Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It's just some mild confusion based on the language used in various marketing tweets and the trailer synopsis.

For instance Chris Evans said: "And just to be clear, this isn’t Buzz Lightyear the toy. This is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on" And the other materials make the same mentions.

"This is the human that Buzz is based off of" is weird language and just triggers the kneejerk "based on true events" style interpretation that my brain defaulted to.

If you say "this is the action blockbuster that inspired the line of toys" or something like that, it makes it obvious.

But "this is the origin story of the person that inspired the toy" makes it sound like you're talking about a real (in the TS universe) person.

They should have just said nothing.

I don’t know exactly how to describe it, but I think the ‘real life’ framing they’re trying to dance around is because having it be a movie that only exists within a movie…lowers the stakes of the film and maybe it loses some of the gravitas during the emotional beats?

Like, we want the story of Buzz Lightyear, not the story being told by the actor playing Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story universe. Even if they never break the 4th wall within the film…cheapens it a bit in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

thrawn527 posted:

Not as weird as you’d think!

Using a song about having sex on crystal meth for the Tigger movie is still the gold standard I think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The twist is that Lightyear is the violent R-rated sci-fi movie that inexplicably had a Saturday morning cartoon and a line of toys for kids.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

The twist is that Lightyear is the violent R-rated sci-fi movie that inexplicably had a Saturday morning cartoon and a line of toys for kids.

I mean, Aliens and Predator had kick rear end toy lines and comics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

confused posted:

When I first saw the title I read it as Bayonetta. Then I saw the still image and thought, "Wow! Verhoeven directing a Bayonetta movie. That's awesome!" After my disappointment, I realized that I really need Verhoeven to do a Bayonetta movie. That would be hilariously awesome.

I've never played Bayonetta. The only thing I know about really is a female developer on it mentioning the main creator poured all his fetishes into it. I wish I could find the twitter clip, its hilarious.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Shageletic posted:

I've never played Bayonetta. The only thing I know about really is a female developer on it mentioning the main creator poured all his fetishes into it. I wish I could find the twitter clip, its hilarious.

Oh... for sure. That's why a Verhoeven movie based on it would be hilarious. Imagine a movie combining Starship Troopers and Showgirls.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think benedetta looks sick

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wuffles posted:

They should have just said nothing.

I don’t know exactly how to describe it, but I think the ‘real life’ framing they’re trying to dance around is because having it be a movie that only exists within a movie…lowers the stakes of the film and maybe it loses some of the gravitas during the emotional beats?

Like, we want the story of Buzz Lightyear, not the story being told by the actor playing Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story universe. Even if they never break the 4th wall within the film…cheapens it a bit in my opinion.

It's a baby step away from "It was all just a dream..."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BonoMan posted:

I honestly didn't even know this was being made, but it looks great.

Pixar's Lightyear teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPL0Md_QFQ

edit: I'm kind of confused about the timeline. This is the story of Chris Evans' character that inspires the toy. But it's clearly set in the future (at least it looks like it) ahead of the original Toy Story.

Or maybe it's not. Maybe he just travels to futuristic worlds (I definitely see some relatively timeline whiteboard stuff) but we're supposed to believe that space tech to at least start his journey is set in pre-Toy Story world? Not sure.

edit: whoops totally misinterpreted the synopsis

Wait is the evil cat from Lily C.A.T.?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Props for using the original song instead of a terrible slow cover.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think benedetta looks sick

idk about sick but it looks really good

verhoeven & rampling? sign me up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MonsieurChoc posted:

Props for using the original song instead of a terrible slow cover.

also jared leto is way less present in this trailer than the one from 6(?) months ago

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish he could ramp down his presence everywhere all the way to 0.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m excited for house of gucci because i love crime movies about idiots. So bring it on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

edogawa rando posted:

I wish he could ramp down his presence everywhere all the way to 0.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pipe dream: scott recast him like spacey, but the shots arent ready yet

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’m excited for house of gucci because i love crime movies about idiots. So bring it on

Why exactly is this case notable? There have been a few Gucci murder adaptations and I just don't get why anyone should care about these rich assholes. There are so many way more interesting cases out there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hakkesshu posted:

Why exactly is this case notable? There have been a few Gucci murder adaptations and I just don't get why anyone should care about these rich assholes. There are so many way more interesting cases out there.

