is a cover story that the Wise Ones are happy to let Rand believe so that he doesn't suspect their real plan, that she's there as a love interest and to bind Rand to the Aiel and "know his blood". I'm guessing the reason for this is a combo of Rhuidean visions + foretelling style dreams like Egwene has + spying on Rand's dreams and seeing him skinny dipping with Aviendha (and Min and Elayne while Egwene and/or Lanfear look on disapprovingly) every night. Which, more directly to the spying point, the dreamwalker Wise Ones are explicitly spying via dreams and are pissed once he learns the appropriate wards from Asmodean so....yeah.

You also notice that Moiraine occasionally let the Wise Ones share in her snooping on Rand.

But I feel like this is the Wise Ones very clearly deciding that what Moiraine's trick does, and their dreamwalking does, is not spying per se. The physical act of spying, however, goes against honor.

But yes, placing Aviendha in proximity to Rand is pretty specifically for the purpose of tying Rand back to the Aiel--Aviendha's Wise One teachers slip occasionally about how "if only you had been successful by now", and "she's more successful than you think" etc. Like, going so far as putting her in Rand's bedchambers. It's doubly funny when Egwene tries to talk to the Wise Ones about it when you realize Aviendha knows what it's about and Egwene does not.

I'm not sure what the original plan was for Aviendha's apprenticeship and the Dragon's Peace unveiling at the Fields of Merrilor, but Brandon Sanderson clearly picked up on the Wise Ones' actual plan when he put together Aviendha's glass columns vision in Towers of Midnight--she could see into the central future of the Aiel because she would bear Rand's blood forward in time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 1, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Barreft posted:

It's so juvenile but I still love when people realize it

It's really incredible, because when you first hear about it there's a pretty reasonable "well, it's a river island, right? Those tend to have a characteristic shape anyway, so it it could be a subtle reference or fans just reading too much into it ..."

And then you see the picture.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

Wheel Weaves is a Harry Potter-obsessed wine mom being forced to read the books by her dorky husband, which is sometimes fun and sometimes aggravating. I definitely prefer the horny theatre kid energy of Wheel Takes as well

Whoa whoa whoa now. I get that this is a take that's out there, because I've seen it elsewhere, but you don't get a 3 episodes/2 weeks schedule for 2 and half years that involves someone that hates the material. I think part of it is the understated dry-wit that Dani is going for (which I can definitely see as not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you don't know what living in Edmonton does to folks).

At the end of the day, it's just great having more people invested enough in the books to put out these types of fan-generated content for us all to dive into. Good to have options and different ways to approach the material (which aren't even mutually exclusive; I support both Wheel Takes and Wheel Weaves on Patreon).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RedFlag posted:

Whoa whoa whoa now. I get that this is a take that's out there, because I've seen it elsewhere, but you don't get a 3 episodes/2 weeks schedule for 2 and half years that involves someone that hates the material. I think part of it is the understated dry-wit that Dani is going for (which I can definitely see as not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you don't know what living in Edmonton does to folks).

At the end of the day, it's just great having more people invested enough in the books to put out these types of fan-generated content for us all to dive into. Good to have options and different ways to approach the material (which aren't even mutually exclusive; I support both Wheel Takes and Wheel Weaves on Patreon).

Yeah now they're full throated Donald Rumsfeld backing the jackboot plans of early TFoH Rand so uhhhh

Maybe like,

I dunno

Give this one a hard loving pass

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There's a certain baseline level of "ok these guys are against the female characters because they get in the way of the male characters having an adventure" that I'll overlook, but this frankly ain't it

Tripping over and cheerleading the "might makes right" and "let's get the trains on time" trap as adults says it's a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire material, at a minimum.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 1, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what you’re referring to

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did Rand ever use the Aiel to straight up conquer poo poo, apart from Arad Doman? The Aiel presence did help in Tear, but they weren't his at that point, and claiming Callandor, proving himself to be the Dragon Reborn, that counted for a lot, too. Cairhien he straight up saved from Couladin, and he liberated Caemlyn from Rahvin (who even had quite a few trollocs and Myrdraal in the city). He conquered/liberated Illian from Sammael, but used the Saldaeans instead. And the text made it clear that the Council of Nine might very well have chosen a different king if not for the grain he ordered shipped to Illian. The Aiel were mostly busy dealing with the Shaido, and the Seanchan later on.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Let's not mince words.

He conquered all those places with Aiel.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

You also notice that Moiraine occasionally let the Wise Ones share in her snooping on Rand.

But I feel like this is the Wise Ones very clearly deciding that what Moiraine's trick does, and their dreamwalking does, is not spying per se. The physical act of spying, however, goes against honor.

