Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ok how about this: the aiel all veil up when they are going to kill, but they all wear discreet name tags with the actor's name on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Boring compromise: the Aiel are super duper arrogant and only veil when killing someone they respect aka other Aiel and Lan.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I really don't think there's even all that many scenes in the whole series where veils on Aiel would be a serious detriment to recognizing specific characters. They're almost exclusively used for dramatic "poo poo's about to go down" or "We cool" effect. The only real instances of Aiel fighting Aiel en masse are the first battle of Cairhein, Dumai's wells, and then kinda at the very end the red veils fighting at shayol ghul.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m really appreciating Gus’ commitment to doing voices on wheel takes. The try hard pouty sexy baby voice for Selene is just perfect.

Gus is a king among men who absolutely loves voicing a sexy woman. This, plus the fact that he actually puts a ton of thought into his accent work and making his voices match the characters' described tones, is why he is a king.

I think he first gives a breakdown when explaining what he's doing with Faile's voice, how he's interpreting the description in the text of her voice, and incorporating the description of her personality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah like, the veils were 100% going to get changed.

Nobody is doing a non-lead part in a goofy genre fantasy series and not having their face be shown to get future work.

The veils are only worn during fight scenes. All the acting would be done with face uncovered. I suppose the main reason is so the audience knows who is fighting, but that is kinda the point of the veils in the first place.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
edit: bleh

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 8, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Some more of the soundtrack dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3OP30RaSfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUIzF8BY4U

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nobody freaks out when sci-fi shows have space suits that light up the actors faces with lights in the helmet despite the fact that would basically blind the astronauts in a dark environment. It’s just something you have to do in a visual medium to let them act.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nobody freaks out when sci-fi shows have space suits that light up the actors faces with lights in the helmet despite the fact that would basically blind the astronauts in a dark environment. It’s just something you have to do in a visual medium to let them act.

Well some people freak out, but the point is well made. I guess as others have said though the veiling is an integral part of who the Aiel are it would be shame to sacrifice that for actor's facial recognition. I'm hoping that the scene is the exception rather than the rule but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The wetlanders aiel dichotomy is a big critique of western cultural arrogance. Changing the aiel to suit western culture is, I suppose, on brand.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Data Graham posted:

Read that as "Ethnically Challenged" and was like drat oof

Given that series' repeated focus on British Wizardry being incredibly racist, classist, sexist, speciesist, nationalist, and imperialist, I'm surprised that exact joke hasn't come up. (It's really good, you should read it).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

for real though is anyone going to one of these screenings.

11 days till it's out!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Really liking the artist they picked to do the soundtrack here.

Did they make a fake language for these songs or what?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's a somewhat expanded version of the Old Tongue from the books.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

buffalo all day posted:

for real though is anyone going to one of these screenings.

11 days till it's out!

I didn't even know there are going to be screenings, but I think I'd rather watch at home. Gonna be a lot of weirdos at those I bet. I'll be a weirdo at home.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is the Old Tongue from the books, going by the lyrics from "al'Naito" they have added words--though, just going by "al'Naito," surprisingly few.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It is the Old Tongue from the books, going by the lyrics from "al'Naito" they have added words--though, just going by "al'Naito," surprisingly few.

Apparently Jordan went through and wrote a mini dictionary of old tongue "translations" for the 1,000 most common words (excepting ones that wouldn't make sense like television or whatever). So that may cover most everything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

How are u posted:

I didn't even know there are going to be screenings, but I think I'd rather watch at home. Gonna be a lot of weirdos at those I bet. I'll be a weirdo at home.

There might be weirdos.

Okay there will be weirdos.

But there are probably going to be a lot of cool people who happen to really like a book series that you enjoy as well!

The world premiere is in London but it looks to be invite only and there seems to be nothing else here which is a shame.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I have a single pass to go to the Chicago screening, but the ACTUAL thing is first come first serve so I don't even know what the pass is good for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

jng2058 posted:

It's a somewhat expanded version of the Old Tongue from the books.

