Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Maybe it's cooling related? The part you're zoomed into is on the opposite side of the fan right? It might be helpful to run the self test and try and see if the fan isn't a dud. I could be biased though, because I'm dealing with a cooling related issue on mine. :D

The self test reports both fans as good, on a few tries. Good thinking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Putty posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a transparent colorless PLA? Working on a project where I'll need to light up small parts from behind with LEDs. Been looking at comparisons on Greybeard3D but am indecisive on it. A bit of fogginess is ok.

nthing transparent PETG, it's my new favorite filament for practical prints, I wish someone sold it in 5kg rolls to just leave loaded

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I cannot loving win with this Mini.

I sorted out the stringing by not doing anything and just printing real stuff, and those skulls went beautifully.

Now I'm seeing this weird marring on new prints that are fairly nondescript shapes, circles It almost looks like it's been scraped.

Is this something I can control? I'm about to swap out my nozzle just in case I got a bad factory one, but that seems silly.

Those kind of look like sliiiiightly messy seams where the layers stop/start. On smooth, convex curved objects like that there is nowhere for a seam to hide so virtually anything stands out like a sore thumb.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
First picture looks like that (especially since the zits are on the side facing the next object) but the 2nd seems to have something else going on; there are a bunch of marks on a single layer. Seems to only be that one layer so maybe the machine got wobbled or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Those kind of look like sliiiiightly messy seams where the layers stop/start. On smooth, convex curved objects like that there is nowhere for a seam to hide so virtually anything stands out like a sore thumb.

This tracks but the skulls are chock full of curved surfaces and they came out beautifully. These are more perfectly circular though so you could be right

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Deviant posted:

This tracks but the skulls are chock full of curved surfaces and they came out beautifully. These are more perfectly circular though so you could be right

That looks like some kind of weird deformation more than zits, is that just a trick of the light? You should be able to see the zits in the slicer also for reference.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

poll plane variant posted:

That looks like some kind of weird deformation more than zits, is that just a trick of the light? You should be able to see the zits in the slicer also for reference.

Here's another photo in different lighting, there's definitely a tangible roughness:

It's not possible that my UPS i have this and my mk3s plugged into could be causing issues, is it? The MK3S has been on it without complaint, and the UPS itself doesn't seem to exhibit any load issues.

Edit: though i did see the stringing plugged straight into a wall outlet before i moved the printer to my office

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 8, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Do you mean this stuff?

If so, those are the layer start/end points, and the fix is mostly hiding them or putting them on a corner that's easy to sand

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Javid posted:

Do you mean this stuff?

If so, those are the layer start/end points, and the fix is mostly hiding them or putting them on a corner that's easy to sand

Ok, I've never seen that before even in round objects but I guess I'm just driving myself neurotic now

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Javid posted:

Do you mean this stuff?

Or tweak coast + retraction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You may be able to reduce the size of them with settings tweaking but there will always be something visible where each layer starts & stops. When your object has a corner or an edge the slicer is supposed to hide them there, but with round objects they are always visible. You can locate them on the least visible side with the seam painter in Prusaslicer (or maybe sand them off), or there is an option to scatter them at random around the object.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2021

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Deviant posted:

Ok, I've never seen that before even in round objects but I guess I'm just driving myself neurotic now

This is fixed with pressure advance. Or.. I think.. coating? It's doable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My understanding was that prusaslicer doesn't do coasting, but I'll look into it

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Prusaslicer on Printer: Extruder1
'retraction' (1mm)
'minimal travel after retraction' (2mm)
'wipe while retracting' (on)
'retraction amount before wipe' (50%)

I have a highend DD extruder, so YMMV.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Prusaslicer on Printer: Extruder1
'retraction' (1mm)
'minimal travel after retraction' (2mm)
'wipe while retracting' (on)
'retraction amount before wipe' (50%)

I have a highend DD extruder, so YMMV.

Prusaslicer defaults already have me at:

retraction: 3.2mm
minimal travel after retraction: 1.5mm
wipe: on
retract amount: 70

I could turn that retraction amount up, but can't that cause jamming?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deviant posted:

Prusaslicer defaults already have me at:

retraction: 3.2mm
minimal travel after retraction: 1.5mm
wipe: on
retract amount: 70

I could turn that retraction amount up, but can't that cause jamming?

