Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Picked up the Castlevania Advance collection, very happy to revisit these two great games

Same, I already played through Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance (I beat the latter once before, but not the former)
It's just good poo poo. I can't wait to get into Aria of Sorrow, beat that back in the day too but it's probably the best IGAvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want some meaty spaghetti

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That gardener robit and his little animal friends at the end of Laputa: Castle in the Sky.... :unsmith:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i played and beat all three of those cv games in the collection for the first time recently. here is the true opinion and feel free to steal

cotm: good, not super great, fun enough, too easy to break the game once you have a few cards

hod: the dash is great until you realize it’s there to help you traverse the giant lovely terrible castle with 600 zig zag rooms, and terrible bosses, and crap and poo poo. nice tunes and its still fun to beat poo poo up

aos: movement is not so fun but the castle is great and the soul play is a nice wrinkle! great game and boy did i have a good time. 9/10

aos >>> cotm >>>>> hod

bye

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love my new apartment. Everything made the trip working which was a worry. Daughter started her new school and it's beautiful. I am working remotely from my job from Louisiana for now but I doubt that'll last. I'll have to find new work up here but I'm not worried honestly. I'm willing to do anything.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

yea ok posted:

i played and beat all three of those cv games in the collection for the first time recently. here is the true opinion and feel free to steal

cotm: good, not super great, fun enough, too easy to break the game once you have a few cards

hod: the dash is great until you realize it’s there to help you traverse the giant lovely terrible castle with 600 zig zag rooms, and terrible bosses, and crap and poo poo. nice tunes and its still fun to beat poo poo up

aos: movement is not so fun but the castle is great and the soul play is a nice wrinkle! great game and boy did i have a good time. 9/10

aos >>> cotm >>>>> hod

bye

You can also cheese the hell out of HoD once you get the right magic books and subweapons. Hearts are straight up worthless in that game once you realize the Bible plus the blue or yellow magic book just kind of let you wreck poo poo

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Shard posted:

I love my new apartment. Everything made the trip working which was a worry. Daughter started her new school and it's beautiful. I am working remotely from my job from Louisiana for now but I doubt that'll last. I'll have to find new work up here but I'm not worried honestly. I'm willing to do anything.

it's a labor market, so I'm sure you'll land on your feet!

On Halloween we randomly ran across a Persian horror movie called Under The Shadow, really enjoyed it, fun little film

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
COTM gets a bad rap IMO. The later games did the style better. It has its flaws but I still think it's enjoyable and worth going back to. It's especially nice now that we can actually see the game. It was hard to see anything on the original GBA.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Honestly this is the first time I’ve ever heard of CotM being anything but beloved

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's in that spot of being good and also everything that came after (On the GBA) did it even better

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

nice to see everyone else discovering the joys of the GBA Castlevania games

speaking of enjoyable things, who here keeps up with local television? I for one have never been bored tuning in to Local 58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5Qo84D_NA

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's in that spot of being good and also everything that came after (On the GBA) did it even better

I have no choice but to take it all personally

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SatansOnion posted:

nice to see everyone else discovering the joys of the GBA Castlevania games

speaking of enjoyable things, who here keeps up with local television? I for one have never been bored tuning in to Local 58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5Qo84D_NA

Kris Straub is the best

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

COTM gets a bad rap IMO. The later games did the style better. It has its flaws but I still think it's enjoyable and worth going back to. It's especially nice now that we can actually see the game. It was hard to see anything on the original GBA.

Yeah the flip top gba was a game changer.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Shard posted:

Kris Straub is the best

:respek: I watched everything on the channel in the wee hours of this morning and they’re all blood-chilling gems, each one. the dude has a real eye for period-appropriate details (and the restraint to not lay it on too thick)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

coconono posted:

Yeah the flip top gba was a game changer.

i wanted an afterburner mod so bad. just trying to play it in bed with a single lamp was a demonstration of contortion

today i learned that art conservators can't restore very heavily damaged paintings, (presumably) due to ethical questions about the point at which a restoration becomes a facsimile

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I got the J&J booster 8 DAYS ago and I’ve been so sick I haven’t been back to work yet, I don’t want to discourage anyone from getting it, just plan ahead maybe.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Stroker Ace posted:

I got the J&J booster 8 DAYS ago and I’ve been so sick I haven’t been back to work yet, I don’t want to discourage anyone from getting it, just plan ahead maybe.