Huh, neat. I didn't realize he'd created enough words to do that. I'd figured that Jordan had just made up a the handful of phrases that are in the books and nothing else. I assume it's probably just a replacement cipher for English though and doesn't have it's own grammar?

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

I would go to a screening if there were one near me.

I've been to a few WoT related events over the years.

The first time someone introduced themselves as "Hi, I'm [name] Sedai and this is my Warder, [name]" I got kinda thrown. But in retrospect they were just ahead of the curve and I wasn't on their level yet. These days though I'd just be "cool, what Ajah?" and make sure their shawl didn't have a black fringe

Point being yes there are gonna be weirdos but these days we might as well all let our freak flag fly. What's the worst that could happen? A plague?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

Huh, neat. I didn't realize he'd created enough words to do that. I'd figured that Jordan had just made up a the handful of phrases that are in the books and nothing else. I assume it's probably just a replacement cipher for English though and doesn't have it's own grammar?

I found an interesting article on this. Answer is "sortof but also not sortof."

quote:

Old Tongue is in most cases an OVS language – that is to say, its sentence structure follows an object-verb-subject pattern.6 Speakers of Klingon will recognize this pattern, as it is one of the very few examples of a language that follows such a structure. This means that even before we can take a crack at building sentences we have to re-learn how sentences are built. For example, in the beginning of this post I greeted everyone with Tia iqet mestani calichniye. A literal translation of this would be “To this lesson welcome.” Looking at an example from the books, we have Mat’s exclamations from his Healing in which he exclaims: Mia ayende, Aes Sedai! Caballein misain ye! Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye! Literally: “Me release, Aes Sedai! [ A ] free man am I! No Aes Sedai meat am I!”

https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/101603-old-tongue-as-a-spoken-language-%E2%80%93-sounds-and-grammar/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This is fun when you see sentences spoken apparently in "common tongue" but however have the object verb subject pattern.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Calenth posted:

The first time someone introduced themselves as "Hi, I'm [name] Sedai and this is my Warder, [name]

Yeah that's the part I don't want, I'm just not a fandom type person. Yeeks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

How are u posted:

Eh, it's still just a movie theater. No matter how goofy or not the person next to you is, they'll shut up and watch the episodes same as you once lights are out.

I have a single pass to go to the Chicago screening, but the ACTUAL thing is first come first serve so I don't even know what the pass is good for.

The pass gives you the right to try to get a seat. No pass means no chance at all. They do say straight up that they're putting out more passes than seats to ensure a full house, and since the Chicago showing is also the one the Wheel Takes folks are going to be at as I understand it, it almost certainly will be full. Show starts at 7, doors open at 6, I'd recommend being there as close to 6 as you can, maybe even earlier.

I may see you there, since I've got two passes for the Chicago show myself. Unfortunately the person I grabbed the second ticket for bailed on me, so I'm casting about for someone else, but there's still a week to try and figure that out, I guess.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jng2058 posted:

Eh, it's still just a movie theater. No matter how goofy or not the person next to you is, they'll shut up and watch the episodes same as you once lights

Sure, sure, fair enough. I'll still be very happy on my soft comfy couch with a fire going and a gin and tonic and my sweet partner enduring some weird fantasy show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Watch nerds camp out overnight and form lines around the block.

:colbert: My rear end will be in my nice cozy mancave watching the way it was meant to be on the 19th.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I virtually never use my living room / actual TV, always on my PC in my room instead but I will for sure be watching this on my big cheap TV.

It'd be fun to go to an "after party", but I don't wanna hear a bunch of random people's dumb commentary during the show. And virtually any movie I go to there is always SOMEONE talking.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I hadn't even thought about the cheering and hooting and hollering the audience will be going at non stop. No thank you!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

How are u posted:

I hadn't even thought about the cheering and hooting and hollering the audience will be going at non stop. No thank you!

