Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Welcome back! I haven't read it, but I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Narmi posted:

Oh hey, I haven't seen The Solstice War in awhile. I really liked it, too bad it's on hiatus. I've only read a bit, but Unjust Depths looks pretty neat, it's on my reading list too.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it! I'm always delightfully surprised to see that anyone knows about it.

"The Solstice War" ended up with a combo of being way too ambitious in scale, but also really restrictive in what I felt I could do with it without alienating readers, so I ended up losing a lot of steam on it by the end. I went into it like "people just don't write about war at this level of detail often enough!" and ended up realizing why that was and that it was going to be a big ask for me to do so. I also got a really demanding day job so I couldn't keep churning out the like 15k-20k word chapters that people had come to expect in the time they had come to expect it. So I wanted a fresh start; thankfully most people who like, commented on my stuff were supportive.

"Unjust Depths" is both a bit more restrained in scale but also has way more room for all the off-beat indulgences I've been wanting to write about for the better part of a decade.

If there's any advice I would give from my past experience is to become fastidious about outlining if you want to write really intense multi-POV war poo poo with like 15 lesbian romances like I do.

Having a readable outline for "Unjust Depths" is really what makes it possible for me to write as much as I do while having 80% less time to write than I used to.

Newfork fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Hey, what is this an acronym for?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Thunderfinger posted:

This Used To Be About Dungeons.
By the Worth the Candle guy.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Sax Battler posted:

This Used To Be About Dungeons.
By the Worth the Candle guy.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/45534/this-used-to-be-about-dungeons

Thunderfinger posted:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Found another villainess isekai; it's not nearly as well-written as Agenda, but it hits a lot of the traditional otome reincarnation beats, if anyone else is into that

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47030/tori-transmigrated

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Katalepsis continues to be the best web serial I have read and one where I'm more than happy to pay for an advance chapter.

Arc's over, can't wait for the next.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Argue posted:

Found another villainess isekai; it's not nearly as well-written as Agenda, but it hits a lot of the traditional otome reincarnation beats, if anyone else is into that

I'll second this recommendation, I've been reading this one as well and its pretty decent so far

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Katalepsis continues to be the best web serial I have read and one where I'm more than happy to pay for an advance chapter.

Arc's over, can't wait for the next.

Hey, thank you! Glad to hear you liked this one, and thanks very much for the support. I went pretty hard on the end of this arc. Longest single chapter so far, and uh, themes, you know?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Not that I have anywhere to host it yet, but I'm 1,500 words into my first post! :neckbeard: It feels really good to be writing something above-board for a change instead of...what I used to write :v:

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Not that I have anywhere to host it yet, but I'm 1,500 words into my first post! :neckbeard: It feels really good to be writing something above-board for a change instead of...what I used to write :v:

Congratulations! The beginning of a project is always so exciting and full of possibility. I'm always happy to see more people taking up writing stories.

I started reading Katalepsis on the recommendation of the original post and I'm really enjoying it. Great knack for dialog, super moody and surreal atmosphere, and I'm glad I'm not the only one writing casts that are 99.99% women :allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Argue posted:

The interesting different thing it's doing is that the reincarnator is facing a lot more adversity than is usual for the genre. Usually these stories are more of "I reincarnated as the villainess but then started being a decent person and that derailed everything" and it's nice to see one which isn't doing that.

Hungry posted:

Hey, thank you! Glad to hear you liked this one, and thanks very much for the support. I went pretty hard on the end of this arc. Longest single chapter so far, and uh, themes, you know?

It was a very good chapter and I'm glad you didn't try to split it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Plorkyeran posted:

The interesting different thing it's doing is that the reincarnator is facing a lot more adversity than is usual for the genre. Usually these stories are more of "I reincarnated as the villainess but then started being a decent person and that derailed everything" and it's nice to see one which isn't doing that.

I actually like that, and Agenda of the Villainess seems to be doing the same thing (the implication is that the marriage was anulled at least partially for political reasons that had nothing to do with the MC). The Villainess genre is kind of interesting since the original, or at least most well known, example was a parody where it's blatantly obvious the MC isn't in danger, and therefor it's left to some of the imitations to actually try playing it straight.

