Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Oh, Wheel Takes take: I'm phone posting, else I'd actually gather quotes from when we talked about this last:

Ali starts at "Mat, you loving dumbass."
Then, "Mat, the dumbass, is actually right when he says he's the only sane one left."
Then, "Oh great, now Mat's being rewarded for his stupid choices."

But then in TSR, it goes from "Goddamnit Mat, you get three questions, three. (It's kind of a bit that I hate Mat at this point but I'm sticking with it.)" to, by the end, "Oh. Oh no. I am Mat. Mat is me."

Like, figuring out details for the Battle of Emond's Field, wanting to be sure she understood it clearly and from all sides:

Gus: "Is it because you 'find battles interesting'? Because you're Mat?"
Ali: "goddamn it."

And, as Rand shows his dragons alongside Couladin, Mat is just repeatedly making "we should get outta here" gestures, pointing at Rand's empty saddle, etc. Ali: "This is me. Something sketch going on? Just leave, get out of there. Always know your exits."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh 13 loving days left!!!!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

not going to a theater screening? Here’s ur chair \_

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you're mad about the potential veil issues you should be mad at the cadin'sor colors being wrong for the time too :colbert:

they wore lighter colors to blend into the snow and rock!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Go outside and interact with people? Nice try officer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

they wore lighter colors to blend into the snow and rock!

They didn't start doing this until after they returned to the wetlands following Rand!

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 6, 2021

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Weren't they hunting Laman for like 2 years?
Maybe they thought of it then, too.

Or maybe it's a different tune of the Wheel and showing your superwarriors who can disappear into the terrain in desert colors in the snow would make the look dumb.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Or it's the middle of a heated battle and it got yanked away at a dramatic moment. Not really something worth a million words.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gwaihir posted:

Or it's the middle of a heated battle and it got yanked away at a dramatic moment. Not really something worth a million words.

That's what I figured it was. It didn't come up during the books but at least one persons veil had to have fallen off at some point during a battle and it's not like you can stop right then. Maybe it'll be someone realizing he's fighting a woman, and she's protecting the baby she just gave birth to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There has never been a movie, show, book, or other story with a dramatic unveiling of someone’s face in battle that dramatically changes what a participant thinks, though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Democratic Pirate posted:

There has never been a movie, show, book, or other story with a dramatic unveiling of someone’s face in battle that dramatically changes what a participant thinks, though.

Of course not, that would be just insane! Who would do such a thing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that it's understandable to come up with a reason to show an actor's face when they are portraying an important character in an important scene.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that it's understandable to come up with a reason to show an actor's face when they are portraying an important character in an important scene.

cf. Marvel constantly finding excuses for Iron Man/Spidey/Cap to lose the mask

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/AlbrightWrites/status/1457093213278203906?s=20

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Counterpoint Darth Vader is one of the biggest movie characters of all time and wore a helmet 99% of the time actors these days are just divas :c00lbutt:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i guess i just don't assume one character in a flashback means they've completely abandoned the idea -- basically all major aiel characters will be unveiled like 95% of the time just following the books as-written, so it seems pretty easy to include the cultural practice without interfering most of the time

also veils will make switching in stunt doubles even easier when it is convenient, like masks do in superhero shows

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

This is adult film actor erasure, and I will not stand for it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
idk veiling to kill is a nicely dramatic thing to have them do on screen.

or a source of physical comedy if there's a situation where they are confused and have to keep veiling and unveiling, with extra loud foley

Brolander fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 7, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Brolander posted:

idk veiling to kill is a nicely dramatic thing to have them do on screen.

or a source of physical comedy if there's a situation where they are confused and have to keep veiling and unveiling, with extra loud foley

Narratively, having a visual signifier that poo poo is about to go down is extremely valuable. Just imagine a scene where you know everyone is nervous because the Aiel keep putting their hands to their veils, or there's a sound and they all veil in unison, or there's an argument and one of them stares in fury before starting to veil. It's a great way to show "I'm about to kill" without having to say it, and I think it would be foolish to throw that away.

