Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

In their respective genres, they might be. But it's less comparing apples and oranges than comparing apples and neutron stars.

Really, they're very close to the two extremes of 40k books. TIATD is probably more lighthearted and fun than any other Black Library book except for Brutal Kunnin' and maybe some Ciaphas Cain stories, while Fire Caste is unrelentingly grim and hauntingly dark in a way that makes every non-Fehervari 'grimdark' book look juvenile.

Sounds like they're on the same level then, just taking 40k in opposite directions.

The "Dark Coil" corner of the 40k universe by Peter Fehervari is elevating the whole thing. I really recommend it for people that haven't tried his books yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I take every opportunity to recommend Fehervari's books because they are top tier warhams

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Fehervari is indeed extremely good and he has a new short story out today! Part of a horror anthology named “the accursed”

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Welp. Having bounced off the e-pub version of thread favourite The infinite and the divine, I've just done the same for the audible version.

I just can't give a poo poo about Necron stuff (or Eldar). :shrug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. Having bounced off the e-pub version of thread favourite The infinite and the divine, I've just done the same for the audible version.

Ban this sick filth

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

sounds like a personal problem

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Am I out of touch?

No! It is the kids the thread who are out of touch!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Deptfordx posted:

I haven't read TIATD so I have no robot skeleton horse in this race, but I've heard it's good so I'd like to hear what didn't work for you about it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh it's not a sophisticated literary criticism.

My brain just goes *Nope* every time I start reading about Necron doings.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Deptfordx posted:

Its not Necrons. Its interdepartmental university feuding.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

My brain just goes *Nope* every time I start reading about Ork doings.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Deptfordx posted:

My brain just goes *Nope* every time I start reading about Necron loyalist Space Marines doings.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have a soft spot for the more obviously flawed Loyalist chapters (Black Templars and Blood Angels mostly) but the vast majority of them are very boring.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Holy poo poo get pumped!

quote:

Synopsis
Expand/Collapse Synopsis
An Orks Novella

An origin story unlike any other, Da Gobbo’s Revenge plumbs the very depths of the ork psyche to show you just what happens when you kick the wrong grot one too many times.

READ IT BECAUSE

Mike Brooks proves once again he’s the master of ork kultur. You’ll witness the rise of one of the most enduring and, dare we say it, lovable legends in all of orkdom.

THE STORY

Fingwit is a grot.

Food, riches, prestige, some form of personal safety all of these are alien concepts to him, stuck firmly as he is at the bottom of the high, kunnin', and brutally violent heap that constitutes ork society, where to be a grot is to suffer endless torment.

However, when the Mek whom Fingwit unwillingly serves leads him and his fellow grots in a boarding action of an Imperial vessel as part of a vast void war, Fingwit is presented with an opportunity to become not just a hero but a legend... Da Red Gobbo.

Written by Mike Brooks

Edit: Holy poo poo! This is actually available for purchase and to read right now on Kobo. I think it may be a mistake, but I just bought it and successfully downloaded it on my phone and am reading it:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/da-gobbo-s-revenge

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 1, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jesus Christ The Wolftime is also available on Kobo right now. Purchased and downloaded. Not supposed to be out for two weeks.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 1, 2021

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

D-Pad posted:

Holy poo poo get pumped!

Edit: Holy poo poo! This is actually available for purchase and to read right now on Kobo. I think it may be a mistake, but I just bought it and successfully downloaded it on my phone and am reading it:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/da-gobbo-s-revenge

loving good looking out! Just started reading it and it's definitely right up my alley. Cheers!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ardent Communist posted:

loving good looking out! Just started reading it and it's definitely right up my alley. Cheers!

Same style as Brutal Kunnin'?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Angry Lobster posted:

Same style as Brutal Kunnin'?

Yeah, except without the Mechanicus parts. Could be longer though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, except without the Mechanicus parts. Could be longer though.

Sounds great to me, Brutal Kunnin was pretty good for what it was and the Mechanicus part dragged it down.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Jesus Christ The Wolftime is also available on Kobo right now. Purchased and downloaded. Not supposed to be out for two weeks.

Is Russ back or no?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OPAONI posted:

Is Russ back or no?