Which is nice in my book. I liked My Next Life as a Villainess fine but it was really just the one joke, and I think it's interesting to see more serious takes on it.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 7, 2021

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Bremen posted:

I actually like that, and Agenda of the Villainess seems to be doing the same thing (the implication is that the marriage was anulled at least partially for political reasons that had nothing to do with the MC). The Villainess genre is kind of interesting since the original, or at least most well known example, was a parody where it's blatantly obvious the MC isn't in danger, and therefor it's left to some of the imitations to actually try playing it straight.

Which is nice in my book. I liked My Next Life as a Villainess fine but it was really just the one joke, and I think it's interesting to see more serious takes on it.

From what I've heard, the whole villainess genre originates from the webnovel Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu ("I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto") which only has a fan translation which I've read some of. Interestingly, said original work has no fantasy elements aside from the reincarnation itself but rather is set in a fancy private school in modern times. It does have the MC unknowingly subverting her inevitable doom by being a giant weirdo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope I can hit the point where I have at least one new chapter to read each day. Not quite there yet, but adding a couple new things to the list of things I follow is helping (Outcast and Nine-to-five Villainy).

Kaja Rainbow posted:

From what I've heard, the whole villainess genre originates from the webnovel Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu ("I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto") which only has a fan translation which I've read some of. Interestingly, said original work has no fantasy elements aside from the reincarnation itself but rather is set in a fancy private school in modern times. It does have the MC unknowingly subverting her inevitable doom by being a giant weirdo.

Does it actually originate from that? I know that's a very popular one (though one in a modern setting), but I'm not sure about it being the first.

It's also a bit atypical in that, IIRC, the protagonist is in the world of a shoujo manga, as opposed to a otome game (which is the most common setting). It's good and funny though, so people should read it. It's more of a slow-paced comedy than most series sharing a similar premise.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I was also under the impression that Kenkyo Kenjitsu is what sparked the trend, although it does have very little in common with how the genre evolved since then.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I'm guessing most of the authors have like...several posts queued up for release? I plan on not actually making the site live until I have probably a couple weeks' worth of posts (thinking at least once weekly, maybe twice for the first month to get the story moving?) scheduled. Does this sound about normal?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

D34THROW posted:

I'm guessing most of the authors have like...several posts queued up for release? I plan on not actually making the site live until I have probably a couple weeks' worth of posts (thinking at least once weekly, maybe twice for the first month to get the story moving?) scheduled. Does this sound about normal?

Sometimes. Sometimes the rule is :justpost:

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Having a buffer owns. I think pretty much anyone would tell you the same, build a buffer up, as much as you can before you get impatient and start hitting post.

I [try to] write weekly chapters, and when I started Unjust Depths, I had an decent buffer of unpublished stuff for it, and then various misfortunes transpired and I was able to Keep Posting, but burned through all my backlog.

It was really nice not to have to take a bunch of weeks worth of No Writing Breaks right at the start to take care of myself.

Once you burn your backlog once, though, you might not get another chance to refill it unless you take a big break (which everyone deserves, but readers obviously don't like).

So yes, have the biggest buffer you can possibly have. I can't overstate how helpful it is if you want to keep a regular schedule.

My audience is extremely tiny and decently understanding, so I'm currently on a break (again) due to ongoing health issues and nobody's been mad. I really wish I had something to publish though :sweatdrop:

I think it's also more important to be regular at the start, once you have people hooked, they'll probably excuse some irregularity. If they see you as a human being with needs.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

When I started out I built a buffer of 6-8 chapters, but insomnia issues ate most of that during a particularly bad patch. I've been writing week-to-week for well over a year now and only had to take a break one week for health issues, though I am currently working on building up to being at least one extra chapter ahead. So yeah, it varies.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah you kinda have to figure out what works for you, and also what you want to get out of the project! If you're just in it for the love of the game, then who cares! Just post, have fun, etc. If you want to keep a regular schedule and you're really strict with yourself about keeping it, you'll want a buffer of some kind. If your health is an absolute disaster like mine, etc etc. Buffers are a common piece of advice, but ultimately you find what works for you based on what you want to do with your project.

Another common piece of advice is that if you want to "be popular" then posting a lot, and posting very regularly, is very helpful for that. Having a buffer helps more the more intense your schedule is.