It can if the hot filament gets way back past the melt zone in the heater but it may be worth trying a little more retraction since it's not directly pulling the plastic back that much so much as pulling filament back to reduce the pressure in the nozzle and hopefully prevent oozing. I have my Sunlu S8 at 5mm which is similar to a CR-10, but my direct drive monoprice maker select is at 1mm or so. Length of the bowden tube and therefore extrusion pressures over distance will be a determining factor. I'd google around to see what other folks have tried on the mini since it's a popular printer.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Rexxed posted:

It can if the hot filament gets way back past the melt zone in the heater but it may be worth trying a little more retraction since it's not directly pulling the plastic back that much so much as pulling filament back to reduce the pressure in the nozzle and hopefully prevent oozing. I have my Sunlu S8 at 5mm which is similar to a CR-10, but my direct drive monoprice maker select is at 1mm or so. Length of the bowden tube and therefore extrusion pressures over distance will be a determining factor. I'd google around to see what other folks have tried on the mini since it's a popular printer.

I'd be interested in how people have it set on the MK3+ as well

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been running into this particular issue a few times recently -- when I print super thin parts (ie. bowstrings or arrows) in resin the thin part warps very badly after it's all processed. Sometimes it straightens back again after drying, but other times it never does. Any advice/tips on what to do in these cases?

Like in the image below where the arrow has dried warped.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have been experimenting with adding glitter mica into resin and the answer to "how much glitter mica can you add to resin before your prints fail" is "not very much, turns out"

but UV glowing mica? go fuckin ham you can add that poo poo for days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

InternetJunky posted:

I've been running into this particular issue a few times recently -- when I print super thin parts (ie. bowstrings or arrows) in resin the thin part warps very badly after it's all processed. Sometimes it straightens back again after drying, but other times it never does. Any advice/tips on what to do in these cases?

i like his fancy arrow

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, the ol' archer's paradox.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I have had something like this happen when I was removing supports prior to completely post-curing. The way I've had it described to me is that the supports help keep the shape of the model as it's post-curing, and by removing them early you're allowing the material to cure in weird ways like that.

If you're removing supports prior to post-curing, try leaving them on while curing and see if it helps.

Zorro KingOfEngland fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 9, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

I have been experimenting with adding glitter mica into resin and the answer to "how much glitter mica can you add to resin before your prints fail" is "not very much, turns out"

but UV glowing mica? go fuckin ham you can add that poo poo for days

Is there any sort of iridescent compound or dye I can add to a clear resin? It should look like synthwave and vaporwave threw up.

My white whale is the Promare burnish flame effect without any sort of post processing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I now think I got a defective fan from the beginning because a lot of times when I ran the self test, it would ask me if both fans were spinning and then just said everything was fine when I entered in "yes". Every time except one, both fans were spinning.

You may have had a defective 5015 from the start but that part of the self-test is just because the electronics don't read the tachometer wire coming from the fan so they get you to visually confirm that they're spinning

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mewse posted:

You may have had a defective 5015 from the start but that part of the self-test is just because the electronics don't read the tachometer wire coming from the fan so they get you to visually confirm that they're spinning

Have they changed this? Neither of my prusas ever asked me if the fans were spinning, they autodetected.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah same actually. When I first got it the self test just automatically detected it and just went straight to "OK" for both fans. Then the self test seemed to consistently ask me whether or not the fans were spinning.

I think it asks you if it cant reliably read the signal. I guess if it needs to ask then it should just tell you to replace the fan instead. Not sure lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Have they changed this? Neither of my prusas ever asked me if the fans were spinning, they autodetected.

Oh it might've changed for the mk3 control board, my experience was with mk2/mk2.5

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

InternetJunky posted:

I'd like to point out that this bow's limbs are not bent as they should be, making the string comically long, also the draw length is way too long, the artist should fix this :colbert:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

InternetJunky posted:

plenty of supports left in place during curing is generally the best you can do without redesigning the part to inherently be more resistant to warping (i.e. adding a rib to reinforce a thin and warp-prone area). i find the print orientation can also have a big impact on stability, like a thin rod printed standing on end will be more stable than one printed at an angle, but it isn't usually worth reorienting the whole model to suit one small troubled bit; if you can slice and dice the model, printing the trickiest bits on their own and with an ideal setup might be worth your time, then reassemble and glue before painting.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Is there any sort of iridescent compound or dye I can add to a clear resin? It should look like synthwave and vaporwave threw up.

My white whale is the Promare burnish flame effect without any sort of post processing

If you want to get cool swirly effects, you’re out of luck. The build plate will just agitate whatever into a smooth brew

However, basically any fluorescent mica powder you can find on Amazon can be mixed in to reasonable results

E: or alcohol inks if you’re just looking for a specific color resin

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Deviant posted:

Is there a recommended food dehydrator? I have the sunlu box but I use that for filament dispensing on active prints.

