Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pitch Meeting does CinemaSins better than the original if you like that sort of shot-fire critique. It does make the same joke every episode but it's self aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i mean, all that needs to be said about cinema sins is in this video which hasn't been posted to this page yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEAsGoP-5I

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

pentyne posted:

This video kind of explains all the problem with Cinemasins, at least as of 2 years ago. I doubt they've changed.

I like the comment that calls it Schrodinger's joke, where if you disagree then it's humor, but if you agree then its critical review.

Everyone has failed to read posts on here lmao.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 4, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pentyne posted:

This video kind of explains all the problem with Cinemasins, at least as of 2 years ago. I doubt they've changed.

I like the comment that calls it Schrodinger's joke, where if you disagree then it's humor, but if you agree then its critical review.

Yes, that's the bobvids video that everyone's been talking about since we started flogging CinemaSins for being lazy but less evil than Nostalgia Critic in how much damage they've done to people's lives.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Down with Cinema Sins

Up with Sinema Cins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0rLslL564

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

The best thing CS did was inspire CinemaWins which is only occasionally fun.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I was going to find some way to work the complete list of shipping names Bulbapedia used to compile on the wiki into a joke, but now I can't find the list so please call your friend's brother a coward and a fiend because now I'll never be able to double check what the relationship between Gary and his Left Hand was called.

I would but he's a professor at Oxford now or something like that so he probably won't listen to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gwen posted:

The best thing CS did was inspire CinemaWins which is only occasionally fun.

A channel that makes it their mission to be relentlessly positive and always try to find things to enjoy in the films they watch is far more preferable and worthy of respect than a couple of smug, tedious tossers that resort to fabrication to try to prove some imaginary point and default to some half-assed, half-understood excuse of "its' satire" like a pair of children when challenged.

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021

edogawa rando posted:

A channel that makes it their mission to be relentlessly positive and always try to find things to enjoy in the films they watch is far more preferable and worthy of respect than a couple of smug, tedious tossers that resort to fabrication to try to prove some imaginary point and default to some half-assed, half-understood excuse of "its' satire" like a pair of children when challenged.

:emptyquote:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Zedd posted:

Pitch Meeting does CinemaSins better than the original if you like that sort of shot-fire critique. It does make the same joke every episode but it's self aware.

His Wonder Woman 1984 is, by far, the best one.

"She could have turned into a killer whale, but that would have made for a less interesting scene."
"Oh I wholeheartedly disagree!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tm0SxIp6w

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That reminds me of a good video I saw about Cinemasins

https://youtu.be/ELEAsGoP-5I

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cinemasins but they're chocolate covered raisins you get at the movie theatre concessions counter

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had no idea people took cinema sins as actual critique. I thought it was just a comedy video series where the “joke” is that they nitpick everything to death.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As far back as the early Nostalgia Critic days there would be people who would form opinions on movies based on what a reviewer said about it and why it sucks, without seeing it themselves. But usually those people reviewed older movies that had a bit of a “I liked that as a kid?” type deal, and eventually things moved to recent releases, and there’s a group of people who use those reviews as a substitute for seeing the movie themselves.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

bobjr posted:

As far back as the early Nostalgia Critic days there would be people who would form opinions on movies based on what a reviewer said about it and why it sucks, without seeing it themselves. But usually those people reviewed older movies that had a bit of a “I liked that as a kid?” type deal, and eventually things moved to recent releases, and there’s a group of people who use those reviews as a substitute for seeing the movie themselves.

It was also a problem you'd see crop up a lot in the early days of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews, which was especially ironic given he had a pretty clear "Form your own goddamned opinion on this stuff" message in his early videos. It's part of a larger problem in the way mass market audiences tend to view critics and criticism - That there is a singular "correct" opinion on media and thus if a critic they like dislikes something they have not seen, that thing must be bad, whereas if that same critic dislikes something they have already seen and liked, that critic must be incorrect or uninformed.

Looking back, the audience reaction to Zero Punctuation specifically is kind of indicative of both the state of video game criticism at the time (Yahtzee pretty quickly gained a reputation as being "That critic who hates every video game" as his schtick, mostly for the fact that he was one of the few reviewers at the time who wasn't afraid to say he didn't like a triple A title.) and the skewed view of criticism the gaming community would go on to develop...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I used to watch zero punctuation and I recall psychonauts was the only game at the time he gave a positive review. People actually got mad at him for that

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
It's time to have a national conversation about criticism

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Police_monitoring posted:

It's time to have a national conversation about criticism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Fvsgv0bYw

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

It was also a problem you'd see crop up a lot in the early days of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews, which was especially ironic given he had a pretty clear "Form your own goddamned opinion on this stuff" message in his early videos. It's part of a larger problem in the way mass market audiences tend to view critics and criticism - That there is a singular "correct" opinion on media and thus if a critic they like dislikes something they have not seen, that thing must be bad, whereas if that same critic dislikes something they have already seen and liked, that critic must be incorrect or uninformed.

Looking back, the audience reaction to Zero Punctuation specifically is kind of indicative of both the state of video game criticism at the time (Yahtzee pretty quickly gained a reputation as being "That critic who hates every video game" as his schtick, mostly for the fact that he was one of the few reviewers at the time who wasn't afraid to say he didn't like a triple A title.) and the skewed view of criticism the gaming community would go on to develop...

