Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, I really love that story precisely because of the conflict between the main character's ideals and the realities of the world he lives in. He is changed and grows to accept that violence is necessary sometimes, but he never likes it and it's clearly traumatic. Ok the other hand, being willing to use the insane amount of power he has lets him do some incredibly positive things for the world.

I really like the tension between different world views various characters have. There are pretty much always understandable reasons for those beliefs, but I never felt the story forgot that murder and tyranny are bad actually.

As an exploration of an OP idealists struggle with a fascist metaphysics, it's much more thoughtful and satisfying than, say, He Who Fights With Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst is great, I'm a Patreon sub for them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nettle Soup posted:

Reading Ar'kendrithyst because it seems to get a lot of love here, and I'm currently at chapter 39. Does it get... Better?

If it does, it doesn't get better soon enough for me.

The MC almost never argues when being lectured about how stupid he is. Eventually he was given the same lecture enough times that it felt more like the author was lecturing the readers, and I decided I was done listening to a one-sided harangue.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

LLSix posted:

If it does, it doesn't get better soon enough for me.

The MC almost never argues when being lectured about how stupid he is. Eventually he was given the same lecture enough times that it felt more like the author was lecturing the readers, and I decided I was done listening to a one-sided harangue.

I think it’s because he’s a social worker and has given similar speeches to dumb/ignorant people. He understands what’s happening and is either patient or willing to listen.

There’s times when he has zero patience or willingness to listen to others, usually when his daughter is concerned.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

He also gets a lot better about not getting lectured at, because at some point he internalizes enough of it that he adapts his worldview to something that better fits that of the world. It’s been interesting seeing a man for whom violence was never a resort at all come to terms with a world that is fundamentally violent without abandoning the core values of who he is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Reading it I was mostly just annoyed at how very quickly he became comically overpowered. It didn't sound like people from different dimensions were unheard of at the start of the story, so his ability to fundamentally alter the nature of magic with high school physics felt extremely ridiculous. I don't mind slice of life stories, what I mind is that, as far as I read, it felt like Erick could do no wrong and would always be able to significantly improve whatever he chose to mess with for no particular reason. It just felt like trashy power level Isekai, only applied to non-violent ends, which is still trashy.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 26, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Planars are extremely uncommon, but they're commonly known. There's a creation story involving them, even. And he's unusually good at magic, but not uniquely good. It's just rare that people can work with magic like that. The thing that makes Erick actually unique is being an Archmage but not hiding in a bunker and doing everything remotely for state level amounts of money. But the first book up until Shadow's Feast is the roughest, feels like the longest, and a lot of stuff seems slightly stupid until there's more context later. A lot of the stuff seeming like that is on purpose, cuz Erick doesn't know poo poo and just assumed something.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 26, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I enjoyed Ar'kendrithyst and my main criticism is that I have to search and cut/paste the stupid name.

I enjoyed the short-sighted "wizards: no sense of right and wrong" type stuff and while he's got a hero shield and never directly eats serious consequences, my favorite parts are the more realistic way nations/leaders are predisposed to hate and/or manipulate him for their own ends, even as strong as he is there's always someone stronger, and how directly his nose gets rubbed in his pacifist decisions (especially recently in the masquerading around not-asia arc)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. That's what's the best about it. It feels like the most fleshed out, lived in place I've read in a novel lately.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Absolutely. A universe with DnD metaphysics that got apocalypsed into a universe with real world physics is a pretty cool setting, and I love that it gets fleshed out pretty well. Things fit together pretty intricately.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
my only complaint with the story is the long sections of spell crafting can get insanely muddled and tedious. there's no cool metaphysical blending of song and spirit, its just feels like reading someone design a Path of Exile build

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TWI Patreon drat near broke my heart.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Socrates being the old teacher in Virtuous Sons just makes sense.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

tithin posted:

TWI Patreon drat near broke my heart.

It's real good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

tithin posted:

TWI Patreon:

Finally some resolution to the "class" that Ksmvr's been hinted at for entirely too long.

Bit of a silver theme going on with out friends the horns I've noticed.

Now that this is the public chapter, I can say that my main concern is that Yvlon's arms are made of nanomachines, and they're gonna assimilate the sewers?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A Journey of Black & Red is going to end up with Evangelions, isn't it. Only with more blood. And bigger guns.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: It's interesting to see an example of Catherine's "willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good" philosophy having some holes poked in it. As she admits herself, she absolutely would have (completely unnecessarily) abandoned those hundreds of drow solely on the basis that it was a small risk (and freeing them ended up being a simple manner). I'm also fine with Akua's personality changes - I think the story did a pretty good job of showing how it gradually happened (basically taking someone who had spent their entire life in this warped environment and forcing them into a different one for years). Going back to Praes and seeing normal people there (and the impact her past actions had on them) was basically just the straw that broke the camel's back. She kind of went the opposite direction of Catherine, who started "normal" and gradually had to open herself up to greater levels of violence. I'm enjoying the current arc because I enjoy the drow in general.