You do you, but my favorite experience watching Babylon 5 was in a conference room at the Chicago ComicCon getting to see The Long Twilight Struggle months ahead of its official airing. The energy in the room was amazing, and I'm glad I got to share that with my fellow B5 fans. I expect it to be much the same with fellow WoT fans.

To put it another way, I'll be able to watch the first two episodes of WoT at home for years to come. I'll be able to see it in a movie theater with hundreds of fellow fans only this once.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 9, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

You're posting on a thread on a decades old text forum about a decades old genre book. You are a fandom person, just a self-hating one.

You're not better than them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

You're posting on a thread on a decades old text forum about a decades old genre book. You are a fandom person, just a self-hating one.

You're not better than them.

I don't think I'm better than them, I just find that type of Fandom annoying.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
"what language speak we, hornsounder?"

if i showed up to a screening and couldn't get a seat, it would be my duty to walk among the rooftops and sneak in with a firework "diversion" to watch from the rafters

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
"This pilot wasn't the beginning. There are no beginnings or ends in the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

You do you, but my favorite experience watching Babylon 5 was in a conference room at the Chicago ComicCon getting to see The Long Twilight Struggle months ahead of its official airing. The energy in the room was amazing, and I'm glad I got to share that with my fellow B5 fans. I expect it to be much the same with fellow WoT fans.

To put it another way, I'll be able to watch the first two episodes of WoT at home for years to come. I'll be able to see it in a movie theater with hundreds of fellow fans only this once.

In 2003 I went with a friend to see the Return of the King as an all-day "Trilogy Tuesday" event with a midnight showing following the extended cuts of the first two movies. All day event starting in the early afternoon, meal breaks between with some concessions space set up for it. Packed house, lots of audience energy even at 3am when everyone had been there for like 14 hours. I don't recall seeing so much theater-wide cheering at a movie before or since. Oh, and got a collectable set of three 35mm frames from the movies like this:

I wouldn't do that for just anything. I don't know that I'd do it for WoT like I would for LotR since that was always my first fantasy love. But if it's your thing it's not a chance you'll likely get again.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Killer robot posted:

In 2003 I went with a friend to see the Return of the King as an all-day "Trilogy Tuesday" event with a midnight showing following the extended cuts of the first two movies. All day event starting in the early afternoon, meal breaks between with some concessions space set up for it. Packed house, lots of audience energy even at 3am when everyone had been there for like 14 hours. I don't recall seeing so much theater-wide cheering at a movie before or since. Oh, and got a collectable set of three 35mm frames from the movies like this:

I wouldn't do that for just anything. I don't know that I'd do it for WoT like I would for LotR since that was always my first fantasy love. But if it's your thing it's not a chance you'll likely get again.

I remember attending one of those as well because it just happened to be a random day off school. Me and a buddy ended up next to a couple where the dude was loving done with hobbits and elves after about 7 hours and they almost broke up next to us during Return of the King. I wonder if my little film display is in storage somewhere...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1458117234778206208

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Theres an interview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5TY5ngL5uU where Daniel Henney talks about how a lot of them have relocated and moved their families and stuff to be a part of the series.

I know only two seasons have been officially confirmed thus far but it makes you think that they must have some insider knowledge that it'll probably go the full 8 unless it was an unmitigated disaster.

There also a bunch of new promotional stills in this twitter thread

https://twitter.com/Wiki_of_Time/status/1458372502237896704

Including this glorious shot

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Was Perrin's wolf thing really apparent in the first book? I mean I read that thing over a decade ago but I thought his wolf powers only really started showing up later in the series once the dream world was introduced, and until then he was just a strong dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Was Perrin's wolf thing really apparent in the first book? I mean I read that thing over a decade ago but I thought his wolf powers only really started showing up later in the series once the dream world was introduced, and until then he was just a strong dude.

elyas was in the first book