im hopefully getting a mod (on top of pfiz) booster tomorrow and already took fri off

8 days seems... a lot

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Critical posted:

i wanted an afterburner mod so bad. just trying to play it in bed with a single lamp was a demonstration of contortion

today i learned that art conservators can't restore very heavily damaged paintings, (presumably) due to ethical questions about the point at which a restoration becomes a facsimile

Art restoration videos are some of my favorite things to watch, especially while high. It's just so calm and interesting. I always love watching when they're restoring works that have been restored before, just critiquing all the work of someone who lived 100 years ago and didn't realize staples were a stupid idea.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

graph posted:

im hopefully getting a mod (on top of pfiz) booster tomorrow and already took fri off

8 days seems... a lot

It’s definitely not normal, going to the doctor tomorrow, not sure what they can do but I’ve felt the exact same for over a week.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Stroker Ace posted:

It’s definitely not normal, going to the doctor tomorrow, not sure what they can do but I’ve felt the exact same for over a week.

good luck

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Man I was a lot worse at video games as a kid I guess, I’m screaming through CotM.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Man I was a lot worse at video games as a kid I guess, I’m screaming through CotM.
im so much worse at action games than i was as a kid and so much better at turn based strategy. body failing, brain hanging in there

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

when I was a kid I was able to beat mega man 3 in like an hour and a half or something

years ago i participated in one of the mega man race threads in LP because of course I can still do that 15 years later. I don't even think I got past the first 8 bosses before someone else finished and I was begging them to let me stop playing. i bought the anniversary collection last year an lasted a couple hours before yeeting it into the "gently caress this" portion of my steam library

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Critical posted:

when I was a kid I was able to beat mega man 3 in like an hour and a half or something

i was megaman king bitd

i remember getting megaman 9 for wii console and being unable to beat anything but one stage and one boss. pathetic

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I sucked at games as a kid. Thank goodness for the game genie

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’m the video game genie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wish you would shut the hell up!!!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shard posted:

I sucked at games as a kid. Thank goodness for the game genie

One of my favorite dumb facts about video games is that Nintendo tried to see the company that made the Game Genie because they felt modifying an existing game was basically like piracy

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of my favorite dumb facts about video games is that Nintendo tried to see the company that made the Game Genie because they felt modifying an existing game was basically like piracy

I'm glad that they lost that suit so I could use cheat codes as much as I was glad Hollywood lost its lawsuit against video stores because between 5 and 25 I was renting things every week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In high school I was renting poo poo so much that I had a gold Blockbuster card, which let me rent more poo poo.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

lol i was exposed to covid at the office on monday lmao

cant even get tested until tomorrow since I'm asymptomatic

hr pulled me into an office so I thought they were shitcanning me. went from NOOO to ok whew to NOOOOOOOOOOOOO within the space of three seconds

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Critical posted:

lol i was exposed to covid at the office on monday lmao

cant even get tested until tomorrow since I'm asymptomatic

hr pulled me into an office so I thought they were shitcanning me. went from NOOO to ok whew to NOOOOOOOOOOOOO within the space of three seconds

drat i lold but also that sucks, hope you are ok

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

drat i lold but also that sucks, hope you are ok

thank you my posting bud. have a slight tension headache but otherwise fine. i'm getting revenge by just keeping my eye on email and teams and playing games all afternoon

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Has anyone okayed Crosscode? probably best 20 bucks i’ve ever spent on a game. it’s a pseudo MMO with a cool story and fun combat and enemy designs. I’ve put 10 hours in just on sidequests and grinding to the jamming music.

Good game

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've only heard great stuff about it, it's in my backlog.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

Has anyone okayed Crosscode? probably best 20 bucks i’ve ever spent on a game. it’s a pseudo MMO with a cool story and fun combat and enemy designs. I’ve put 10 hours in just on sidequests and grinding to the jamming music.

Good game

i really liked it for about 3 hours then decided i didnt wanna play 20 more hrs of it. best of luck.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i almost picked up crosscode last night, got orwell instead for like 2 bucks and it's loving awesome

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

yea ok posted:

i really liked it for about 3 hours then decided i didnt wanna play 20 more hrs of it. best of luck.

I could see this happening to me but the story has enough mystery that I’ll likely push through. Def not recommended if you dislike fetch quests, and poo poo which idk why i do like them but they are relaxing to me.

I also loved being a forklift man in the GOAT game Shenmue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If there are any mobile game recs, I’d love it