Outcast: I think the recent chapter did a good job of navigating its recent tense situation in a way that managed to make sense while still retaining a strong feeling of tension. Throwing a waymarked item to someone fleeing and then getting the monster's attention and going in the opposite direction was a reasonable "solution" (it's generally best when characters solve problems with clever applications of their existing toolset) and something unnecessarily going wrong with the solution was also a nice touch.

There were handful of people in the comments getting mad about the main character suffering a significant "debuff," which is really funny to me. Like goddamn, you have A Zillion Other Web Serials to draw from if you just want to watch number go up. One guy was like "THIS DOES IT, I'M PUTTING THIS ON SKIM."

We also got to see another example of a weakness in Rob's "build." He has to get close to things to do anything meaningful to enemies, which left him completely helpless (whereas the Mages and Rangers were at least able to slightly slow down the Blight).

I'm pouring one out for Randor.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I love the types who are like WTF this web serial has a plot and characters??? You scumbag author how dare you. Motherfucker there's a thousand stupid badly translated novels for you to read.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
katalepsis patreon: holy loving poo poo

e:

TUTBAD 37:

quote:

“Oh, right!” said Verity. Her voice felt like it was an octave too high. “Yes, a week ago. It’s really been pretty great.” There were too many superlatives, but it was the kind of problem that became apparent only once the words were out of her mouth, impossible to correct in the moment.
[...]
“Yeah, you too!” said Verity. For a moment she stood there awkwardly, but having nothing better to do, she moved off down the street like she, too, had business to attend to.

Verity was not good at flirting.

lmao verity is a full on disaster lesbian

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
The latest chapter of Underland is great, and had this small exchange that I loved:

quote:

“We go in and try to locate the mage behind the protective spell,” Marianne said. “If we face resistance, we retreat at once. Gathering information is our priority.”

Bertrand responded with a nod, his eyes briefly turning red. “Shall we split up to cover more ground?”

“Absolutely not.” Divided they would make an easier target. “Stay close to me.”

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

quote:

“Yes!” said Xy. “That’s absolutely the kind of thing I would love to have. Of course, half the fun is just playing around with them, so I guess I’ll talk to your guy and see if I can do a bit of that too.”

“Oh, Alfric isn’t,” said Verity. “He’s not really my guy. Just a party leader.” This felt, in immediate retrospect, like an inane and stupid thing to say.

lmao. gay gay homosexual gay

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I felt Verity's awkwardness in my heart.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm still in the middle of it but this TWI patreon chapter is hilarious so far, from the moment Ryoka realizes what the Viscount is to all the allusions to earth mythology sprinkled all over the chapter that only Ryoka recognizes as anything meaningful

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I am loving poo poo-awful at naming things. Really wanting to get moving on my webseries but "Postapoc Project" just...doesn't have that ring to it, y'know? :bang:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's ok, the thing I'm working on is called "dragon book"

Postapoc Project could be a pretty good name tbh, it has alliteration and everything!

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I am loving poo poo-awful at naming things. Really wanting to get moving on my webseries but "Postapoc Project" just...doesn't have that ring to it, y'know? :bang:

In the end, as long as the name is somewhat unique, and doesn't have unfortunately "shortening", you'll be fine.

[MC's Name] and the Apocalypse - as long as MC's name is unique but not "super-unique", is a fine name, and gets shortened to [MC's Name]. BOOM. Done.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Apocalypse Meow: How I Created The Ultimate Wasteland Catgirl Harem

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

It's ok, the thing I'm working on is called "dragon book"

Postapoc Project could be a pretty good name tbh, it has alliteration and everything!

Were I a high fantasy fan, I would no poo poo read a book called "Dragonbook".

Postapoc Project might be a name for the webseries itself, come to think of it.

Selkie Myth posted:

In the end, as long as the name is somewhat unique, and doesn't have unfortunately "shortening", you'll be fine.

[MC's Name] and the Apocalypse - as long as MC's name is unique but not "super-unique", is a fine name, and gets shortened to [MC's Name]. BOOM. Done.

And individual chapter/post titles roughly in this format.

Cicero posted:

Apocalypse Meow: How I Created The Ultimate Wasteland Catgirl Harem

Decidedly what I'm trying to avoid :v:

I just discovered Google's My Maps features. Mapping is one of my favorite parts of worldbuilding and I can remove all of the clutter and leave only my labels by changing the base map. Currently "redesigning" Spring Hill, UT after Provo, Salt Lake City, and the Air Force/Army proving grounds got the poo poo nuked out of them by the Chinese. :getin:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

D34THROW posted:

You would think that naming things gets easier as you become a more experienced writer.