I remember Yahtzee was gonna post it on Something Awful but Lowtax refused to pay him claiming the site made no money.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, until quite recently pop culture media criticism wasn't really a thing. The "established arts" had well-read critics that just refused to engage with ~puerile media~ unless they could trash the gently caress out of it, and stuff like videogames and comic books had a lot of insecure nerds with little to no analysis skills trying to defend their favorite things and justify their purchases. I think Yahtzee and all that generation of angry reviewers were people testing the waters on maybe not being full-on fanboys and acknowledging flaws in stuff they might've even liked.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I really wouldn't say yahtzee of all people was breaking boundaries into daring to criticize AAA games considering how many of his videos were dunking on shovelware, niche games at the time like Demon's Souls, or riding goofy gaming zeitgeist trends like "MP-focused games are scams".

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I used to watch zero punctuation and I recall psychonauts was the only game at the time he gave a positive review. People actually got mad at him for that

He was pretty over the moon for Portal, too.

I used to rely on his rare positive reviews to tell me about interesting games like Bastion, Papers Please, Spec Ops: The Line, Undertale and Return of the Obra Dinn, all of which I bought and played because of him. Thankfully, I didn't do the same with Bioshock: Infinite.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
His "retro" review of Painkiller was what made me realise that I was just watching him for cleverly phrased insults. I also liked the game and without the vitriol it just wasn't interesting to hear him talk about it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I liked his CoD reviews because he hates their politics as much as I do and it's cathartic.

Also yes, the insults.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't usually find content worth posting in here, so have a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJK4T-SBRA

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was really sad to learn that she's a massive TERF. I was enjoying her stuff until then.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I was really sad to learn that she's a massive TERF. I was enjoying her stuff until then.

Wait who is terf?

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
The armor lady

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Well gently caress, and I googled her and searched this thread before I posted that video too just to be safe. Ah hell. I didn't search thoroughly enough for it!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i would've known not to watch or post that video, because of the loving thumbnail

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
She kept it pretty quiet since having a big public falling out with Lindsay Ellis over it, which I somehow totally didn't notice. She's deleted all the blogs etc, so at least she realised that she wasn't winning herself fans with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I hate the feeling when you've enjoyed a creative YouTuber for a while and then you find out some horrible poo poo about them and have to force your hand over to that unsubscribe button. Like ripping off a band-aid.
From what I can remember, the accounts I've dropped were:

ProJared, gamer (gross sending underage girls his dick pics stuff)
Pogo, musician (turns out he's an alt-right MAGA chud)
Barnaby Dixon, puppeteer (he platformed a terf in an interview, then tried to avoid saying anything about it until people realized he just seems to agree with those views)
Gus Johnson, sketch comedian (turns out he treated his girlfriend like poo poo when she had horrible medical issues)
Erick Landon, gamer (called the current lgbt+ community a plague and then gave a non-apology)

EDIT: Also, I never really enjoyed the original Game Grumps, but after finding out how racist JonTron was, I've had to constantly curate my YT recommendations to avoid him.
How did that loving FlexTape video blow up so much AFTER everyone knew he was a terrible racist? More recently it was revealed that he's an antivaxxer, too. And people were shocked?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 4, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I liked his CoD reviews because he hates their politics as much as I do and it's cathartic.

Also yes, the insults.

In all my years I've never forgotten his political interpretation of Super Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqRK_4H63rw&t=101s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JazzFlight posted:

How did that loving FlexTape video blow up so much AFTER everyone knew he was a terrible racist?

Because people who are outed as sexpests or racists or whatever do not actually get "cancelled" like they cry about. They just swap one audience for another. Plenty of people who think JonTron is "based" for being a walking /pol/ caricature.

I'd also imagine that there are a lot of people who just don't really pay that much attention to youtube drama, saw a JonTron video pop up in their feed, and thought it was funny without any context of his politics.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's hard finding channels nowadays that are sane. Was watching this very eager to learn but kind of naive dude react to various things for a while and then they went antivaxxer out of nowhere. Can't even count on being open minded people wrt culture and LGBT rights any more as a baseline gauge.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I am not very online but have been watching more youtube than usual lately and finally ended up on some projared videos that were entertaining to watch while I'm on my stationary bike. I decided to google him for more info and :wtc:. Is there anyone who has yet to be revealed to be a creepy weirdo that is in a similar lane with content on old JRPGs?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
meh, i was watching the armor lady videos yesterday because they were fun, oh well, shouldve known something was up she is into medieval poo poo and is british

Zedd posted:

It's hard finding channels nowadays that are sane. Was watching this very eager to learn but kind of naive dude react to various things for a while and then they went antivaxxer out of nowhere. Can't even count on being open minded people wrt culture and LGBT rights any more as a baseline gauge.

I wouldn't worry much about curating your media consumption because at the end of the day you only see like 0.1% of someone's life through what they produce, you just drop stuff when you notice or discover someone is poo poo enough that you don't wanna watch their stuff anymore. Life's less stressful when you give people the benefit of the doubt instead of being terrified of the Twitter panopticon catching you watching problematic content.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've kind of come to accept that every time I watch a Youtube video by a person I'm not familiar with I'm going to have a creeping sense of low key dread in the background: I'm generally really slow to hit the subscribe button for fear a creator's going to turn out to be a garbage-person. Like, I've been watching a bunch of unsolved/creepy mystery videos lately from a few creators, and I'm just dreading the idea that they're going to turn out to be anti-vaxxers or something.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I pretty much google their user name and the word politics or Trump and scroll through their list of other videos to scope out if they’re secret MAGA chuds before I hit subscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Yeah even people I like I feel a lil u easy with like mandalore for that sseth idiot showing up all the time, I remember him from the league days when he just made loads of real fuckin racist lovely meme videos people loved