My wife used to read translations of a chinese web novel that updated daily. By the end of the serialization, the author was going insane on the page. Don't do that to yourself but: if you want to, it helps to have a buffer.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Buffers also help if you want to monetize it through patreon at some point since you can just toss them up early for patrons without having to do extra work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Newfork posted:

My wife used to read translations of a chinese web novel that updated daily. By the end of the serialization, the author was going insane on the page. Don't do that to yourself but: if you want to, it helps to have a buffer.

What a pussy.

The norm for Chinese webnovels is *twice a day*.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

What a pussy.

:negative:

(I don't know literally anything about writing in Chinese, so maybe this is just much more doable on wordcount if you write briskly. I would be curious if anyone here knows more about that! It's quite fascinating.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Newfork posted:

:negative:

(I don't know literally anything about writing in Chinese, so maybe this is just much more doable on wordcount if you write briskly. I would be curious if anyone here knows more about that! It's quite fascinating.)

No, they just rely on padding the chapters with description, recycling story beats and sheer animal desperation.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Megazver posted:

Lol, that is insane.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Chinese web novel chapters can be very short compared to western web serials.

There was one I read which had TWI length chapters but I can't recall which one. Most of the others are fairly short.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 8, 2021

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Isn't a big part of it a different monetization strategy? Their infrastructure is based around purchase of chapters and here it is based on patronization, whether directly or though Patreon.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Kalas posted:

Chinese web novel chapters can be very short compared to western web serials.

There was one I read which had TWI length chapters but I can't recall which one. Most of the others are fairly short.

Yeah, frequency of chapters is sort of a meaningless measure. If you write 100 word chapters then banging out several a day is not much of an accomplishment.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
My one story I started with 40 chapters and posted 3 a week-it’s been on rising stars and consistently gets great reviews. I write about 4-7 chapters a week for it.

The other one? The spin off, I write about 200-300 word chapters each day but I finally hit the midpoint… that’s a lot more manageable but it’s every drat day, and I didn’t do a buffer. I heartily recommend a big old buffer, because after nanowrimo and this trash novel challenge… I’m just going back to one novel at a time.

That and kids woof. It’s hard to write when you’re slammed at work and at home.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
300 word chapters? Isn't that equivalent to, like, a single page of text in a paperback? Sounds super tiny to me.

I hear ya about kids/work though.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

When my brain and body are working and it's not been too busy at the day job I shoot for around 6-8k a week and that's the usual length of my chapters.

It's something I've found I can juggle while letting myself have other pursuits in life. (And no buffer to fall back on.)

I have struggled with like, trying to do like 3k twice a week and things like that. I've been writing longer chapters for so long I feel like I don't know how to pace it when they're shorter in a way that's satisfying.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I started TFTBN with a backlog of about 8 chapters and the intention of posting twice a week. A month and a half later, I had a backlog of 0 chapters.

I'm good at planning in advance, but I just can't seem to make myself do the nitty-gritty of grinding out chapters unless I'm being strangled by a deadline. It's frustrating.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Yeah, frequency of chapters is sort of a meaningless measure. If you write 100 word chapters then banging out several a day is not much of an accomplishment.

About 1000-1500 words per chapter is the standard for Chinese stuff. I've rarely seen an author deviate from this.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Cicero posted:

300 word chapters? Isn't that equivalent to, like, a single page of text in a paperback? Sounds super tiny to me.

I hear ya about kids/work though.

Yeah. I’ve divided the chapters up into tiny parts but that’s part of the current challenge.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Boy, isn't this just fantastic. I'm wrapping up chapter 2 and, because I'm doing a LitRPG type thing, my two main characters at the moment are at less than 50% health because a sci-fi goblin dog thing attacked them, and one of them is useless because he's having an allergic reaction to the dog's spit or something.

I'm gonna have to deus-ex-machina a passing surgeon in or something.

I loving love it :neckbeard:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You should do it just like that, "Oh hey I'm a surgeon you seem to be in trouble boop there you go all fixed goodbye now"

Make it a recurring theme for added hillarity and confusion.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Phoneposting so no clip, but I'm imagining the hotdog seller who follows Homer around.

"He's putting my kids through college!"

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Any isekai thing where the normal earthling ends up in a high technology cyperpunk world instead of a fantasy trope world, and can't get by with their outsider knowledge of "I come from a world with 8 billion humans and nuclear weapons and here is the knowledge of gunpowder" and instead uses knowledge of things like nature or ethics or whatever to break the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I don't know but I wanna read it.