Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

shitstopher holeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

shitstopher holeman.

Tetanus.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I mostly liked it. I felt like it was exactly what I was expecting for a Christopher Nolan movie about time travel.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

everyone hates christopher nolan now but the prestige is one of my favorite movies and i don't care who knows it. i still haven't seen tenet, saving it for a rainy day.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
people who hate nolan are overreacting. He has made some very good films compared to 99% of the poo poo that releases nowadays

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

people who hate nolan are overreacting. He has made some very good films compared to 99% of the poo poo that releases nowadays

absolutely

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I mostly liked it. I felt like it was exactly what I was expecting for a Christopher Nolan movie about time travel.

don't care for nolan much but tenet is a fun watch.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ahh I don't care for the guy who actually knows how to make a film lol... Oh eternals was good FYI

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress off Peckerwood

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

close the games ps5 thread or stfu

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

folk horror week at the arthouse theater, tonight is Marketa Lazarová (1967) a czech movie about nuns or something. should be epic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

elf help book posted:

it's out of my hands :kiss:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can’t even think what he did to get hated, movie-wise. I’m afraid to google to because I’m 99% sure it’s something like a blue check made a 34 tweet thread about how he threw a bagel at the joker 15 years ago.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

interstellar s the only one i can think of that straight up sucked, the resto f his movies at least have something cool abdout them and the prestige and memento are real good. haven't seen tenet or dunkirk though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i dont hate him but i think hes been coasting hardcore since the batmen movies and he really fuckin needs a good editor or producer or something. someone to say no to him when they need to

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can’t even think what he did to get hated, movie-wise. I’m afraid to google to because I’m 99% sure it’s something like a blue check made a 34 tweet thread about how he threw a bagel at the joker 15 years ago.

somewhere between inception and dark knight rises there was a backlash against his style because it had bled everywhere by then

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
you can't blame someone for having a style everyone tries to copy, there was a moment people tried to do the same for Wes Anderson, and again, failed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fungah! posted:

interstellar s the only one i can think of that straight up sucked, the resto f his movies at least have something cool abdout them and the prestige and memento are real good. haven't seen tenet or dunkirk though

memento still holds up. it's a pretty quiet film all told, not a whole lot of bombast and the cast have chemistry

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

elf help book posted:

This

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nolan kind of just makes the same film over and over again but people who call him an outright bad filmmaker are dumb. I used to think he took himself way too ponderously and seriously but now that everything has to be a snarky Marvel quipfest I believe he was right all along

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I forgot Nolan did memento. That movie kicks rear end.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nolan kind of just makes the same film over and over again but people who call him an outright bad filmmaker are dumb. I used to think he took himself way too ponderously and seriously but now that everything has to be a snarky Marvel quipfest I believe he was right all along

yeah this is fair. he does allow for some pretty wild poo poo like mounting imax cameras on planes and inventing new rigging contraptions. he's very driven

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Haven’t watched a Nolan since inception but the prestige kicks rear end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i should watch it again, it's been a while. cool movie imo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

b_d posted:

shitstopher holeman.

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

folk horror week at the arthouse theater, tonight is Marketa Lazarová (1967) a czech movie about nuns or something. should be epic

that movies cool. i've only seen it once on a kind of crappy dvd rip before criterion put out the bluray tho ;-(

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

This. He makes good movies but i find his characters lack something most of the time. Like in inception the main characters conflict is really good and he does an alright job but everyone is kind of robotic. I liked dunkirk it was a fun movie and the resolution of the stupid dipshit kid who rides the boats with his grandpa arc made me lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Anyway rewatched Tangerines aka Mandariinid which is a georgian estonian film about the georgian occupation or whatever seen from the eyes of a tangerine farmer. Recommended

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i dint like inception and i hated interstellar. memento was cool though. peace

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’ll probably remember seeing inception in the theatre forever because of the way the audience audibly gasped at the cut to black when the top wobbled at the end.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Anyway rewatched Tangerines aka Mandariinid which is a georgian estonian film about the georgian occupation or whatever seen from the eyes of a tangerine farmer. Recommended

i highly recommend unrelated film Manderlay

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hip3pz0Xs cool video that goes a little into soviet era animation

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dongicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hip3pz0Xs cool video that goes a little into soviet era animation

drat this rules. reminds me of a doc i watched a while ago about richard williams trying to finish the thief and the cobbler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv33FDnRkn0

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Realized the local theater uses scenes from this in their intro video and I never knew what it was. Looks sick

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whats a good semi recent humans exploring space movie im on an outer space vibe rn

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

First Man is my favorite recent space film but most of it doesn't take place in space.

Aniara was pretty interesting. Ad Astra was kind of a mess but really nice to look at.

Umm, what else, Sunshine, The Martian, Interstellar, Gravity, Moon, Apollo 11, High Life?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's kind of low budget but Europa Report is good

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

STONE COLD 64 posted:

whats a good semi recent humans exploring space movie im on an outer space vibe rn

the documentary For All Mankind (1989) is epic. streaming on criterion and hbo max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Not sure if it counts as "exploring space," but the recent Apollo 11 documentary (just called Apollo 11) that's pretty much all previously unreleased archival footage is very good; there's very little exposition, so it's really immersive. It was amazing on the big screen but I imagine it's still good for home viewing.