People care because they are rich assholes and Gucci is one of the most valuable luxury brands on the planet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean, Aliens and Predator had kick rear end toy lines and comics.

Robocop and Terminator had decent toy lines too

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I hear there are some people out there badmouthing Lady Gaga's accent in that trailer. Those people must be insane because from what I can tell that's like 50% of the reason to see the movie. Jared Leto, especially when he's in an unrecognizable amount of makeup, is a huge negative, so that accent's doing a lot of work.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

all of the accents annoy me. it doesn't matter which.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

all of the accents annoy me. it doesn't matter which.

tbh pacino is the funniest in therem hes like schwartzenegger, but instead of austria->america its brooklyn->two streets over..... madon' this fuckin guy "little italy" is two streets over, you!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Always weird seeing Richard Harrow with a full face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven’t heard of it. I just watch any crime movie about idiots. I’m not picky!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I've heard of Versace murder adaptations but not Gucci.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't even know the handbag man was killed, I just thought the trailer was neat. Thanks for the unmarked spoilers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I hear there are some people out there badmouthing Lady Gaga's accent in that trailer. Those people must be insane because from what I can tell that's like 50% of the reason to see the movie. Jared Leto, especially when he's in an unrecognizable amount of makeup, is a huge negative, so that accent's doing a lot of work.

...isn't that just her native Italian-American accent?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That is not what Italian-Americans sound like no.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

BonoMan posted:

I honestly didn't even know this was being made, but it looks great.

Pixar's Lightyear teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPL0Md_QFQ

edit: I'm kind of confused about the timeline. This is the story of Chris Evans' character that inspires the toy. But it's clearly set in the future (at least it looks like it) ahead of the original Toy Story.

Or maybe it's not. Maybe he just travels to futuristic worlds (I definitely see some relatively timeline whiteboard stuff) but we're supposed to believe that space tech to at least start his journey is set in pre-Toy Story world? Not sure.

edit: whoops totally misinterpreted the synopsis

Is there a reason Pixar hated that Buzz Lightyear animated series so much other than they didn't work on it? I thought the movie was pretty good

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Obviously at the climax of the film Buzz is temporarily flung backwards through time to the early 90’s. Before returning to his own time he tells his life story to a random guy he meets, this man is then inspired to create a toy line based on his life. Bing bong so simple.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Is there a reason Pixar hated that Buzz Lightyear animated series so much other than they didn't work on it? I thought the movie was pretty good

I don't know, but this popped up as a YouTube recommendation for me the other day and presumably can tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kBEJjbSZE

I ain't watching that, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScM9lqsuRgc

Kind of a new teaser for Morbius. New trailer tomorrow. Mostly Jared Leto begging you to remember this movie is still a thing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
He said it. He said web.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thrawn527 posted:

Kind of a new teaser for Morbius. New trailer tomorrow. Mostly Jared Leto begging you to remember this movie is still a thing.

wow, so much enthusiasm

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow, so much enthusiasm
I absolutely love how cut up his first sentence is.
"Morbius is a / Marvel character / who's been / (an) important part of / the / universe..."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

thrawn527 posted:

My only knowledge of Morbius comes from the 90s Spiderman Cartoon, why isn't he constantly talking about how he needs plasma?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did they seriously not release the trailer a day earlier, on Halloween?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lobok posted:

Did they seriously not release the trailer a day earlier, on Halloween?

They didn't want to ruin everyone's fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Should've gone with the lamprey hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

The gently caress is with the hyper-dramatic Fur Elise