Not too far in it yet. I doubt it but here's hoping.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ouh, was he mighta sorta supposed to be making a return? If so lemme know asap cuz that is the poo poo my inner 15 year old has been kicking and stomping for.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Philthy posted:

Ouh, was he mighta sorta supposed to be making a return? If so lemme know asap cuz that is the poo poo my inner 15 year old has been kicking and stomping for.

"The Wolftime" is (iirc) the foretold event where Russ comes back, so it's an assumption based on the title of the book

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

"The Wolftime" is (iirc) the foretold event where Russ comes back, so it's an assumption based on the title of the book

Yeah this. I seriously doubt he is actually coming back in it because I doubt it would just be a random return in the 3rd Dawn of Fire book. They'd probably have a much bigger event surrounding it. Can't believe they wasted that title on a book in which he isn't coming back. Never know though I'm not too far in yet so he might actually come back. I'm betting he doesn't come back but that there is some kind of reference or teaser about him.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Looks like Kobo fixed things and they are unavailable now. Hope a few of you got a chance to jump on it. I'll update with reviews of both books here in a few days.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Looks like Kobo fixed things and they are unavailable now. Hope a few of you got a chance to jump on it. I'll update with reviews of both books here in a few days.

It's a Gav Thorpe book - how are the initial impressions?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Cross-posting from the Bad With Money thread

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think that's the image that had me registering @orkstokks on Twitter. I was working on a chatbot to tell you what colour a random ticker symbol was and give investment advice on that basis. Got stuck working out how to convert hex codes into a name of a colour.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that's the image that had me registering @orkstokks on Twitter. I was working on a chatbot to tell you what colour a random ticker symbol was and give investment advice on that basis. Got stuck working out how to convert hex codes into a name of a colour.

Start a new crypto, Ork.coin and make off with enough to keep you in GW product for life.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Ya but, there aren't exactly a plethora of Black Library books that delve this deeply into their inner workings or that are even from the perspective of two very powerful Necron lords.

So how did you even get like this?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm afraid there's a long and sad history of 'Fear of Pharonic space robots' that runs in my familys genes.

We prayed it'd skip our generation, but alas. :(

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 1, 2021

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Yeah this. I seriously doubt he is actually coming back in it because I doubt it would just be a random return in the 3rd Dawn of Fire book. They'd probably have a much bigger event surrounding it. Can't believe they wasted that title on a book in which he isn't coming back. Never know though I'm not too far in yet so he might actually come back. I'm betting he doesn't come back but that there is some kind of reference or teaser about him.

During the end of Godblight the Emperor fucks up Nurgle's garden, I'm wondering if this could finally free Isha, the Eldar goddess of healing.

I know Russ went into the warp to look for a way to revive the Emperor, maybe this could tie into his return.

Anyway, I'm sure the return of the next Primarch will be spoiled because selling little plastic toys is more profitable than books.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm so excited, came across one of my top grail books for a great price

All I need is the LE Eisenhorn box set and my Inquisitor shrine will be done

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm so excited, came across one of my top grail books for a great price

All I need is the LE Eisenhorn box set and my Inquisitor shrine will be done

Man that's gorgeous

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Black Library LE books are amazing. I’ve got two and they’re just insane.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Philthy posted:

Black Library LE books are amazing. I’ve got two and they’re just insane.

They are great looking but the material and build quality is poo poo. They are made in China for as cheap as possible and defects are common and they will fall apart quite easily if they aren't cared for extremely well. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I collect limited editions from a lot of different publishers and BL LE quality is poo poo. I understand why though, at those price points that is about as good as you are going to get. They'd have to charge $100-$300 more per book if they wanted to do something more acceptable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've got random hardbacks with faux-leather cover that have stood up fine to just being thrown in a backpack for bus reading. I think you're under-estimating how much GW cheap out here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dante is a better leader of the Blood Angels than Sanguinius was (not to mention he's done it longer)

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

not to mention he's done it longer

:colbert:

This is one of the things that I love about the Black Legion books. It acknowledges that the traitor astartes have been fighting the war longer than the primarchs were around for and have surpassed them in so many ways despite their lack of supernatural gifts.