I even think they can keep to that 30% rule in most cases, because for all their violence the Aiel on screen spent most of their time talking.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guys I'm sure the Aiel veil will be a thing

This is probably this poor girls first onscreen role and yall want her to cover her face because muh canon :shepface:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i think it's more that they are putting a spear inside of another person's body in the frame that is extra jarring. it's like we are all aiel now and are offended

Brolander fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 7, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hexel posted:

Guys I'm sure the Aiel veil will be a thing

This is probably this poor girls first onscreen role and yall want her to cover her face because muh canon :shepface:

Look at this guy who doesn't even care about ji'e'toh. Shameful.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yo I was at the bookstore and I see that they're re-printed the Big Book of Bad Art.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Yo I was at the bookstore and I see that they're re-printed the Big Book of Bad Art.

lol

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

lmao incredible

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mad Hamish posted:

Awesome! I have a collection of the Tor paperbacks, but those are my only Wheel of Time books. I should look at getting the BBoBA and Glossary for my shelf.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pleads posted:

Counterpoint Darth Vader is one of the biggest movie characters of all time and wore a helmet 99% of the time actors these days are just divas :c00lbutt:

Counterpoint: The darth vader actor under the helmet made less than the guy doing voiceover.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Counterpoint: The darth vader actor under the helmet made less than the guy doing voiceover.

And only Star Wars nerds can name/recognize him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Killer robot posted:

And only Star Wars nerds can name/recognize him.

Yeah like, the veils were 100% going to get changed.

Nobody is doing a non-lead part in a goofy genre fantasy series and not having their face be shown to get future work.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jaxyon posted:

But he didn't compromise the integrity of the fanciful space opera :c00lbutt:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pleads posted:

But he didn't compromise the integrity of the fanciful space opera :c00lbutt:

this angle isn't working for you

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I included coolbutt because I am 100% sincere in my beliefs

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah like, the veils were 100% going to get changed.

Nobody is doing a non-lead part in a goofy genre fantasy series and not having their face be shown to get future work.

I mean somebody would surely do it but it was probably much more of a hassle than it’s worth. Which is going to be most of the big changes cause the books are very detailed and it would cost Bezos like 1% of his wealth to fully fund something crazy like that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
you're the spitting image of a non-veiled aiel!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Karl Urban gave a great performance as Judge Dredd without taking the helmet off for the entire movie

But really its probably the stunt people doing the fighting, not the actors. Seems like it would be easier to have them veiled up. And then you have the fun of someone putting the veil on or off depending on how nervous they are. It would be like a less tense version of Frank Booth putting on the gas mask and screaming, don't you loving look at me

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m really appreciating Gus’ commitment to doing voices on wheel takes. The try hard pouty sexy baby voice for Selene is just perfect.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Goofballs posted:

Karl Urban gave a great performance as Judge Dredd without taking the helmet off for the entire movie

See also: all the various attempts at live-action renditions of The Tick, which never quite work

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How dare you, the Amazon Tick show was really good.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

See also: all the various attempts at live-action renditions of The Tick, which never quite work

Never watched any of that but a quick google gives me a guy in a blue full body muscle suit. I feel like they weren't trying to hit this is real person in the circumstances there were born into.

Dredd is a fascist applying the 'law' to an underclass he considers beneath contempt and both the judges and the underclass came about due to a collapse of the environment and then a failure of the economy to integrate regular people. His costume makes sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah what I was getting at was that the comic original Tick has a super cartoony near-full-face mask with giant eyes that morph to convey expression, and live action can’t do a lot with that. Both the Serafinowicz and Warburton Ticks tried to leverage the actors’ faces as much as possible by showing lots of skin, but it was inevitably a pretty poor facsimile.

Not sure if we’re making the same point even, I just mean emoting under a mask is hard, and so is trying to live up to a non-live-action standard, even when you have rubber-face actors who are headline names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Should just do some Iron Man cgi where when the veil is up they cut to the actor talking to the camera in a heads up display.