You can turn on the heat while it's printing. Also don't use a lighter, us a heat gun for getting rid of stringing.

Also I had my first ever PLA blob build up on the MK3+ hot end, and while cleaning it I managed to break the thermistor wire. :doh:

Welp, I guess I have to remember how to take the hot end apart again, unless someone has an easier way. It doesn't look very accessible like the Ender hot end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

You can turn on the heat while it's printing. Also don't use a lighter, us a heat gun for getting rid of stringing.

Also I had my first ever PLA blob build up on the MK3+ hot end, and while cleaning it I managed to break the thermistor wire. :doh:

Welp, I guess I have to remember how to take the hot end apart again, unless someone has an easier way. It doesn't look very accessible like the Ender hot end.

I have blobbed up my hot end so many dang time
And the first time I just called it a wash and tore the entire thing apart to get it out and clean it

And then later I stumbled on this guide from prusa which has been invaluable

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/how-to-replace-a-ptfe-tube-mk3s-mk2-5s-mmu2s_21664

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Friend, I live in Florida. The heat gets turned on one day a year to burn the dust off.

Sockser posted:

If you want to get cool swirly effects, you’re out of luck. The build plate will just agitate whatever into a smooth brew

However, basically any fluorescent mica powder you can find on Amazon can be mixed in to reasonable results

E: or alcohol inks if you’re just looking for a specific color resin

Yeah, unfortunately i'd absolutely want that iridescent shimmer:

our current solution is to print in clear/transparent and then put colored lights inside

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Friend, I live in Florida. The heat gets turned on one day a year to burn the dust off.

Yeah, unfortunately i'd absolutely want that iridescent shimmer:

our current solution is to print in clear/transparent and then put colored lights inside

So something that you could potentially do maybe hypothetically
Is print a perfectly clear model, hollowed, clean and cure it, and then slowly fill it with different colored resins, curing them individually as you go

This is a pretty neat idea and I may actually gently caress around with it

Or you could add different colored resins to your vat as it prints to get a cool gradient as it prints, I’ve definitely seen some YouTubers do that (maybe Billie Rubens?)

e:
approximate timestamp here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNgtWLBs4tc&t=620s

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

Is print a perfectly clear model, hollowed, clean and cure it, and then slowly fill it with different colored resins, curing them individually as you go

Or you could add different colored resins to your vat as it prints to get a cool gradient as it prints, I’ve definitely seen some YouTubers do that (maybe Billie Rubens?)

e:

to each point:
1) wouldn't this use a ton of resin, weigh a ton, and not cure the center fully?
2) I like this a lot but i'm hesitant to run lean on resin and fully babysit a 7 hour print. It's an interesting idea though

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

to each point:
1) wouldn't this use a ton of resin, weigh a ton, and not cure the center fully?

I've got a new resin printer with a clean vat showing up later today so we're gonna fuckin find out

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sockser posted:

I've got a new resin printer with a clean vat showing up later today so we're gonna fuckin find out

Well, it's worth noting that uncured resin eventually offgasses and causes parts to explode, so uh, keep an eye on it I guess?

Edit: how long has there been a 3d printer gang tag. i gotta get me that thing.
Edit edit: aww yeah

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

e:

Assuming the clear resin is fully UV-transparent you could fill it up say a third of the way, leave it in the curing station long enough to cure a cm or two of it it (maybe blocking off the top surface to stop it curing for ease of the next step), pour it out leaving the cured shell behind, then fill up with another colour two thirds of the way, etc. Might get some weird/interesting effects as the subsequent colours cure to the previous ones. As it's hollow you could also then use a UV torch or strip to cure the inside fully too.

(Note - I know absolutely nothing about resin printing, this is just something I've done with wax and cold water to produce interesting weird candles)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Could I just add fine iridescent glitter, or would that gently caress up the print (and potentially the vat)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You folks have helped me before, but I'm a little stuck with parts losing bed adhesion again.

I'm printing PLA on a Prusa Mk3, on the smooth sheet. I was having similar issues to last time in that I was getting a few layers in and then the head was picking up the part and moving it around.

I added some glue to the bed (glue stick that came with the printer) and added a 10mm brim and that helped a lot, but then it happened again right at the last few layers (after 4 hours of printing):

I'd like to set a bunch of these printing while I'm away over the weekend (fire hazard?) and it'd be great not to come back to a lumpy puddle of white plastic. Any tips? I have the textured sheet available if that'd do better.