It does not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After seeing it recommended in the latest Outcast chapter, I tried reading "Nine-To-Five Villainy"

I like it so far. Nothing particularly exceptional going on with the story yet, but it's very competently written. It basically manages to meet the hard-to-define quality of writing that allows me to trust the author.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

D34THROW posted:

What's the actual premise of the story?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Megazver posted:

What's the actual premise of the story?

Starts about a century post-nuclear-apocalypse, not quite Fallout scale conflict but a main exchange between the U.S. and Russia/China/North Korea (assimilated by Russia and China) sparked a bunch of smaller things (Israel and neighbors, India and Pakistan) and the world economy collapsed as a result.

Secret government facilities were busted open by some surface blasts that were specifically targeted on former NBC testing grounds and research facilities, to blow things open and put a bunch of questionable dust into the atmosphere.

Lots of contamination still. Even though radioactivity is way down there are still lots of people reluctant to go anywhere near directly bombed areas because of wildlife mutations and whatnot. Only whackos go into these places, for fame, fortune, what have you.

Just different characters and things happening to them in chapters focused on them, like ASoIaF but I can actually finish things (:v:).

KamikazePotato posted:

You would think that naming things gets easier as you become a more experienced writer.

It does not.

I literally am using Donjon and FantasyNameGenerator for names that are not already on a map.

Ninjedit: I am a very much "done the research" kind of guy so I'm taking realism and stretching it slightly - Russia and China seeding warheads with extra fissile material to make them dirtier, etc.

Before even writing a chapter, I'm taking that region (around Spring Lake, UT) and I've plotted out targets based on available data, along with fallout patterns and an entire Exclusion Zone based on a Chinese DF-5 attack with 3 surface detonations and 10 airburst.

I'm running it as basically a solo GURPS campaign, I guess?

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 38

quote:

“Think he’ll be back with his pa?” asked Hannah.

“No,” said Mizuki. “Alfric has successfully weaponized being boring.”
I loving loved the conversation in this chapter. TUTBAD has the kind of banter HWFWM tries and mostly fails to get.

Edit: holy poo poo Alfric and his siblings all got pulled out a literal bottle instead of their mom ever being pregnant lmao

edit2: on second thought I can't not quote this

quote:

“I have never seen this guy before,” said Mizuki. “I actually just started following him because he was carrying the wardrobe. It seemed really suspicious.” She had a mad grin on her face.

“He asked me for help movin’ it,” said Hannah. “But now it does seem a little suspect. Alfric, if that is your name, is this a theft?”

“I’ll give you a cut of the proceeds if you stop asking questions,” said Alfric.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 4, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, the ending of the most recent chapter of Outcast made me literally lol.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh, what a scamp that keira is!

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.
Complete non sequitur, but I recently got a pageview on my web serial from this thread for a post made in it roughly a million years ago, and I recalled I actually have an SA account. So I thought I would actually drop in and say hello! I used to write "The Solstice War" and am now writing something different. I used to lurk SA for years but was mostly a TTRPG poster. I've not really been a member of any communities of web novel readers or writers, except for a brief stint on Royal Road. I've just kind of been plucking away at my own things mostly by myself, but I've been wanting to make time to actually read more web serials recently and try to interact more with communities for serials.

I feel that I am also terrible at naming things but I do think Dragonbook and Postapoc Project are both charming names. I think the straightforward simplicity is kind of eye-catching.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Okay, the ending of the most recent chapter of Outcast made me literally lol.

Yeah, not sure what I expected but it certainly wasn't that. Curious to find out the reason for it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Christ that's a spicy prac guide chapter.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Newfork posted:

Complete non sequitur, but I recently got a pageview on my web serial from this thread for a post made in it roughly a million years ago, and I recalled I actually have an SA account. So I thought I would actually drop in and say hello! I used to write "The Solstice War" and am now writing something different. I used to lurk SA for years but was mostly a TTRPG poster. I've not really been a member of any communities of web novel readers or writers, except for a brief stint on Royal Road. I've just kind of been plucking away at my own things mostly by myself, but I've been wanting to make time to actually read more web serials recently and try to interact more with communities for serials.

I feel that I am also terrible at naming things but I do think Dragonbook and Postapoc Project are both charming names. I think the straightforward simplicity is kind of eye-catching.

Oh hey, I haven't seen The Solstice War in awhile. I really liked it, too bad it's on hiatus. I've only read a bit, but Unjust Depths looks pretty neat, it's on my reading list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

tithin posted:

Christ that's a spicy prac guide chapter.
drat you weren't kidding