But yes, placing Aviendha in proximity to Rand is pretty specifically for the purpose of tying Rand back to the Aiel--Aviendha's Wise One teachers slip occasionally about how "if only you had been successful by now", and "she's more successful than you think" etc. Like, going so far as putting her in Rand's bedchambers. It's doubly funny when Egwene tries to talk to the Wise Ones about it when you realize Aviendha knows what it's about and Egwene does not.

I'm not sure what the original plan was for Aviendha's apprenticeship and the Dragon's Peace unveiling at the Fields of Merrilor, but Brandon Sanderson clearly picked up on the Wise Ones' actual plan when he put together Aviendha's glass columns vision in Towers of Midnight--she could see into the central future of the Aiel because she would bear Rand's blood forward in time.

I always thought about it as the Wise One's job is to know everyone's business, and to do that they won't spy on you by disguising who they are or hiding anything. They'll simply look or listen to what they want, and tough titties for you if it's done in a dream.
Spying involves sneaking about and even worse, disguising yourself, which is the same as lying - and that violates ji'e'toh.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

CainsDescendant posted:

Horny theatre kids is the perfect description for Wheel Takes.

The funniest thing to me was them discussing the reason for Thom's exile from Caemlyn was him dropping a diss track about Morgase.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rename to bad wheel takes tbh :ohdear:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Horny theatre kids is the perfect description for Wheel Takes.

Yeah, and that was never my crowd and maybe that's why I find it a little cringe. Angry wine-mom with dry humor sounds promising, maybe I'll check that out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Don't Ask posted:

I always thought about it as the Wise One's job is to know everyone's business, and to do that they won't spy on you by disguising who they are or hiding anything. They'll simply look or listen to what they want, and tough titties for you if it's done in a dream.
Spying involves sneaking about and even worse, disguising yourself, which is the same as lying - and that violates ji'e'toh.

Sneaking does not seem to violate ji'e'toh, even in the Aiel's highly ji'e'toh honorbound form of warfare. Lying does not seem to accrue that much dishonor, Aviendha only had to admit it to Bair, not Rand or the other person, and Bair thought it a waste of her time to punish Aviendha for it.

I think you're close, but not close enough.

How are u posted:

Yeah, and that was never my crowd and maybe that's why I find it a little cringe. Angry wine-mom with dry humor sounds promising, maybe I'll check that out.

And I don't think that's an accurate description of Brett and Dani. I don't think they're getting close enough to insightful or critical enough reads (like neuxue or Gus and Ali) for it to be as wildly entertaining, and I think some of their takes are extremely cringe in terms of like ... anything. Right now, for example, they're fully backing Rand's powertrip against all in-universe criticism.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 1, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

And I don't think that's an accurate description of Brett and Dani. I don't think they're getting close enough to insightful or critical enough reads (like neuxue or Gus and Ali) for it to be as wildly entertaining, and I think some of their takes are extremely cringe in terms of like ... anything. Right now, for example, they're fully backing Rand's powertrip against all in-universe criticism.

I don't really care about insightful criticism. I'm looking to enjoy somebody going through the series for the first time, in a way that's not grating to me. If some folks are reading it and thinking "alright yeah Rand, blow 'em all up!" I'm not going to get grumpy because the readers are not adhering to proper politics.

There's not a "right" way to enjoy the books, there are just "ways" that people have. Some folks want to snort and giggle and be horny, that's fine, but it doesn't really do it for me.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

"Horny theatre kids podcast" just makes me immediately make the :chloe: face

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There’s nowhere near enough breaking out into song for me to classify Wheel Takes as full theater kid energy

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

You’d have to start letting people fly and that’s probably harder to write around than portals. Let’s just pretend they were really fighting in a field and one powered a projection into the clouds cause Rand instinctively knew it would look badass.
When they're in the sky at Falme, and when Rand's in the sky over Tarwin's Gap, just have it literally the same thing, he inadvertently opened a portal in the sky.
As to why it opens at that particular position in the sky so everyone can see.... uh... Ta'veren!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Democratic Pirate posted:

There’s nowhere near enough breaking out into song for me to classify Wheel Takes as full theater kid energy

There's...there's definitely some of it, though.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the husband and wife one that was linked before was extremely bad. the wife was trying to say that obviously the protagonist of a 14 book series isn't going to die to these random monsters in book 2 and the husband kept saying "wweeeeeeheheelllll I don't know the monsters are pretty dangerous!." this lovely dynamic that kept going back and forth between trying to lead her to come to a particular conclusion so he can go oh nope you're wrong!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I always assumed the super weird poo poo that happens between Ba'alzamon and Rand is Ish just drawing insane amounts of the True Power and it going completely batshit as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

its actually weird things ish consciously chooses to do because he thinks its metal as gently caress and awesome, but his focus on this is why he gets owned by rand every time

this is actually the madness the rest of the forsaken reference, not that he thinks he's the dark one or wants to undo all of creation